PDA

View Full Version : Lines on edges ?

marko-p
09-14-2002, 09:53 AM
I dont quite know how to word this but here i go........

I've seen visual of buildings and whatnot where they use solid colours for the faces of the model and a black line on all the edges, how is this achived. Does this envolve alot of work in Photoshop or can this be created using the materials.

This question relates to 3D Studio Max

:beer:

KEKS
09-14-2002, 03:32 PM
they way i do it and that gives me much more control is to model your geometry scale copy the model from the faces and then invert the normals. Put solid colors that you want iside and for the inverted geometry put black or white or whatever outline color you need.
on script spot.com there was a script that does that scale from normals since there are no tools to do that

marko-p
09-16-2002, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the reply.....

I didn't realise it would be quite as involved just for lines on edges but your suggestion did give me the catalyst for my method. What i did was clone the model as you said but rather than invert the faces i scaled the outer model and then but a wire frame material to it which did the job, this also means i can scale the wire to the thickness required depending on the camera distance from the model.

Does thgis make sense, i hope so

:bounce:

Galo
09-16-2002, 07:35 AM
just render solid once and render edges once and in ps put them togheter

leigh
09-16-2002, 07:50 AM
Or perhaps you could try using a toon shader like Illustrate (http://www.davidgould.com/Illustrate/IllustrateForMax/Illustrate51.htm) or CartoonReyes (http://www.reyes-infografica.net/cartoon.php) :)

KEKS
09-16-2002, 07:54 AM
like i said get that script it does the scaling right and it gives you the push modifier in max that you can control the thinckness of the line... afterwards if you want thinck and thins you can go to vertex mode and model it in really fast. Shaders are cool but if you require ultimate control go with the geometry... it deforms nice and everyting... now if you have xsi you can do it with a shader that works really good but still its better with geometry for thick and thins

marko-p
09-16-2002, 09:35 AM
I tried the script site but unfortunatly im on version 3 of Max and not on 4 so this script doesn't seem to work.

Do you know if there is a version for 3

NoPopNoStyle
09-17-2002, 02:21 PM
http://www.xs4all.nl/~naam/cartoonrender.html
provides a (slightly limited) method of acheiving a toon-like look without toon shaders.

The page is written for Cinema 4d, but can be applied fairly easily to other apps.
The method requires a bit of work to get good results, and isn't well suited for animation, but does create an interesting effect.

marko-p
09-17-2002, 03:27 PM
NoPopNoStyle........I've got to say i really like those images they are great......:bounce:

Very natural looking lines, although i can see the downside with regards to time. But for one off presentation images its really cool.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.