PDA

View Full Version : ctrl_buffers

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

francescaluce
02-11-2005, 05:10 PM
a pair of shaders to control interactively from within maya your framebuffers, store and write them out directly to img files.

http://img180.exs.cx/img180/1319/ctrlblayers2jh.jpg

*first collect the infos you need into separate buffers.
http://img165.exs.cx/img165/5738/ctrlbstore3ny.jpg

*then setup the buffer_write to write out the buffers to separate img files.
http://img165.exs.cx/img165/5052/ctrlbwrite6ug.jpg

http://img165.exs.cx/img165/3286/ctrlbverbose0lz.jpg

cpan
02-11-2005, 05:15 PM
great stuff !!

vive francesca :applause:

zkanal
02-11-2005, 05:59 PM
Woot!! Been waiting for something like this for AGES :)
You still are the champion, ragazza astuta!
:bounce:

dagon1978
02-11-2005, 06:04 PM
yeaaaaaaaaaaaah!! i was waiting for this!!
:scream: :scream: :scream: :scream:

sei la meglio! ;)

mat

lazzhar
02-11-2005, 06:20 PM
that's too much :p

francescaluce
02-11-2005, 06:54 PM
you can also 'break up' your scene lighting in different buffers and then recompose the whole after...
you'll just need a shader which has a way to link lights from its interface like the standard mib_illumin.

http://img124.exs.cx/img124/6575/ctrlblights3fx.jpg
the up left and right are occlusion and specular buffers.
down left spot light with shadow.. right point'ambient' light.
spot-add-point-screen-spec-multiply-occ

Ze PilOt
02-11-2005, 07:59 PM
great ! :)

It's maybe asking a lot, but can you release the source code, or just the part that output the buffer to files ?

Jozvex
02-11-2005, 09:03 PM
I think we need to start building a giant marble statue of Francesca so we can praise her greatness all day long!

Great work as always!!

Jackdeth
02-11-2005, 09:48 PM
Awsome. Can I compile it for linux? ....pretty please?

popol
02-11-2005, 09:51 PM
amazing! thanks you so much francesca!

swag
02-11-2005, 10:03 PM
francesca = cg god :)

Jozvex
02-11-2005, 10:15 PM
Wow it works great!! I'm amazed at how you can render out 7 framebuffers at once at the normal speed of 1 fully composited frame, framebuffers are great!

Two tiny questions though:

1. I guessed that you plug a material into the 'render buffer' slot just so you can see it in the render view window, but it doesn't get saved out? At least it didn't for me. Or is that what the 'skip renderregion' control does?

2. Is there the possibility of making it so that the outputted files are named whatever you called them in the store shader instead of user1 etc? Like .specular.0.iff? Sorry, I'm sure you've already thought of that.

ceql
02-12-2005, 01:32 AM
Wow!!! Thank you so much, francesca! :applause:

Undseth
02-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Wow! Nice.

And I would be thrilled to see a comprehensive tutorial from someone regarding this stuff.

slipknot66
02-12-2005, 02:02 AM
:rolleyes: ........sem Palavras........no words.......!! Obrigado Francesca:)
im working on a new Maya/Mentalray Interior scene.. with 6.5... and this ...this is from hell..lol..:twisted:

vectormodeling
02-12-2005, 02:09 AM
OS X compile? anybody?

Daniel Whitton
02-12-2005, 07:22 AM
Wow. Awesome. Now I can through away my MPR plugin.:). Atleast I've got the concepts now.

Thanks.

Daniel Whitton
02-12-2005, 07:43 AM
Francescaluce

Did you write a zdepth shader,or is that just for reference?

Digidim
02-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Finally.!!! :bounce:

cryolab
02-12-2005, 11:55 AM
very cool stuff ! would be nice that the names get the framepadding from the renderglobals?!

love this bufferstuff !!!

francescaluce
02-12-2005, 02:42 PM
I guessed that you plug a material into the 'render buffer' slot just so you can see it in the render view window, but it doesn't get saved out? At least it didn't for me. Or is that what the 'skip renderregion' control does?

Jozvex the renderbuffer or primary buffer is the standard rgba output.. and it is controlled by the first tab in your renderglobals. instead the skip renderregion just allows you to skip the buffer writing while you're not rendering a full frame (remember also to disable the buffers into the buffer_store.. or mr will takes more time also to render them out while they're not writed out in the final)

Did you write a zdepth shader,or is that just for reference?
if you enable the depth buffer in your camera->mentalray settings, you'll get an automatic depth pass with no additional render time.. the buffer_write will recognize this and will output the file.. also supported are the motion and normal buffers. however take care that these buildin buffers will not interpolate the output so you'll get jagged edges on the silhouette. you should use your custom shader and the buffer_store to get interpolated results (about this.. do not enable manually the userframebuffer under the renderglobals(maya65).. you'll get uninterpolated results.. instead just play with the buffer.range to get enabled your buffers in the right way... it tooks me more time to hack this than actually write both the shaders...).. I will add some more explicit ctrls in the future.

would be nice that the names get the framepadding from the renderglobals?! I also thought about this.... along with a way to take the name directly from the buffer_store. :)

ciao

zkanal
02-12-2005, 08:19 PM
Is it possible to get ths shader to output all shadows in a separate pass?
Or maybe fb's don't work that way?

Ze PilOt
02-12-2005, 09:44 PM
Is it possible to get ths shader to output all shadows in a separate pass?
Or maybe fb's don't work that way?

You must understand that framebuffers are just used to output multiples images from a single render. Framebuffers are not a "pass system", except if you layer your shaders (diffuse, spec, refl, ... in separate shaders, mixed with a mixlayer ie) and then output these shaders to differents framebuffers. So you can output a shadow pass if you make a shadow shader :)

PS: Zdepth and others specials things (available in the main framebuffer in maya render globals) are used by mr by default and can be outputed directly

zkanal
02-12-2005, 10:20 PM
Ok, I *thought* it worked like that, but one cannot know without asking :)
Thanks for your reply.

francescaluce
02-13-2005, 03:22 AM
I got some pms asking for explanations.. what can I add in that direction is just that each
buffer when enabled (buffer.range) from the buffer_write is really empty and waiting for
the buffer_store to write to it while rendering.. this means that you can actually use n
buffer_store to write all to the same buffers... if you decide that ie the channel1 will be
specular.. you can attach to each mat you'll need on that channel a buffer_store with a
specular shader plugged to the buffer1.. mr will collect that infos and write them to a
separate image. but you could use also your buffers to make some sorts of alphas or objs
matting.. just plug the full material to a 'reserved' buffer and not to the render.buffer..
the rendered image will show black while your obj will be on a separate img.. or in the
same manner you could just collect a group of obj to get their own pass. the same thing
happens for example also for lights.. you only need a shader that can link from the
hypershade the lights it needs.. if you plain to output separate imgs for each light
contribution to be composed later you'll need just a buffer_store and n. identical shaders
each one with its own light attached... here a minimal light study.

http://img161.exs.cx/img161/7017/ctrlhslights2rv.jpg

http://img161.exs.cx/img161/7467/ctrlbmultilights3sj.jpg

the occlusion pass is the standard render output.. really no lights are directly worked out
in the main buffer. here each light has it own channel.. evry mat in the scene will have
the same construction of the above hypershade.. each mib_phong points to one of the
four lights.. plugged into the respective buffer.

Firas
02-13-2005, 08:59 PM
look great.. i'll test it tomorow and post my feed back..
realy great work.

francescaluce
02-14-2005, 01:13 AM
got it !! :scream:
I was not really happy with the limitation of 7 buffers (8 actually but the first is reserved)
.. well, I removed that. I acces directly the options block through mentalray api using
a geometry shader. fu*k you alias ! we have now unlimited buffers for real productions
(I have limited them to 16 for now). forget about that crap framebuffer options in the
renderglobals.. create a dummy object that will not be rendered and simply attach the
buffer_api to its mentalray->geometry.shader, set there your buffer number and also the
output type.. like interpolated.rgba(+rgba) and so on.. you can still ctrl your revamped
options block while mentalray starts (mentalray RC)..

http://img221.exs.cx/img221/7994/ctrlboptout1fy.jpg

the other things remain the same.
here the final output with the verbose from ctrl.buffers.

http://img221.exs.cx/img221/1121/ctrlbuserout3vf.jpg

EDITED:: buffer_api removed. it brings instability to maya.

Jackdeth
02-14-2005, 01:15 AM
must.....get....linux.....version....or....life.....will....have...no....meaning....anymore....ughhhhh.:)

francescaluce
02-14-2005, 01:21 AM
must....first...finish...the...shader....I...wanna...include..a..multilayer.openexr..support.. :)

Jozvex
02-14-2005, 01:37 AM
Hehe, great work again!

:buttrock:

Jackdeth
02-14-2005, 01:43 AM
...must...give...you...hug....once....its...done..:)

neutronic
02-14-2005, 02:53 AM
it is a pleasure to work with this shaders.
I consider this way better than using passes and override mechanisms.
unilimited buffers.. super !!

/n

lazzhar
02-14-2005, 08:58 AM
That's great !!
Btw, it's crazy but I'd say that I went even and met fransceca in my dreams yesterday.. and she doesnt look like a girl with a cat on her chest.
http://www.algeria.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif http://www.algeria.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

amirjahanlou
02-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Well done man, It's just perfect.

I just have a bit of wonder :

Is there a way to render a scene and seperate the shadows ?

What i mean is I want to have my color pass alone and my shadow pass alone, I went through and honestly couldn't make it, It always gives me the shadow in color pass as well as the shadow pass.

I would be so thankfull to have an example scene like that .

Once again great stuff man.

MasterZap
02-14-2005, 10:34 AM
unilimited buffers.. super !!
Especially since mr 3.4 do not keep extra buffers in RAM (unless you ask it to), making renders of huge dimensions w. huge buffer count not limited by RAM size.

Spiffy, innit ;)

/Z

a23
02-14-2005, 11:01 AM
Well done man, It's just perfect.

I just have a bit of wonder :

Is there a way to render a scene and seperate the shadows ?

What i mean is I want to have my color pass alone and my shadow pass alone, I went through and honestly couldn't make it, It always gives me the shadow in color pass as well as the shadow pass.

I would be so thankfull to have an example scene like that .

Once again great stuff man.

First of all my compliments on this shader, too. Just great and even greater that you work so fast on the feedback, too.

I too wish for a shadow shader similar to the one available in XSI. If I remember correctly it's an illumination shader that plug's into the surface port of the material. It shouldn't be that hard doing, but who will? :love:

UPDATE:

I just digged into the XSI shaders a bit, and i managed to write an .mi file to load the shader in maya from the sibase.dll. As this is my first time doing such a thing i might still need some help with the light list AEtemplate. I'll share it with all of you to use the sib_shadow_material.mi ;-)

AndY

shine77
02-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Iīm getting a diffrence in the way the images are sampled.Anybody else getting this:( Great shader, thanx for sharing:)
http://www.3d.is/%7Emonkey/files/bufferTest.jpg

serkor0000
02-14-2005, 11:32 AM
what about mac version?

elvis75k
02-14-2005, 03:41 PM
senza parole...

a23
02-14-2005, 06:16 PM
Ok, i'm posting the sib_shadow_material.mi here because it could still use a little help from the community.

With this .mi file and the sibase.dll which comes with XSI you can load the shadow material shader from XSI inside Maya. Which means any object you assing this to just renders the shadow it's receiving :bounce:

Things to look out for:
- the shadow is rendered to the alpha channel if you don't check 'rgb'
- for the alpha channel to appear check the 'pass custom alpha' in the renderoptions > custom entries
- the shader should be plugged into the MR material shader i the shading group or else it's slow

I hope someone would write a nice light selector AEtemplate like with all pixero shaders.

That's it so far, enjoy! For all that have access to the sibase.dll (and don't ask me for it!)

Great almost forgot the link: http://www.twentythree.de/andy23/sib_shadow_material.mi

AndY

floze
02-14-2005, 06:44 PM
Ok, i'm posting the sib_shadow_material.mi here because it could still use a little help from the community.

