PDA

View Full Version : new wacom cintiq 21"

ernest
02-14-2005, 05:59 PM
just saw the news, and it looks pretty nice :) especially the price ;)

link... (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/peripherals/input/wacom-cintiq-21ux-touch-screen-flatpanel-033025.php)

Wacom Upgrades Interactive Technology

Jan. 26—Wacom Technology Corp., Vancouver, Wash., recently released the Cintiq 21UX interactive pen display that allows users to work with a pen directly on a 21.3” color-accurate LCD. The Cintiq 21UX offers more screen area, more contrast, more pen control, more resolution and more comfort than previous versions, the company says. It carries a suggested retail price of $2,499 and will begin shipping in March.

”My research has indicated that using a Cintiq has the potential to significantly improve the proficiency with which radiologists can contour nodules directly on CT slices when conducting cancer screening studies,” says Matthew Brown, Ph D, of the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine. “The convenient placement of Touch Strips on the Cintiq 21UX for finger-sensitive scroll control will greatly improve the ease with which practitioners can cine through the ever-increasing volume of CT slices.”

The 21.3” display features UXGA (1,600 pixel x 1,200 pixel) resolution, a 170-degree viewing angle, anti-glare and hard texture coatings, 24-bit color with ICC color profile, a 400:1 contrast ratio, and 250 cd/m2 brightness. The tablet technology provides 5,080 lines-per-inch resolution, 1,024 levels of pressure sensitivity, and pen tilt sensitivity. A unique stand allows the Cintiq 21UX to be rotated 180 degrees in either direction and tilted to any angle between 10 and 65 degrees. The device works on either Windows or Mac operating systems.

chadtheartist
02-14-2005, 06:03 PM
That would be awesome to own! I wonder how well a Cintaq works for Zbrush? That would be the ultimate tool IMO!

SheepFactory
02-14-2005, 06:14 PM
whats the resolution on this baby!?

:drool:

chadtheartist
02-14-2005, 06:19 PM
The 18" version has a resolution of 1280 X 1024. If it has that I would be happy. I think this is going to be my Christmas present at the end of the year!

SheepFactory
02-14-2005, 06:22 PM
just found out that it has 1600 x 1200 resolution and tilt support.

I am sooo getting one as soon as possible :D

using zbrush with this will be so much fun!

Kassar
02-14-2005, 06:23 PM
Awesome, but is very expensive :P

Per-Anders
02-14-2005, 06:23 PM
*drooooooooools*.... i want one... it needs to be march sooner.

SheepFactory
02-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Awesome, but is very expensive :P

it is no more expensive than a apple flat screen of same dimension , the cintique 18" was priced at $3500 upon release by the way and is currently $2300.

Not saying its cheap or anything , just relatively good priced compared to what you get :)

ThomasMahler
02-14-2005, 06:31 PM
Count me in, in the "I wish I could afford one, but absolutely can't at the moment" list :(

Man, working with this one would be SWEET!

DanSilverman
02-14-2005, 07:31 PM
I have the 15" version and I am sure to get the 21" version as soon as it is available. That is totally awesome.

Oh, it works great for ZBrush and just about any modeler and 2D application. I love my Cintiq.

SheepFactory
02-14-2005, 08:07 PM
hey dan do you get any arm\wrist fatigue when using cintique?

-Vormav-
02-14-2005, 08:10 PM
*drools*
If only I had a spare $2500 sitting around...
That definitely would be nice for Z Brush.

opus13
02-14-2005, 08:19 PM
wow. they finally got around to making the cintiq worthwhile!

the 18" was novel and all... but unwieldy with low resolution and a laughable pricetag

Kirt
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
Officially placed on my wish list. :drool:

kjc
02-14-2005, 09:20 PM
Any news on the response time? I'm wondering if it's feasible to animate with one of these.

DanSilverman
02-14-2005, 09:23 PM
hey dan do you get any arm\wrist fatigue when using cintique?

No. I lay it as flat as it can lay and it is just like drawing. You do encounter some problems, though. You hand can get in the way when selecting menus, etc. But it is a very minor problem. The freedom you gain by having natural hand-eye coordination when modeling or drawing/painting is well worth it.

the 18" was novel and all... but unwieldy with low resolution and a laughable pricetag

What are you talking about? I have the 15", which has an even lower screen resolution, and it is anything but "novel". It is an incredibly useful tool.

ArtisticVisions
02-14-2005, 10:54 PM
If I wasn't broke, I'd so buy this.....

