PDA

View Full Version : NEW! DreamWorks Madagascar Trailer

worker_bee
02-11-2005, 06:56 AM
http://movies.yahoo.com/movies/feature/madagascar.html

joeeverton
02-11-2005, 07:30 AM
Hopefully this film wlill be a return to form for dreamworks after sharks tale. From the trailer I think it looks like it probably will be. Especially those penguins, they look really funny.

strick9
02-11-2005, 07:34 AM
The look of the film and animation is awesome, I just don't find Dreamworks humor very funny, I didn't crack a smile once during that trailer, I did find the earlier trailer to be pretty funny though, more specifically the stuff with the evil penguins, which was missed in this trailer.

n-drew
02-11-2005, 07:44 AM
lol, the funniest trailer (maybe 3d movie) i have ever seen, great http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

jason-slab
02-11-2005, 08:19 AM
great trailer!! can't wait to see this movie

|jason

mikecarry
02-11-2005, 08:25 AM
Wow, that was painful to watch. Not funny at all.

thethule
02-11-2005, 08:31 AM
OK, that really wasnt that funny. The first trailer was much much better. And i agree, i dont find Dreamworks humour that funny. Shark's tale was painfully bad and although Shrek had its moments (Shrek2 was better), it was very hit and miss. Am the only one who HATES to hear songs that everyone knows in these cartoons. Shrek 2 had Freak out by Chic, Ricky Martin etc... NOT FUNNY! And all those stupid "wink wink" jokes...Gap=Gup, Versace=Versarchery....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA...umm no. Once yes, 20 times, maybe not.

And now in Madagascar, we have Reel to Real's "i like to move it". About as original as that horrible, recent fad in teen films of having a dance routine in the middle of the film.

PLUS! I cant be the only one that has seen Wallace and Gromit. Hello? Psycho penguin, psycho penguinS?? Hmmmmmmm

And that gag about the lion scaring the baby thingy......Ice Age anyone? "wheres the BABY!?", one of the funniest bits of a fantastic CG film. I dont mean to sound like a Dreamworks basher, but come on! Show a little bit of originality and stop being so concerned with having cool celebs to do your voices. And for the record, Shrek better than Monsters Inc.? (according to The Academy)......get real.

On the plus side, it LOOKS fantastic.

Marc

...grumble grumble...back to work....grumble grumble

mattmos
02-11-2005, 08:38 AM
Some pretty harsh responses so far... Personally I love this trailer, agreed the first was better in terms of gags, but the quality and style of the production have completely won me over. Seriously looking forward to this :)

mikecarry
02-11-2005, 09:30 AM
This movie and I started off on the wrong foot. I love Shrek 2, but every time I put in the DVD, I have to fast forward the trailer for this movie. Stupid lack of skip option.

L.Rawlins
02-11-2005, 11:46 AM
^ Concur wholeheartedly.

Even though VHS is dead... its capacity to do that was magical.

mmkelly011881
02-11-2005, 01:02 PM
Aww man!!! i didn't laugh once :(

although it does look pretty, nice modelling, nice lighting, some good animation

alexyork
02-11-2005, 01:14 PM
this is shaping up to be a corker! i love the whole look of it, particularly the character designs.

just a shame Dreamworks is still firmly on the modern pop reference bandwagon. doesn't help increase its appeal to older audiences. the only thing letting it down in my opinion.

Clanger
02-11-2005, 01:24 PM
Was I watching the same trailer? I thought it extremely funny, the equal of 'The Incredibles' and that's very high praise in my book. I must be on the creators wave length or something, no idea what that implies though :shrug:

SheepFactory
02-11-2005, 02:41 PM
Awesome :D

I cant wait to see this movie.

Gentle Fury
02-11-2005, 02:46 PM
this is shaping up to be a corker! i love the whole look of it, particularly the character designs.

just a shame Dreamworks is still firmly on the modern pop reference bandwagon. doesn't help increase its appeal to older audiences. the only thing letting it down in my opinion.

Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree on this. The movie looks like its gonna be great and a lot of fun......but it will never be remembered as a classic. This is fast food entertainment. Dreamworks seems to love adding in pop references, but the problem with that is its humorous now, but what about in 10 years when noone remembers any of these references (or kids that never knew them in the first place) they really limit their audience when they do this. Sure you make money at the box office.....but as much as I hate Disney you gotta respect them for still being able to sell their first animated feature Snow White for $50.....can you imagine how much money that movie has made them over the years?!??!?