With this .mi file and the sibase.dll which comes with XSI you can load the shadow material shader from XSI inside Maya. Which means any object you assing this to just renders the shadow it's receiving :bounce:
Uhmm.. what's so wrong about the useBackground shader? If that doesnt help, try Puppet's p_shadow:
http://www.puppet.cgtalk.ru/download/shaders_p_e.shtml

a23
02-14-2005, 07:02 PM
hey floze,

there's nothing wrong with the background shader, except that in my testing it always shadowed in the ambient part as well. anyway, thank's for the link, i didn't know of it.

Thanks again for posting, it should help a few other people out here. I'll try them out and see how they work for me.

AndY

LMD
02-14-2005, 09:39 PM
In Maya 6.5 the use background shader is working with final gather !

thanks a lot francesca for this very very great set of shaders!

and thank in advance for the multilayer.openexr !!

Laurent.

MunCHeR
02-15-2005, 06:17 AM
I think we need to start building a giant marble statue of Francesca so we can praise her greatness all day long!

Franchesca you rock, I'm thinking we need a cgtalk working bee around at your place, lawns mown, garden weeded, hedges trimmed, dishes washed...I give great foot massages:love:

Thanks again, you unbanable(sp?) cherub:D

MunCH

elvis75k
02-15-2005, 09:37 AM
I'm lost (or similiar).

I have my scene with my mesh and many shaders assigned.. Now i create the buffer_store in the hypergraph and start to put my shaders in the buffer.1, buffer.2 and so on.. I've set the buffer_write to the output shader in the persp camera with the name for the output render.. tweak the buffer_range to ..3
Now i think i'm ready.. So i render but in the output window i see many errors

PHEN 0.2 info : writing depth buffer to "last.zdepth.1.iff"
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (14)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (15)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (16)
PHEN 0.2 info : -----------------------------------------------

So i decide to assign the buffer_store to the whole mesh and again the error came up..
Then i restore my shaders association and start to add the buffer_api to the invisible cube as read in the docs.. Booom. In the specified path now i see the sad.user#.#.iff but they are black images.. Ok, now, again assign the buffer_store to all and finally i see my outputs!!!

PHEN 0.2 info : ctrl.buffers ----------------------------------
PHEN 0.2 info : writing depth buffer to "last.zdepth.1.iff"
PHEN 0.2 info : writing user buffer 1 to "last.user1.1.iff"
PHEN 0.2 info : writing user buffer 2 to "last.user2.1.iff"
PHEN 0.2 info : writing user buffer 3 to "last.user3.1.iff"
PHEN 0.2 info : writing user buffer 4 to "last.user4.1.iff"

Very sad story because i have no more the original shader assignment..

I suppose you're about to laugh.. but i'm waiting for a help!!

Is this procedure correct? Do i have to assign multiple buffer_store per mesh?

There you have my desktop.. (i wish i can capture the reflex of my face too).. :twisted:

http://www.elvis64k.com/cg_help/ctrl_buffer.jpg

Why nobody post a simple scene? Why this simple scene is not included in the shader download?

Thanks for reading my story

-elvis

ulei
02-15-2005, 12:58 PM
thanks for that great tool - it is just what i was looking for ...

@elvis: i didnīt read all of your post (the "why does nobody..." thing was anoying me) but what might help you: material->buffer_store->SGroup ... thats what it must look like .. and the buffer write must be the output shader of the camera ...

donīt know anything else, just getting started ;)

ghosh
02-15-2005, 01:57 PM
hey francesca

really cool but something is missing... write all the diffrent passes in one file (like exr) so maybe you have time to do something like that...
but big respekt for all the stuff

ghosh

Blazer
02-15-2005, 02:23 PM
I'd kind of like to second a little more help.

The shader's francesca makes are awsome, and really give users a chance to take MR to where it belongs, without having an in house programmer. That said, perhaps she should team up with Jozvax who could create somewhat better documentation, or somone else would help in explaining exact use, and perhaps some of the possibilities these tools provide.

Thanks again for supporting the community!

ulei
02-15-2005, 02:58 PM
Hi!

Now i ran into problems as well: A fast test yesterday worked fine, with one exception, i used only one object and one "color"-shader.
now trying to work with a more complex scene today, i canīt get it to work.
I just have to objects, to different color-shaders for them. what I want is a buffer output into 1 color-pass, 1 ambient occlusion and a shadow pass.
But i donīt know what setup i need to get the 2 color shaders connected to the buffer_store without wasting one inbuffer-channel ...

Help and screenshots greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ulrich

****EDIT****
should have tested more intense first, then posted ;)
sollution: use as many buffer_stores as you like or better: in every shading network one "buffer_store" node.

a23
02-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Hi!

Now i ran into problems as well: A fast test yesterday worked fine, with one exception, i used only one object and one "color"-shader.
now trying to work with a more complex scene today, i canīt get it to work.
I just have to objects, to different color-shaders for them. what I want is a buffer output into 1 color-pass, 1 ambient occlusion and a shadow pass.
But i donīt know what setup i need to get the 2 color shaders connected to the buffer_store without wasting one inbuffer-channel ...

Help and screenshots greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Ulrich

Sounds like a job for the TripleSwitch. Check your docs on that.

AndY

elvis75k
02-15-2005, 03:16 PM
@ulei.. Oh i've not read your full reply to thread (this ****EDIT**** anoyng me too) so i think you may read my post first, then start tweak your scene..

Thanks alot

ulei
02-15-2005, 03:19 PM
sorry - it just sounded like "i get something for free and start complaining because itīs not perfect"

elvis75k
02-15-2005, 03:29 PM
yes maya crashes alot, but this is v1.1.. I'm shure that francescaluce is working on the shader, as usual the time will pay us with a producion quality shader. (both hands cross fingered)

Jozvex
02-16-2005, 02:12 AM
Very sad story because i have no more the original shader assignment..

I suppose you're about to laugh.. but i'm waiting for a help!!

Is this procedure correct? Do i have to assign multiple buffer_store per mesh?

You are correct (as far as I know). If you have more than one shader assigned to different parts of the same mesh, you need to apply a different buffer_store to each part. The only reason this is a problem for you is because you're using a scene that's already been created, before the ctrl_buffer shader was invented.

Normally you would plan to use the ctrl_buffer shader right from the start of you scene, so it wouldn't matter. To help manage your knife scene you could create Quick Select Sets of the different areas that need a different shader, that way you won't need to reselect the parts manually if you need to change shaders.

For other people out there who may not know, if you want to 'convert' a normal shading network (like a phong with textures in a few slots) you don't need to totally start again using seperate shaders for each frame buffer. You can branch your textures (say one for specular) off into a totally separate Surface Shader and then connect that Surface Shader into the buffer_store. Which means your original shader is unchanged, it just connects out to 'satellite?' Surface Shader nodes.

I think I better make some images and a scene! Hehe.

:thumbsup:

Jozvex
02-16-2005, 04:33 AM
Haha, now I'm confusing my own self working on example scenes. Some things I've noticed:

* It seems to crash if you try doing more than one object at a time.

* If you're using a bumped shader as a frame buffer, you need to turn on 'Export with Shading Engine' on the Shading Group node of the buffer_store otherwise the bump renders crazily (at least with 2D bump). I got the idea from the Misss_simple shaders, you have to do it with them too.

* The object you're frame buffering seems to render with no anti-aliasing against other objects, so perhaps hide everything else (at least from primary visibilty).

:shrug:

Daniel Whitton
02-16-2005, 07:06 AM
Jozvex

Maybe you can help me with a simple setup. I don't know what I'm missing,but I can't get this simple scene to render out the buffer passes

Sample Scene
Bufers.mb (http://www.whitton3d.com/Bufers.mb)

Thanks

Dan

slipknot66
02-16-2005, 09:36 AM
Daniel Whitton, open the attribute editor for the buffer_write shader and change this "\" to this "/", at the filepath tab. Then it will render just fine:)

elvis75k
02-16-2005, 10:49 AM
@ Jozvex ::. You're a voice from the heaven. Your reply was very helpfull, very clear indeed.
I've run in many crashes too.. About the aliasing, i don't know.. I suggest to change the filtering option in the buffer_write node. For the bumb i didn't try, but the export for the shading engine sometime is exactely the medicine for crazy renders.

@ David ::. I'll test your scene as soon i can.. Thanks for posting.

-elvis

joie
02-16-2005, 11:03 AM
Hey all;

Iīm overhelmed of these things, I really want to try that but I canīt download the files, explorer says the .zip is CORRUPT ARGH!

Help me please!

Iīll try to download it at home just to make sure though.

ulei
02-16-2005, 12:36 PM
anti-aliasing is not working here too

neutronic
02-16-2005, 02:29 PM
I'm quite sure you have not set the buffer_api to +rgba.. read well the posts.
you'll have interpolated images then use at least 0,1 as sampling to get nice results also for the buffers. the difference in sampling someone reported is a thing you should fix in post.. framebuffers in general have this kind of problems. don't blame too much the tools.
and last thing I also get some random crash, but it happens for all the operations that require maya to read/write from/to external files, we get the same kind of crashes also with lightmaps and for example miss_fast_skin. mayatomentalray sucks !!

/n

joie
02-16-2005, 03:02 PM
Ok, I have tried to download the files at home and doesnīt work at all, could anybody please share it in .rar format or any other one or send the files to my e-mail?

Thank you very much in advance.

neutronic
02-16-2005, 03:15 PM
could you please try to open that ****ing zip with winrar ?!
it works. :)

/n

floze
02-16-2005, 03:23 PM
Repacked it, try again.

edit: removed

ulei
02-16-2005, 04:12 PM
got it !! :scream:
forget about that crap framebuffer options in the
renderglobals.. create a dummy object that will not be rendered and simply attach the
buffer_api to its mentalray->geometry.shader, set there your buffer number and also the
output type.. like interpolated.rgba(+rgba) and so on.. you can still ctrl your revamped
options block while mentalray starts (mentalray RC)..

Could someone please explain that?

What is a buffer_api (google: 0 results, CG-Talk: 0 results (except this thread ;) ) ?

Thanks,
Ulrich

joie
02-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Hey, thank you very much Floze, the new ones works perfectly.

I tried opening th fu**ing .zip in winrar but didnīt work, the new ones are OK.

Thankīs again.

francescaluce
02-16-2005, 05:42 PM
Could someone please explain that? What is a buffer_api ...
buffer_api is actually nothing. I removed it from the pack. please floze remove also your links.
it was a 'legal' way to implement from maya extra options for mentalray. but it is in any
way stable. it does not only crash the scene sometimes but it really brings instability to the
whole maya apz. randomly :)
why this? I donno. maya doesn't crash for the buffer_api itself. the problem I see is that she
cannot handle the buffers enabled in that way, she crashes most of the times on internal
operations like adding the temp buffers or while removing them, these activity is not
controlled by the ctrl_buffers.dll. I have to say that geometry api implementation
is not supported by the mayatomr plugin. buffer_api works perfectly on xsi and standalone
and for what it does there's no one point in getting that instability to maya.

you're back to 8 stable framebuffers.
( dw it from the first page )

ciao
francesca

joie
02-16-2005, 05:57 PM
Ey, donīt do this please, post them in .rar so I can download them, I didnīt have enough time to download, please Floze, convert them to .rar please.

Thankīs in advance.

floze
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Actually francesca's files work fine. They're in gzip format though, I recommend getting a new winrar version - however, it really should work!

joie
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
I know that the error I get is unnusual and stupid, but yours work and the zips uploaded by francesca donīt, I donīt understand either but itīs true, if you donīt mind you could send them to me at "joieATwanadooDOTes".

And thankīs again.

ulei
02-16-2005, 06:11 PM
ok thank you,

back to the old question:
how do i get the anti-aliasing / interpolation working?

floze
02-16-2005, 06:46 PM
ok thank you,

back to the old question:
how do i get the anti-aliasing / interpolation working?
Hmm... as soon as my primary buffer exceeds the value of 0.008 the sampling works perfectly. Is there an explanation to this? Or is it just some mr voodoo? :surprised

edit: However, it doesnt seems to be antialiased against the 'background'?

francescaluce
02-16-2005, 06:55 PM
by enabling the buffer.range from the buffer_write you'll get interpolation by default.
you can ctrl this in the mentalray verbosity as I posted early.