SheepFactory
02-14-2005, 10:58 PM
is there a solid date for this by the way? early march , late march?

peanuckle
02-14-2005, 11:06 PM
Darn just bought a new Intuos3. Still very temping though...I think I will just wait to buy a good tablet pc though.

Maverick3d
02-14-2005, 11:09 PM
I never liked Cintiqs. There's too much of a gap between the tip of your pen and the actual screen. It's like drawing on paper through a sheet of glass. I found a $99 Graphire way more value. Maybe they've fixed that with this model. We'll see.

Pinionist
02-15-2005, 12:04 AM
(...) There's too much of a gap between the tip of your pen and the actual screen. (...)

A friend of mine who's a pro 2d animator loves Cintinq in his work and he found a way how to make this offset so that you could draw and leave stroke where your pen acctually touches. It could be done by using Wacom driver tool.

I think this 21" is a bit of 'too pro' for me. That includes price. I bet it would be way more cool to buy the largest Intuos 3 tablet and decent monitor/lcd screen.

Keith Osborn
02-15-2005, 03:12 AM
Can any Cintiq users comment on lag time? Does the cursor keep up with the pen tip - even when quickly sketching?

heavyness
02-15-2005, 03:18 AM
i'm getting 2.... well you need duel screen... right?

i would rule at Counter Strike with that.....

eks
02-15-2005, 05:26 AM
now im curious. :curious: how would a cintiq help you with counter strike?

eks

vrf
02-15-2005, 05:41 AM
Can any Cintiq users comment on lag time? Does the cursor keep up with the pen tip - even when quickly sketching?

AFAIK, the response and lag time is entirely dependent on your computer's horsepower. If the CPU/RAM can handle the resolution of the image, the Cintiq is instantaneous. (Like on the Intuos.)

One thing I'd like to know is if they've made the device any lighter. Lots of users said the 18x, although a great desktop tool, was too heavy to use in an easy-chair or on a couch. Not that that's a deal-breaker for me or anything. (The price may be, though.)

bentllama
02-15-2005, 07:56 AM
too bad it isnt bluetooth. imagine having a wireless one...now that would rock.

pogonip
02-15-2005, 08:26 AM
If your can havea wireless mouse I dont see why this cant be wireless and for the price it should be !!! It would be a very good investment for someone who makes a lot of money doing 2D work like a concept artist or digital texturing artist . Though for 2500 you can buy a TOP TOP of the line PC with all the works ...so ...

Irmisato
02-15-2005, 08:32 AM
I think a wireless mouse is somethig very different to a cintiq.
And the cintiq will be wireless, as soon as wireless monitors are usual.

Greets, Irmisato

UrbanFuturistic
02-15-2005, 08:50 AM
Except for the sliiiight difference that a mouse doesn't usually work as a 1600x1200 display as well, good luck getting a wireless DVI-I connection :p

Anyway, time to rob that bank...

regards, Paul

ernest
02-15-2005, 08:57 AM
Except for the sliiiight difference that a mouse doesn't usually work as a 1600x1200 display as well, good luck getting a wireless DVI-I connection

yeah, and don't forget about the power. I guess this babe doesn't run that long with two mignon-cells ;)

DrFx
02-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Good Lord, it's the Coolest Peripheral Ever!

Sovereign
02-15-2005, 02:17 PM
Wacom web pages now say $2999.:sad:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_21UX.cfm

Wacom people must have seen artists liking $2500, so they raise price. Or was always $2999?

NanoGator
02-15-2005, 03:32 PM
*Sticker shock*

I think I'll stick with my 1440 by 1050 Tablet PC for < $2,000.

SheepFactory
02-15-2005, 04:42 PM
Wacom web pages now say $2999.:sad:

http://www.wacom.com/lcdtablets/index_21UX.cfm

Wacom people must have seen artists liking $2500, so they raise price. Or was always $2999?

What the hell?!

thank you wacom , you just lost a customer :\

Bullit
02-15-2005, 05:29 PM
I wish they'll tranform that in a Tablet PC as an option

CintiQ Tablet PC with AMD/Intel CPU that wil be great.

Dont forget to wash your hands before using it... :)

NanoGator
02-15-2005, 05:33 PM
I wish they'll tranform that in a Tablet PC has an option

CintiQ Tablet PC with AMD/Intel CPU that wil be great.

