PDA

View Full Version : getting Maya´s Mental Rays Satellite to work...

Caypiranha
02-14-2005, 12:56 PM
Hi! - I´m just testing how to startup the MR Satellite Funktion in Maya 6.5.
Has anybody got that with succsess? For the moment, I´m getting a bit confused, doing it with the Maya Help I´m actually not gettin it right to work...

thnx for any feedback!

nu-GFX
02-14-2005, 04:56 PM
C'mon guys! Help us! I've got the same issue and really don't get along with it...

I'm so far: The maya.rayhosts isn't read by MentalRay. At least the Output Window tells nothing that way - even when increasing the verbosity to the highest level.
BUT the maya.rayhosts is correctly placed in my maya\mentalray-folder and should be found by Maya. It's whicked!

If someone can help!? You'll get a cooky! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

grafix
02-14-2005, 08:27 PM
Put your maya.rayhosts file into your user preferences directory ( for example .../my documents/maya/6.5/prefs) and it should work. I didn't try the other options from the docs but this one works. I have no idea why the standard installation procedure puts maya.rayhosts into the mentalray directory :hmm: .

Here is the excerpt from the docs :

maya.rayhosts

mental ray for Maya and mental ray for Maya Satellite look for maya.rayhosts in the following directories:

user's Maya preference directory
user's Maya application directory
user's home directory

Jozvex
02-14-2005, 08:41 PM
In this thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=209158

I gave a sort of walkthrough of doing it on windows.

nu-GFX
02-14-2005, 10:14 PM
Whow! I don't believe it! The hint of you two finally really works! Yeah! :bounce:

Thank you guys, you two are my personal heros! :thumbsup:

Caypiranha
02-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Hi & thnx for your replies!

That proves our theory, understood by ready of the Maya Doc´s.
So we´re not that off the track as it seems to be... We´ll check it out!

Rock´n´Render... :buttrock:

ajsfuxor
04-20-2005, 08:30 AM
I'm getting the following error:

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to host:port 10.1.2.10:7003 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host 10.1.2.10:7003

I did have it working, but now it doesnt want to connect.

Any suggestions?

Kai01W
04-20-2005, 03:02 PM

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to host:port 10.1.2.10:7003 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

Any suggestions?

7003 is the default port of mental ray stand alone. Satellite uses 7103.
So if you use satellite write
>>> 10.1.2.10:7103 <<< into your rayhosts file

-k

ajsfuxor
04-20-2005, 11:46 PM
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! Im happy once more :)

Droolz
04-22-2005, 08:05 AM
As far as i can tell maya simply is not reading my maya.rayhosts. No matter which directory I put it in [I have tried all four options], either that or it is simply ignoring the client machine listed in there [juleshome:7103]. The service is running correctly on the client machine.
Is there any way of confirming whether maya.rayhosts is actually being read at all? [I've tried putting junk text into it figuring that mental ray would throw up an error, but this didn't work].
Are there any other problems might be experincing? Port numbers allready in use? [how can I query what ports are used and what aren't?].

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm really pulling the little remaining hair on my head out.

Jules

Droolz
04-22-2005, 09:51 AM
Scrub that. Woke up this morning and it seems to work fine.

Points of note: windows firewall does not like it [add port 7103, change it to subnet only for added security ;)]
Remember to copy accross any additional mentalray shaders you have installed... [A real shame they can't be automatically pulled from the master machine, I imagine it would save a lot of headaches for sysAdmins on big farms...].

if you get a iiscript.msi install error when installing satellite, copy the whole of program files/common/installshield from a machine that sucessfully installed it over the top of the offending machine [back up first!]. Props to Jozvex for this solution ;).

Jules

meshman
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
I have two complete licenses at my work and im wondering if it is possible to control if i want satelite to contribute. The case is that we have two additional computers that we could use during night but not during the day. Is it possible to control if satelite will contribute?

Droolz
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
If you mean swapping them out 'live', eg as the render progresses I have no idea. I believe the documentation says that you just change the 'maya.rayhosts' file, but I guess this would have no effect to a render occouring at that time. - might be worth trying to see if it does work?

If it's just a case of starting a render when you leave as mentioned just add the hosts in to the maya.rayhosts before you leave, and hope they've finished by the morning. not a very elegant solution, i wonder if there are third party tools to dynamically assign and de-assign clients to satellite?

hth

Jules

Ze PilOt
04-22-2005, 12:06 PM
I have two complete licenses at my work and im wondering if it is possible to control if i want satelite to contribute. The case is that we have two additional computers that we could use during night but not during the day. Is it possible to control if satelite will contribute?

Mayatomr -ah and Mayatomr -rh, no need to edit the rayhost file..

Kai01W
04-22-2005, 03:26 PM
Honestly I'm rather disappointed by the stability of satellite. I guess dynamicly adding removing hosts >during< the rendering is not possible. I did a test where I manually killed the satellite process which completely killed Maya(!) on the host(!)... I'm doing a lot of sequence rendering with satellite across all platforms and you can be 100% sure that sooner or later you'll get messages like:
"no messages from slave x since y minutes"
and shortly after that satellite will die...
So I cannot really recommend it for important overnight renders...

