PDA

View Full Version : Animation Reel 2005 - M25

M25
02-10-2005, 11:18 PM
http://www.m25.se/images/ReelCG.jpg

Animation Reel (http://m25.se/video/AnimationReel_M25.mov) [QuickTime 14.8 MB, 1:50 min, Sorenson 3, Mpeg-4 Audio]

OK, here's my animation reel for 2005. It's mostly character animation but there are some shots of a more abstract style of animation.
I've become a bit bored with the stereotyped reels that are out there so I've tried with a little different approach, hope you like it.

So please give me your comments...

[02-14-2005: Updated the slow motion run cycle]

Blockhead
02-11-2005, 04:05 AM
I saw another thread from you just a day ago or so with that nice surrealistic ambient film. I like your reel too. Good solid animation.

clodhopper
02-11-2005, 06:29 AM
awsome style. I really like the way its so busted up...yet flows well and never drags at all.

I think that the white block character in yer title image is too mundane and doesn't do a reel of this quality enough justice.

mattmos
02-11-2005, 12:23 PM
Great reel, the editing is genius! I love the way the sound changes for each clip, being tuned in... The animation is very solid all the way through, can read emotions easily, and the experimental work has a very strong sense of design. Good stuff!

Agreed the image doesn't sell the reel though...

M25
02-11-2005, 05:32 PM
Thank you very much! One reason for doing the editing this way, apart from trying to get away from the common reel, is that many of my animations are build upon the audio and I really want to show that. I'm really glad you like the editing!

Agreed the image doesn't sell the reel though...
I've changed the image to a more covering and hopefully a more suitable picture for the reel.

HenningK
02-12-2005, 06:57 AM
I love the editing device too. Really brilliant.
The more things in there to switch between the better, I think.
The only bits of animation that didn't look good enough to be in here were the two run cycles... the one under your title card and the one that was part of the abstract music video.
-hen

LiffaMan
02-14-2005, 01:01 PM
so cool
the editing make that look so funny!
that reel is awesome!!

M25
02-14-2005, 09:25 PM
Thanks, Liffaman!

The only bits of animation that didn't look good enough to be in here were the two run cycles... the one under your title card and the one that was part of the abstract music video.
-hen
I've now actually changed the slow motion run cycle animation in the abstract video. I was never really pleased with how the legs moved... So the reel is updated now. The other cycle, which is a walk cycle by the way, what is it you don't like about it, Hen? It's not meant as a strictly realistic walk cycle, rather a more cartoony but still a clean and simple walk.

FireEyeC
02-14-2005, 11:35 PM
Amazing reel! I love the editing too, and the animation is great I was caught by surprise by the sudden changes and the volume thing in the beginning really draws you into the reel and make you want to see more. Also, it seemed like the way you cut up everything made me want to see more. GREAT job! :thumbsup:

DWThompson
02-15-2005, 02:17 AM
Where are you planning to get work? That is if your not already working...

What if the people who view your reel dont play it with sound though...it's really sparatic without sound...it just looks like a bunch of clips thrown together...

I like it overall though good job!

NrgJake
02-15-2005, 04:13 AM
Nice reel. I like the turtle stuff alot and the star aswell.

I'm not sold on the editing job tho. I think the reel would be stronger if you selected the best animations from each character you did and show that in entirety. The jumping back and forth to me makes me feel like you are trying to stretch out your reel, and the attention span of the viewer. You have nice work I think each piece would be stronger shown cohesively. Splitting it up like that takes some of the punch out of it for me. Cuz it feels like Iím seeing something Iíve already seen.

Regardless, You have quality work, Iím just not sold of the presentation.

M25
02-15-2005, 05:46 AM
Where are you planning to get work? That is if your not already working...

What if the people who view your reel dont play it with sound though...it's really sparatic without sound...it just looks like a bunch of clips thrown together...
At the moment I'm looking for work in Sweden, but if something good would show up elsewhere I would consider it. So if anyone would like to have me at their company, take contact =)

Yeah, without sound it looks kinda funny, I know. But since many of those clips are so connected with the audio I didn't want that to get lost. If it's a dancing animation it looks so much better if it's in sync with the audio, imo.