Dont forget to wash your before using it... :)

Most TabletPCs have Wacom digitizers anway. ;)

DanSilverman
02-15-2005, 05:48 PM
thank you wacom , you just lost a customer :\

Settle down ;) . It is always less expensive to purchase through a reseller. All these companies do this on purpose. As a matter of fact, if you go to the Wacom site and click on the "How to Buy" button (under the price of the 21" Cintiq) it will list three resellers. It also lists their prices and they are all showing $2499.

SheepFactory
02-15-2005, 08:30 PM
Settle down ;) . It is always less expensive to purchase through a reseller. All these companies do this on purpose. As a matter of fact, if you go to the Wacom site and click on the "How to Buy" button (under the price of the 21" Cintiq) it will list three resellers. It also lists their prices and they are all showing $2499.

phew...

that certainly made me happy again :) , i'll pick one up after test driving it at gdc.

Shogmaster
02-15-2005, 10:12 PM
Hehe, this is the thread where all the action is. Thanks to kwshipman for linking it from my late thread.

I just sold my 18SX (which I dearly loved for the last 7 months, but such love is fleeting in this high tech jungle :D) on eaby for $2100. I'm SOOOOO ready for the 21UX!

Even though Wacom is listing 21UX for $2999, all the stores that they linked to is selling it for $2499. I guess $2499 is the street price for now. It's a solid price for sure. Big improvement over the days when they were charging $1899 for 15X and $3499 for 18SX.

I've had 3 Wacom LCD tablets in the last 4 years (Sony LX900, 15X, and 18SX) and the 21UX will be my 4th. They are a godsend for what I do most, which is sketching digitally. I thought 512 levels of pressure sensitivity of 15X and 18SX was more than enough (and many Tablet PC users feel that the 256 levels they get from their Wacom penabled TPCs is plenty too), but I'm definitely looking forward to using tilt with Painter and Photoshop thanks to 21UX. 1024 levels of PS certainly won't hurt anything either. ;)

And the size..... yes, the great expanse of 21" LCD...... 12.75" x 17" baby! Oh yeah!

Per-Anders
02-15-2005, 10:17 PM
hmm you've had 4... i hope that's no indication of the build quality or how long these things last?

Shogmaster
02-15-2005, 10:18 PM
hmm you've had 4... i hope that's no indication of the build quality or how long these things last?

It's an indication of how big a tech whore I am.... *bows head in shame*

However, I do have to say that Sony LX900 was a big pile of doggy doodoo. Not Wacom's fault though. Sony dropped the ball on the LCD hinge design, among other things...

And that's 3 I've had, not 4. 21UX will be the 4th. And I still have my 15X, which works perfectly to this day. Well, I don't have it anymore but my sister does. :D

DanSilverman
02-15-2005, 11:27 PM
Yes, the Cintiqs are built well and solid. I bang (not intentionally) my 15" Cintiq around ever day and it works like it did the first day I unpacked it.

I may pre-order one of these 21-ers, though. My only complaint on the 15" Cintiq was the screen resolution. I run my main monitor at 1600 x 1200 and really wanted to run the Cintiq at that, but the 15" Cintiq is limited to 1024 x 768, which makes Photoshop and other programs seem a bit cramped. Having 1600 x 1200 pixels to play with on a 21.3" Cintiq would be a sort of dream come true for me.

vrf
02-15-2005, 11:39 PM
Well, the thing is 22 pounds, so no lap holding, I guess.

Still, what an awesome tool. Those "chordable" buttons on the sides would be great for mapping keyboard shortcuts to. With eight keys, you can you map space, alt, cntrl, shift and a bunch of others. You wouldn't have to reach for the keyboard for the simple pan/color sampling stuff. Very cool.

Hugh-Jass
02-16-2005, 02:35 AM
the "artist tablet pc"

like a digital sketchpad ...at 18" or 21 " with this level of sensitivity/resolution... then it might even be portable

a friend of mine loves his acer tablet for sketching.

Per-Anders
02-16-2005, 02:56 AM
if they made a sketchpad version i would want them to make a pocket-pc/ipaq sized one so that you can take it with your everywhere and be inobtrusive. tablet pc's are too big and bulky currently.

eMeisel
02-16-2005, 09:23 AM
That's the reason, why I am waiting for the perfekt tablet PC. I don't want to be bound to the desk, when I want to paint. It should be a tablet PC, that is manufactored especially for digital artits. It should weight close to nothing and should be sensitive like a Wacom tablet.