-k

ybleong10
05-31-2005, 04:40 AM
i actually encounter some weird problem in satelite rendering, i render a frame without satelite n it only take 20 min,with satelite i take me 1 hour to render.i saw a message something like "requesting tag from host"..... keep repeating....any idea??

Powell
05-31-2005, 06:34 AM
Make sure that your `Export Verbosity' is not set to Info or Detailed Messages. You can use Progress Messages, but the former 2 will make satelite renders take 4x-5x longer.

DimitrisLiatsos
05-31-2005, 06:45 AM
Has anyone tryied this (Satellite) with OSX...i have made the host file but i don't get any signal that it's starting :banghead: :banghead: . Did anyone made this in OSX?

Droolz
05-31-2005, 08:22 AM
I'm not on a mac, but apparently it is possible, if a little bit of a shitty workaround:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215234&highlight=satellite+osx

hth

ybleong10
06-01-2005, 06:09 AM
is that map file will make satelite slow down...
cause i saw a message "image file xxx.map cannot be cached,it isn't prefiltred"
and my map file is in local of master machine
anyone know wat happen...

aonther message is "place2dtexture.xxxUV : unsurported type of connection,current plug value used instead" is that will slow down rendering as well??

DimitrisLiatsos
06-01-2005, 07:20 AM
I'm not on a mac, but apparently it is possible, if a little bit of a shitty workaround:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215234&highlight=satellite+osx

hth

:thumbsup: thanks man...it's a start :bounce:

ybleong10
06-01-2005, 08:01 AM
Make sure that your `Export Verbosity' is not set to Info or Detailed Messages. You can use Progress Messages, but the former 2 will make satelite renders take 4x-5x longer.

after i set the export verbosity to progress,it still won help...it still take longer time to render compare without satelite..

another stupid question, is that info or detail messages in Export Verbosity will slow down the normal rendering?

please help

Kai01W
06-02-2005, 09:13 PM
after i set the export verbosity to progress,it still won help...it still take longer time to render compare without satelite..

Well the point is you should NOT set it to progress or info. However I'd say that the statement that it takes 4-5 times longer is extremely exagerated in most cases. In general I guess the longer your frames take to render the less impact submitting all the progress messages have, up to virtually no diffeerence
As for the .map, I haven't really made a speed comparison but it definately crashed quite often with .map files (only since 6.5 btw.), so I just sticked with .hdr.
Tried creating "filtered" .maps with the commandline utility, but it did not help.

another stupid question, is that info or detail messages in Export Verbosity will slow down the normal rendering?
please help

Both. But info is rather ok, just takes some time at the beginning of the frame render, but I'd rather know which machines are actually rendering...

-k

Osaires
06-05-2005, 10:48 PM
Anyone else having problem with batch rendring? it works fine on normal rendring

and i also have that stupid problem when you lose the connection to a commputer maya frezzes, is there any solution to that?

Kai01W
06-05-2005, 10:57 PM
Anyone else having problem with batch rendring? it works fine on normal rendring

and i also have that stupid problem when you lose the connection to a commputer maya frezzes, is there any solution to that?
I only get it to do batch rendering when rendering from a shell/command line.

Yes, almost everything makes satellite or even the hosting maya machine crash. I'm doing lots of renderings on machines which are also used by other people for stuff like browsing and email reading. Sometimes its enough that someone logs out from one of these machines (and I mean log out, not shutdown) to make satellite crash.
I think its rather unstable and leaves alot to be desired.

-k

Osaires
06-05-2005, 11:50 PM
Thanks Kai01/W

so it works frome a command shell. cool :)
do i just use the normal "render file.mb" command?

joie
06-06-2005, 08:54 AM
Do you anyone got satellite working in 64bit machines????

I got it working in 32bit without any problems, Aaaaargh!

nu-GFX
06-06-2005, 08:58 AM
Yapp, it works just fine on our 64bit machines... But as a 32-bit task, of course.

bgawboy
06-06-2005, 03:48 PM
If you don't want to use the 32-bit version in 64-bit land, using 64-bit requires a 64-bit satellite distribution, including a mayabase shared lib (so/dll). I'm pretty sure this is not part of the standard Satellite distribution. Did you make a special request from Alias? What is your OS?

joie
06-06-2005, 04:37 PM
Yep, no special requests, I just wanted to test it in WXP 64 but didn´t get it to work, I thought it was a 64bit-related issue because the same installation just worked perfect in a 32bit machine...

ybleong10
06-07-2005, 04:13 AM
may i ask about how many percent rendering time reduce when we using satelite??roughly...

ybleong10
06-07-2005, 04:28 AM
may i ask about how many percent rendering time reduce when we using satelite??roughly...

ajsfuxor
06-28-2005, 01:36 AM
Has anyone had this problem?

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to host:port 10.1.X.XXX:7103 - A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not properly respond after a period of time, or established connection failed because connected host has failed to respond.
MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host 10.1.X.XXX:7103

Weird thing is i have other machines working fine, except this one.

