PDA

View Full Version : 4 Hi-Res Episode III

ZEROSKULL
02-11-2005, 09:30 PM
Link>> (http://www.internet-whore.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=564&Itemid=2)

strangelife
02-11-2005, 09:34 PM
hard to tell anything from the images, except that natalie portman is still sooooo fine.

darktding
02-11-2005, 09:39 PM
hard to tell anything from the images, except that natalie portman is still sooooo fine.
that is the only reason why I am going to watch sw3! Love Natalie Portman!

rougue 13
02-11-2005, 10:00 PM
I once did a drawing of Natalie Portman..it's pretty much the best drawing I ever done..it took like 3 hours to shade the upperlip..

BrockSamson
02-11-2005, 10:08 PM
Yah, I wonder if they'er going the have any Ligers- half lion, half tiger...it's pretty much my favorite animal.

Recursive
02-11-2005, 10:10 PM
I once did a drawing of Natalie Portman..it's pretty much the best drawing I ever done..it took like 3 hours to shade the upperlip..

You should ask her out for the prom.

SheepFactory
02-11-2005, 10:19 PM

i recommend you watch "closer" instead ;)

kiaran
02-11-2005, 10:23 PM
You should ask her out for the prom.

Bake her a cake.

darktding
02-11-2005, 10:25 PM
i recommend you watch "closer" instead ;)
ah I watched it 2 times in the theater ;) LOVE HER SOO MUCH! :love:

halo
02-11-2005, 10:38 PM
they burnt all the good bits in closer... :hmm:

PokeChop
02-12-2005, 05:18 AM
Natalie Portman Happy Hour!

NanoGator
02-12-2005, 06:52 AM

I'd recommend Garden State. It's out now + it's a good movie. :)

JeroenDStout
02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
I wonder how George Lucas would respond looking at a thread with people saying they'll only watch SW-3 for Natalie Portman.

thx1138
02-12-2005, 12:49 PM
He's smart enough to know that they are lying. Not to say that seeing a movie just too look at NP is a bad thing. As for the whole pre-judging a movie before is released, it's no more than an opinion. Not based on facts.

Kirt
02-12-2005, 01:08 PM
As for the whole pre-judging a movie before is released, it's no more than an opinion. Not based on facts.Yeah ... but then there's that Episode I & II bit.
I'll probably still see III in the theater, but I expect that the most enjoyable parts will be Natalie Portman's. (pun intended) :drool:

CaptainJackSparrow
02-12-2005, 02:34 PM
Natalie Portman, she's pretty, but boy is she wooden in these films. Watch Episode 1 or 2, it's excruiating some of those Hayden/Nat moments.

When I think back to that accent she had in the first film, that monotone way of talking, whose idea was that? Problem is, George is so rich now everyone is too afraid to tell him 'hey George, that idea blows!'.

Nevermind, everyone will still go see it cos it's the only show in town. Coruscant looks nice there at least.

NUKE-CG
02-12-2005, 05:24 PM
Her acting is shit in Star Wars but her pretty eyes make up for it.

But yes, see Garden State, Braff gave her a great role, and he dropped his 'Scrubs' character very quicky in my mind.

thethule
02-12-2005, 05:42 PM
Natalie Portman's acting in the star wars films is only terrible because of GL's directing. Look at the mediocre performance he got out of Ewan as well, one of the best actors out there along with the lovely miss Portman. You just have watch her in Leon and more recently in Garden State to see how amazing she is.
On a side note, bizarre as this may sound. i actually think she was more beautiful when she was younger. I dont mean that in a pervy way, she was just more jaw droppingly stunning. Now, although still amazing, her face is a weird shape :shrug:

Marc

t-toe
02-12-2005, 07:45 PM
I think my biggest annoyance with these four shots is that all of them are chroma keyed. I think even the shot from slightly above, where the floor is out of focus is keyed. ridiculous.

I thought Lucas had been hanging out with his new friend Peter Jackson lately. anyone seen the ginormous set of NYC Jackson had made for his Kong film? it's spectacular.

CENOBITE
02-12-2005, 08:43 PM
George is so rich now everyone is too afraid to tell him 'hey George, that idea blows!'.

On the other hand, many movies are made that are complete crud, and there were many people all putting in their own opinions hoping to improve it... writers, directors, producers, etc. Then you have the test screenings with the public inputting what blows, cuts are made, reshoots are done... and the movies STILL BLOW. So it 'cuts' both ways.

With Star Wars, we are getting someones vision come to life with very little outside input. Now how many of us would love to be able to do that?

For example, I love the paintings of Rubens... but did he have to use those obese women? "They blow!" Heh, well he did what he wanted to do creatively and I appreciate that.