Pixar knows what they're doing! They stay away from all the cheesy pop culture reference crap and make a great story that is timeless. Look at Toy Story....it is 10 years old this year, and it is still an amazing movie that will be remembered for the next 100 years! But I guess some companys are in it for the initial payout and aren't interested in making a classic.

angel
02-11-2005, 03:03 PM
I personally liked the triler. I think this is probably the most original idea they have had. Common there are funny shots there... the Lion talking to that little creature trying to calm him down... that was funny; I love the ilustration qualities that the film has. Very nice.

Clanger
02-11-2005, 03:04 PM
Pop references? I'm way too old to have noticed any of them, I gave up with pop when Gary Glitter was making chart hits (well who wouldn't?) Still found it very funny though.

Curious now, what were the references?

thethule
02-11-2005, 03:10 PM
Common there are funny shots there... the Lion talking to that little creature trying to calm him down... that was funny

Yes....but its totally, totally ripped off from Ice Age, even the camera angles.

I agree, the styling is great and the animation very nice. But like Gentle Fury said, this will NOT become a classic. Eh, who knows. It may turn out to be the funniest thing since sliced bread......no wait, thats not right.:shrug:

Marc

Oh and Clanger. The references:

The biggest one: The stars they use for the voices, ben stiller, will smith, jada pinkett lovelyness smith, davis shwimmer etc... these are all very popular stars among younger audiences. Pixar had the balls to go with people who FIT THE ROLES but were not necessarily that well known. Craig T Nelson? I bet you wont find many under 30 who know who he is. Well, now they do. And Holly Hunter? Great actress, hardly "cool" though.

Secondly: The music they play. Freak out, carwash, living la vida loca, i like to move it...and numerous others

Third: All the dad to day brands turned "funny". Gap-Gup, Versace-Versarchery.

Im sure there is more

PokeChop
02-11-2005, 03:41 PM
I think this is gonna ROCK! Cannot wait to see it! Thank you Dreamworks!

cgtalkmember
02-11-2005, 03:47 PM
Very nice and funny too specially with a cast like chris rock, Ben Stiller and David Schwimer it will be great :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Fluckrat
02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Man, I guess there's just no pleasing some people... I think this looks fantastic. Possibly even more enjoyable than The Incredibles (which I loved every frame of)...

As for all these supposed references that will render the film unwatchable in 10 years... that's clearly just plain rubbish. I should point out that I would whole-heartedly agree about all the other Dreamworks films' in-jokes and references. They really irritate me too (Sharktale's success angers me beyond words - now *that* was an excercise in clever marketing and promotion). I just don't see them here as badly as before.

Can't wait. :thumbsup:

FloydBishop
02-11-2005, 04:02 PM
I think this movie will be pretty funny. I liked this trailer, and it's nice to see the different animal designs. I agree about the pop references, but it seems to be much less in this film than it was in "Shark Tale".

I like the look overall as well. The colors, textures, and models are all very interesting to watch, and the layouts are interesting... something often overlooked.

I don't see the "Ice Age" rip off though (and I was on that film).

I'll buy a ticket.

Gentle Fury
02-11-2005, 04:32 PM
Pop references? I'm way too old to have noticed any of them, I gave up with pop when Gary Glitter was making chart hits (well who wouldn't?) Still found it very funny though.

let's see....well some of it was already mentioned, the use of silly pop songs that noone will remember later. And the "hottest" actors that will be forgotten and just be voices eventually, but noone will really find it as funny because they can't relate to the actors.

Cast (http://www.imdb.com/Glossary/C#cast) (in credits order) Ben Stiller (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001774/).... Alex the Lion (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351283/quotes) (voice)Chris Rock (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001674/).... Marty the Zebra (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0351283/quotes) (voice)David Schwimmer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001710/).... Melman the Giraffe (voice)Jada Pinkett Smith (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000586/).... Gloria the Hippo (voice)rest of cast listed alphabeticallySacha Baron Cohen (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0056187/).... Julian (voice)Cedric the Entertainer (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0147825/).... (voice)Adam Del Rio (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1120246/).... (voice)Andy Richter (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0725200/).... (voice)Gwen Stefani (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005461/).... (singing voice)

some quotes in this trailer.....we all know there will be TONS more when the movie comes out.