Best regards

EMI

Shogmaster
02-16-2005, 11:54 AM
That's the reason, why I am waiting for the perfekt tablet PC. I don't want to be bound to the desk, when I want to paint. It should be a tablet PC, that is manufactored especially for digital artits. It should weight close to nothing and should be sensitive like a Wacom tablet.

Best regards

EMI

I think you guys should think a little more about what you are asking for. 15"~18" LCD TPC is going to be ginormous and super heavy. Not exactly portable. The Acer C300, which is currently one of the biggest TPC @ 14" LCD, is approaching 10 pounds. It's bordering on impractical for carrying around. Any bigger, you'll almost never take it around with you.

Another thing to keep in mind is that in a TPC, the LCD tablet is married to the laptop, and when the laptop is too weak to handle the newest programs or has problems, you will have to ditch the LCD Tablet along with it. My sister is still using my first gen Cintiq 15X (3years old). My friend has ditched his 2 year old Toshiba C3500 Tabelt PC already (which was never fast enough for him in the first place with it's 1.3Ghz P3) because the warranty is over and the mobo is done for.

After years of LCD tablet experience, I have come to following philosophy: Do the initial ideation sketching or thumbnail paintings on a small and light Tablet PC, then finish it up at home on a big and heavy, but the most capable LCD tablet (Cintiq) connected to a fast desktop with googobs of RAM.

In the upcoming months, TPC manufacturers are going to hit less than $1500 pricepoint with Wacom penabled TPCs. I'm going to grab one of those for my mobile ideation needs (I'd like to sketch at Starbucks or the library and such), but when it comes time to hunker down and get serious with finishing a illustration, it's back home to work on my 21UX with a big fast desktop.

danimation2001
02-16-2005, 02:53 PM
”My research has indicated that using a Cintiq has the potential to significantly improve the proficiency with which radiologists can contour nodules directly on CT slices when conducting cancer screening studies,” says Matthew Brown, Ph D, of the University of California, Los Angeles School of Medicine.

So what this is saying then, is that I wont get a good dose of radiation to my hand when I use this thing?

SheepFactory
02-16-2005, 03:32 PM
So what this is saying then, is that I wont get a good dose of radiation to my hand when I use this thing?

lcd's dont emit much radiation , you are confusing it with a crt.

peanuckle
02-16-2005, 08:00 PM
I really miss the iridescent tan I got from the old crt's. I thought it was handsome :)

Kananga
02-17-2005, 02:39 AM
Has anyone used one of these cintiq's and decided they prefer the 'old fashioned' wacoms? I know thats unlikely, but I need to be discouraged from forking out the $4000 it going to cost me (oz $). Maybe they found it unresponsive, or the gap between the pen and the cursor was annoying as someone said. Just something that put them off enough to say "Nah", please?

If its as good as it looks, Im in touble.:D

DanSilverman
02-17-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, my IntousII is collecting dust because of my Cintiq. I love it and you would have to pry it from my cold, dead fingers. Well, I will actually give it to one of the people I work with because I am certainly planning on getting the 21" version :) .

The response time is fine (as far as I am concerned) and the "gap" between the actual pen and the cursor (due to the glass) is minimal. It is just so much better than looking at a monitor and moving your hand on a tablet on the desk. It is just exactly like real drawing in so many ways.

vrf
02-17-2005, 11:27 PM
The response time is fine (as far as I am concerned) and the "gap" between the actual pen and the cursor (due to the glass) is minimal. It is just so much better than looking at a monitor and moving your hand on a tablet on the desk. It is just exactly like real drawing in so many ways.

Dan, can you give a quick comment on how you use the Cintiq with keyboard shortcuts? (like space for panning, alt for sampling, etc.) Do you have a keyboard just placed as closely as possible, or do you just click on toolbox buttons or menu items from the Cintiq.

I think one of the neatest features of the 21ux would be the smartkeys and touch strips, which would allow you to zoom, pan, sample, swith tools, etc all on the drawing surface. But if it's not too much trouble to use a keyboard with the 18 inch model, I could save myself a little money.

Although there is that new tilt function, too... :)

Shogmaster
02-18-2005, 02:20 AM
VERY COOL DETAIL I JUST DUG UP ABOUT THE 21UX!!

The LCD is a Hitachi unit that's also in the award winning Eizo ColorEdge 21 (http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg21/index.asp)! A very good LCD for color work.

Thanks to Joe at Wacom US tech support for the info.

vrf
02-18-2005, 03:37 AM
VERY COOL DETAIL I JUST DUG UP ABOUT THE 21UX!!

