PDA

View Full Version : Possible to do projects w/out storyboards?

MasterManBabyJ
02-13-2005, 04:53 AM
hey

Has anyone ever done a decent Short animation/film/Project WITHOUT doing storyboards???
or is it a MUST???
thanks

curious_69_george
02-13-2005, 06:31 AM
No it is not a must, it helps a hell of a lot though.

If you are doing something with a very small crew you can just explain the shots as you go. If you are doing the camera work then you know where you want the camera to go, and all you have to do is get your actors to do what you want them to.

Storyboards are more for planning with a large crew or explaining how something is going to look to a financer. They are also good for animation if you have many people working on the project, that way they know exactly what your expectation of shot composition and movement are. But with a small crew you can watch and explain and guide personally.

Scenes with lots of action are easier to set up when they are planed out in detail, but again, if you have a small crew you can just explain it to them.

Ryan

dobermunk
02-13-2005, 08:53 AM
Speaking of animation, I've sometimes left out storyboard and gone straight into animatics. If you have an idea what you want and are doing the animatics yourself, this is fine. BUT... storyboards are really very helpful, I find, even if you're on your own. Helps test your vision. With a team, it becomes crucial.

Nucleo
02-13-2005, 12:22 PM
hey

Has anyone ever done a decent Short animation/film/Project WITHOUT doing storyboards???
or is it a MUST???
thanks

Of course you can make a short without storyboard. I have done a couple of short films this way and it was cool but they were expiremental and they had weird look at the end. As far i know you can even make a short even without a script that ofcourse only if you feel confident enough and you feel like improvise the whole short..

One thing that troubles me is that you say the word 'decent' and that means that you wanna film in a conventional way. If that is the case then you better do some planning that includes story, storyborads, script etc. but if you want to experiment ofcource you can do it and have lots of fun.

Hope this help.

[TOY]Snoop
02-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Hi there,

Another good use for the storyboard is that if u put all drawings on a wall, it will
give u a nice complete view of the movie at once. U can check easily if u have enough
variation in camera angles, total shots and close ups, is there a good ballance between the characters, and so on. Look at it as a painting, is everything in the right place?

Have fun,

- Peter -

CGTalk Moderation
02-13-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.