NanoGator
02-12-2005, 09:25 PM
As for the whole pre-judging a movie before is released, it's no more than an opinion. Not based on facts.

If one is judging whether or not to see it, then little facts like the previous movies not settling well to some are quite factual and quite valid.

CaptainJackSparrow
02-13-2005, 12:51 AM
Sure the prequels, are all GL's vision and that goes to show you how much it helped to have other ppl on board in the originals, like GL said if he had filmed Empire it would have been 95 percent the same as the way Kirshner did it, well yeah George, it's that 5 percent where the greatness lies.

You'd see GL looking over concept art on ep1 and 2 and he like stamps the ones he likes and half of them are stoopid, he ain't no concept artist, take all the retro 50 designs on coruscant, or take the fact that there is not a single design in the new star wars prequels that has become popular, no x-wing, no tie fighters, why? cos George is picking these shite 1950's design by Doug Chiang that look aweful, like the anorexic robots that look like they'd fall over in a strong wind.

On another point I'll take real sets over CGI any day though true.

Like take Titanic, say what you want but Cameron built half of the whole damn ship, and you knew it was real, and somehow that translated onto film better. If the audience knows it's real it ads something to it, even if in CGI it could look just as good. On the other hand you got real looking CGI in films like Troy or whatever, and you think 'nice army but it's not real'.

lovisx
02-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Isn't cg just an art, does it have to be realistic?

Why have people lost their imaginations. I can't watch an Ewok now and not think about someones comment that they look soo stupid.

For me as a little kid growing up, Ewoks were real, but this pesimist has made me see it for what it is, people in suits. All the magic is gone, the feeling of traveling to another world and witnessing an epic unfold there, is gone. Of course I knew it was people in suits, but I suspended my disbelief.

I think people are trying to get something out of art these days, that just isn't there. Not sure what.

what's our obsession with realism. Does it make it a better expression of the artists imagination if it's realistic. Does everything have to have a scientific and physical relavence. Are we getting our money's worth if something in a movie is real. All movies, plays, paintings, music, are things that come from our imaginations, and entertain us because it allows us to relax and see things from a different angle that we never saw before, and we couldn't see if it wasn't for our imaginations.

Realism can be important when giving your characters a sense or history and depth, but come on, who cares if the robots are skinny. Do you think any of the robots in Starwars are at all possible, or in any other movie? Perhaps he should just have put robots that resemble robots created by nasa scientists, then it would have been more entertaining. Do you think there were hi definition cameras in the time of the Titanic to film it? Perhaps james cameron's movie would have been alot better if he could get a time mechine and just film what really happened. But then it turns from an art to a cataloguing of events, and the imagination gets taken out of the picture.

I think star wars sucks because it's not a real history of something that has actually happened but just a figment of some guys imagination, who expects me to pay him to see it. Imagination isn't worth it to pay for it. Only when stuff is believable is it good. Not to say that a movie is great because it is very imaginative, but to knock star wars because it isn't realistic, just seems like missing the point.

(this is called satire or irony by the way and is not a personal attack in any way)

so that's my short essay, just keeping the discussion alive. :D

Joe_H
02-13-2005, 09:40 AM
He's smart enough to know that they are lying.

You hit the nail on the head. Even the whiniest ones who hated the first two will have their butt in a seat come May, if for no other reason than it's Star Wars and they wouldn't miss it for the world. Just like there was a whole lot of lying from people claiming they wouldn't buy the original SW trilogy DVD, most of them Star Wars fans. Of course they bought the damn thing and we knew they were lying. They knew they could get away with saying they wouldn't, because nobody could prove them wrong. But you and I both know they went right out and bought it, and even if they did try to keep from buying, the first time they saw it, they plopped down the cash.

On the other hand you got real looking CGI in films like Troy or whatever

LMAO! Yeah, right.

not a single design in the new star wars prequels that has become popular, no x-wing, no tie fighters, why?