The LCD is a Hitachi unit that's also in the award winning Eizo ColorEdge 21 (http://www.eizo.com/products/graphics/cg21/index.asp)! A very good LCD for color work.

Thanks to Joe at Wacom US tech support for the info.

Wow, very cool. Thanks for the info.

Funny, I just punched ColorEdge CG21 into Froogle, and came up with prices higher than what the 21UX will sell for.

http://www.google.com/froogle?q=ColorEdge+CG21

This thing is going to do very well, it seems. Hope they have enough supply. There's nothing like killing off ethusiasm for a product by not putting enough of them on shelves. (And Wacom, unfortunately, is known for slow production.)

JDex
02-18-2005, 03:42 AM
This does look very promising. It will definitely be worth a test drive or two.

Kananga
02-18-2005, 04:17 AM
Hard to say until I use it, but I think I'd probably want to have a standard mouse or wacom to use in tandem with this tablet. I was wondering if I can just have my normal wacom in front of this or do you need the Cintiq 'Partner' especially for that kind of setup?

Saurus
02-18-2005, 05:02 AM
if they made a sketchpad version i would want them to make a pocket-pc/ipaq sized one so that you can take it with your everywhere and be inobtrusive. tablet pc's are too big and bulky currently.

May not be a size of a ipaq, but the HP Compaq Tablet PC tc1100 is pretty small. I saw someone in a coffee shop and it looks like a size of a notepad. It's about 3.1 pound and has a GeForce 4 Go video card. Someone on a forum said he was able to play HL2 on it.

DanSilverman
02-18-2005, 09:54 AM
Dan, can you give a quick comment on how you use the Cintiq with keyboard shortcuts? (like space for panning, alt for sampling, etc.) Do you have a keyboard just placed as closely as possible, or do you just click on toolbox buttons or menu items from the Cintiq.

Since the "old" Cintiq I have does not have any buttons I simply place the keyboard off to the left at an angle and access shortcut keys via my left hand. I am right-handed and so I can continue to work with my right hand on the Cintiq.

I am also excited about the buttons on the new 21" Cintiq :) .

I was wondering if I can just have my normal wacom in front of this or do you need the Cintiq 'Partner' especially for that kind of setup?

You can certainly use your "normal" Wacom tablet. When you are not using the Cintiq's pen (i.e. using it as a tablet) then it is nothing more than another screen. The Cintiq partner is simply a mini-tablet in order to use the Cintiq pen on your other monitor. The reason for this is the Cintiq pen does not work on a tablet (and neither does the tablet pen work on the Cintiq).

Shogmaster
02-18-2005, 03:10 PM
Hard to say until I use it, but I think I'd probably want to have a standard mouse or wacom to use in tandem with this tablet. I was wondering if I can just have my normal wacom in front of this or do you need the Cintiq 'Partner' especially for that kind of setup?

You can use multiple Wacom tablets in a single computer (the new drivers will handle it), but for maximum efficiency, you'd want to have a Intuos 3 to control second monitor or just back up tablet duties since you won't have to switch pens this way.

Truthfully though, unless you plan on doing multiple monitors, just keep a mouse attached. With the 15X and 18SX, I just had the Cintiq for tablet functions, and the mouse for occasional right click-a-thon browsing (I mapped the left click pen buttons for CTRL+Z in Wacom control panel).

MDurante
02-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Very basic question:

Can the Cintiq replace a primary monitor or does it require a graphics card with dual video outputs?

This may be obvious to most of you but I haven't seen it spelled out anywhere...

Thanks,

- Matthew Durante

Shogmaster
02-19-2005, 04:45 PM
Very basic question:

Can the Cintiq replace a primary monitor or does it require a graphics card with dual video outputs?

This may be obvious to most of you but I haven't seen it spelled out anywhere...

Thanks,

- Matthew Durante

When I use to have the 15X, I ran it in a dual monitor set up (with a help of a USB Wacom PenPartner) since the 9"x12" realestate and the 1024x768 resolution was a bit too constricting by itself. The 15X was the primary and all the pallettes were on the secondary, controled with the same pen via the Pen Partner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/Workstation3.jpg

This worked OK, but I did notice 2 monitors slowing down the performance of Painter 7. Plus, if you have the second monitor at a different vertical resolution than the first, Painter would freak out and crash sometimes.

