PDA

View Full Version : asking for your honest opinion

tijl.
02-11-2005, 11:45 PM
http://netdays.rootspirit.com/intro.mov
is the first movie I've made with after effects.
It will be a little intro/promo-movie for
www.artport.be (http://www.artport.be)

I'm a beginner, but don't let this influence
your critique too much, I want to learn as much
as possible and I'm asking for your honest opinion
and hopefully (maybe) some tips.

(music, footage and film made by me)

thanks alot in advance!

tijl.

roguenroll
02-12-2005, 05:02 AM
hey I say heck of a good start, biggest thing to achieve, no matter the content
is to be visually interesting and it has to flow, I think you got it.

It has professional potential. A few of the cut out characters are a little rastered on close up,
and the end static wasnt entirely my cup of tea. but I'd say rock on.

R

Dutchman
02-12-2005, 01:01 PM
Cool stuff you got Tijl! Not only this (short ;) ) movie, but also those on deviantART! :)

I like the movie..! It looks very dynamic, and also (fairly :) ) professional! It contains allot of 3D layers, isn't it?!

Greeetz ('van 'n buur-land-man ;) '),
Gijs

ald1225
02-12-2005, 04:24 PM
very good start:) , I would try to make it a little faster and just see how it looks.

Rustedhouse
02-13-2005, 12:22 AM
The feel is there and your structure and use of 3d space is good, especially for a first project.

i agree that it could move a touch faster, especially in the opening sequence. If you just squeeze a few of those key frames together it will look slicker.

nice wk.

I am also new to AE and will be posting a link to my first proj any day now.

brooklyn
02-13-2005, 08:15 AM
nice work, but liker roguenroll said the 'robot guy' cutouts look rasterized and you can see the jaggies. Maybe its your QT compression , I think the 'robot guys' are vector art made in Illy or what have you, but the quality needs to be upped or lack of quality hidden with more motion blur, or redone using vector graphics nonrasterized. Other than that ROCK ON

-Vormav-
02-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Nice work for it being your first movie. It has a very clean feel to it, and I like your choice of colors. It fits somehow.
The only bit of critique I have to add is that I really don't like the effect of the 'e' growing and blurring, before shrinking and sharpening to form an 'a' at the very beginning. The flow is alright, just the blurring feels very out of place stacked up against the rest of the video, and its 'clean' feel. Not that it's that big of a deal; that's a very very small portion of the video. It's just the one thing that stuck with me when I watched it as feeling out of place.
Again though, great for a first try (beats the hell out of my first, second, third, fou- oh screw it, you get the idea). Keep it up. :)

tijl.
02-14-2005, 11:01 PM
I'm very sorry for the late reply, some internet-problems in my student home, will hopefully be solved soon ;)

Thanks alot for the very kind comments!

Roguenroll & Brooklyn: The jaggies are a problem indeed and I don't know how to prevent them from showing up. All the contained files are imported from illustrator, indeed. How can I prevent them to rasterize?
I don't like the end scene either, any suggestions are very welcome. It's funny, but it's basic and it isn't original, too.

Dutchman: Thanks alot for the great compliment, great 3D-work by the way. I hope to experiment some more with 3D myself some more :)

ald1225 & Rustedhouse: actually I was thinking the movie was a little bit too fast, especially the scene with all the words flashing by. (is it still "readable"?)

-Vormav-: I liked the idea of the e going to the a, but indeed it's another style. Do you suggest that some kind of morph between the a and the e would be more preferable?

Thanks alot for the very kind comment!

roguenroll
02-15-2005, 02:17 PM
not sure, but I think on the timeline there is a little star like enable box, next to the
quality slash, frame blend, etc. If I remember is only available for vector shapes.

I think that does something with the quality of Illustrator files.

R

edit - found it, its 'continuous rasterization', should do the job

tijl.
02-16-2005, 01:26 PM
Thanks alot, it does ring a bell actually :) I'll check it out

lumberyard
02-16-2005, 11:34 PM
yeah i think there are three settings for that, one being continuous update. i think thats the mode you want your vector images to be on for render. i'm brand new to this program though, so... you know.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.