What are you talking about? What kind of criteria are you using to establish whether a design is popular? Is there some sort of world opinion poll on what's popular and what's not popular? I doubt it. With all due respect, that statement is ridiculous. For one thing, the prequels aren't that old. TPM is only 6 years old. Second, whose to say what is and what isn't popular. I don't see anything that automatically validates and x-wing as popular either other than a few fans saying it is. There are a lot of cool designs in the prequels.

it would have been 95 percent the same as the way Kirshner did it, well yeah George, it's that 5 percent where the greatness lies.[quote]

Right! Because Irvin Kershner is such a great director for having brought us masterpieces like Robocop 2, Seaquest DSV, and Never Say Never Again? The fact is Lucas oversaw the effects work. Lucas wrote the 2nd and 3rd drafts of the script, as well as th story for ESB. That's where the ESB we all know and love comes from. Then he brought Kasdan onboard to tighten up and polish the script. Plus the actors being more comfortable in their roles and ILM being more confident and polished in their work. These are the main reasons why ESB turned out so great. So don't be so quick to hail Kershner for being solely responsible for the greatness of ESB while trying discred Lucas. Yes, he deserves some credit. But he doesn't deserve as much as you want to give him. Quite frankly, Kershner is not a good director judging from his resume. His best film is ESB, and that's as much Lucas' film as it is Kershner's, if not more. After all, it was Lucas' story and film he directed.

[quote]On another point I'll take real sets over CGI any day though true.

And I hate to tell you this, because you obviously don't know, but there were 68sets built for TPM. There were 75 sets built for Episode III. AOTC had a bit fewer than TPM because of problems with the Aussie crew. Not only that, there were more miniatures built for each of the prequels films than there were built for the entire original trilogy, combined. So this notion that it's all CG is nonsense.

If one is judging whether or not to see it, then little facts like the previous movies not settling well to some are quite factual and quite valid.

I couldn't agree more. Anyone who hated the first two prequels would have to be foolish to waste there money on Episode III. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that anyone who hated the first two, is going to like this one. So my advice to those who didn't get any enjoyment out of the first two, forget about Episode III. When it comes out, walk right past it on your way to another movie. You'll thank yourself later. Though we know that's not realistic.

Natalie Portman's acting in the star wars films is only terrible because of GL's directing

Actually, there have been reports that her attitude has been shitty from day one. There were even strong rumors it got so bad at one point that Lucas almost fired her in order to get Keira Knightley. Of course that didn't happen. Either way, you have to actually try in order to perform. She hasn't. She won't have anymore lame ass excuses for Episode III, because an acting and dialogue coach was hired for the film. Lucas and the acting coach worked extensively with the actors. They even held workshops and wrote what he called an emotional script to help the actors understand the motivations and emotions of their characters. So if she stinks it up, it's all on her.

As for Ewan, he's owned the role of Obi-Wan. He's give strong performances. He even sounds and acts like Alec Guiness in Star Wars. Even has similar mannerisms.

I think my biggest annoyance with these four shots is that all of them are chroma keyed. I think even the shot from slightly above, where the floor is out of focus is keyed. ridiculous.

Um, no! I have no idea where you got that from. There's nothing wrong with any of those shots.

NanoGator
02-13-2005, 09:55 AM
I couldn't agree more. Anyone who hated the first two prequels would have to be foolish to waste there money on Episode III. There is not a snowball's chance in hell that anyone who hated the first two, is going to like this one. So my advice to those who didn't get any enjoyment out of the first two, forget about Episode III. When it comes out, walk right past it on your way to another movie. You'll thank yourself later. Though we know that's not realistic.

Yep, you're right on all counts. I shouldn't see it, but I will anyway. Hehe. I can't help it, really. I enjoyed the first 3 movies, I really want to know what ends up happening. Unfortunately, I'm dreading it, too. I keep appearing in these EpIII threads hoping to find a glimmer of "Well, at least I'll enjoy that!" Oh well.

Am I being silly or idiotic? Eh, maybe. The problem is I'm a fan of the original triology. To this day, I still enjoy the original movies. Also, I'm a huge fan of digital FX. I'm aware of some of the technical advances being employed in these films, and I'm insanely curious about them. Seems like it'd be silly to miss this one.

*Sigh*

Maybe with my expectations so low, I'll be pleasantly surprised like I was with I, Robot.

NanoGator
02-13-2005, 10:00 AM
"Um, no! I have no idea where you got that from. There's nothing wrong with any of those shots."

Errr... I'm kinda on both sides here. All the images (except for maybe one, as near as I can tell) are most definitely chroma keyed. You kinda get used to spotting it when you've done it a bit.

*However* I wouldn't label that as pathetic or a problem. The main reason I can spot it is that I've done it before. It's sorta like spotting bump-maps instead of real geometry. So long as it isn't strobey, I doubt it'll bug me much. Truth be told, though, very few movies have composites that completely fool me. Surprisingly enough, Lost in Space did that to me. hehe.

Joe_H
02-13-2005, 10:14 AM
Posting these will probably result in more "I hate Lucas and the prequels" rather than discussion of the actual pictures. But here goes. Some of these are not as hi-res as others. As always, these are not official pictures or screencaps.