RC 0.2 info : option: image type interpolate
RC 0.2 info : 0 rgba yes
RC 0.2 info : 12 rgb yes
RC 0.2 info : 13 rgba yes

the 13th is the first valid user buffer on maya6.5 and it corresponds to your user1 channel.
you'll need also a decent sampling from the renderglobals.

occlusion.user1.0.iff
http://img210.exs.cx/img210/4646/cbsaliasbck9cy.jpg

maskbck.user2.0.iff
http://img171.exs.cx/img171/1046/cbsaliasbckmask9tv.jpg
the blur comes from the jpeg compression

a23
02-16-2005, 07:09 PM
... buffer_api works perfectly on xsi and standalone
and for what it does there's no one point in getting that instability to maya.

Sorry if haven't checked for any places, but did you release these framebuffer shaders for xsi as well? I'd be very interested in those.

AndY

francescaluce
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
we do these things in the spare time at ctrl.studio.
max that has more patience than me has posted scenes and whatever on the xsibase.

MasterZap
02-16-2005, 07:37 PM
why this? I donno. maya doesn't crash for the buffer_api itself. the problem I see is that she
cannot handle the buffers enabled in that way, she crashes most of the times on internal
operations like adding the temp buffers or while removing them, these activity is not
controlled by the ctrl_buffers.dll.

francesca, make sure you are aware that all mi_api* calls that take strings want the string allocated (and they then free it) generally with mi_mem_strdup(). Failure to do so (i.e. passing a static string or something you later free yourself) will create these kind of "it didn't crash now, but it crashed much later in some totally unrelated function" style crashes.

/Z

francescaluce
02-16-2005, 07:43 PM
thanks zap♥ to take a look here.
I use the mi_mem_strdup(). but it happens anyway on maya and never on xsi or std ...
:)

ciao
francesca

ulei
02-16-2005, 07:47 PM
by enabling the buffer.range from the buffer_write you'll get interpolation by default.
you can ctrl this in the mentalray verbosity as I posted early.

RC 0.2 info : 12 rgb yes

the 13th is the first valid user buffer on maya.
you'll need also a decent sampling from the renderglobals.

"enabling the buffer.range" means giving it a number (3-buffers used -> 3 ?)
i did that, and have/had the same mental-ray messages as you up there, yet no antialiasing. (EDIT: i use maya 5.0<- no, 6.0 of course ... !) by the way.

::::
RC 0.2 info : option: samples min 0, max 2
RC 0.2 info : option: contrast 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1
RC 0.2 info : option: filter gauss 3 3
RC 0.2 info : option: render space object

and

RC 0.2 info : 8 rgb yes
RC 0.2 info : 9 rgba yes
RC 0.2 info : 10 rgba yes
RC 0.2 info : 11 rgba yes
RC 0.2 info : 12 rgba yes

Daniel Whitton
02-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks Slipknot

It works fine now. Could anyone tell me what node is being used in francescaluce's setup to store Z Depth in buffer store.. I have it enabled through the Output settings of my camera,but nothing else.

Thanks

Dan

floze
02-16-2005, 09:14 PM
Thanks Slipknot

It works fine now. Could anyone tell me what node is being used in francescaluce's setup to store Z Depth in buffer store.. I have it enabled through the Output settings of my camera,but nothing else.
The z-buffer seems to be written in the same folder you specify in the buffer_write node. If you wanted to store it in the buffer_store I guess you'd need a z-depth shader like Puppet's one.
http://www.puppet.cgtalk.ru/download/shaders_p_e.shtml

Daniel Whitton
02-16-2005, 09:50 PM
I'll give puppets shader a try.

When I rendered out with Depth check on in the Output shdaer. I could not open the Depth image in Photoshop. I get an error, "Z depth.0.iff could not open file because of a problem with file format interface". Not sure what I did wrong Do I need to have an empty Buffer Store checked on to store that info from the Output shader or is it because it's and iff.Any way thank you very much for your help.

Dan

Jozvex
02-16-2005, 10:42 PM
Do I need to have an empty Buffer Store checked on to store that info from the Output shader

No you don't need to. I think there's something slightly different about the zdepth file format. If you render out the buffers as targa files instead of IFF the zdepth ends up blank. At least it does for me. I've been looking at the passes in imf_disp rather than photoshop and the depth looks fine as IFF for me.

joie
02-16-2005, 10:50 PM
It would be very kind of you if you could explain the workflow a bit for us.., where should I connect the _store node to?

Thankīs in advance.

Jozvex
02-16-2005, 11:12 PM
I was finished some example scenes I made yesterday, but they were for the (unfortunately crashy) unlimited buffer version. I'm redoing them now, it shouldn't take long.

EDIT:
Only Mental Ray shaders seem to produce an alpha in the frame buffers. Is there a way around that? I guess I could use a MR shader to simply pass on the frame buffer information into the store shader so that an alpha is created?

EDIT AGAIN:
Yes that works ok it seems, though it means adding an extra 'alpha catching' shader to each frame buffer network made from Maya shaders.

Jozvex
02-17-2005, 01:46 AM
Ok, my "Frame buffer Method 1" example is finished for those with Maya 6.5:

*see post below for the image*

The scene file is attached. The general idea of this scene is:

* There's a ball on a plane.
* The ball has the buffer_store shader applied directly to it.
* There are five seperate shading networks plugging into the different slots of the buffer_store to give us the different 'passes', as is shown above.
* Networks that are created via regular Maya shaders (in this case only the bump I think) will not on their own be saved out with an alpha, so pass them through an Mib_illum_lambert via the Ambient channel (also with Ambience set to white). That way that shader creates an alpha.
* The network that creates the diffuse 'pass' is also connected to the Render Buffer slot of the buffer_store just so we can see something in the viewport.
* The buffer_write shader is connected to the camera's Output Shader slot, and has been set to write out the 5 buffers.
* You will need to change the path I have specified on the buffer_write node for it to work!!
* On the camera I have also enabled the depth pass. You don't need to store this in any way because it's just a default pass you can use normally anyway.
* In my screenshot above, you can see the image I got by comping the 'passes' together in Digital Fusion (it's a pretty sillly image but hey).
* I also rendered out a pass containing just the ground and shadow, by turning off the 'primary visibilty' on the ball, and turning on 'skip writing' on the buffer_write node (to prevent blank passes of the ball being created. They render blank when the ball is invisible.).

I think that's about it? When I have some more time I'll make another example showing how you can do it using only 1 shading network (like one from a scene you already have) for all the frame buffers instead of seperate ones.

I'm sure Francesca will tell me that I suck or to 'wake up' (hehe) if I've done anything wrong.

Jozvex
02-17-2005, 01:55 AM
Oh crikey, my website's decided not to work at the moment. The image that's supposed to be in the thread above is now attached here.

ulei
02-17-2005, 08:36 AM
as nobody else has the problem, that the anti-aliasing / interpolation is not ok, i guess this is a maya 6.0 problem?

joie
02-17-2005, 10:16 AM
When I render with ctrl_buffers I got my buffers wrote where I want but I get a black render in the render view, is this normal?, I thought you got your normal render AND the render buffers too.

Am I doing something wrong?

floze
02-17-2005, 11:24 AM
When I render with ctrl_buffers I got my buffers wrote where I want but I get a black render in the render view, is this normal?, I thought you got your normal render AND the render buffers too.

Am I doing something wrong?
The image you see in your render view is the primary buffer, in the ctrl_buffers node called 'render buffer' (the topmost one). If you set it to black, it will be written black of course in the render view.

joie
02-17-2005, 11:30 AM
OK, now I feel like a stupid newbie, or am I a total newbie about Mental Ray?, I think yes.

:(

floze
02-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Hey, we're all newbies to this shader! :thumbsup:

joie
02-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Hey!, I didnīt think of that!, but sure, I think we all are newbies with these things...

Puppet|
02-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Does anyone know, it is possible to get filtered custom buffers?

I put to render buffer and to buffer 1 same shader and I have different result because custom buffers not filtered like render buffer (only sampled).

http://www.puppet.cgtalk.ru/buf.gif

I try...
frame buffer 1 "+rgba"
output "+rgba" "tif" "c:/render_test1/test/render.tif"
output "fb1" "tif" "c:/render_test1/test/buf1.tif"

elvis75k
02-17-2005, 01:05 PM
what about alpha? Where he goes?? It's like renferbuffer does not take care of matte-opacity.
We're all newbies.. Forget the exr option for now!

Ze PilOt
02-17-2005, 02:24 PM
what about alpha? Where he goes?? It's like renferbuffer does not take care of matte-opacity.
We're all newbies.. Forget the exr option for now!

due to the awfull gestion of alpha of maya.. you have to create a shader that make a RBGA output (all maya shaders are only rgb, then the alpha is added with the shading engine)

elvis75k
02-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Rock & roll!!

Ronald
02-17-2005, 11:15 PM
Concerning Anti-Aliasing:

I'm having problems to let buffer-write set my framebuffers and the interpolate setting. I saw it working on 1.0 I think, but now with 1.1 it doesn't seem to work. The workaround for thoose who have the same problem would be to go to miDefaultOptions, turn on the framebuffers manually and set the dropdown menu next to each framebuffer checkbox to "+" which basically activates interpolation. for those using maya 6.0: you won't see the options without modifying some mel scripts to tweak the user interface. i did that in maya 6 before having the buffer shader and i cant exactly remember how I did it. But i think I got the tip from www.lamrug.org (http://www.lamrug.org), so check out the site...

one problem i figured out is that the additional buffers are not filtered (but i think puppet already wrote that). one funny thing is, that when you use a shader as primary frame buffer and as custom frame buffer, the shader gets filtered correctly. I almost doubt that this is a shader bug than much more a mr2maya limitation, but maybe Francesca can take a look at it.

Everything else seems to work fine for now..

Ronald

Ronald
02-17-2005, 11:40 PM
concerning the filtering: it seems to work when you turn on "Export Shading Engine" in the shadergroup of the buffer-store node!!!

Ronald

edit: ok, just found out that it is that way in jozvex scene and maybe I just missed stuff in other posts.

francescaluce
02-18-2005, 01:03 AM
concerning the interpolation instead I think you mixed your mel templates over the various
shaders release.. try to overwrite the mel files you have with the last post. the buffer_write
template enables the interpolation by default, I wrote it most for the maya 6 users.

Puppet|
02-18-2005, 08:45 AM
Problem with filtering of custom frame buffers it's not shader problem and it's not Maya problem
It's mental ray problem because I use stand alone with constant shader and without any other shaders like buffer_write and etc. I just put same shader to render buffer and buffer 1 and get different result.

I already ask about it on mentalray mail forum but I not get any answer.

Sorry for my english

courte_manche
02-18-2005, 02:53 PM
I've got a enumeration problem when trying render some frames with ctrl_buffer
i'm rendering a animation, 0 to frame 20 in my timeline, it work fine with the primary buffer with a good enumeration but not for others buffers. MR make packet of five frames (1,2,3,4,5) and jump directely to 10,11,12,13,15 and jump to 20 ... It's just a jump in the enumeration not in the animation...

francescaluce
02-18-2005, 07:16 PM
are you on maya6.0?.. 'coz I forgot to upload the last corrections.
there's a new update for maya6.0.. just some bugs fixed.

/f

Chadrik
02-19-2005, 01:08 AM
In order to get your images to filter properly you must turn on "Export with Shading Engine" under the mental ray tab of your Shading Group. this applies to all mental ray shaders with which you want to use maya's filtering.

one limitation particular to using custom frame buffers is that mr's adaptive sampling is based only on the primary rgb buffer. for instance, if you set adaptive samping to 0-2, but your primary rgb buffer renders black, you will effectively have static sampling of 0-0 in all of your user frame buffers. this is because adaptive sampling is based on contrast between neighboring pixels, and there will be no contrast if all are black.

