PDA

View Full Version : Losing my SSS when combing polygon sets.

dragonspectrum
02-12-2005, 02:33 AM
Hi,

I have a model and the skin parts have SSS on the ambient color, while the clothes and such don't have such. I textured each piece separately and combined all the pieces to animate it. When I combine say the upperbody with the shirt, the SSS still remains in her upperbody and isn't in the shirt...so works perfectly. When I continue combining each and every part of the body, I lose my SSS for all the skin parts and it's back to it's boring old blinn.

Does anyone know the solution to this?
I'm afraid to start animating because I'm worried I need to fix this problem now and won't be able to come back after everything has been already combined.
So...any ideas?
Thanks,
Dspec

Jackdeth
02-12-2005, 02:37 AM
SSS needs to be assigned to a whole object, not a selection of faces.

dragonspectrum
02-12-2005, 03:40 AM
So there's no way I can isolate the SSS to certain parts of an object?
How can that be? It seems to always be advised to combine your separate parts for animation, so how does everyone else manage to separate their SSS and non SSS pieces?

It worked when I only combined the upperbody and shirt. Just as a combine the jeans/belly/feet...I lose the SSS. When everything is combined, I can go in the hypershade and see each SG when I map the connections of object and I see the shader plugged into each of the shadergroups' ambient color.

So...maybe i'm being a dimwit, but there's gotta be someway to get what I need.

Thanks again,
-Dspec

Stahlberg
02-12-2005, 04:26 AM
It's a limitation, and I found it annoying too when I ran into it. I guess it's early yet in the development cycle for the miss shaders, so hopefully it'll change...
Meanwhile, you can layer all the different shaders you want for one object in one mix8layers, and use transparency maps to apply them on their respective faces. Or you could separate the faces into separate objects.

Jackdeth
02-12-2005, 04:42 AM
Just don't do the combine. It really only helps when optomizing renders with LOTS and LOTS of objects. For the type of stuff that you are doing, it will only limit you.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.