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/9503/anakinvsobiwan2jf8bv.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=anakinvsobiwan2jf8bv.jpg)

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7253/jeditemple7fk5pl.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=jeditemple7fk5pl.jpg)

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/1359/maceandjedi4kf7kr.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=maceandjedi4kf7kr.jpg)

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/5248/new995as2dh.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=new995as2dh.jpg)

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/9277/p35vf.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=p35vf.jpg)

http://img160.exs.cx/img160/473/palpinsen4ui5ay5jy.th.jpg (http://img160.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img160&image=palpinsen4ui5ay5jy.jpg)

http://img211.exs.cx/img211/8199/mastersidious6yj.th.jpg (http://img211.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img211&image=mastersidious6yj.jpg)

http://img211.exs.cx/img211/6608/h15xk7sb5sb.th.jpg (http://img211.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img211&image=h15xk7sb5sb.jpg)

http://img211.exs.cx/img211/9199/tender1db9ea.th.jpg (http://img211.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img211&image=tender1db9ea.jpg)

http://bwr.hyperchat.com/newchat/u/mephston/~bwr/fastduel.gif

thx1138
02-13-2005, 11:19 AM

Deciding if you want to see a sequel based on your personel enjoyment, is a very valid reason. But those facts/reasons aren't valid for everyone else out there, like you also state. They are still personel opinions.
I was aiming at the idea that if people are saying they only want to see a movies for a very special reason, and not for any other, that doesn't mean other people can't have different ideas and therefore reasons too do go and see it. That's why George won't be bothered by comments that people will only go and see it for 1 reason, even if there's nothing wrong with that.

CaptainJackSparrow
02-13-2005, 11:46 AM
What are you talking about? What kind of criteria are you using to establish whether a design is popular? Is there some sort of world opinion poll on what's popular and what's not popular? I doubt it. With all due respect, that statement is ridiculous. For one thing, the prequels aren't that old. TPM is only 6 years old. Second, whose to say what is and what isn't popular. I don't see anything that automatically validates and x-wing as popular either other than a few fans saying it is. There are a lot of cool designs in the prequels

Let me ask, how many little kids are running around playing with Naboo starfighters - Answer -none, zip, nada why? Cos they are the suckiest looking starships out there. When I was young everyone wanted a X-wing or the Millenium Falcon, that stuff was cool, I mean storm troopers were cool, the death star was cool, imperial star destroyers , AT-TT were cool etc etc.

What do the prequels bring to that? Nothing!

Can't see anyone loving the design of the battletroids, or the 'semi evolving' look of the starships or the 1950's jetcar things they drive around in on Coruscant, or the dopey looking transports, or any of it, it's all just 'Meh'.

In the original series everything had a strong visual form, things were bold, and the new series lacks that, there are no classic cool new designs, they don't have strong shapes, anything that is in any way half good is derivative of the old films, so yes, the new concept stuff is weak bigtime. They haven't thought up anything new to it.

I am actually astonished that so much talent could not produce a single cool looking ship. Really, it's quite aweful. Sorry gotta say it.

NanoGator
02-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Can't say I agree with that. The reason Naboo fighters aren't on every kids' wish list is because Luke SKywalker wasn't a hero in one of them.

Eps 1 and 2 have some cool designs, but that's a bit subjective.

JeroenDStout
02-13-2005, 01:09 PM
Can't see anyone loving the design of the battletroids, or the 'semi evolving' look of the starships or the 1950's jetcar things they drive around in on Coruscant, or the dopey looking transports, or any of it, it's all just 'Meh'.
Actually, I love the idea of the rolling battle-droids.. heheheh.

Otherwise: nah. Some Star Wars fan I met the other day adviced me to keep looking at the new films as if they were connected to the old. They're a different 'series', so the speak. And looking at it as if they're a spin-off makes the movies better, still terribly bad, but at least better.

cpaulson
02-13-2005, 01:23 PM
i just gotta put my 2 cents in... it really bothers me to hear comments like episode 1 and 2 sucked... i mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but just think for a minute... so many people put so much time and effort into making these movies (not just GL) and by all standards these movies are better than most movies you will see throughout the year... they may have problems and shortcommings but they surely are not the worst things ever created... how many of you can claim to have participated in projects that resulted in the level of quality in these movies? they truly are impressive achievements when you look at the whole picture, maybe they aren't your favorite movies, but come on, give them a little credit. these things are the efforts of many individuals, who spent countless hours working on them... i for one have nothing but respect for these people, and the work that they produced. afterall... who am i to judge? i have never produced something that can come close to what they did. why is everyone so critical of movies like these? you pay 10 bucks to go see it, i don't know of any painting that can be bought for that kind of money....