I'm not sold on the editing job tho. I think the reel would be stronger if you selected the best animations from each character you did and show that in entirety. The jumping back and forth to me makes me feel like you are trying to stretch out your reel, and the attention span of the viewer. You have nice work I think each piece would be stronger shown cohesively. Splitting it up like that takes some of the punch out of it for me. Cuz it feels like Iím seeing something Iíve already seen.
Ok, first negativ crit on the editing. I understand what you are getting at but that's not possible. Both the star and the butterfly animations consist of 4-5 separate unique shots each, with a lenght from 5 to 14 seconds. So there are really no more advanced storylines than you can see in the reel. Anyway, if you would like to see the animations cohesively they all can be found on my site.

andy_maxman
02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
awesome edit & sound
awesome character animation
i was freaked when i saw the thread on the turtle animation earlier on CGT and i'm freakd now again to see it in your reel.....
now let's see the compositing reel you been working on...
cheers!

Radiospank
02-15-2005, 08:10 PM
nice touch wiht the boards of canada i love that song... and also i like how u slowed down the man running.. but i thought the run was a little stiff like to straitghtup.... but everything else was great..

M25
02-16-2005, 03:40 AM
awesome edit & sound
awesome character animation
i was freaked when i saw the thread on the turtle animation earlier on CGT and i'm freakd now again to see it in your reel.....
now let's see the compositing reel you been working on...
cheers!

Thanks man, I really appreciate that!
I think I understand what you mean about the compositing reel, I read something about it in that other thread. I was refering to this animation reel I had to finish up. I'm not doing a comp reel. It's just that that I'm really interested in compositing, I just never get the chance to do anything a bit more advanced within compositing. And I don't own a video camera, so a big problem is to even get some good material for compositing, to begin with...

nice touch wiht the boards of canada i love that song... and also i like how u slowed down the man running.. but i thought the run was a little stiff like to straitghtup.... but everything else was great..
Yeah, Boards of Canada are great, if you want to see the whole animation to that song you can find it under this thread (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=208534). I agree a bit with the running man. I've tried to fix that one but I'm just not pleased with the result myself. And I don't find any reference from the net either, and there are too bloody much snow here for me to start running outside :rolleyes: . Should try to record some sports event from the tv if there only would be any... All I've got to go on at this point for reference is Muybridge's books. And man, people run so different from each other.

andy_maxman
02-16-2005, 03:57 AM
It's just that that I'm really interested in compositing, I just never get the chance to do anything a bit more advanced within compositing. And I don't own a video camera, so a big problem is to even get some good material for compositing, to begin with...

i share the same story mate. i love compositing & matchmoving animations a helluva lot. work does not give me this kind of oppurtunity. though i own a video camera and i try and do experiments once in while.
do you enjoy matchmoving kind of character animation? a little bit like Meats Meier like kind of works. he rocks.
godd luck.

freakmoomin
02-16-2005, 06:14 PM
hey

nice reel, watched it all the way to the end......which is unusual for me....

good edit job also.

cheers

M25
02-17-2005, 04:17 AM
do you enjoy matchmoving kind of character animation? a little bit like Meats Meier like kind of works. he rocks.
godd luck.
I've done a little bit of matchmoving in my days but not that much...
Have to agree with you about Meats Meier, almost everything he does is superb. He's got some great crazy ideas!

HenningK
02-17-2005, 04:37 AM
Never mind what i said about the title walk cycle. Its great.
I dont know exactly what i was thinking.
Maybe I thought the motion looked a little jerky in the first few loops, but I see thats a video effect you did.
embarassingly,
henning

jchristo
02-17-2005, 05:20 AM
wow, I love the music sync with the vibrating lines. especially the towers moving back towards the view. Love the star as well. Great energy and weight for such a simple character. Great work.

CGTalk Moderation
02-17-2006, 07:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.