PDA

View Full Version : Is there an easier way? Changing surface colors

Steve Warner
09-15-2002, 01:04 AM
Hi guys. Ok, don't flame me! I need to animate the colors of several different objects so that they all become the same color. For example, one object is blue, one is green, and one is orange. I need to animate them so that they all turn purple. None of the objects use painted texture maps. Just surface color and procedurals. I have set up my base color and set keyframes in an envelope for where the colors should all change. What's throwing me is that instead of being able to pick a new RGB color, I'm having to guess at RGB values that go from 0 to 100% instead of 0-255. Is there an easier way to envelope surface color? I'm thinking specifically about being able to set a keyframe with the color one way, then set another color keyframe, change the RGB slider, and be done.

If that can't be done, is there an easy way to convert RGB to percentages? Do I really need to bust out a calculator and do this by hand?

Thanks!

Steve

proton
09-15-2002, 01:16 AM
could you do this with an expression?

I'm not the best with expressions but it sure sounds like the solution....I'll pass the question on to Bob Hood...

DigitalDeuce
09-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Here's an easier way -- and it is, your just thinking too hard. ;)

Load in a dummy object. Set any surface to be the color purple that you want. Now, click on the "E" beside color as if you were going to animate from this purple.

It will show you the purple, in "percent" version.
Write those numbers down.

Since you already have keyframes where you want the change to occur, just type in those values that you just wrote down.

Easy?

Steve Warner
09-15-2002, 01:26 AM
Thanks, Proton. :) I set up a simple algebraic equation on paper and got the 8-bit RGB numbers converted to percentages, but it was time-consuming and counterintuitive. I'd be interested to know if there's an easier way. Thanks for checking! :beer:

DigitalDeuce, that is a great workaround! I should have waited a few more minutes before just going it alone. Doh!

The type of thing I'm looking for is how you keyframe colors in After Effects. Just set your parameter, click a keyframe, change your time setting, change your parameter, you're done. :)

Steve

hobbit72
09-15-2002, 10:28 PM
Hi Steve

yes, there is a better way, and dont worry, it took me a while to find it too.

Go to surfaces, select envelope for color, and then right click on the keyframe indicator in graph editor and select the color picker from the menu.

I use version 7, dont know if the other versions support this

LyonHaert
09-16-2002, 04:11 AM
press 'o' for the General Options, and change Color Format (just underneath Color Picker) from Integer to Percentage.

edit: in the least, this allows you to see what your colors look like as RGB percentages instead of integers.

Rogue
09-16-2002, 04:20 AM
Or, if all else fails, you could do it the old fashioned way. Create a duplicate object of each of your objects to change color. Make their surfaces what you want them to be. Make them 100% dissolved or unseen by camera/rays in your scene. Use the old fashioned morph option and morph each of your objects to the new colored objects and turn on the 'morph surfaces' option on each of them.

It may not be the modern way, but it works and you can make changes to all the surface attributes you want and it's all animatable within the morph envelope panel. Not to mention the fact that you can surface your new object and render it to see if that's what you want just like you'd surface any other object...so there is no guess work.

Techniques from the dinosaur days of LW. :)

Steve Warner
09-16-2002, 03:40 PM
Thanks, guys! These are great suggestions. I'll try them out this afternoon!

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.