PDA

View Full Version : making a character walk

Wesball
09-14-2002, 03:17 AM
I'm trying to make my character walk, but I'm not sure how to start.

Should i make my guy walk in place then move him or move him the make his feet move along...

if anyone has any suggestions or tips on how to animate charcters... I'd appreciate it.

:-)

wgreenlee1
09-14-2002, 04:00 AM
Just put one foot in front of the other and soon you'll be walking out the door......:scream:

Sorry I couldnt resist.:rolleyes:

Seriously.
I not much of an animator but I would think that making him walk in place would not be having him do what you want .....right?
You want him to walk a line or path right?
Youre going to have to learn IK or keyframe every step and forward movement along that given path.
If you learn how IK works it will make it really simple because the constraints and goals that you set for the bones make things like walking and swinging the arms and hips very feasible.
Let me ask this,do you have him rigged yet?
If not then get that part done.
Once you get a feeling of having him rigged as far as the bones and having them activated then IK is the next step(no pun intended).
:cool:
Then along with that of course comes deformations,soft skin,weights and all the other stuff related.
The thing to really do is hit the tutorials here on the web,buy a book(that one from Dan Ablan sounds like a winner),download other peoples rigs(theres some over at Preset.com and Logan Arts at Renderosity.com has some for download in the Lightwave forum),and really dig into it and learn.
Sounds easy huh?

Anyhoo I hope this helps some.

proton
09-14-2002, 04:02 AM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20863

vbstudios
09-15-2002, 01:11 PM
hmmmm..how do

i had the same problem recently. watch other people walking, i even used my fingers (let your fingers do the walking.....DOH!). But the one big help i found was

The Animators Survival Kit available on plenty sites (amazon for one).

and after all that i have a stick figure that walks....

:bounce:

laters

vic

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.