-chad

Jozvex
02-19-2005, 02:22 AM
one limitation particular to using custom frame buffers is that mr's adaptive sampling is based only on the primary rgb buffer. for instance, if you set adaptive samping to 0-2, but your primary rgb buffer renders black, you will effectively have static sampling of 0-0 in all of your user frame buffers.

Wow, thanks for the info! So I guess you should try and put the most sample-intensive stuff into the primary buffer as well as whatever other custom buffer you want.

Puppet|
02-19-2005, 08:18 AM
to Chadrik:
"Export with Shading Engine" option have no effect to custom buffers.
I already have tried enable and disable it and nothing change in custom buffers.

caretz
02-20-2005, 09:55 AM
francesca la prossima volta che torno in italia vorrei conoscerti

tnx a lot for the effort I test the plug in and I have to say that is really cool and add to MR more likely the AOV for renderman witch is great
can t wait for the updates
grazie mille sei la migggliore dei miggliori

-a

wavesmack
02-25-2005, 12:58 AM
How do i make an amient occlusion pass using:

mib_amb_occlusion

i cant figure out mental ray shaders...

does anyone have a sample?

-c

slipknot66
02-25-2005, 01:45 AM
Well.. its simple... create a surface shader material, then connect the ambient occlusion to the out color of the surface shade material, then apply the surface shader material to your objects.. Thats it.... :)

westiemad
02-26-2005, 10:24 AM
when I download the zip file and extract it I get a maya6[1].0 file, what do I do this this?

AnDy

westiemad
02-26-2005, 10:46 AM
ok got that one sorted, corrupt download, pinched it from someone else :)

floze
02-26-2005, 12:46 PM
I wonder why people are having problems with this zip stuff. The file you downloaded is not corrupt. Its a zip file without .zip extension. Try to doubleclick it within your zipping program or extract it and add the extension manually.
It's a Zip in the zip! :thumbsup:

westiemad
02-26-2005, 12:48 PM
i tried it in winrar and it didn't work.

floze
02-26-2005, 01:06 PM
Get the latest version from http://www.rarlab.com/download.htm, unzip the first file, rename the unzipped file's extension to .zip, open it.

kmrsic
03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Well guys after hours of reading trying and what not I finally set to do a sequence with this approach and with nothing other then Ocean shader!
AND in my first tests works like a charm. Now I got some ticks Id like to correct and I'm in the process right now but Ill leave it render out through the night and let you all know how it went with my Ocean shader test.

kbrown
03-03-2005, 06:19 PM
I'll give puppets shader a try.

When I rendered out with Depth check on in the Output shdaer. I could not open the Depth image in Photoshop. I get an error, "Z depth.0.iff could not open file because of a problem with file format interface". Not sure what I did wrong Do I need to have an empty Buffer Store checked on to store that info from the Output shader or is it because it's and iff.Any way thank you very much for your help.

Dan

I believe that Z-buffer is written out as 16-bit image and afaik the iff plugin for photoshop doesn't support this format.

kbrown
03-03-2005, 07:09 PM
I've been playing with this for a while now and I must admit that this is definately a big step to better! Thanks for sharing this!

Anyhoo, I don't quite get the big picture here. Suppose you have a complex scene with say 20 shaders or so. Is it possible to output for example one reflection 'pass' which is combined from all of the 20 shaders or do I have to output 20 separate reflection buffers and combine them manually in post?

kmrsic
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Well I'm having problem with Maya Depth pass to. I cant seem to load it in to Fusion. Fcheck shows them fine but I cant load them in to Fusion or Combustion.
Now here is a funny thing. When z buffer is in the same file as my main image then I can load it but not when it is a separate file. Anyone knows how to convert them in to something useful?

kmrsic
03-04-2005, 10:12 AM
O and here are those ocean shader passes I tried. All done with framebuffers and in primary buffer there was a ship beauty pass. Now the only thing annoying is that names of output buffers are always user1. and it cost me a day of re-render. I didn't pay enough attention to it so I overwrite them by another render.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/oceanPasses.jpg

Ultrasonic
03-04-2005, 10:23 AM
Hey Kiki...

could you please turn your lights on? ;)

Daniel Whitton
03-05-2005, 06:07 PM
Well I'm having problem with Maya Depth pass to. I cant seem to load it in to Fusion. Fcheck shows them fine but I cant load them in to Fusion or Combustion.
Now here is a funny thing. When z buffer is in the same file as my main image then I can load it but not when it is a separate file. Anyone knows how to convert them in to something useful?

The only way I got it to work for me was opening it in imf_disp and saving it as a jpeg. Probably not the correct way though.

kmrsic
03-07-2005, 09:19 AM
itīs a night scene with only moon light : ) Here is a near finshed shot.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/Night14.jpg

Funky
03-07-2005, 09:22 AM
very nice picture, perhaps it need a little more light to discern all details.
Good job

Naim

joie
03-07-2005, 02:53 PM
Hi there;

I like this procedure but I need to realise how to do a shadow only pass, because you canīt control wich objects cast or not shadows via MR shaders, Donīt you?, a little tutorial like jozvex ones hehehe, please, how do you make the shadow only pass with this shader?

Thankīs in advance.

kmrsic
03-07-2005, 04:11 PM
Dont understand, Shadow only pass for Ocean shader or userbuffer shader?

I didnt find procedure to turn objects primary visabilty off through shader only setup but it can be done with this specific scene because of Ocean shader way of working. I can maybe show you how I did it with Ocean shader in my scene.

joie
03-07-2005, 04:20 PM
I was refering to the userBuffer procedure, but, hey, you did it in your scene also, so you could explain how you did it, how can you have some passes with materials and etc, and one with shadows casting in it and not in the others?

Thank you in advance.

anopheles
03-07-2005, 07:02 PM
could someone explain exacty how I can render out multiple images with this rendering
method, I have understand that u get the differnet images from one single file,

but I always fail when it comes to contect the right nodes in the hypergraph ...

I'm lost :D

kmrsic
03-08-2005, 03:03 PM
OK guys I took a little time and Ill try and little tutorial that outlines the process with FrameBuffer. First of Im not an expert but I tested it to some extent in last couple of days.
And Thank you goes to all you wonderfull people.

Ok here goes.

First off you crate your geometry and a light. In my case poly plane, poly sphere and spotlight with depth map shadow with 720 for resolution and some softnes.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen01.jpg

real nice : )
Now, after you installd your Buffer store mental shader you can find it under Mental Ray nodes (shaders) > Material Tab and select that nice colord buffer_store icon and drag it to your work area. This is like a combiner for your passes that will be output in render time.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen02.gif

You can see how it looks so far in the hypershade and atribute editor. Now for this thing to actualy work or better say output anything when you press render you need anoher node connected and its name is buffer_write. You need to drag and drop hem in you render camera mental ray tab Output shader. Heres an image.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen04.gif

There you can see all the "free" passes you can get without using bufer store as Alpha, Normal, Depth,....so its renderd as is.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen05.gif

Here you need to set to important things: where to store your frame buffers and what file format to use AND how many buffers to render. So, make sure that number matches the number of your frameBuffer passes. I set it to tif in my case and buffer range to 1 as Im only using one pass. In this example its shadowpass.

Now on to setting up the whats the render pass. In this scenario Im only going to do shadow pass as this one seems to confuse many. The idea can be done in to simple steps.
First you create Use Background Shader and set it up to only catch shadow by pullin all the sliders to 0. heres an image

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen10.gif

So, this one catches all the shadows and now I connect its OutMatteOpacity to OutColor of the new Surface shader that you need to create. This way you get Shadow that is stored as alpha to transfer to rgb image (in composite its luminance is your alpha).

And drag and drop that Surface shader node to your Buffer_store buffer1 texture tab and be sure to enable store.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen03.gif

In the image above you can see I got to shader chains so to explain the upper one its basicly dirt shader connected to surface shader Out Color and Im using it as a shader in the primary buffer (the one thats render on the screen). You can use it or not but someone mentiond that its a good idea to put something so you can set your sampling buy it need number. Basicaly when you press render in your render view thats the image its going to be renderd on screen and used for sampling. Now with shadow maps its actualy better to put them in primary buffer but then again its up to you to do some testing and see if its fine.

Assign your Buffer store shader to all the objects wanted in that pass.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen06.gif

Set your render globals. Use at leas 1 as min samples for shadow pass as it wont look good below one. And thats the number 1 drawback for using shdowpass in your framebuffer and not in you primary render buffer. Sampling! Takes to much. But Then again you need it for all the rest of the passes you make. So its render and figure type of situation.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen07.gif

PRESS RENDER ! ; )))

And go in to the folder you set your framebuffer write.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen08.gif

So There it is. I hope it helps little bit and I was not to confusiong. Forgive me for all typos and spelling mistakes as Im doing this on the fly while my boss is not looking : )))
Happy rendering.

Heres another image of setup I used to render Ocean shader passes.

http://www.vizije.hr/kiki/temp/screen09.gif

kmrsic
03-08-2005, 03:05 PM
Guys SORRY for all the spelling/typo mess <: )

joie
03-10-2005, 10:43 AM
I have a few questions for you;

First: Ok, you make your shadow pass, but how do you control in wich pass does Shadow appears?, I mean, if you do a Dirt pass itīs OK, no shadows because its a surface shader, then you do a shadow only pass and its OK, since that shader only computes that, but then you make a difuse pass, the shadow should appear there again, and you donīt want shadows in that pass, but you canīt control if a light cast shadows or not via shaders, Am I wrong?.

Second: This is OK if you use one object or several objects with the same colors and etc, but if you have more objects (wich is the case of most of us here), you have to have one Ctrl_Buffers_Store for any of the diferent shaders, and here comes my problem. Ctrl_buffers_Store seems to work as I spect it to do if there is only one of that nodes, but if I want more then no picture is written, what am I doing wrong?, could you please post a scene (like a floor with three balls each red, green and blue with one difusse color pass and another dirtmap pass or shadow) in order to see exactly what I do wrong?.

Please, explain a bit more, you donīt want to be like MR documentation, do you?

Thankīs in advance guys.

joie
03-11-2005, 10:08 AM
OK, Iīm using this shader in production right now and would want to ask something.

I really enjoy creating my own alpha masks through surface sahders avoiding this way all the problems with premultiplying and MR shaders related errors. So I donīt want ctrl_buffers to write alpha channels since Iīm writing another buffer with my own one, I tell MR not to write alpha, either in the camera atribute editor and the render globals, even set the buffer data to 3x8 bit images and still write alpha with my .tga images.

How can I avoid the fourth channel to be written?

Also, I want to make the dirtmap pass background white instead of black (wich is the main ones), how can I do this?, because I thought all the buffers used the primary camera environment color, but if I change it, the other bufferīs background appears black again, and I donīt know how to change that, Any ideas?

Thankīs in advance.

mouser100
03-13-2005, 08:30 AM
I've downloaded the example file "Buffer_Method_1.zip" (http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=65353)
from a post by Jozvex (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...91&page=6&pp=15).
I used Winrar, Winzip and Gzip (w2k system) to unzip but in all cases i get a binary file without extension ('Buffer_Method_1', 85,926 bytes). When I add the extension .mb, Maya 6.5 refuses to open the file (Unrecognized file type). I've tried to contact Jozvex about this but without success. Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks in advance for your help.

djx
03-13-2005, 09:50 AM
You need to uncompress twice. I mean after your first uncompress/extraction that file you get is not a maya binary. Rename it to Buffer_Method_1.gz, then uncompress that to get the file you need.

mouser100
03-13-2005, 05:55 PM
@djx: thanks for your help. all is fine now.

still don't understand what this double compression is good for.

floze
03-13-2005, 08:05 PM
@djx: thanks for your help. all is fine now.

still don't understand what this double compression is good for.
Just to throw in my 2 cents again:
I guess the cgtalk attachment system is causing this by rezipping uploaded zip files (via gzip). Maybe an admin might verify that?
It actually doesnt bother me, but some ppl seem to have serious problem with it.