Gonzomuse
02-13-2005, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I totally respect anyone who can create something so............ Professional, but liking something is an emotional response, and my response to both movies was disapointment.

Of course, had they not been "Star Wars" films, I may of felt differently.
I do agree that there are no Iconic designs, but then the whole thing is designed by commitee, with (as far as I can tell) no grand vision, like the first three films. (mmm, that point is hard to defend, but I watched the designing of "Gen. grevious" and GL told a bunch of young designers to make something "evil" and picked the best one like an under 12's art contest)

Having said all that, I do want Ep3 to be good, ....Please??

thx1138
02-13-2005, 06:59 PM
Apart from the effort and hard work that everyone put into it, they also have a sh#itload of money to work with. Let's not forget that. I'm not saying that makes it less of an achievement, money doesn't replace true craftsmanship or achievement, or story for that matter. And it's a lot of money, but not an endless pile of it. But it sure helped creating that marvelous worlds we saw in EP 1 and 2.
I mean, when I watch the podracer scene, I'm still blown away. And what's not to like about that ? I sure hope we get a lot more of that in EP3. I'm not expecting some huge plot twist or briljant acting. The genre is just not suited for that. LOTR came close though.

NanoGator
02-13-2005, 09:54 PM
these things are the efforts of many individuals, who spent countless hours working on them... i for one have nothing but respect for these people, and the work that they produced. afterall... who am i to judge? i have never produced something that can come close to what they did.

Since they made this movie for you to watch, you are the perfect person to judge. They didn't make this movie to impress other movie makers, they made it to get $10 out of you. You have every right to say it sucks, especially when you left the theater wishing you could get your money back.

Frankly, if somebody's going to spend $100+ million and hire lots and lots of talent to make a movie, there's little excuse for it to be boring.

Joe_H
02-14-2005, 07:40 AM
Let me ask, how many little kids are running around playing with Naboo starfighters - Answer -none, zip, nada why?

You're reall good at pulling statements out of your backside. Here's a question for you and I want an honest answer, which you won't give. Have you gone around the United States and the world, and taken a scientific poll of how many frickin' kids are playing with Star Wars toys? I didn't think so. So you pulled that statement straight out of thin air to prop up your faulty logic. The fact is Star Wars prequel toys have sold extremely well.

Frankly, most of your statements in this thread are downright stupid. If you had any clue as to what you were talking about, you'd be dangerous.

I am actually astonished that so much talent could not produce a single cool looking ship.

That's your opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions.

Here's another picture, for what it's worth.

http://img233.exs.cx/img233/1272/new99v7nt3ew.jpg

Joe_H
02-14-2005, 07:49 AM
especially when you left the theater wishing you could get your money back.

But every single person that wished that, will have their ass in a seat come May and probably have a smile on their face. Personally, people who hated the first two, yet still go to the third one, don't hold much credibility with me.

Frankly, if somebody's going to spend $100+ million and hire lots and lots of talent to make a movie, there's little excuse for it to be boring.

I felt the same way after coming out of LOTR. So you're not alone in feeling that way. Of course one man's trash is another man's treasure.

Pyke
02-14-2005, 10:56 AM
Ive got a naboo starship, and a Darth Maul action figure, proudly displayed next to my APU and Sentinel. To each his own eh?

lovisx
02-14-2005, 02:51 PM
this probably sounds corny, but I remember it being true. We're not in highschool anymore where someone says, ooohhh I didn't like it. It was stupid, and everyone says yeah that was stupid. If you have nothing to back yourself up with, your opinion is meaningless. Real criticism is made by analysing and saying why it made you feel like it wasn't that good. Someone says they feel it was stupid, when they're too ashamed to express why. Perhaps we have super powers of intuition, but to the rest of us those super powers mean nothing unless you know why.

Phynix
02-14-2005, 03:17 PM
i think the main reason why so many people say they dont like the new movies, is because they are different to the old ones.

thats it {full stop}

and thats EXTREMELY narrow minded (as narrowminded as saying the "new" episodes IV - VI are bad )

everyone expected to see the old movies again, but that is something Lucas tried to avoid; just retale the story with different characters

i like ALL star wars movies, and saying that one is worse than another is just a sign of not getting Lucas's message and of not getting the whole idea of star wars, as it is the story about Anaking Skywalker aka Darth Vader

(in my opinion the most emotional scene of the whole serie is the last scene of VI with Hayden Christiansen, i was really shocked when i saw it the first time, as it gives so much to the ALL movies )

NanoGator
02-14-2005, 04:24 PM
"But every single person that wished that, will have their ass in a seat come May and probably have a smile on their face."