Then when I got my 18SX, I decided that the resolution was high enough not to bother with the dual monitor, and that the second monitor was better served for the second computer that could run the researched or reference images, next to my workstation linked 18SX.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/18SX4.jpg

I also noticed that since most of the stuff I drew was more of 16:9 ratio than 4:3 (figures vertically, and cars and vehicles horizontally), by placing the pallettes on the bottom of the screen in Painter (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v105/Shogmaster/P9rocksSM.jpg), I got exactly what I needed. This all came with added benefits of zippier performance under Painter since it was just one monitor.

Now with the 21UX, I plan on doing the same set up as I did with my 18SX. 21UX should run fine as either a primary or secondary monitor, either via a dual head video card, or using 2 seperate cards like I did back in 15X days, but with the 1600x1200 res, that's not even close to necessary. A decent single head video card with fast enough RAMDAC (for DB15 connection) or just big enough bandwidth (for DVI) to drive 1600x1200 should be fine for running single monitor.

MDurante
02-19-2005, 06:44 PM
Wow, thanks Shogmaster, you are the master shog there is no doubt. That more than answers my question and it is interesting to learn how you work with the Cintiq. I even like your art!

Even better, you gave the "right answer". Since it can work as a primary monitor I might be saved the cost of hardware upgrades...

- Matthew Durante

SheepFactory
02-19-2005, 06:45 PM
thats one messy desk :)

EvilDan
02-19-2005, 09:04 PM
Sweet, I sold my 15x cintiq just in time :) I'll be picking up one these bad boys as soon as i save enough money. Shog, ill will join the cintiq club again soon :P

RayenD
02-19-2005, 09:35 PM
Oh, I need this one.. I rarely get excited by new hardware (except guitars), but this is something I desire :).

Time to save cash for it, the price seems to be reasonable. I wonder how much it will cost in EU.

Kananga
02-20-2005, 01:38 AM
Just out of interest, whats the durabilty of the screen like? Do you notice any wear or scuffing after years of use?

mojoman
02-20-2005, 03:58 AM
Curious----does a tablet PC have the potential of ever getting the features of the
Cintique.....i.e. pressure sensitivity, accuracy, tilt, timeliness etc.

Ideally I would like to work in a mobile capacity so that I can take notes and paint in class at the same time. Would be nice to have my computer and painting tablet wrapped into one neat little package.

Microsoft should buy Wacom and team up to make a nifty little painting platform that you can take to business meetings!

rebo
02-20-2005, 04:09 AM
Microsoft should buy Wacom

Please for the love of god dont give them any ideas.

bentllama
02-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Please for the love of god dont give them any ideas.

that would actually be a good thing...then I could get one dirt cheap at the company store! ;)

Shogmaster
02-20-2005, 08:50 AM
Wow, thanks Shogmaster, you are the master shog there is no doubt. That more than answers my question and it is interesting to learn how you work with the Cintiq. I even like your art!

Even better, you gave the "right answer". Since it can work as a primary monitor I might be saved the cost of hardware upgrades...

You're welcome, and thanks. :D

thats one messy desk :)

That pic is after I cleaned up a bit. LOL

Just out of interest, whats the durabilty of the screen like? Do you notice any wear or scuffing after years of use?

Depends on how heavy handed you are when you draw. My 15X was still fine after couple of years of use, but my friend's 15X was fairly gouged up due to his heavy hands. He got the outer screen replaced through Wacom for free though, since the crappy Hyundai LCD they used at the time for the 15X (ours was first 100 off the assembly line) went bad and needed to be replaced under warranty. Since then, he has learned to be a bit more gentle, and to replace the pen nib when it gets worn into a sharp wedge (the real culprit of the gouges IMO).

Curious----does a tablet PC have the potential of ever getting the features of the
Cintique.....i.e. pressure sensitivity, accuracy, tilt, timeliness etc.

Already the Wacom penenabled Tablet PCs have pressure sensitivity and accuracy. Forget about tilt for a while, but the "timeliness" (if you are talking about responsiveness) comes with any of the faster Pentium M models like the Toshiba M200.

Ideally I would like to work in a mobile capacity so that I can take notes and paint in class at the same time. Would be nice to have my computer and painting tablet wrapped into one neat little package.

Search a little back into this thread about what I have said on this topic, but IMO, a TPC just can't be used for finishing really serious work without feeling a little constrained (mainly due to the screen realestate, which is not to be confused with screen resolution). TPCs IMO is ideal for note taking, brainstorming and ideation sketching, and doing rough comps and such, away from your desk. But to do any serious illos is best left up to a fast desktop and a large Cintiq.