Jozvex
03-13-2005, 09:23 PM
That's really weird! When I download my zip file it's just normal, I extract it and it's a Maya file.

I used Winzip 9.0 SR-1 to zip it.

neutronic
03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
ehy KIKI, thanks a lot for the tut.
as here the ppz are good just to ask and ask and ask and never to thks.

/n

kmrsic
03-14-2005, 01:11 PM
hey : ) No problemo.
I wish I could spare a lttle more time and do a video file but I cant see that happen in next few weeks.

joie
04-04-2005, 09:55 AM
Hi there;

I was wondering how to control the environment color in each buffer, because I need the Oclussion pass to be white and the alpha one to be black, Any ideas?

P.S.: I set the cameraīs environment color to white but only the primary buffer got it white, the others appeared black.

kapoue
04-04-2005, 10:04 AM
download don't work, it download a file "6533" with no extension. some one may give a link to download the fabulus work of francesca

fakiri
04-06-2005, 10:16 AM
amazing ! :eek:
thanks you so much francesca :thumbsup:

digones
04-07-2005, 07:13 AM
amazing Francesca!! :D

just a question: Are you from venus or mars? :love:

greetings from the south

meshman
04-08-2005, 10:23 AM
I was reading through the thread.. But i did not find any info if it exist a osx compile? Has anyone info regarding this subject?

Thanx
Peter A

Pony
04-14-2005, 02:46 AM
I would really apreceat it if some of you guru's could share some of your resent expirments and findings with this..

BTW thankyou for this really cool pair of shaders.

cstkto
04-16-2005, 04:07 AM
hi

has anyone got the framebuffer to work with the maya misss nodes I am trying to output the difrent layers in one pass but get this error

i can get the framebuffer to output but not if it has a misss node conected up i pluged the lightmap into both shading groups and individualy even thoe i thout that the one that came with the material not the framebuffer was not needed

has anyone came up with this problem aswell

Kev

francescaluce
04-17-2005, 06:13 PM
has anyone got the framebuffer to work with the maya misss nodes..
no problems here with misss.
simply leave the lightmap where it is,
and connect the miss_fast_* out to
any channel in the buffer_store.

I would really apreceat it if some of you could share some of your resent exp..
wait a bit we're just finishing a detailed
tut for the AliasUserCommunity.

/f

Tocy
04-21-2005, 06:12 PM
Hi Francesca!
Thanks for this great shader, as well as for the others!
My dumb question is, how do I create a specular pass? Or color or ambient pass? What shader should I use?
Thanks in advance!

Tocy

kjpayne
04-25-2005, 12:43 AM
Sorry about this post, but i have downloaded the file. Noe how dod i install it?? I am useing 6.5 and on a xp computer.

Thanks

kjpayne
04-25-2005, 12:48 AM
Are you suppose to change the extension from .5??

Thanks

MasonDoran
04-25-2005, 09:53 AM
for creating different kinds of passes just duplicate the shader and turn off (either to black or 0) the different attributes u dont want. Recommended workflow is to create the shader how you want......and do test renders and tweak to liking.

then you have to break the shader up in to its different components by duplicating the shader into different passes that you will turn off the opposing attributes u dont want. Make sure you leave the bump maps attached as this will be needed for the diffuse and the spec pass

ie: diffuse: ambient to black. color to white....all specular/translusence/reflections to black

color: use a surface shader with the texture map

spec: color to black, diffuse to black...ambient to black and leave your spec/reflection the way you want

....when you composite you can actually get a perfect 1:1 with layers at 100 when using photoshop

its also possible to create a diffuse and spec passes just with the lights

zhenyang
04-25-2005, 03:33 PM
Hello, I just downloaded ctrl_buffers and installed it for Maya 6.5. I get this "end declare" message now in my Output Window whenever I start Maya.

mental ray: got 8 satellite CPUs.
mental ray for Maya 6.5
mental ray: version 3.4.1.5, 27 Dec 2004
end declare

Is it a problem? or have I wrongly installed the shader? The shader works fine and outputs buffers correctly though.

... zhenyang

MasonDoran
04-25-2005, 03:59 PM
that is just telling you that u have a liscence for a maximum of 8 computers for a renderfarm

kjpayne
04-25-2005, 05:51 PM
Could someone please tell me how and what needs to be done to install the shader after it is downloaded? Where do you install it in maya 6.5?

zhenyang
04-25-2005, 06:39 PM
that is just telling you that u have a liscence for a maximum of 8 computers for a renderfarm

I meant the "end declare" statement, not the "mental ray:" messages. There wasn't an "end declare" statement before I install ctrl_buffers

... zhenyang

Pony
04-26-2005, 01:48 AM
is this the first shader you have installed for MR ? I think you get the end declares when you acualy add any other than the defalt stuff.

zhenyang
04-26-2005, 06:39 AM
I have other shaders like ctrl_irradience, mix8layer, bumpCombiner and l_glass installed. I only got this "end declare" thing after I added in ctrl_buffers.

Anyway, it is not affecting my work, ctrl_buffers works like a charm, it is just weird to see the "end declare" thing everytime I start Maya and when I do a batch render.

Thanks

...zhenyang

Puppet|
04-26-2005, 08:32 AM
"end declare"
It's maya's bug.
Try to add another shader declaration to mi file and this message may disappear.

Powell
05-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Francesca.

In earlier posts, you mentioned that you were working on implementing this shader with the OpenExr file format. Have you gotten any further on this? Is it still going to happen?

...waiting patiently....

francescaluce
05-22-2005, 08:30 PM
...waiting patiently....
well for the moment I cannot get a usual
way to be applied to openEXR format so
I'm also waiting with you for an illumination.

in the while we got the mix8layer to support
framebuffer storing. you'll get with a click
all your layers stored into the respective
fbs. this means that any shading network
that has the mix8layer as last node before
SG can be instantly converted into a buffer
store node. usually you'll work out your beauty
pass then enable each layer to be stored into
its fb and you'll get, after using also buffer_write,
all the same layers saved to files. it support also
the isolate mode where you could put any shader
to be stored while preserving the general output
of the mixer, that layer will not be appended to
the output but only writed to the framebuffer.
it should be also a tad faster coz I cached some
static parameters and lgihted some other
functions.

when in the first we released this pack we got
some guys from theMill stating that this approach
is not the most correct one. that's true.
for best performances each shader should have
direct access to the framebuffers because if not
you'll have to duplicate probably your shaders or
even shader network to store in the fb what you
really need to complete in post your beauty pass.
this means that a monolithic approach should be
preferred to usual phenomenon approach for
what regards framebuffers outputting, in this
manner you'll preserve also your sampling patterns.
a monolithic shader is just a shader that implements
all what it can from with in the same function.
the ctrl_shading in this sense just allows you to
extract the classic diffuse, specular and reflection
passes to be stored in framebuffers without the
need to use other nodes. it is an utility made
also to be a pure reflection node, infact by
disabling diffuse and specular you'll get a really
fast glossy reflection shader to be used in any
phen (it is only for maya65 because it uses the
new glossy reflection fncs that come with mr34).

here also and finally an output image of the scene
we've prepared to be included in an upcoming
tutorial about framebuffering in a globalillumination
environment with the above shaders.

http://img72.echo.cx/img72/1315/turquoise029render012ss.jpg

ciao
francesca

dagon1978
05-22-2005, 08:45 PM
thanx francesca! :thumbsup:
this is another great shader!

ciau

mat

zkanal
05-22-2005, 09:51 PM
Totally cool, as usual :)
On a sidenote, have you stopped working on the simbiontMR? Because I'm soo looking forward to a newer version of it..
Thanks once more Francesca, you are doing the community these amazing favours.

Powell
05-22-2005, 10:46 PM
francesca.

Thanks you for the reply. I guess we will both have to wait for the OpenEXR support. :shrug:

Im currently working on implementing the ctrl.buffers shader into a character rendering pipeline. So far, ive gotten some great results using the buffers on other projects, but this particular character has 6 seperate spec and reflection buffers that im tryign to write out + the beauty pass. The problems come in with the sampling of the image, since the sampling is based soley on the base buffer, the follwing spec and reflection buffers just dont get enough sampling where they need it. Ive come up with a bit of a work around by using a mix8layer to combine all the buffer shaders into one visible layer and plug that into the base of the ctrl.buffers....this way at least all the spec and reflection buffers get *some sampling.

My question to you francesca, Is there anyway to force mentalray to sample individaul buffers? Obviosly this would take up the rendering time, but for some spec and reflection buffers it is absoluelty necessary.

francescaluce
05-22-2005, 11:22 PM
powell, taking for granting that your is not an interpolation problem,
should not be in any way a sample problem but instead a filtering
one. this trend to use framebuffers as arbitrary outputs should
be supported more by mentalimages.. the user framebuffers
or better any other buffer than primary rgba has applied
only a basic box1,1 filter. so sometimes where you have not
heavy contrasts or minimal details it works quite well sometimes
you have to resort to queer solutions (and.. I have one of this
but need time to test it; maybe next free weekend).

ciao
francesca

shine77
05-23-2005, 10:29 AM
Is anyone able to use the ctrl_shading?

Maya just quits rendering and terminates for me.

MEM 0.5 error: --# FV EIP----- RetAddr- FramePtr StackPtr Symbol
MEM 0.5 error: 0 .V 11caa2dd 00000001 1c90f7dc 00000000 mi_db_summary+2413 bytes
MEM 0.5 error: Sig: mi_db_summary
MEM 0.5 error: Decl: mi_db_summary
MEM 0.5 error: Mod: Mayatomr[C:\Program Files\Alias\Maya6.5\bin\plug-ins\Mayatomr.mll], base: 11af0000h
MEM 0.5 error: Sym: type: -exported-, file:
MEM 0.5 error:

Giving me this

francescaluce
05-23-2005, 03:13 PM
you need to use a passthrough to use the ctrl_shading,
as you can read in the instructions.. it's that it supplies a
struct output instead of a single output and maya does
not support directly.. as for any other mat, also the build
in, if you plug a multi output material maya crashes.
use a mix8layer for example and plug the compound output
to the base layer and then plug the mixer to the SGnode.

/f

neutronic
05-23-2005, 04:37 PM
great picture !! it will be included on the
tutorial ??! :eek: what, where, when ? :scream:

neo

shine77
05-23-2005, 04:59 PM
you need to use a passthrough to use the ctrl_shading,
as you can read in the instructions.. it's that it supplies a
struct output instead of a single output and maya does
not support directly.. as for any other mat, also the build
in, if you plug a multi output material maya crashes.
use a mix8layer for example and plug the compound output
to the base layer and then plug the mixer to the SGnode.

/f

thanx my bad

Joojaa
05-25-2005, 07:02 PM
My question to you francesca, Is there anyway to force mentalray to sample individaul buffers? Obviosly this would take up the rendering time, but for some spec and reflection buffers it is absoluelty necessary.

Well there is one way i could think of! Thing is that mantalray takes a number of samples since it only samples things based on ONE of the layers you get into problems.

The thing is if yoiu were to sample all buffers separately it ewwould get slow becausethe buffers are aside product of computation. Indeed originaly the dea was to enable one shader to exit many things, many times the way you do this theres a bit of redundant calc for shaeding parts but okay its a slight iexpense with using prepackaged shader.

NOW there is a solution for this. And that is to render out a composite of all the buffers in the main one. not only will it then be able to sample with all the different passes demand but ALSO you get a nice preview of what it might look like. Now there something about this that makes it not so usefull contrast may be off so you may need to make the sampling tresholds lower. OR no prob make the composite buffer floating point and add the different parts togehter (you may slightly want to knock down walues of unimortant buffers), now it will look wonky but alteast the contrast will get to desired spots then rely on normal aaing settings. It wil slighty over sample each image offcourse because each buffer may have different spots to sample but its helofalot chgeaper than oversampling the whole damn thing at 3 3

meshman
05-25-2005, 08:53 PM
is there a osx compile of the ctrl shader?

Powell
05-25-2005, 10:48 PM
Joojaa.