From what we've seen so far, the odds of the 'smile on the face' bit are very... VERY... low. All signs are pointing towards this being the worst of the 3. (6 even.)

NanoGator
02-14-2005, 04:46 PM
i think the main reason why so many people say they dont like the new movies, is because they are different to the old ones.

thats it {full stop}

and thats EXTREMELY narrow minded (as narrowminded as saying the "new" episodes IV - VI are bad )

everyone expected to see the old movies again, but that is something Lucas tried to avoid; just retale the story with different characters

Not in my case, no. They were boring. That word, right there, pretty much sums up my feelings for the new trilogy. Jedi are not the most charismatic people around. The other characters to round it out, frankly, had no spark. At some points, the movies were insulting to the fans. Take Episode I, for example. Anakin was special, right? He had unusually high influence with the force, right? Did we ever see that? No. In the pod race, did he ever show any signs of 'being able to see things before they happened? No. What'd we see? He can wiggle switches really fast and make the engines come back on! Super!! Anakin saved the day, right? How'd he do that? By... ACCIDENT! It was an accident his ship flew into battle. It was an accident he didn't get shot down. It was an accident that he flew into a hangar. It was an accident that he fired missiles into a critical reactor placed INSIDE a hangar (??!!) which accidently happened to destroy the most critical ship that ended the battle. Yep, boy of destiny right there. I'm not sure I even want to go into the whole Darth Maul bit. "Soon we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi..."

Episode II... You know, when I was in the theater, I heard several mutterances to the tune of "who are the bad guys?" at the end of the movie. That movie was pretty long, but did it wrap up anything? Nope. Did it reveal anything interesting? Eh yeah, kinda, sorta. "Some dead Jedi ordered a bunch of clones. Not sure if he's good or bad or not, so stick around for the next movie!" Right.

I can't say for certain why a lot of people were let down by the recent Star Wars trilogy. I will say this, though: There is plenty of reason not to like them before getting to the whole "Well it's not the original." reason. Most of the complaints I've heard reflected my own feelings, and that just isn't the reason in my case. Please, give myself and others a little credit. It's fair to say that the movies don't appeal to everybody, but it isn't fair to dismiss the complaints so readily. There actually are reasons not to like these movies. Lots of wasted potential, here.

JeroenDStout
02-14-2005, 05:22 PM
i just gotta put my 2 cents in... it really bothers me to hear comments like episode 1 and 2 sucked... i mean everyone is entitled to their opinion but just think for a minute... so many people put so much time and effort into making these movies (not just GL) and by all standards these movies are better than most movies you will see throughout the year... they may have problems and shortcommings but they surely are not the worst things ever created... how many of you can claim to have participated in projects that resulted in the level of quality in these movies? they truly are impressive achievements when you look at the whole picture, maybe they aren't your favorite movies, but come on, give them a little credit. these things are the efforts of many individuals, who spent countless hours working on them... i for one have nothing but respect for these people, and the work that they produced. afterall... who am i to judge? i have never produced something that can come close to what they did. why is everyone so critical of movies like these? you pay 10 bucks to go see it, i don't know of any painting that can be bought for that kind of money....
"You don't to be better in order to comment". And besides, Catwoman was created by a lot of people as well - which surely doesn't mean that you shouldn't say it sucks. I think the first 2 episodes really were awful, especialy the 2nd.

@Joe_H: That image looks like fan art :shrug:

lovisx
02-14-2005, 06:26 PM
I must admit that the acting in the new ones lack spark. Or maybe it was the writing directing for those actors, but everyone seems distanced from each other. It seems like they're just actors filling roles. For example in the first movie anakin and amadala don't have any chemistry. O b and qui gon seem to be floating in space, and don't really react to each other that much. And when they make comments to each other it's very low key, there's no history or playfullness. In the second one, what bugged me the most was the evil guy, I forget his name, but he just didn't seem evil, he seemed old and in a role that required him to move around too much. I like the relationship between anakin and ob one though. There is tension there, and when anakin blows up you can kind of understand where his pain is coming from, all that power and not even able to stuff a couple of primitive raiders. But yeah, there's no spark or dynamic like there was between leiah luke and han. I think it's hard to find such a great group, but it really made the adventure more fun. I don't know, my dad hated the old ones, and hates the new one and says they're boring. He sees people talking and discussing things and he falls asleep.

anyway, I think I just made this discussion even more ggeeky then it was.

cpaulson
02-14-2005, 08:37 PM
my comments were aimed more at movies in general than the starwars movies... i appreciate that some people did not enjoy the starwars movies a whole lot, and that is fine. i think what i wanted to say, or rather what i wanted to question was why we are so critical of movies in general? most of the movies that make it to theaters are quite impressive achievements when you really consider what it takes to create something like that... of course some are better than others, but for the most part there are very few movies that are truly "awful" products. and is it necassary for a movie to be top quality in all aspects in order for it to be acceptable to us? the acting and story are just parts of a whole in the starwars movies... is it impossible for a movie to be good based on it's aesthetic alone?

