PDA

View Full Version : mental ray - Mirror Reflecting Light?

mverta
02-13-2005, 06:24 PM
If you shine a light on a mirror, the light bounces with nearly the same intensity.

Is there a way to accurately recreate this in mental ray? I notice that when you turn the diffuse down on an object (for a mirrored surface) the GI diminishes...

_Mike

Jackdeth
02-13-2005, 06:30 PM
"Caustics" are what you are looking for.

mverta
02-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Just straight caustics, huh...

Ooook. I'll try that.

_Mike

Jackdeth
02-13-2005, 06:39 PM
A Caustic is light photons be reflected back into the enviroment. The other trick is to use a photon shader that has full diffusion so that your bounce light is faked to be higher than what your normal shader would do at its lower diffusion level.

mverta
02-13-2005, 06:51 PM
A Caustic is light photons be reflected back into the enviroment. The other trick is to use a photon shader that has full diffusion so that your bounce light is faked to be higher than what your normal shader would do at its lower diffusion level.

Boy, wouldn't it be cool if we didn't need workarounds and special shaders... so you could focus on the drama and not the technicals. One can dream.

Anyway, thanks so much for the reply!

_Mike

francescaluce
02-13-2005, 08:17 PM
one can also see diffuse, spec and refl photons by turning on verbose and look just after the photon tracing. if the effect you need require more reflected photons than diffuse for example by not turning on caustic you'll lose much of that efx.

wouldn't it be cool if we didn't need workarounds and special shaders... so you could focus on the drama and not the technicals.One can dream. you can do it instantly.. just turn off your computer.. or you can learn the technic in such a way that they do not bother to you anymore.. mr is a friendly and highlevel renderer so you'll get that without being necessary a techy person. Daydreamers are the enemies of the visionary.. says an old sentence.

mverta
02-13-2005, 08:22 PM
Daydreamers are the enemies of the visionary.. says an old sentence.

"I dream for a living." - Steven Speilberg

_Mike

francescaluce
02-13-2005, 08:38 PM
infact Spielberg is a visionary.. daydreamers are those that dream for a life just as a convenience and to not change their lazy way of thinking... at the end of the day to get a nice sleep.. they say :-I'm a dreamer.. and the morning after they have already forgot their dreams.

floze
02-13-2005, 09:02 PM
..every painter has to learn how to deal with brushes and colormixing. Even if you did 'simple' stuff like Bob Ross. Actually Bob Ross is quite a good example for that: He developed easy techniques that make simple stuff look sophisticated within minutes - nonetheless you have to learn (by doing) this technique if you want to succeed in the end.

Doing 3D is analog to that I believe. Even if you're a photographer (who's just copying reality on a little piece of celluloid) you have to deal with 'workarounds' and technical problems.

Learning never ends for us, mverta.

mverta
02-13-2005, 09:43 PM
Learning never ends for us, mverta.

Wouldn't have suggested otherwise. Artists all have a craft to master. But I can think of few forms of artistic expression where the artists have integrated increasingly unintuitive tools to such an extent. Anyone who's used 3d software knows that within minutes you usually discover something counter intuitive about the way it works, because the creators are seldom users.

But what are we to do? We learn how to deal with it, how to get around it. We know calling up the companies and requesting a feature or simplifying fix may be futile. As echoed in the great article in the 100th anniversary issue of Cinefex, we need to be ecouraging a path away from technical understand, and a return to artistic understanding. It's a better use of an artist's time to present a ball bouncing than to spend a week trying to figure out how to get it to bounce.

It's like we're driving primitive cars: you can go left, but to go right you have to make 3 lefts. Coming in version 1.1: Reverse! And in version 2.0: Automatic Transmission, where the shifting will happen for you! Has very little to do with actual driving. I for one, am a good driver, and I couldn't begin to tell you how a car works.

I'd rather focus on the drama than the technicals. Perhaps it's just me.

_Mike

Jackdeth
02-14-2005, 12:36 AM
I like cheese.

mverta
02-14-2005, 03:20 AM
I like cheese.

mmmmm. Cheeeeeese.

_Mike

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.