PDA

View Full Version : paint effects problems on pollys

Trash
02-11-2005, 12:17 AM
I am having a problem painting and applying brush animation to that paint stroke on a polly surface in Maya 6. NURBS works as it should but not the polly surface. Does anyone have any suggestions????????

Duncan
02-11-2005, 02:51 AM
I'm not sure I understand the problem you are having, but pfx on poly meshes in 6.0 have a problem where the rotation of the poly does not get applied to the stroke path normals, so tubes will twist in a funny way when the mesh is rotated. This was fixed in Maya 6.0.1.

One potential confusing problem is that turbulence sometimes does not update in the interactive.. opening the flowAnimation block in the attribute editor fixes this. Or if one has any attribute on the brush keyframed it also works OK. This is only interactive.. batch rendering is unaffected.

A current limitation of pfx on poly is that the stroke path curve cvs cannot be edited or animated. It is really a curveOnMesh, but it is not fully implemented in the manner of curveOnSurface. However it is possible translate the entire curve along the mesh, though one must select the curve in the hypergraph, as it is not visible in the UI.

Duncan

Duncan
02-11-2005, 05:00 PM
I saw from your related post elsewhere that this was a problem with the brush springs feature not working with pfx on poly. The point on curve used by the expression set up by brush springs does not work with the curve on poly. However I looked at the code and realized that the routine was needlessly complicated. We can get the value of stroke points directly from the stroke, and do not need the path curve. I've attached the modified script "makeBrushSprings.mel". Put this in your scripts directory. When you run maya you should then be able to do brush springs for pfxOnMesh. Also, as I had mentioned, if you plan on rotating the mesh object it is a good idea to get Maya6.0.1.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.