PDA

View Full Version : Swamp

Groady
02-12-2005, 07:26 AM
This is my latest piece ive started on. I'm trying to change my style by painting more loosly to define colour and shadow and then slowly working up the detail rather than diving into the detail earlier on. This is still at an early stage. Comments & critiques appreciated.

Painter / Photoshop.

*Scroll down for latest update*

DKR1138
02-13-2005, 09:57 AM
I like it... it feels as though it belongs in an illustrated childrens book (actually this is better than half of the illustrates kids books you see laying around)... my only crit, would be to add some longer grass behind the first layer of trees because it looks like the ground does exist past the layer of grass exposed out the front (of the light brown coloured trees)... thats just a thought thou... anyways if you were after mysterious forest with a friendly touch, thats been acheived...

Imriela
02-13-2005, 01:33 PM
I wish to hug the fishing critter! The contrast of the glowing, friendly green and the calm, muted red really makes this work, methinks.

jamesonq
02-13-2005, 04:28 PM
It has a nice vibe to it. Strange but not sinister. Hope to see some updates soon

Dreamshark
02-14-2005, 02:24 AM
Nice work, Love the character. The eyes are great, carries alot of the character. Could do with a bit of the twilight effect, light shimmering on the water or some fireflies to enhanse the fantasy relm.

Groady
02-15-2005, 11:08 AM
Here's an update. I've made some significant colour adjustments since the previous version. I think it's much more vibrant now. I'm starting to put more detail into the piece. As a whole, I'd like to add a bit more texture to certain parts of the image.

The reeds in the extreme foreground are just a placeholder on a separate layer. I've just drawn them in quickly to add the depth to the scene I'm after. C&C appreciated.

http://www.graphicscenes.com/Swamp17.jpg

DesireeJReynolds
02-15-2005, 05:46 PM
funny, before I actually read the message, I looked at the image and wanted to compliment you on the reeds in the extreme foreground! I didnt realize they were just a placeholder.... its nice too that they are out of focus, even though they are in the front.

I especially like your "soft" style.... It gives the painting a nice "swampy" feeling! Great use of color too!

Dreamshark
02-16-2005, 12:21 AM
The feet look heaps better. I'd say there's too much light on his legs, and they could do with a bit more warts like on his arms. The reeds arn't as noticable anymore, I don't know whether that's what yor we're going for, but I preferred them a bit longer.

"Once upon a swamp...."

lulaassassina
02-16-2005, 12:41 AM
What is he thinking of?

luv

Groady
02-17-2005, 01:03 AM
He's thinking "I like fishing"..... but seriously. I assume you're asking because he looks like he's staring off into space a little. I may reposition his eyes so he's focused more on where the line meets the water. What do you think?

I'll post an update soon.

Ognus
02-17-2005, 01:27 AM
He looks amphibeous. Why doesnt he just jump in and catch something? Maybe he is a fish evolving (yeah it happens every day right?) and his human portion think the swamp is "icky?"

Very cute.
Its coming along quite nicely. I enjoy this piece.

Dreamshark
02-18-2005, 05:26 AM
I don't think he can swim. And he's sitting there fishing. Thinking "I wish I was like the rest of my kind". He looks a bit like a lonely fellow. A bit of an outcast. Poor fella. lol

Groady
02-19-2005, 12:49 AM
Getting close to finishing this. Been adding more detail and texture to the trees and character. I've also added light rays and added more definition to the bank on the right. Still need to tighten some things up but generally I'm quite happy with this.

http://www.graphicscenes.com/Swamp27.jpg

Rudeone
02-19-2005, 01:34 AM
He looks very cute, I think some shorts and a small hat would fit him well, you know stereotype little boys clothing, imo that could contribute to the cute and innocent feel of the little guy, but maybe that's just me.
Anyways, nice painting, keep it up

CGTalk Moderation
02-19-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.