NanoGator
02-14-2005, 09:28 PM
"and is it necassary for a movie to be top quality in all aspects in order for it to be acceptable to us? the acting and story are just parts of a whole in the starwars movies... is it impossible for a movie to be good based on it's aesthetic alone?"

It is necessay for the movie to entertain for a good chunk of the time. Most popular movies have glaring flaws or silliness in them that makes them far from perfect. Robocop comes to mind. It's well loved, but well flawed. The thing is, it entertained. For myself, personally eps I and II were complete "Argh, why am I here?" They may have been really great accomplishments, but they weren't in the area that really really really matters: Entertainmnet. I didn't pay $10 to watch an ILM demo reel. I paid $10 to say "whoah! That 90 minutes just flew right by!"

lovisx
02-14-2005, 09:52 PM
I'm just saying that the spark between luke and leiah and han solo might have added something special to the original movies, but I'll admit that the original movies were probably such a success because of the fx work.

Joe_H
02-14-2005, 11:28 PM
Nanogator, for someone that despises two films so much, you sure do talk about them a lot. In fact, you go on and on and on and on, almost to a puke inducing degree. Jesus Christ, how many frickin' times are you going to beat that dead horse? Act like normal people who don't like something. Let it go and move on. We get it! We heard you the first time. We don't need to hear

From what we've seen so far, the odds of the 'smile on the face' bit are very... VERY... low.

Speak for yourself. Besides, I think you'd have to be a damn fool, no offense, to even go to the film. But you will.

@Joe_H: That image looks like fan art

Yeah, right! Don't be stupid.

All signs are pointing towards this being the worst of the 3. (6 even.)

All signs point to this being the best of the three, but then you know next to nothing about the film. What are all these signs you talk about. Wait, nevermind! I couldn't care less. Last thing I want is to drag you into another conversation.

Personally, I thought people here might like to see some of the Episode III pictures, considering this is is CGTalk! Boy how wrong I was. More of the same, tired useless garbage that goes on it every SW thread on here. I won't make that mistake again.

NanoGator
02-15-2005, 12:30 AM
Nanogator, for someone that despises two films so much, you sure do talk about them a lot. In fact, you go on and on and on and on, almost to a puke inducing degree. Jesus Christ, how many frickin' times are you going to beat that dead horse? Act like normal people who don't like something. Let it go and move on. We get it! We heard you the first time. We don't need to hear"

The question I was replying to was not rehetorical. However, if you really don't want to hear it again, then I suggest you stop perpetuating it like you are right now. You are no less guilty than I. Frankly, if you want to keep people like me quiet, then I suggest you stop treating us like we don't have rational opinions. It's insulting and I have every right to defend myself.

Speak for yourself. Besides, I think you'd have to be a damn fool, no offense, to even go to the film. But you will.

I'm not offended. :) I've explained why I'll see it. I agree, I'm not making the best move. Oh well.

All signs point to this being the best of the three, but then you know next to nothing about the film. What are all these signs you talk about. Wait, nevermind! I couldn't care less. Last thing I want is to drag you into another conversation.

Heh. I think you're more worried that I'll point out something you don't want to hear. You have not demonstrated that you can take criticsm of the Star Wars movies to well.

Personally, I thought people here might like to see some of the Episode III pictures, considering this is is CGTalk! Boy how wrong I was. More of the same, tired useless garbage that goes on it every SW thread on here. I won't make that mistake again.

As I said before, you've fed some of that garbage. Heck, you did it just in the post I'm quoting. How can you seriously expect to guilt people into doing what you want when you were quit eager to join in? Seriously man, show some respect. I've made every effort to be polite and courteous here. I've also made the effort to explain WHY some feel the way they do. It would really be beneficial for you when posting threads like these to understand where the other side was coming from. With that info, the discussion can stay professional. Until you do that, then what do you expect? Honestly, how did you expect me to reply to your post? Act like a normal person? These are not the words of somebody looking for a peaceful resolution.

Chill man, I'm not out to make your life miserable.

Pyke
02-16-2005, 01:42 PM
I know its been said time and time again...but just because of how true it is, it needs repeating.