Thats the exact process that I have been using to get sampling on the buffers...However its still isnt perfect... It does work for most situations, but when you have a med-close cg character on a film res render, the lower quality of the sampling becomes very noticable in the high contrast areas. (ie...buzzing)

Joojaa
05-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Yes well you need to allways work on unclipped buffer prefeerably for the sum up metric or you get this behaivour se if your output is anything other than float then you might end with too sublte changes and clipping clipping does affect the way mr samples if it overclips mr will cosider it full for purpose of sampling. But it all realy has to do with how your semple treshold is set.one way of ensuring the thing gets where it shiould be is to up the cntrast of teh layers that chunk baldy before you send them to summing (amnd yes summing does give better results in general than avaraging).

ALso you might try to use another trick, instead of plunging them all on 1 channel try avaraing the colors of 1 or 2 laters to each channels especialy if you can regionaly isolate the areas. Thisway you can plug in different independent aa areas to different channels wich makes it slightly easier to tweak separate layers (se you now get 4 different channels to tweak).

Also if there realy is so much variation there is not realy any other way than to sample more. Also offcourse adjusting the filters to saner softnesses is smrt and reconmendable.

theres a fine line of getting all in one pass or rendering two sparate passes for faster aaing. Both are equualy easy to manage in the end.

zhenyang
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
Hi, I have been trying to use ctrl_buffer to render my assignment but I can't get this to work... I have 3 render layers with 1 object in each of the layers and I would like to render them out as 3 separate files, can I use ctrl_buffer to do that? Do I use multiple buffer_write? but a camera only can connect to one output shader. Maya's render pass renders 3 separate times for the 3 render layers, so I would really love to use ctrl_buffer to do it.

Thanks

...zhenyang

francescaluce
06-09-2005, 02:03 PM
here the solution for the filtering problem.

just enable the 'coverage' buffer under the mentalray output shader
of the camera scene.

the user buffer will be filtered according to the filter params as the
primary buffer.

to test do this.

take a sphere. set aa -1,0 and contrast 0.2, box11
apply a mix8layer 1.2 as material (and eventually buffer_write
to the camera output ). plug to the base
channel and the first channel the same material, like a
lambert. render, you'll see jagged edges.. on both the imgs
saved. now switch to gauss.. and set it to 10,10 to see
better the filter effect. you'll get the primary buffer img
filtered and very blurred but not.. the user1 fb that still
relies to a box11. now the tip.. enable the 'coverage' buffer
under mr camera and rerender.
you'll get the userbuffers filtered.

all thanks go to masterzap for the trick. :love:

ciao
francesca

credmond
06-15-2005, 12:51 AM
nice shader francescaluce. Thanks for giving such a nice shader to the community

I wonder if I could make a feature request. It would be nice if we could control the names of the files that the frame buffer generates and also it would be nice if we could set the frame padding. That way we could control the names of the frames the shader generates.

Again, very nice shader, and thanks from the community

credmond

michaelBossuyt
06-15-2005, 12:35 PM
Hi francesca,

I'm having some problems using the blurred reflection feature of the ctrl_shader.
All other passes work very well but as soon as I activate the reflect shiny attribute I loose all reflections. So far I'm unable to get the blurred reflections working.

Thanks for any info you might be able to provide and thanks for all your hard work on render buffers.

Michael.

francescaluce
06-16-2005, 02:15 AM
hi. some little updates.

.patterns + padding for filenames
.type and interpolate parameters for user.fbs
.coverage (trick) support

( .about the patterns just take care the name
for your user buffer added to the filename
is it the one you type in the buffer_write and
never the one in the buffer_store that acts
only as a visual hint
.when you update the type or interpolate
parameters for your userframebuffers.. please
stay with me and slide also the enabled.range
to get the whole updated. I have a stupid
problem letting mel call a procedure from
another one invoked by the -callcustom
method attached to the parameter... the call
happens only once when the node is opened.
I refuse to spend time on mel
.as I updated the buffer_write to be able to
write out also the coverage channel.. using the
zap trick to get filtering on secondary buffers
will write out maybe an unnecessary img.. so
if you wanna full enable that channel go to
extraattributes and decheck dontcover )

ciao
francesca

bjoern
06-20-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi francescaluce

I've got an feature request, not only for the Mix8layer.
Maybe more are generell request for customshader.
__

It would be nice to change the default green color (OpenGL)
that every Customshader gets.

Because a scene that has only customshader or maybe most.
It is very helpfull to have that feedback "what customshader is on
what object" :-)

For Example ( Mix8layer)
That gets an Slider at the Top where you can define
the Color of this specific Mix8layer.
Yeah, a global plugin that can play with every customshader is better :-))

MasonDoran
06-20-2005, 11:00 AM
__

It would be nice to change the default green color (OpenGL)
that every Customshader gets.

This can already be done...just assign a Maya Shader to the object...and then attach the mental Ray shader in the shading group node.....

so if u render in Maya...u get the maya shader....and if u render in Mental Ray...you get the Mental Ray shader.

this is such a simple thing that i dont know if it is worth Francescaluce's valuable time when she has already expressed her dislike for Mel and has several other more valuable shaders in development that she is giving us

Pixero
06-20-2005, 11:17 AM
What would be great is a preview of the MR shaders with almost instant update.
Something like IPR in Hypershade.
This works in Max so I guess it can be done. Probably needs a Maya plugin though. :shrug:

silent_
06-22-2005, 10:20 PM
Quote:
has anyone got the framebuffer to work with the maya misss nodes..

no problems here with misss.
simply leave the lightmap where it is,
and connect the miss_fast_* out to
any channel in the buffer_store.

is it possible to have a misss_fast_skin_maya node and a misss_fast_lmap_maya node for it and get a buffer for sss only ? how a rendertree for this job will look like ?

francescaluce
06-23-2005, 12:29 AM
silent, the lmap has to remain where it is.
don't care about that, and just plug the
output of the fast_skin to a buffer_store
channel. that's it. if you use the other
method instead of a single phenomenon
you could also output the variuos layer
of the sss and save them to different
images.

ciao
francesca

silent_
06-23-2005, 10:06 AM
normally , the output of misss_fast_lmap node goes to the shading engine, but with the addition of the buffer store, renders black.
now the lmap output has to be connected somewhere else. but where ?

silent_
06-23-2005, 10:07 AM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/silent/Desktop/misssrtree.jpg
normally , the output of misss_fast_lmap node goes to the shading engine, but with the addition of the buffer store, renders black.

floze
06-23-2005, 10:23 AM
file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/silent/Desktop/misssrtree.jpg
Try plugging the lmap shader into the shading group your buffer_store shader is connected to.

silent_
06-23-2005, 10:32 AM
exactly what u suggested. black.

izrut
06-28-2005, 03:47 PM
can anybody give some tips to max users how to deal with ctrl_bufer shader pls :(

PHEN 0.2 progr: calling output shaders
PHEN 0.2 info : ctrl.buffers ----------------------------------
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (13)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (17)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (18)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (19)

floze
06-29-2005, 12:31 AM
Is there a naming bug in your buffer write, Francesca? All our files at position 10, 100 etc. got named with incorrect padding. The frame padding was 4, but 10 came out as .10., 100 came out as .00100.

Also, the dot prefix is preventing users to rename the file manually within the explorer in ms windows.

Except that, it's working like a charm though. One thing that would come handy is an opacity color for the primary buffer, so we dont have to pass it through a surface shader. Keep up the great work! :)

PS: And I cant wait for the ctrl_buffer in GI environment tut you mentioned!

edit: Wait a sec.. I guess I just realized that I should fill in the user prefix into the filepath string, and the buffer name is appended to that with a dot prefix (so actually its a suffix..). Ugh.

Lorecanth
06-29-2005, 07:56 AM
This shader and how its integrated into my pipeline has proven a rather large timesaver...I'm talking weeks. So again thanks.

http://www.cgtalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=74455&stc=1

westiemad
06-29-2005, 11:37 AM
hi guys, do you think you could turn that tutorial on its use into a pdf format for easier viewing offline?

AnDy

francescaluce
06-29-2005, 03:34 PM
can anybody give some tips to max users how to deal with ctrl_bufer shader pls :(

post the full verbose from mentalray,
and what version of the famigerate 3dsmax are you using ?

ciao
max

daniel77
06-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Hi!

I am also having a trouble. It works fine when I render in original scene but when I reference it into a new one I get...

Does anyone know why this happen? I am in the middle of production and I would like to solve this. ANY ideas?

/D

daniel77
06-29-2005, 04:39 PM
Found out that if I create a new camera and buffer write in the ref scene the problem disappears. Aparently I get the problem when I use a referenced camera and buffer write. Anyone got a clue?

poly-phobic
06-29-2005, 04:52 PM
so this shader renders multiple passes all in one shot?

im not sure what it does exactly,

im not much on the rendering side of things.

i see in the first post a spec pass and what looks like an ambient occ pass

so if i get this straight it renders them all in one render pass and u can store them?

MasonDoran
07-01-2005, 12:35 PM
yes....it uses Mental Ray framebuffers to do this. Ctrl Buffer behaves similar to a layered shader where it will render out each shader as a seperate image so you can composite.

You will have to create all of the individual shaders you want...ie diffuse shader, specular shader, reflection shader....and then attach to the ctrl buffer shader. read this forum on how to use it...

deri
07-03-2005, 12:16 AM
Hi Folks - trying to get my head round this, but keep getting the following on the buffer write node:

// Error: No object matches name: buffer_write1.pathpattern //

// Error: No object matches name: buffer_write1.interpbuffer //

// Error: No object matches name: buffer_write1.typebuffer //

// Error: No object matches name: buffer_write1.interpbuffer //

Using Maya 6 / MR 3.3 /CTRL buffers V1.1 - any explanations / ideas on how to correct gratefully received.
Thanks
Deri

francescaluce
07-03-2005, 02:58 AM
it seems you're simply using the mel templates from the 1.3
with the 1.1. I'm not updaing anymore the maya6.0 release
that will remain the 1.1; any updates on ctrl_buffers are only
for maya6.5 and up.

ciao
francesca

floze
07-03-2005, 04:06 AM
I noted a little glitch when sliding the buffer_write's enabled range. Sometimes it doesnt update the miDefaultOptions, if you slided too fast for example. Wouldnt it be better to simply put the enabled/disabled and the mode/type options into a checkbox instead of a slider? That's no crit, since it actually works as it is right now. Just a suggestion for improvement.

PS: To be honest, I'm trying to write my own AE template for the ctrl_buffers right now (actually I'm just modifiying yours, Francesca). Dont know if it would be helpful for anyone else, since it's part of an attempt to a monolithic phenomenon, containing seven different outputs including diffuse, specular, scatter, occlusion, bent normals, depth and 2d motion vector framebuffers plus the primary buffer, and all piped through a ctrl_irradiance to have full control on a per shader basis.

francescaluce
07-03-2005, 04:45 AM
if you go in the outliner and decheck DAGsObjectOnly,
you'll be able to find for example in the 'production'
node the framebuffers templare as you are asking for.
you'll need also to remove the code checking from
the ctrl_buffer_write mel template.

about the 'monolithic phenomenon',- it's just a contradiction
in terms; a phenomenon is not monolithic. think about for
example a diffuse and specular component included in a phen,
they will both call separately a light loop; with a monolithic
shader that call will happen only one time instead. the same
for example for the irradiance, -if the diffuse is a complete
material will have also an irradiance calculation, if you're
using the ctrl_irradiance as root of your phen you'll have
multiple, unnecessary calls to the same function (that's why
for example the ctrl_shading allows you to decheck the
irradiance calculation while using a separate shader to do
that). so do what you want but what are you trying to do
except for the workflow that will have some speedups having
the whole from the same interface, should be done, if you
wanna use the term monolithic, all from the same function
shader, 'hard-coded'. but ehy, this just to be picky ! I
will be the first to try your phen when ready; and thanks
for the hard testing.

ciao
francesca

floze
07-03-2005, 05:11 AM
Yes, gotcha. Yesterday, when I was thinking about posting this here, I really intended to use the term 'pseudo-monolithic', which is more suitable though somehow it's some sort of an oxymoron - because it either is monolithic or not. Dont know why I ended up with monolithic today..
Let's call it a pseudo-monolithic phenomenon.

daniel77
07-03-2005, 02:08 PM
francescaluce. Do you know why this occour?

PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (18)
PHEN 0.2 error 051001: cannot map frame buffer: invalid fb index (19)

Happens to me know and then. Donīt know why?

deri
07-03-2005, 02:31 PM
it seems you're simply using the mel templates from the 1.3
with the 1.1.

Thanks again - serves me right for trying to do things late at night and having drunk wine! I thought I'd managed to delete all the V1.3 stuff, but evidently not - working fine now....

daniel77
07-04-2005, 03:33 PM
I read before

NOW there is a solution for this. And that is to render out a composite of all the buffers in the main one.

I donīt understand.... can you please explain.

MasonDoran
07-05-2005, 10:25 AM
the composited shader is simple the FINISHED shader with all texture maps, bumps, and specular....this should go into the BASE so that mental ray will do the correct sampling.

You then split this shader up into seperate shaders for the various passes. ie duplicate shader network.....make color ambient and diffuse black.....so that only specular will render. then duplicate the base shader again....and set only specular and reflective to black to get your diffuse/color pass

floze
07-07-2005, 08:45 AM
It's a phenomenon that combines the following shaders:

ctrl_shading (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2314599&postcount=158)
misss_fast_shader
mib_amb_occlusion (occlusion mode)
mib_amb_occlusion (bent normals mode)
zDepthDOF (http://homepage.mac.com/bauer/portfolio_shaders/zDepthDOF/zDepthDOF.html#Download) (1.5 implemented, will change to 1.6)
lm_2DMV (http://www.alamaison.fr/3d/lm_2DMV/lm_2DMV.htm)
buffer_write (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2385541&postcount=175)
mix8layer 1.2 (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2314599&postcount=158)
ctrl_irradiance (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=1586995&postcount=1)

I invite you to test it, be warned that it's not finished though. Reflection is not working yet, will implement fresnel reflection using ctrl_fresnel first, and the zDepthDOF shader may not work if you're using the new 1.6 version of it.

All shaders are put into separate framebuffers with the ability to contribute to the primary buffer with a given opacity and blending mode (not every layer yet). The output names are 'hardscripted', so they will be 'diffuse', 'specular', 'scatter', etc.; will change this in an update.

You dont need to specify a buffer_write shader to your camera, the phenomenon calls the shader itself via a phenomenon output root call - so it's all in one. Maybe Francesca might consider this in future as well.

Once again, it's a beta. Dont expect too much. I have many ideas (and necessities) to improve it. However, if you have an idea, feel free to grab the code (it's all just scripted), alter it, improve it, do whatever you want with it, and re-post it here. Scripting phenomenons is fun, trust me. And it's easy to grab one piece of script, grab the outputs, and plug it into the other. So if you want to contribute, do it!

I hope nobody will feel pissed because I took their AE scritps, altered them a bit, and rearranged them. All credits go to the scripts owners, which are the ones linked above - I dont deserve any credit, since I actually didnt add a single line (well, a few ones maybe..).

e'lan
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
No doubt this is a wonderful shader. i installed it - luckily no errors, i rendered with different passes also - luckily without much trouble ( occlusion pass using dirt map, reflection pass using phong, shadow pass using use BG and surface shader(wonderful) and 1 primary pass with lambert ). Everything worked fine, my doubt here is if i want to assign different shaders for different objects, what should i do? in these example files all the objects had single shader, it's ok for occlusion pass but what about color, bump etc..

If we've 10 objects with 10 different material properties how do i compose it into 1 buffer_store shader?
Another doubt is, how can i render a color image without shadows(i cannot switch of the shadow in light becoz my shadow layer will get affected)?

Thanks for this wonderful shader and for even the other informative posts........ :applause:

dagon1978
07-10-2005, 04:41 AM
wowwww!! great work floze!! :thumbsup:
i like your phenomenon, now i'm making some test
keep up the good work! ;)

ciau

mat

dagon1978
07-10-2005, 06:02 PM
i've a problem with the monolith (but i think is a ctrl_irradiance problem)
it seems that the fg override (rays/radius) disable the fg falloff too

how can i use the override with the falloff?

thanx ;)

mat

francescaluce
07-10-2005, 11:39 PM
guys. please. keep-it-simple.

ciao
francesca

daniel77
07-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Hey!

There is a numbering bug in ctrl_buffers. You have an extra zero on fram 100. Check out the image and you will see what I mean.

fr3drik
07-15-2005, 11:07 AM
Francesca,

Would it be possible for you (or anyone of us) to compile this for Linux and OS X?

BillSpradlin
07-21-2005, 08:19 AM
Linux versions of the ctrl_buffers 1.3 and ctrl_shading are definitely in need. I'd be more than happy to compile them, just let me know.

cryolab
07-21-2005, 05:54 PM
yeah that would be great!!!

Steve McRae
07-21-2005, 06:06 PM
francescaluce,

any word on the alias tutorial?

cheers

vzap
07-22-2005, 11:20 PM
Hi all,

First of all, thanks Francesca for your great work. It is invaluable to the community... I spent the last few days browsing this thread for info, and have adopted ctrl_buffers as my multi pass solution. Though it's different from what I'm used to, being a renderman solution with render globals controlling various output passes, globally. This had the advantage of not needing any shader assignment, and delivering both beauty and global passes (ie: Z, motion vector etc...) in one go. But Francesca's solution is also elegant and simple, I'll just need to find a way to streamline it in order to distribute it to the CG team here.

The one thing we badly need now is a Linux compilation!!! I'm sure I'm not alone here. I'll check if anyone can do it here, but I'm not sure... I'll let you people know if we come up with anything... 1.3 source code available? Or better, has anyone linux compiled it yet?

Last of all, I'd like to point out something, maybe it's nothing new to you all, but worth a try. I found my secondary buffer outputs (the 8 available) were not sampled properly (no anti-aliasing). I then realized the contrast detection for oversampling distribution was done on the primary output, which by default is pure black! Hence no oversampling whatsoever (ie: with sampling set to 0 and 2, only 0 would be applied). The solution I found was to plug something, preferably one of my passes, into the Primarybuffer plug of the buffer_store shader, forcing contrast detection and oversampling. THe best thing to do is to plug your most detailed pass (maybe occlusion) in the primary buffer, freeing a secondary slot for another pass possibly. Do not use a visually sparse pass here, like specular or shadows, as this wouldn't cover all of your geometry and hence wouldn't provide proper oversampling to all other global passes. This way you can render 9 passes at once. With proper sampling and filtering... Hope this helped a little...

now LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX??!! So I can use our render farm..... Cheers all,

Vania

BillSpradlin
07-25-2005, 08:03 PM
Any word fran?

Lorecanth
07-29-2005, 11:44 PM
Hi all,

First of all, thanks Francesca for your great work. It is invaluable to the community... I spent the last few days browsing this thread for info, and have adopted ctrl_buffers as my multi pass solution. Though it's different from what I'm used to, being a renderman solution with render globals controlling various output passes, globally. This had the advantage of not needing any shader assignment, and delivering both beauty and global passes (ie: Z, motion vector etc...) in one go. But Francesca's solution is also elegant and simple, I'll just need to find a way to streamline it in order to distribute it to the CG team here.

The one thing we badly need now is a Linux compilation!!! I'm sure I'm not alone here. I'll check if anyone can do it here, but I'm not sure... I'll let you people know if we come up with anything... 1.3 source code available? Or better, has anyone linux compiled it yet?

Last of all, I'd like to point out something, maybe it's nothing new to you all, but worth a try. I found my secondary buffer outputs (the 8 available) were not sampled properly (no anti-aliasing). I then realized the contrast detection for oversampling distribution was done on the primary output, which by default is pure black! Hence no oversampling whatsoever (ie: with sampling set to 0 and 2, only 0 would be applied). The solution I found was to plug something, preferably one of my passes, into the Primarybuffer plug of the buffer_store shader, forcing contrast detection and oversampling. THe best thing to do is to plug your most detailed pass (maybe occlusion) in the primary buffer, freeing a secondary slot for another pass possibly. Do not use a visually sparse pass here, like specular or shadows, as this wouldn't cover all of your geometry and hence wouldn't provide proper oversampling to all other global passes. This way you can render 9 passes at once. With proper sampling and filtering... Hope this helped a little...

now LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX LINUX??!! So I can use our render farm..... Cheers all,

Vania

If you go through the thread this was already answered...a mix 8 layer with all the layers plugged in in the suspected composting operations... Not only will you get decent sampling, you'll also get a preview of the comped final.

vzap
07-29-2005, 11:58 PM
Mmmm... no. I probably didn't make myself clear.... I did go through the thread, and read about the mix8layer. I installed it and tested it. It's cool for a photoshop approach of layering shaders, but does not help with my global multi pass solution I mentioned (the way I worked with renderman at mpc). As for sampling, it has nothing to do with it, though it may offer a way of getting decent sampling. However I do not want to make my scenes uselessly complex with mix8layers all over just to get sub-sampling, and my solution works just fine with no extra nodes, and even frees up a slot in your ctrl_buffer shader...

Mix8layer enables to separate the various shading components of your final render, as well as composite them together. This is cool, but is not what I'm trying to achieve. What I want to do right now is output a beauty pass and alongside various non shading passes (like motion vector, normal, anti-aliased Z etc...) WITHOUT reassigning shaders, all in one go. In the renderman solution at MPC you would just create a normal beauty pass render, and just tick options in the render globals for secondary outputs, simple as that. But since this is not the approach taken by Francesca, this might be just off topic here.

Now, for something very much IN topic I'm sure for a lot of people... a LINUX compilation of ctrl_buffer? So we can make real use of it on our renderfarms??? Pleeeeease!?

francescaluce
07-30-2005, 01:50 AM
I also did not understand what the guys above are doing
with the mix8layer. just take care that the version 1.2
allows also simple buffer storing, so can be used instead
of the buffer_store; and you can use it as a 'previewer'
to get instantly a beauty pass maybe in renderregion
mode, then just by enabling 'onlyframebuffers' you'll
get it transformed in a buffer_store node, no layer
compositing or whatever will be considered. linux is
coming.

ciao
francesca

magsnus
07-30-2005, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all your work Fran.

Also waiting for the linux port ;)

Ødb
07-30-2005, 11:46 PM
Hi,

I'm really sorry to spam this great thread. But is there any new about the tutorial you "planned". My Knowledge withh Maya Mr i too ridiculos, I would love somebody explain from A2Z. If there is any samaritan here. please : H.E.L.P

I fill stupid....

PS : I followed tuts from this thread but I still lost....