Anyways, if I understand your wishes correctly, a Tablet PC could be ideal for it, as long as you don't ask it to do all the finishing work as well. Now, I know that there are plenty of folks that do EVERYTHING on their Tablet PCs, and I say power to them, but ideally, I'd like to have both Cintiq for home and a Tablet PC for on the go work.

Microsoft should buy Wacom and team up to make a nifty little painting platform that you can take to business meetings!

They've already done that in the Tablet PC platform, without buying up Wacom. Tablet PC IMO is the eventual evolution of the laptop, and in 5 or so years, all PC laptops will have Tablet PC funstionality built in. If Wacom was publicly traded (which I don't think it is), I'd buy Wacom stocks since the other competition in the active digitizer tech realm is just too crappy to take advantage of this situation.

Kananga
02-20-2005, 09:43 PM
This is great info , thanks!:thumbsup:

MDurante
03-29-2005, 06:49 PM
First review I've come across:

http://www.digitalanimators.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=31240

- Matthew Durante

Maverick3d
03-30-2005, 01:04 PM
So I was watching the Incredibles DVD commentary and I almost spit out my chocolate milk when several of the animators remarked they disliked the Cintiqs they were given for the same reason I stated; the gap between the pen and the screen is too large.

DanSilverman
03-30-2005, 01:44 PM
The gap on the new Cintiq is almost non-existant. So even that has been improved. Read the article in the link above. Basically most of the negative stuff about the older Cintiq's has been removed.

cyartist
03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
Is working on a Cintiq addictive. How much better is it than drawing to a screen monitor.

ogar555
03-31-2005, 07:42 AM
Waaah! i want one! damn my wallet for not containing enough money!

JMcWilliams
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
Is working on a Cintiq addictive. How much better is it than drawing to a screen monitor.

It's not bad at all... the latency is barely noticable and I was actually suprised at just how big the drawing space was, it's really quite huge... I knew it was 21 inchs screensize but I guess I didn't really visualise how big that was. I've only been using photoshop with it, but you can actually draw big sweeping curves without anyform of jitter in the line (which I sometimes find with tablets that I have used previously. It takes a few moments to get used to it and I still go back to my mouse for marque selection and the like but maybe that will change when I get more used to using it.
Z-brush is really nice with it.

daevid
03-31-2005, 12:13 PM
Is anyone using their cintiq also when working in 3d-applications?

I imagine it'd work like a charm in z-brush but quess it's too hard to get the precision you need when you want to select a vertex or and edge in 3d-max?

Do you get a good stand bundled so it' easy to simply switch to mouse when switching applications?

/David

JMcWilliams
03-31-2005, 12:51 PM
It's actually really precise, so i find navigating menu's easy enough, i would imagine that vertex selection would not be much of a problem. That said I think i would still use a mouse for 3d max myself, Z-brush is much more suited to using a pen, its really nice actually working on a model as if it was clay. The only real problem i have found is that the right hand thumb slider can get activated by your hand when you move up to draw/move to the top right of the screen. Just a niggle really.

DanSilverman
03-31-2005, 01:35 PM
I have the 15" Cintiq and the moment and plan to get the 21" later this year (maybe two months from now) after we move to our new location. I currently model in both Modo and Silo with it and it is accurate and fun :) . I would model in MAX on the Citiq but the screen resolution is too small on the 15" version (1024 x 768). I am sure things will be much, much better on the 21" version since it supports a 1600 x 1200 pixel screen resolution :) .

BlackLizard
03-31-2005, 02:37 PM
Just got mine and I really love it.
Never had some much space on screen, almost lag free and if you calibrate it at your working position distance between pen tip and drawing surface is practically non existant.
I also had the right hand problem touching the strip but customization is really cool and I disabled it very easily.
Also customizing your buttons and strip for each application lets you work without a keyboard (map ctrl+z for undos, etc) in almost any situation

Just to be sure I was not too lucky :sad: I found a small defect on the top border where, in particular when working on black/dark background, some strange glows come in from the top leds...still investigating but Wacom already assured for a change if it is a real defect

JMcWilliams
03-31-2005, 02:49 PM
Yeh, you know I think that its a good investment, i mean... i reckon i'll still be using it in 5 or more years easily. It's a pretty solid tool

elagman
05-03-2005, 04:04 PM
Reading these comments from people who have got theirs is like torture. I am so jealous. I ordered mine from digital graphics resources back on feb 21. I was supposed to get it mid to late april, but I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying it will be mid to late may. Argghhhh the anticipation is killing me. I use a 15x where I work, and know that my new 21 ux is going to blow that away. How quick did you guys get yours. Did you order them as soon as it was announced or something. I waited like 3 weeks and they already have a shortage. Talk about supply and demand issues.

