PDA

View Full Version : Compiling/installing mental ray shaders on linux

Boglin
02-11-2005, 05:19 PM
Hiya,

I'm trying to get some of the custom shaders working on my linux box - especially the mix8layer and dirtmap shaders - so far with no luck :cry: I've looked round the web - but haven't found a solution.

I'll go through my steps so far... (concentrating on mentalray standalone because it seems to be able to give a more verbose output)

Attempt 1: - from a precompiled download
x Copied the dynamic library (.so) part into my mentalray/lib directory
x Copied the mentalRay include (.mi) part into my mentalray/include directory
x Added
link "{SHADERBASE}/lib/mix8layer.{DSO}"
mi "{SHADERBASE}/include/mix8layer.mi"
to my ray3rc file.
Trying to render gives the following link error:
LINK 0.0 error 191006: failed to load library <cut> mix8layer.so: undefined symbol: __gxx_personality_v0
When the mi file is read, no suprise, it can't find the mix8layer function.
Digging around this seems to be related to having been compiled with gcc rather than g++. As I had the source I moved onto...
Attempt 2: - compiling source
x Compiled source (basing on the Makefiles from the mentalRay devkit) using g++ for the linking.
x Copied over previous library
Trying to render gives:
LINK 0.0 error 191006: failed to load library <cut> mix8layer.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I've checked the MI_LIBRARY_PATH is pointing at the right place - and everything else I can think of. Including opening the permissions up (chmod 777) copying the .so to /lib - playing with ld.so.conf - and even turning on LD_DEBUG.

At this point I'm stuck and probably just need advice from someone who has done this before. I'd also love to know a good place to look to start writing shaders from scratch. Have found bits and pieces but nothing particularly helpful.

Thanks for any help

B.

Boglin
02-12-2005, 11:29 AM
Adding:

link "/usr/aw/maya6.0/lib/libstdc++.so"

to my rayrc seems to have let me pick up the __gxx_personality_v0 symbol I was looking for... Not quite sure why I have to manually link it in - do others find this?

Will update as I find out more...

B.

MunCHeR
02-18-2005, 02:02 PM
i compiled it already, here:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=163774&highlight=linux+shaders

MunCH

Boglin
02-18-2005, 03:52 PM
Cool, I must have completely missed them......

Does anyone have v1.1 of Francesca's mix8layer - source or compiled?

Thanks

B.

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.