Chris Rock (Zebra): You don't see that on Animal Planet

Wierd Pigmi thing: All Hail The NEW YORK GIANTS!

This was the only thing I didn't like about Shrek. It was a great movie, but it had way too many fart jokes and pop references.

Bulldog
02-11-2005, 04:36 PM
Yea well , its dreamworks and you know what to expect. Yes it'll be full of pop culture refs and cheesy pop songs. So why act surprised about it? , thats the market dreamworks aims to cater to , they are not trying to put out "classics".

kevan
02-11-2005, 04:50 PM
i think the case for pop culture references is justified within the context of the movie, (they are different entities to those seen in "shark tale". for example). the four leads are supposed to be displaced cosmopolitan manhattan-ites with lifelong access to the trappings of modern society. i think that these little insights help us connect with the characters, for it gives us something to identify with.

mattmos
02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
i think the case for pop culture references is justified within the context of the movie, (they are different entities to those seen in "shark tale". for example). the four leads are supposed to be displaced cosmopolitan manhattan-ites with lifelong access to the trappings of modern society. i think that these little insights help us connect with the characters, for it gives us something to identify with.

Are you possibly slightly biased though Kevan? ;)

Though actually that's a very good point, and really I don't mind the cast choices at all, they are all strong vocal performers. Not quite sure about schwimmer though, I can't get the friends episode where he's at college with big hair out of my head :D

Slurry
02-11-2005, 04:58 PM
I'm not picking up on the pop refs in this trailer. I agree that the song is lame but it would probably be just as lame if they had written an original song and had a little dance party.
The New York Giants can hardly be a current pop reference when the team has been around for decades. Other countries may not get it if they don't follow the NFL at all.
Shrek 2 was riddled with them on the other hand. The ceiling poster of Sir Justin for example. Puh-LEASE!

The Madagascar trailer was extrememly well animated and the design was fresh and appealing. This one will be worth a ticket at the theatre I think. The only thing I am dreading is the racial inuendos that will come from the Zebra (Chris Rock character). I mean, just because a character is voiced by a black actor, does it HAVE to rely on racial jokes?
That goes for live action movies as well. So lame. SO Tired. Blech.

Art

kevan
02-11-2005, 05:56 PM
Are you possibly slightly biased though Kevan?

nah. i am defending the trailer purely based on my love of the "i like to move it" song.

perhaps i am intellectualising, but given the framework of the film it seems completely appropriate.

Kaszub
02-11-2005, 07:13 PM
Well... I love the characters' design and animation of animals. There is great attention to detail in backgrounds, awesome effects and renders - it looks much more promising than Sharktale (honestly I didn't find that fishy stuff interesting/entertaining/appealing at all - it was quite boring experience for me despite quite nice rendering and animation quality... sorry). I will definitelly see that flick in the cinema and probably buy a dvd when it comes out (unless it won't really dissapoint me at cinema of course ;) ).

But there are two things in that trailer which I didn't enjoy equally with design and animation quality. I'd like to point out lack of sophisticated graphic composition and backgrounds over saturated with elements/details distracting from foreground action and characters in most of shots. I liked shots with extraordinary stylised characters and jungle but not overdosed. I think that more simplified backgrounds and better/more precisely composed takes would make the cartoon stylisation more clear and appealing to me.

With those two small exceptions - no complaints ;) Really impressing trailer :D

Cheers,
Szymon

BoydLake
02-11-2005, 07:21 PM
let's see....well some of it was already mentioned, the use of silly pop songs that noone will remember later. And the "hottest" actors that will be forgotten and just be voices eventually, but noone will really find it as funny because they can't relate to the actors.

<snip>

some quotes in this trailer.....we all know there will be TONS more when the movie comes out.

Chris Rock (Zebra): You don't see that on Animal Planet

Wierd Pigmi thing: All Hail The NEW YORK GIANTS!

This was the only thing I didn't like about Shrek. It was a great movie, but it had way too many fart jokes and pop references.

In defense of the film, it seems that New York pop culture is part of the bit, and lack of pop culture reference would sort of defeat that part of the film.

The NEW YORK GIANTS have been around long enough to not qualify as pop culture in the same way as Animal Planet or MC Hammer, but makes total sense in a movie about New Yorkers "going out into the country".

