PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel 2005

Ranimate
02-10-2005, 11:21 PM
Hi all,

My name is Ran and I am an aspired Animator.
I recently gratuated from Sheridan College ON Canada and found my way at a studio called: HandsUp, A cool place down in Tel Aviv, Israel :)

I finished my Reel few days ago (Gathering stuff for a new one already, you got to keep on trying...)

I would love for you guys to take a look and perhaps share your wisdom.
This is my first post here and Im filled with fears....

Thnak you all,

Reel can be found here: http://www.jasonho.net/ran/videos/ranimate_reel.mov

Ranimate

B-rad
02-10-2005, 11:45 PM
The link does not work says that you can't direct link to anything in Angelfire. Too bad from the Thumbnail I was really interested in seeing it.

kevinw
02-11-2005, 12:18 AM
worked for me... Had to right click and save as.

Overall there's some pretty good stuff. Is this reel for fun or to land a new job? If it's for a job you may want to add your name and contact at the end of the reel.

As for the content itself. I think you should put the flour sack stuff at the end or cut it completely. You should really lead with your strongest work. Your other work is SOOO much better. I really like the "Dumb and Dumber" clips and the guy waking up with a cigarette in his nose is well done too. I love the style on the black and white clips. Hell even the Pac-man clip shows you've got a good eye for overlap and exaggeration. For some reason though.. the flour sack is really lacking. Did you fly through it or something? I'd give it another go and recut your reel without it for now. But that's just my two cents. :shrug:

BTW.... no need to be fearful of anyone on this forum.:thumbsup:

Blockhead
02-11-2005, 03:49 AM
What skills of yours are you trying to show? I would say you should keep working within animation, think that's where your biggest talent lies.
Have to disagree with kevinw, I think that the guy with the cigarette up his nose is the worst clip in your real, especially when it comes to animation. I like the balck and white stuff's style.

Ranimate
02-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Kevinw - Thanks for the advise, the sack was actually my first real animation (before that I used to do banners for the internet, boooring), so I guess I have sentimental feelings for it? oh well, I guess thats going out the window :) I have something I can put instead for now...

blockhead - I am applying for animation (hence the topic, animation reel :) ), could you be more specific about the cigarrete guy? are u talking about everything that u saw with him in the reel or just the clip where he is in a close up to the camera? (there are 2 clips with him, that and when he wakes up after a magazine is falling off of him)

Thank you guys for the critics and the kind words about the animation abilities u saw from the reel ;)

R

HenningK
02-12-2005, 06:50 AM
Not bad. !
The rule is cut anything that doesn't show off your animation... the black and white stuff is great, but some of the clips where there's not much going on don't belong (dont cut it altogther though, there's more clips where ther IS stuff going on). The flour sack this is clever I think, work on exaggeration and anticipation there. I dont like the cigarette man either, the render is terrible and what's he really doing to show off?
good reel, ran
-hen

freakmoomin
02-12-2005, 01:37 PM
hey

have to agree with everyone here.....

the black and white stuff looks nice (cool style) but the cigarette guy and the flour bag are a little weaker than the rest....the pacman things good as well.

but the flour bag does have potential, id maybe go back in and re-work some of this now you have learned more....shouldnt take long to go over it again and rework it.

cheers

kev

Ranimate
02-12-2005, 08:33 PM
K guys, I hear you and accept the advise you give me.
So, the two problematic clips are the flour sack and the cigarette man, done, they will go out!
I have something else I did recently to put instead.
Thank you very much people!

Hope you liked the rest ;)

R

yenvalmar
03-08-2005, 11:56 AM
i thought the posing on some of mannequin models doing the lip synch stuff was a bit flat, the characters just hit the poses kind of stiffly. probably just cutting into it faster or cutting different angles within the speech would "fix" that, you rarely ever see a character just standing in one place for that long in a movie. maybe if they were walking at the same time?

CGTalk Moderation
03-08-2005, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.