BeckyWC
05-03-2005, 04:17 PM
I have been looking for one since the end of March and have not been able to find one yet and the waiting lists are long. Oh Well, B & H will be notifying me by e-mail when they get them in stock.

JMcWilliams
05-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Reading these comments from people who have got theirs is like torture. I am so jealous. I ordered mine from digital graphics resources back on feb 21. I was supposed to get it mid to late april, but I got an e-mail from them yesterday saying it will be mid to late may. Argghhhh the anticipation is killing me. I use a 15x where I work, and know that my new 21 ux is going to blow that away. How quick did you guys get yours. Did you order them as soon as it was announced or something. I waited like 3 weeks and they already have a shortage. Talk about supply and demand issues.

I got mine about 10 days after ordering, i was pretty lucky it seems. :D

elagman
05-03-2005, 06:26 PM
I got mine about 10 days after ordering, i was pretty lucky it seems. :D

Yeah,

I emailed the contact that the reseller gave me at wacom, and tried to politely ask for one of those new 6d art pens which I figured would be a drop in the bucket for them. Don't most companies do things like this to make customers who's product have been delayed by a month happier due to their error in shipping estimates. After all I have been charged for it as of Feb 21st and was promised it by "Mid to late April" Here is the response I got.

Eric,
Unfortunately, the fault is with us. We had our LCD manufacturer start the switch to lead-free panels (European standard), and instead of getting the amount of units we have been ordering, they are only trickling in. We created an awesome product and now we are trying to get them out as quickly as possible, please be patient.

As to your request for the 6D pen... have you ever seen the inside of a Wacom pen? It's filled with chips, and they are still expensive to manufacturer. When DGR sells an accessory, they are usually doing the customer a favor, not themselves.

Please be patient during this delay and know that you have ordered an amazing product!

Bill Lindsay

Is it just me or did that sound completely rude. Not in his e-mail or the resellers was their the slightest mention of apology for this delay. They made it sound like I should just shut up and be grateful for getting one at all. I guess when you are the only one who makes something like this you can treat customers poorly?:cry:

janhath
05-03-2005, 07:22 PM
elagman : Thats real unfortunate.A horror story almost.Sorry to hear this.It has turned me off of the product.Hope you get it soon.I'll wait until they are mainstream I quess.:)

duddlebug
05-27-2005, 02:15 PM
The Cintiq 21UX is just fantastic!!

We've got one in the office for evaluation and i've had custody for the last few days... Someone else is getting it next week. I'm gonna barricade my office door!! They can't take it off me!! It's mine!! MiNE!!

But seriously, i've been producing character concepts and the difference between the Cintiq and an Intuos3, particularly when sketching, is just astounding. i've been using Wacoms for years and feel very comfortable with the tablets (the A5 intuos3 is my favourite), but switching to the Cintiq and working directly onto the screen brings it so much closer to actual drawing. After a couple of days i feel much more confident sketching directly into Photoshop and achieving the look i want. I've even been drawing in virtual blue pencil!! :)

I haven't found the gap too big between the drawing surface and the screen, and i think the only lag i'm getting is when i try chunky brushes on large-ish images, and that's down to my measly 1GB of RAM, rather than the Cintiq.

Now i just have to find some way to afford one for home, when my girlfriend has just given up work to have our first baby and we're 'sposed to be tightening the purse strings...hmmmm??

And you lot in the US should quit your moaning.. the Cinitq retails for £2200 in the UK. For comparison, the (usual) US retail price of $2499 is (only) about £1300!! And, as far as i can tell, the warranty is territory specific!! Boo!!

AlyFell
05-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I WANT ONE TOO! It's not fair... *sulks* Jonny you better make sure that door is strong, 'cause me and all the hordes of Hades (Matt) are a force to be reckoned with! :D

opus13
05-27-2005, 03:39 PM
Is it just me or did that sound completely rude. Not in his e-mail or the resellers was their the slightest mention of apology for this delay. They made it sound like I should just shut up and be grateful for getting one at all. I guess when you are the only one who makes something like this you can treat customers poorly?

welcome to the wonderful world of wacom. they dont have any real competitors... and they know it.

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2005, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.