I don't dissagree that there are a lot of pop references, but it's not like PIXAR never does it. Remember that whole Darth Vader/ZORG "I am your father" bit?

What doesn't really float my boat are the voices... that's where I agree whole heartedly. These voices with maybe the exception of Chris Rock don't seem to stand out as great animation character voices. Ben Stiller in particular has a rather generic sounding voice that really feels flat to me.

emilioG
02-11-2005, 08:21 PM
Ok:

Enough with the Pixar vs. DW rants, they're unconstructive and so last week. Some of the people who worked on Incredibles or other Pixar films work at DW today, and vice-versa. For the record, Incredibles is one of my fave cartoons to come out in the past 10 years. Pixar is as much a marketing machine as DW is, they just do it in different ways.

It can easily be said that Pixar uses "the Disney formula" on all their movies just like it can easily be said that DW uses pop culture. Does it really matter? Of course not, both are great and should be judged for what they are, not compared to each other. ;)

Secondly, Popular cast or not is irrelevant. Having David Schwimmer, Sasha Baron Cohen (aka Ali G) and Cedric "The Entertainer" on this cast is far from the popular choice. Not many people know who 2 of the 3 are. Shark Tale was a movie targeted for kids, and has nothing to do with the style of this movie or it's story. This is slap stick/squash and stretch animation, even stickato in some places, and is a step completely in the other direction than the past DW films.

So instead, critique the trailer for what it is. I personally am much happier with this trailer and the 1st one, and DEFINATELY happier than the preview we saw on the S2 DVD.

ps: Those furry things are Lemurs, native only to the island of Madagascar. :scream:

strangelife
02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
i'll pay to see this. high praise, indeed.

meatpuppet
02-11-2005, 09:44 PM
Pixar is as much a marketing machine as DW is, they just do it in different ways.

i gotta disagree with this...

disney is a marketing machine (THE marketing machine imo, you can't even get a dvd from them but a 'disney' dvd) it seems to me that pixar is focusing very strongly on telling really good stories in very entertaining ways. they're producing films and are (well, WERE) letting disney distribute them.

i think it'll be very interesting to see what they do with the pixar properties on their own. will toy story 3 suck? and if so how bad (hard?).

either way i'm much more interested in madagascar than i am in shark tale. i don't really like will smith, even as a fish.

cheers,

KolbyJukes
02-11-2005, 09:47 PM
I laughed harder during shrek 2 then I have at any movie in the last couple years...it was fuggin' hilarious.

I expect this movie will be just as funny, the visuals look great.

EDIT: oh wow! i didn't know Ali G's voice was in this movie! awesome! is he playing the marsupial squirrel thingy?

-K.

worker_bee
02-11-2005, 10:14 PM
I laughed harder during shrek 2 then I have at any movie in the last couple years...it was fuggin' hilarious.

I expect this movie will be just as funny, the visuals look great.

EDIT: oh wow! i didn't know Ali G's voice was in this movie! awesome! is he playing the marsupial squirrel thingy?

-K.

Yes Ali G is the King of the Lemurs...aka...that squirrel thing

Julez4001
02-11-2005, 11:03 PM
the Zebra (Chris Rock character). I mean, just because a character is voiced by a black actor, does it HAVE to rely on racial jokes?

Art

I'm lost, where are the racial jokes?

darktding
02-11-2005, 11:33 PM
I loved it! awsome trailer... and please dont over analyze this trailer let it come out then do ur geeky analysis... JEEZ!:rolleyes:

rootdown
02-11-2005, 11:37 PM
I passed up shark's tale and have no plans to rent it but this movie looks like fun.

beaker
02-12-2005, 12:06 AM
i gotta disagree with this...

disney is a marketing machine (THE marketing machine imo, you can't even get a dvd from them but a 'disney' dvd) it seems to me that pixar is focusing very strongly on telling really good stories in very entertaining ways. they're producing films and are (well, WERE) letting disney distribute them.

i think it'll be very interesting to see what they do with the pixar properties on their own. will toy story 3 suck? and if so how bad (hard?).I think you are blind if you believe that Pixar will not advertise equally as big as Disney did once they go separate from them. Pixar is a public company and they are a business. They are out there to make MONEY. It is foolish to think that they will not market the crap out of their films just because they are all about the story.

thethule
02-12-2005, 12:10 AM
Look, im not against any film just from a trailer. I enjoyed Shrek 1 and 2, even if i didnt think that they were remotley as good as any Pixar films. In my opinion. I will go and see Madagascar at the cinema like i do with any promising film. I am purely talking about the trailer. Who knows, this may be a future classic, like Ice Age is. Though i doubt it, i really doubt it. And yes, i will say that purely for the track record that Dreamworks holds in terms of animated films.