MrElmo
08-05-2005, 08:47 PM
is this ctrl buffers tool similar with the new render pass composite tool in maya 7? just to eliminate confusion

francescaluce
08-06-2005, 06:48 PM
is this ctrl buffers tool similar with the new render pass composite tool in maya 7?
well I have not tried yet the render passes system in maya.
it should not be confused with framebuffering. framebuffers
are a mentalray thing. render passes are a maya thing. where
with the first we actively build-up a net in the hypershade
with the second we passively adjust an existing scene to
output different things based on an overwrite mechanism.
if someone, the artists, generally prefer a maya way to act
on their scene becuase the feedback is immediate acting over
a centralized place (the render passes management system),
the others, the tds and scene or shading lighting setuppers will
prefer frambuffering probaly because the way it is implemented
it is costitutive to the scene and allow them to build-up the scene
as they want giving or leaving them with the freedom to leave
the various aspect of the scene interacting with each other.
basically with a framebuffer setup all you need is in the hypershade,
with a render passes system what you need is scattered all over
the scene generally as object and their properties.
if I have just two sphere one reflecting each other and I wanna
two separate images to be composed later, with render passes
I will include a sphere in a pass and I wll modify the object properties
of the other sphere to be seen in reflections while not as primary
visibility; with framebuffer I willi build-up each sphere shading net
in a manner where each one will tell mentalray directly what to do.
in a production environment framebuffering must be preferred over
any other method probably and for the simple reason that it requires
only once time the scene to be rendered, while render passes need
actually n times the scene to be re-rendered. that said I always
start my scene based on passes to prototype the environment,
to test different illuminations and shading sets, to get instant occ
passes or to get on the fly a toon ink contour, but when I have
things clear in mind I build-up another final pass that include
framebuffers and I use that one to get all the images I need;
infact framebuffers can be used also in any pass. we could
have n passes outputting multiple images, in a situation
where for example we have to deal with high detailed poly
objects we could separate them in passes to get rendered in
separate sessions just because all of them don't fit in memory
and then on each object/pass use framebuffers to output
multiple images for the different properties the object will show.

back to framebuffers taking a first look at maya7.0.. it extends a
bit the framebuffer workflow but introduces also some inconsistencies.

take in mind that with mentalray there're two ways to output
additional images. one is build-in and one related to output shaders.

the one (partially)included in maya is the build-in mechanism
to write out images from framebuffers in mentalray.
you need to add an fb entry in the options list and then refer
to that entry in the output camera to get wrote out the imgs.
to do this in maya we enable the user framebuffers into the
rendersettings and then go to the camera into the new output
passes section.

bad things.
-----------
1.the userframebuffer in the rendersettings is OFF. it means
that it does not work. you can select what you want but
it does nothing, nor for the mi export. but it is there, so take care.

2.to get a place to list the fbs entries you have to type this code
in the script panel: 'select miDefaultOptions'. then go to framebuffer
and there you'll find the section that effectively works. take care
that if you type the above code before open the rendersettings window,
it returns errors becuase the node is still not created. so open the
rendersettings then type the code.
once you're in the framebuffer section you can add a list of framebuffer.
too bad you cannot map or renumb the framebuffers enabled, the first in
the list is always the framebuffer0 (to say nothing that is reserved).

3.once you enabled your fbs. you decide simply to render them out
into separate imgs. ok infact alias introduced in maya7.0 a way to use
the camera statements to write out imgs as allowed by mentalray..
but that damn genius forgot to supply also a method to specify what
I will put into that images! so actually on maya7 all the time you
click the button under output passes.. you'll get always the same image,
the rgba image you see also in the renderview, repeated n times. you can
maybe output a normal, coverage and so on images but anything about
user framebuffers.

4.once you say, - no problem I have my own way!.. you'll find that also
your way is a bit compromised. in maya7 any output shader plugged
into the output slot will prevent the renderview to display the rendered
image, you'll get it saved on disk but not displayed in the renderview.
to get it also in the render view you'll have to switch to an output pass,
as called in maya, and attach there your output shader. to add other
standard mr buffers, as the check boxes for them are now dimmed in the
main mr output section not using the direct output shader slot, you have to
add another output statement (output pass) and select the pertinent
kind of data in the datatype. so if you wanna use our buffer_write plus
also ie the build-in coverage buffer the workflow will appear as this..

http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7736/m7fbs3hp.th.gif (http://img292.imageshack.us/my.php?image=m7fbs3hp.gif)

5. when linking geometry shaders to dummy poly object in maya7.0
it is introduced the wonderful feature where clicking on the button
to open the createRenderNode window and linking on the fly a geo
shader it is returned an error, -drag and drop the geoshader from the
hypershade to the button or hardtype its name once you created it
in the hypershade instead.

all the above means two things.
the first, is that the alias implementation of build-in mr mechanism
to write out buffers, sadly, cannot be used for user framebuffers.
it is meant mainly to be used as an output shader list probably,
the only imgs you can get out are the same there were before,
normal tag etc.
second, to use ctrl_buffers or any other output shader that write
out images you'll get to modify a bit the previous workflow. pratically
the only thing to bear in mind is to attach the buffer_write to an
output pass and not to the 'direct' output shader slot as before.

good things.
------------
1.mentalimages fixed the inconsistency where the framebuffers were
initialized before scene preprocessing not allowing geometry shaders
to implement fbs entries in the miOptions structure.
this means that the previous buffer_api returns in all its glory.
so if you wanna forget all the above just put a buffer_api in the scene,
enable a range; plug a buffer_write to an output pass, enable the same
range to be also wrote out and there you go. unlimited buffers.

2.we rewrote part of the ctrl_buffers to allow a better workflow under
this situation, all in the pack is now in a range fashion: you enable
a range of userframebuffers instead of enabling one by one, also the
buffer_store can reorder the buffers arbitrary so if you need the 999
and 1000th buffers, enable the range 999-1000, and in the buffer_store
enable two buffer slots and type the respective channel 999, 1000.

3.we worked out the buffer_api to extend (on maya) virtual framebuffering.
while in virtual mode, that means the fbs are memory-mapped to disk,
one can also supply a specific directory where 'park' its fbs
during rendering, they will be removed automatically after writed out
as images; if anything in the string, then mr will look for env vars
if anything found will rely on the temp folder from the environment.
if not enabled the fbs will be stored in memory, good when we have
a small number of nimble framebuffers.

4.added tonemapping function to be used with framebuffers and primary rgba.

5.fixed padding bug.

6.it is fixed, by mentalimages, also the situation where using coverage
buffer and more than 5 fbs mentalray was crashing miserably, now it works
as it should.. greatly ! :)

ciao
francesca

Jozvex
08-07-2005, 03:30 AM
Wow! Thanks for the info Francesca! I think your English is getting a lot clearer too by the way! :)

Have you posted the updated ctrl_buffer with ctrl_api for Maya 7 in this thread already? Or is it not finished yet?

francescaluce
08-07-2005, 03:54 AM
it is on the first page.

ciao
francesca

techmage
08-07-2005, 04:10 AM
fransesca do you have a website where you post the latest versions of your shaders?

Have you updated ctrl_shading and mix8 for maya 7? Or do they still work?

buki
08-07-2005, 11:14 AM
hi Francesca!

I read ur last long post, and im a bit confused and inexperienced regarding framebuffers, but in one simple word: can I render buffers with your shader in maya 7.0 without standalone mr?

cheers

cpan
08-07-2005, 11:20 AM
can I render buffers with your shader in maya 7.0 without standalone mr?

just tried it out and it works:thumbsup:... ofcourse u need the maya 7 version wich is on the first page of this thread.

PS. rygoody, i've uploaded most of francesca's shaders on my site... http://yashu.go.ro... also i updated my ShaderList script for maya 7:thumbsup:

fr3drik
08-07-2005, 04:45 PM
Still no Linux / OSX version? :cry:
(I won't stop bugging you about this ;))

Again, thanks for the update! Keep it up!

aadams
08-07-2005, 06:48 PM
francesca thank you so much for you and your mental ray shaders. This thank you goes to any friends who also helped you along the way.

you see I am a professor of computer graphics and I your shaders has made it so much easier to teach my students how to make more professional looking rendering using maya and mental ray.

I will send you some of their work when I can...you have alot of fans.

if there is anything I can do to repay this favor let me know.

vectormodeling
08-08-2005, 06:14 AM
Francesca,

tom cowland (http://www.tomcowland.com/mentalray/) says that he would compile ctrl_buffers for OS X. he got mix8layer and many others compiled for the mac. i don't know if you want to release the sources, but i just got an email from him saying he would be happy to do the compile.

keep up the innovation.

peace.

kurgan
08-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I dont know whats going wrong here, I opened the demo scene and I can see the nodes etc. but when I render I only get the normal rgba output?

any pointers?

francescaluce
08-08-2005, 02:42 PM
C:/ ......

kurgan
08-08-2005, 02:53 PM
yes that was obvious from looking at the write node, but nothing appears there?

btw im on maya 7

fx3x
08-08-2005, 04:06 PM
thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you thank you

francescaluce
08-08-2005, 04:27 PM
http://img351.imageshack.us/img351/7276/smilesblock1lk.gif

ciao
francesca

kurgan
08-08-2005, 08:49 PM
is it possible to get a shortish step by step guid of what should make it tick?

ie: along the lines of: create node A and B, connect the NNN attribute of A to the MMM attribute of B etc.

murnau
08-09-2005, 12:30 PM
ciao francesca, io sono nuovo di questo argomento, potresti consigliarmi qualche risorsa per iniziare?
grazie,
Matteo

kurgan
08-12-2005, 09:42 AM
ok i figured it out, problem was I wasnt rendering through the camera with the output shader

bjoern
08-29-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi francescaluce

Is the way via the Mix8Layer with M7 still working? And If :-)
Can you explain the workflow (if it's different). I'm sitting here...
and don't now where I' have to pipe what....

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 02:52 PM
the workflow is the same as with buffer_store.
just use the mix8layer1.2 to get the same thing.
the layer where you connect your contents will
be stored in the respective buffer, enable
only_fbs from the general section of the shader.
if you need to remap the buffer as with the last
buffer_store, just remove the dropdown list from
the mel template and type in it directly, but if you
just plan to use the first 8 bufs you'll got no probs.

ciao
francesca

daniel77
08-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Hey all!

I am trying to make a transparant car window. I am using a transparant material and plug it into the ctrl buffers. The shading network dosnīt calculate the transparancy. Do anyone know how to set this up?

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 04:50 PM
fixed. dw from the first page the 1.3b.
just overwrite the .dll

ciao
francesca

bjoern
08-29-2005, 05:17 PM
A short question to the Mix8layer :) in conjuction with FB.
Every Layer in the Mix8layer has the option ..fb --> put.in.framebuffer.
How do I enable that for the base.color? Sorry if I maybe missunderstood the concept.

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 05:27 PM
with the mix8layer the base is always the
primarybuffer, then 1-8 userframe buffers.
I will update shortly the shader to support
unlimited (by remapping the..) user fbs.
thanks for testing.

ciao
francesca

daniel77
08-29-2005, 05:28 PM
Still dont get it to work. I map a transparant blinn to fb slot 1, still dispalys solid color. I might be doing something wrong here. I am not a tech guy, sorry....

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 05:40 PM
well don't use the build-in maya nodes.. they doesn't
return transparency while attached to a mr node.
use mib_blinn->input->mib_transparency or just all
the custom nodes outthere.

ciao
francesca

bjoern
08-29-2005, 05:41 PM
so then I just can let the base blank? right? because I only need the bufferoutput.
What is a little bit strange... If I set the Base to black and piped in the Layer 1 an Blinn
the Buffer output is les brighter than the Normal rendert Image. confused...
Ohh, the blending mode of the Layer 1 is Normal.mix

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 05:55 PM
so then I just can let the base blank? right?
mmh.. why you should not use the primary buffer ? also it is
there that a lot of things are first considered also for all the
other user fbs.

If I set the Base to black and piped in the Layer 1 an Blinn
the Buffer output is les brighter than the Normal rendert Image. confused...
Ohh, the blending mode of the Layer 1 is Normal.mix
dunno. the feedback from userfbs is the same as for rgba.
did you check the global mix8 OnlyFramebuffers. no layer compositing
is considered in that mode.
try to plug the same blinn either in base and layer1.
enable put.in.framebuffer on the local layer. then check OnlyFramebuffers
from the global settings. the same results here.

ciao
francesca

bjoern
08-29-2005, 06:11 PM
My Settings:
Only Framebuffers : off
Base.Color : Blinn
Color.1 : the same Blinn
Layer 1 ..fb : ut.in.framebuffer : on
Blendingmode: normal Mix

Buffer 1:
http://www.bjoerngromoll.com/Forums/CGTalk/ctrl_buffer/buffer_1.jpg

Renderview:
http://www.bjoerngromoll.com/Forums/CGTalk/ctrl_buffer/renderview.jpg

So what did I wrong? :)

francescaluce
08-29-2005, 06:14 PM
you're appling the tonemapping function
from the buffer_write with probably checked
OnlyRGBA. :)

ciao
francesca

bjoern
08-29-2005, 06:15 PM
ohh with "Only Framebuffers : on" nothing changed.
Not if I render via Renderview, and also not via batch.