Everybody who hates Star Wars...you will pay your $10...and watch it, just like all us others that you 'so fondly' label as 'ILM/George Lucas Fan Boys'
And then probably come on here and complain, by saying something cliche'd like "I want my money back."

Mark this post people...for it is the future. :)

Go Star Wars!!

NanoGator
02-16-2005, 04:46 PM
"Everybody who hates Star Wars...you will pay your $10...and watch it, just like all us others that you 'so fondly' label as 'ILM/George Lucas Fan Boys'"

Um... yeah. Imagine people frequenting CGTalk wanting to see VFX. :rolleyes:

"And then probably come on here and complain, by saying something cliche'd like "I want my money back."

And the equally cliched reply will be: "Despite your legitimate complaint I refuse to recognize, the real reason you didn't like the movie is that you have something wrong with your brain. It couldn't possibly have been George Lucas's fault."

Frankly I'd be far less inclined to 'whine' about spending $10 on a movie I didn't enjoy if the people who did enjoy it would open their minds to the possibility that the movie wasn't perfect.

Boone
02-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Personally, I think the prequels are great. When I watched The Phantom Menace for the first time, I felt like I was finally back in that Galaxy far, far away again. But I must say that the acting was very...ummm...dull. Obi-Wan could be shagging the ass out of Jar-Jar and the rest of the cast would still act like they would be washing their socks the day after... :scream:

Episode II seemed to "lighten up" a little from the previous film, but I do get the feeling that George is...somehow restricting his cast from letting them do their own thing? A good example of this would be the scene where Hayden speaks the line "I miss you mom...SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO MUUUUUCHHH!" - I'm sorry, but Hayden has done better performances else where( Shattered Glass ) and George is simply giving directions like "Say it like you're going for a dump.......yeah, like that!". :banghead:

Still, when I watch the prequels, I see the same romance with Cinema that I got with the original trilogy and the Indy movies. Its not so much in the acting or script, but the visions of things like...the storm before World War I, dashing secret Agent vrs the Rocket Man working for the Germans, Air Cavalry finally able to enjoy themselves, Innocent country boy leaps head-first into the dangers of the big city...Hell, even the T-Birds kicking butt in their fancy automobiles! :bounce:

All I can say is, that I'm really looking forward to dashing up to my local Cinema and enjoying two more hours of good'ol'fashioned movie magic! :love:

kmest
02-17-2005, 08:55 PM
i think there is nothing wrong with the new trilogy.it has a great story,best special effects and brilliant concept....technicauly these movies are the best in each year they came.(c'mon.we all know on 1999 the visual effects awards must have been given to EP1.matrix had done great job but not like what ILM did.and i have problems with EP2 and TWO TOWERS.)
there is just something wrong about the george lucas directing.he cant force the actores for better acting.i think thats all.

most of the peoples i know who hate starwars movies are the one intrested in MATRIX movies styles.the new modern stories about science,computer and philosefy.
but the truth is that the starwars movies are BASED on classical rules.look at the CLONE WARS sequence on EP2.sure they could do it more like real wars,some thing that we saw on Saving Private Ryan but they didnt because this is STARWARS.it has to be classical.no MTV Fast editing,no Complicated camera moves.but u can see those LOVELY transitions between sequences.

the story i think is VERY VERY WELL WRITTEN.you can see all the conections between EP1 and EP2.

many say the EP1 is not like the old starwars trilogy.well it's right because it's happening long before them.before the dark times.before the empire.you can see that in EP1 its all clean and bright and beautifull (not much of what we had seen on OLD trilogy),then on EP2 it goes more dertier,more darker and in EP3(as the pics we have seen) it's very much like the old ones.very dirty,very dark. a great transition between the whole 6 films.

in EP1 it was the begining of the story.try not to see it as FIRST:the old trilogy SECOND:new trilogy.we have to see it from EP1 to EP6.its a Sixology by now...

any way.i've grown with starwars and LOVE them very much.the pics are great and i'm realy realy waiting to see the movie

madheavy
02-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Let me ask, how many little kids are running around playing with Naboo starfighters - Answer -none, zip, nada why? Cos they are the suckiest looking starships out there. When I was young everyone wanted a X-wing or the Millenium Falcon, that stuff was cool, I mean storm troopers were cool, the death star was cool, imperial star destroyers , AT-TT were cool etc etc.

What do the prequels bring to that? Nothing!

So Sad. So true. I only liked the Jedi Starfighter and the cool clone 'gunboat' thingee.

Darktwin
02-18-2005, 10:34 AM
Natalie Portman, damn she's beautiful, intelligent, independant, and successful what more could a person want?

I hope Episode III is really good, or at least better than the last two.:D

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 11:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.