From what i have seen so far:

-Another cast of big, cool names, most of whom probably dont match the characters they are playing
-Lame pop referenced jokes.
-ripped off jokes from other films

That said, the design of the film is wonderful, and the animation seems spot on. So kudos to the animators! I am looking forward to this film, but am not expecting much story and joke wise.

mattmos
02-12-2005, 12:16 AM
nah. i am defending the trailer purely based on my love of the "i like to move it" song.

I'm shakin my touche right now :)

agreenster
02-12-2005, 12:18 AM
It can easily be said that Pixar uses "the Disney formula"

I remember reading something once where Pixar made a conscious decision to not have the Disney Formula. (ie: NEVER HAVE an "I wish" moment, no singing/musical numbers, stay away from hero and talking animal sidekick, etc etc)

Other than that, I wholeheartedly agree with you. DW bashing is silly. Talented people at both places for sure. And regarding the pop-references: Doesnt anyone remember the movie Aladdin and the commercial and critical success it recieved?? Loaded with pop-cultural references.

I'm looking forward to Madagascar--looks really beautiful and funny.

I havent seen Shark Tale yet--Ill probably buy it this weekend

mattmos
02-12-2005, 12:45 AM
I havent seen Shark Tale yet--Ill probably buy it this weekend

Hey Adam,
try before you buy. That's all I'll say about Shark Tale. Though admittedly I saw it inflight sat next to a really smelly old lady so might not have been the best viewing platform...

agreenster
02-12-2005, 01:23 AM
Nah. I make it a habit to just buy em, even if I end up not LOVING them. I can always use it for reference material down the road...

Slurry
02-12-2005, 01:43 AM
Hi Julez4001,

I may have misinterpreted the "crackalackin" lin from the trialer. But I am basing my trepidation on the Will Smith, "it's alright, alot of white fish can't do it" style of jokes and the fact that Rock's standup routine is is 90% racial.

Plus, make him a Zebra (black and white) and I would be surprised if the Dreamwork writers didn't drop a bomb on the barrel of fish (jokes) that situation offers.

I may be wrong though.

At any rate, I think Madagascar looks really good. Better than Shreks 1, 2 and Sharktale.

Oh and KWAK, try watching Shrek 2 again and see how many laughs you have. I did. It wasn't pretty. <crickets chirping>

Art

arona
02-12-2005, 01:52 AM
ignoring any idea of mine :D in case of other movies and companies, this movie doen not look any fun at all(maybe just penguins).

in case of "i like to move it", i hate ...:D

KolbyJukes
02-12-2005, 02:27 AM
Oh and KWAK, try watching Shrek 2 again and see how many laughs you have. I did. It wasn't pretty. <crickets chirping>
Art

Yeah, I saw it twice and theatres and then picked it up on DVD, I enjoyed it equally every time, the only thing I didn't like was the American Idol extra thing....I hate Simon Cowell. Regardless of what you think of the comedy, I think everyone agreed that the film is beautiful looking.

As for Madagascar, I thought the trailer was really funny, esp. the lemeurs,
'What ARE THEY!?' I love the delivery of that line.

-K.

Julez4001
02-12-2005, 03:27 AM
Well The crackalacking is not racial at all. It means the same as other saluations: "whats poppin' off" or "jumping off" or an oldie "whats Happenin!". Mind you, kids get this they are growing up in the hip hop culture, thay might memorimize classic rock but they get the slang.
Thats why SharkTales still did well at the theatre.

