PDA

View Full Version : Batch Rendering with dirtmap

MattBirkett-Smith
02-12-2005, 01:58 AM
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone could help with a problem i'm having with dirtmap in maya 6.01, i've done a quick search but cant find anything relevant.

Im doing a seperate ambient occlusion pass for my scene using dirtmap plugged into incandescence of a lambert (diffuse = 0) which is applied to everything in my scene. The problem is that I couldnt get the dirtmap shader properly installed on our linux uni network. It won't autoload into the mental ray shaders so I have to do a manual load of the .mi file to use it. I have to do this every time I load maya.

This works fine for normal renders but I'm getting some problems with batch rendering, I just get black screens. I've heard that batch rendering isnt good at manually loading plugins/shaders so I guess this problem is caused by my bad install. I've tried changing my maya.rayrc and maya.env but i havent got it working yet. Has anyone got any suggestions?

BillSpradlin
02-12-2005, 02:09 AM
Render from the command line with Maya closed. I always advise against useing the batch render with mental ray, it's a crap shoot as to whether or not you'll get an accurate render.

WhiteRabbitObj
02-12-2005, 02:20 AM
How do you mean it's a crapshoot using batch renderer with MR? What do you recommend to render sequences with MR? Rendering from within the Maya interface by using Render->Batch Render [] ??

BillSpradlin
02-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Command line rendering is the optimal way of rendering sequences. For one, it will render a significant amount faster than it will rendering from the GUI within Maya (One major process that completes much more efficiently from the command line is the DAG hierchy translation to mi format prior to rendering, this goes very quickly from the command line and goes very slow sometimes in heavy scenes in the GUI), two there aren't the problems of the mental ray Node Factory parsing the rayrc file correctly (sometimes it picks it up, some times it does partially, sometimes it just misses it completely when batch rendering from the GUI), and three there isn't an entire program hogging memory from your system thus making the memory management more efficient durring rendering and increasing overall render performance.

There's absolutely no reason to ever use the batch renderer from within the Maya GUI, even if you are using the software renderer.

Jackdeth
02-12-2005, 02:55 AM
Word. .

WhiteRabbitObj
02-12-2005, 05:07 AM
Uhhh, yeap. I thought you were suggesting that one shouldn't commandline render, since all that does to my knowledge is bring up the batchrenderer. Heh, misunderstanding is all. I couldn't fathom a reason you'd recommend not rendering commandline. :thumbsup:

vectormodeling
02-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I'd agree about command line renders being better, but i'm nearing the end of a few day rendering session for an occlusion pass rendered on several computers, and sometimes i have been forced to execute batch renders from WITHIN the Maya GUI. Sometimes, in certain scenes, MR wouldn't respect the surface shader w/ mib_occlusion that I had applied to everything in the scene, and would render one or two elements with their previous materials. Obviously this pissed me off. If I started the render from within Maya, though, it worked fine. I'm baffled as to why that has been happening.

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.