Any suggestions?

nu-GFX
06-28-2005, 06:46 AM
Hm, that sounds like a firewall-issue... Maybe you installed this pain-in-the-ass aka. Service Pack 2?! *hehe*

Droolz
06-28-2005, 08:45 AM
ybleong10: It depends on the power of the machines that you are satelitting out to. But generally it is what you would expect, ie. nearly twice as fast as if you use two computers of roughly the same spec.

ajsfuxor: as allready mentioned, try disabling any firewalls that might be interfering, or at least open up the port(7103). Also try communicating via machine name in the rayrc hosts file, ie MYMACHINE:7103 as this will work and means that you don't have to use a static ip on the machines.

neutronic
06-28-2005, 11:39 AM
try reorder your machine names in the host file.
it's that only the last computer on the list
could find problems, sometimes it happens; randomly.

neo

DrOnion
06-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Keeping my fingers crossed on how simple this will be..
Getting my copy in the mail from reseller tomorrow.

DrOnion
06-30-2005, 07:54 PM
/edit
Needed to open ports.

ybleong10
08-12-2005, 04:48 PM
any one have try render .map file with satelite rendering??

mine 1 din't work,got some error mes.
but is ok when other file type like .tga,any idea??

joie
08-27-2005, 07:54 PM
I used .map textures in a very loong animation and worked good, no problems here.

mirkoj
08-29-2005, 02:33 PM
guys, could I have some help here :)
last night everything worked well and today I always get message:
MSG 0.0 info : adding new host 1 (Anigraph3:7103)
MSG 0.0 fatal 011513: SLAVE 1 DIED
MSG 0.0 fatal 011513: SLAVE 1 DIED

And only ona anigraph3 comp, everyother comp in the net works just fine.
Also when this hapens maya closes, there is only output window with that message, and there is maya proces in task manager, but maya window is nowhere to be found
what could it be?

bluemagicuk
10-30-2005, 06:21 PM

Any suggestions?

I am getting the same error here and cant for the life of me figure it out

1) I have raysat345server.exe running in the proccess tab of both computers.

2) I am using a netgear router and i have forwarded port 192.168.0.3:7103 (which is the slave computer)

3)The only thing i can think of is that something on the slave computer is stoping the connection.

4)Windows firewall is disabled and i am temporarily running without any firewalls to try and figure out the problem.

I have checked the helpfiles but my network knowledge is limited and i think it is a problem with my network or router.
Any ideas

bluemagicuk
10-31-2005, 07:35 PM
I recieved some help from Neo Amiga (thanks for that)

It was the updated version mr_sat for maya7 that uses port 7104 and not 7103 that was the problem.

Just thought id pop in to stop anyone from wasting time on a reply.

cheers

Steve McRae
11-09-2005, 01:28 AM
thanks for sharing that blue magic.

kamonlai
11-16-2005, 01:40 AM
Dear friends,

I am a new Maya user (beginner), I just bought a Node version Maya Unlimited 7, I want to ask a question?

1) Do I need to buy a additional Mental Ray License for Network Rendering feature? Or, the Maya Unlimited version is included Mental Ray Network Rendering feature, so I can using all my Mac for rendering?
2) I tried follow the manual but it won' work. It is now show a message as below:

--------------------------------------------------
// Info: (mental ray) : adding rayhosts
// Info: (mental ray) : adding host: 192.168.11.2:7103
// Info: (mental ray) : adding host: 192.168.11.4:7103
// Warning: (mental ray) : mental ray startup reported network errors, some render slaves may not be used //
// Info: (mental ray) : number of render thread(s): 2
// Info: (mental ray) : network rendering slaves: 192.168.11.2
--------------------------------------------------

Thank you very very much for your help!

bluemagicuk
01-02-2006, 01:13 PM
Has anyone found this feaure at all usefull ? I can not see a point in it personally.
I can get it to render on both machines but i find that the increase in speed is negligable and sometimes it is twice as slow.

I was really looking forward to rendering a single frame on both computers and having it speed up twice as much.

Am i missing something?

The only use satelite render has in my mind is for batch rendering a bunch of frames out to other computers , but i have better ways of doing that already.

sacslacker
01-02-2006, 06:40 PM
I think satelite rendering is sweet. I have 8 cpu's cooking now and I love it. I've noticed a huge increase in render speed after hooking up satelite. I was concerned originally with mixing Xeons and Opterons in the satelite but it appears that it works just fine.

bluemagicuk
01-08-2006, 04:55 PM
Is there certain parts of satelite rendering that it will excel on and others to avoid?

Final gather?
Global illum?
Raytracing in general?
IPR?

delpadre
01-25-2006, 12:58 AM
HI, I have tried a million times to get this to work. I followed all the direction and even tried to open the 7103 port on my D-Link router (although I don’t know if this is necessary or if I did it correctly) I am getting the following error in the output window.

MSG 0.0 error 011229: could not connect to host:port 192.168.0.101:7103 - No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.

MSG 0.0 error 011706: cannot add host 192.168.0.101:7103

I downloaded nmap but I can’t really figure out how to use it. I could really use the extra rendering power so if you have any insight on what I might need to do I would appreciate it.

Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
01-25-2006, 12:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.