Released in US October 1, 2004
Total US Gross$ 161,412,000
Production Budget$75,000,000
Prints and Advertising Budget$35,000,000
Worldwide Gross$310,308,530
MPAA RatingPG for mild language and crude humorGenresDigital Animation (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/DigitalAnimation.php) Distributed byDreamworks SKG (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/Dreamworks.php) Music Composed ByHans Zimmer (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/HansZimmer.php) SourceOriginal Screenplay (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/OriginalScreenplay.php) Major GenreAnimated (http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/series/Animated.php)

Chris Rock standup may be racial but its a slam more against blacks than against whites.
Its commentary againstthe status quo. His routines is usually day to happenings, racial difference (which really aren't any, its economical) and then it follows what with sexist (difference between men and women). Same thing all the time but none of thats stuff will be in there.

Shrek 1 & 2 are super funny everytime I watch. I know some ppl watch other animation with Pixar-filtered glasses and are ready brow bash the competition. I lie all the houses but Ice Age in the end , as a whole, was not great as its parts aka Sid by John Legizumo and the cameo of the squirrely thing. Classic not yet.

Pop reference..some parts may endure some may not.
If you believe that all Disney stuff are solid gold material andf orever classics then you must have watch the last 15 years excluding Loin King of course. Aladdin..I still love it but the genie is doing a million pop references, Thats the Mouse House. Yes Shrek was better Monster Inc., slightly I might add but better. I love me both.

lildragon
02-12-2005, 02:24 PM
Trailer looks great, agree definitely with the pop references, but kids like it. The designs are fantastic and will catch on big. Looks to be Dreamworks best yet.

I haven't seen sharktale yet, but out of 4 blockbuster where I live, the shelves were picked clean last night, so I'm guessing it's more successful than most think :)

As for Chris ROck, his voice is only tolerable as voice-overs, but otherwise, dang he drives me up the wall gah

-lild

Gentle Fury
02-12-2005, 03:12 PM
Trailer looks great, agree definitely with the pop references, but kids like it. The designs are fantastic and will catch on big. Looks to be Dreamworks best yet.

I haven't seen sharktale yet, but out of 4 blockbuster where I live, the shelves were picked clean last night, so I'm guessing it's more successful than most think :)

As for Chris ROck, his voice is only tolerable as voice-overs, but otherwise, dang he drives me up the wall gah

-lild

OMG, TITO!!! I thought you had died!! Where ya been....how ya been.....good to see your ok! lol

lildragon
02-15-2005, 01:19 AM
Yeah man, I've always been around, just mainly looking on and such, really busy these days :)

-lild

Capel
02-15-2005, 02:24 AM
edit: i'm retarded.

RobertoOrtiz
02-15-2005, 02:38 AM
NEW TRAILER!

http://www.uipfilm.ch/trailers/madagascar_intl1_qt_352.mov

Come on guys,the characters in the movie have a lot of charm.

Having said that, I HATED SharkTale.
It was one of the worst movies of last year.
You could practically see the seams in the script .

-R

Ollarin
02-15-2005, 02:39 AM
Hahaha! That trailer is awesome!

Damnit...I need to watch the movie now! :p

mmkelly011881
02-15-2005, 02:58 AM
i liked that trailer better

emilioG
02-15-2005, 03:28 AM
Yeah, so was "From Justin to Kelly", the american idol movie. doesn't change the fact that Shark Tale was horrible in every sense of the word. My animation teacher was a lead animator for the thing, and he hates it the most! worst animated movie i've ever seen by a long shot. me and my roomates couldnt even finish it.

That's nice.

Cinsider that this movie wasn't made for people in our age group. It was made for kids, moms and dads. Knowing this, children don't care for good animation, lighting or a perfect script as much as we in the business do. It isn't my favorite movie, also far from the worst movie I've seen this year, but if I were say 7, or a dad of 3, I would've probably loved it for putting a huge smile on the kids, and that's what it did. Mission accomplished. :D

worker_bee
02-15-2005, 09:05 PM
Yeah, so was "From Justin to Kelly", the american idol movie. doesn't change the fact that Shark Tale was horrible in every sense of the word. My animation teacher was a lead animator for the thing, and he hates it the most! worst animated movie i've ever seen by a long shot. me and my roomates couldnt even finish it.

Speaking of Sharktale...

Shark Tale sells 6M units in 1 week Reuters (http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/15/news/newsmakers/sharktale.reut/), via CNN Money, reports on the unit sales of the new Shark Tale home video release, according to DreamWorks. "Shark Tale [has] sold more than 6 million units in its first week in domestic home video and DVD release. The sales generated an estimated $80 million-plus in retail sales since its Feb. 8 release, beating the movie's first-week box office take of $56 million, DreamWorks said in a statement."

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/15/news/newsmakers/sharktale.reut/

Capel
02-16-2005, 08:59 AM

Capel
02-16-2005, 09:10 AM

Julez4001
02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
Sounds like a personal problem Capel, I enjoyed the movie and I am not "dumb" as the rest of your persception of America. I, like a lot of people, liked the movie, it made them laugh. Kids and adults. Matter of fact, Dreamworks advertise thier films as "comedies" so maybe thats their direction.
Like I said Aladdin had tons of pop culture reference, and everyone swears by the movie. If you didn't like it, then thats fine but don't just make sweeping statements like you are the authority on great films. Dreamwork's numbers talk for them so just accept that you didn't like a movie that everyone else did.

Tocpe
02-16-2005, 02:03 PM
Looks like good fun. Think I'll go see it when it opens. I like the pinguins.

Darktwin
02-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Normally I'd turn a blind eye, but after watching the trailer, I'd definitly see this film, looks like its gonna be funny.

Capel
02-19-2005, 04:25 AM

emilioG
02-22-2005, 02:01 AM
Julez and Capel:

guys, take it easy, it's just a flick.

julez is right, 99% of animators swear by Alladin because of the genie, not because of the pop culture (that's where you're a bit off there Julez).

Thing here is Capel, I watched your reel, and you obviously know what you're doing. There were a few clips of anim I enjoyed. What you need to understand, and this is a major problem in the industry, is that because a film didn't click with you or just wasn't made for your age group doesn't give you the right to stomp on it as you're doing. no offense, but it's immature. It's being nominated alongside Shrek2 and Incredibles, so one could say that not only the consumers but the industry itself must also be enjoying it.

It's clear that the major population enjoyed it, and that's where it ends. You don't need the execs to tell you it was made for kids, all you need to know is that there were tons of animators, lighters, etc. doing it because they like to make cartoons. This is a business, so yes, money is involved when we talk about execs.

Back to Madagascar please.:D

Julez4001
02-22-2005, 02:25 AM
....(oh and i edited my quote of your post and put the important words in all caps. can you tell me what you did wrong?)

Actually I did nothing wrong. Sweeping statement of "everyone swears by Aladdin" is solid. If you read anything (news, reviews, toon histories) about cartoons in the last 12 years, Aladdin ranks in the top five whether its 2D or 3D, right there with Lion King, Toy Story. I have friends who didn't really like Toy Story but for me to sit there and tell everyone else that its not a great movie for them is just plain wrong. You said that other ppl (americans) are getting dumber based on their choice of Sharktales. Not a big fan of everything doesn't mean it HAS TO be wrong for everyone else.

Sweeping statements or not, you downed other people for liking a film you did not and that's not right.

Capel
02-22-2005, 02:47 AM

emilioG
02-22-2005, 06:10 PM
And, that is 100% totally fair. To each his own :)

Everyone who gets a chance should check Capel's animation out, there some solid stuff there.

I personally can't wait for Madagascar to come out, but let's just say I have my reasons ;)
:buttrock:

kiaran
02-22-2005, 07:42 PM
Capel- Nice reel. I really like the passionate speech by the female character on trial. Good stuff :)

I just wanted to pipe in and say that I rented Shark's Tale with my g/f with no real expectations. I would have been happy with a moderatly entertaining little forgettable movie with some fancy CG effects (even though I hoped it would be more).

This is the FIRST MOVIE I'VE EVER SHUT OFF. I made it over an hour into it expecting it to get better. What a pile of garbage. I'll respect other peoples opinions to the extent this forum requires, but honestly, if you liked this movie you have ISSUES.

It was a terrible messy slop of awefull charcters, worse voice acting and cheesy 'jokes'. I use 'jokes' in quotations becuase they was nothing funny going on here.

What a miserable peice of trash.

The CGI, on the other hand, was very cool. But even with the volume turned down, this movie is just too obnoxious to watch.

Capel
02-22-2005, 09:47 PM

Capel
02-23-2005, 07:46 AM
oh yeah, i guess i should respond to the actual TOPIC of the thread. :)

yeah, i'm totally psyched for Madagascar! Looks to be leaps and bounds ahead of their other stuff... good for Dreamworks.

CGTalk Moderation
02-23-2006, 08:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.