PDA

View Full Version : Eovia is looking for Betatesters for a new modeling software

Totyo
02-10-2005, 10:23 PM
(crossposted to Modeling forum)
Dear 3D Artists,

Eovia, developer of the famous Carrara and Amapi 3D software families, is currently finalizing the development of a new product. Designed by creative people for creative people, this new product will be an advanced 3D Polygonal Modeler. It will be aimed at 3D artists and serious hobbyists who want to create imaginary or technical shapes and scenes to be further animated and/or rendered in other 3D applications such as Carrara, Lightwave, Cinema4D and TrueSpace, to name a few.

We are currently looking for talented 3D users like you to assist us in Beta testing the new software as we move toward finalizing the release. If you are interested in joining this project and will be committed to sending extensive feedback on a regular basis, please submit your contact details (email, telephone, mailing address), a personal profile and, ideally, a link to your portfolio to thomas@eovia.com.

Hope to welcome you onboard soon!

Sincerely,
Thomas Roussel
Eovia

xtrudeh
02-12-2005, 07:33 AM
Wow, so many views, so little reply...

I await the demo... ya gotta just love to play with new toolsets... well at least until ya hit the walls of redundancy... hope this one is different :)

Shade01
02-13-2005, 10:28 AM
Wow, so many views, so little reply...

It's because Wings, Silo, and Modo are already on the market and each one of them is a really good modeler. Whatevers coming from these guys is going to have to be extra special to compete and nothing of interest was mentioned in the post.

I actually am mildly curious about the beta, but with no information about whats cool about it, I honestly dont want to potentially waste my time with just another modeler.

Totyo
02-13-2005, 10:48 AM
Shade01 : I can understand your answer... but you can imagine that we cannot speak of the improvments in modeling concepts we include in our software, until we are still in alpha/beta stage and not near the release.
Just one information : most of the modeling will be able to be done with one tool :)

Virum
02-13-2005, 10:55 AM
I think you'd get more response if you had an actual website with more information.

I'm sort interested in trying it, but I'm not a good modeler and I don't know how much feedback I can deliver.

Ollarin
02-13-2005, 11:18 AM
I am really, really interested in this. But i'm afraid i have no time for it since i'm working on my reel for class and stuff. :/

Meh...I wish a normal day was 48 hours long. That would give me nice time. :P

Hazdaz
02-13-2005, 03:22 PM
I might be interested - but like VIRUM said, more people would be interested if they atleast saw a screen shot or a website on the product... just something to whet the appetite.

BTW, how far along is this software? How far until its actually on the market? How stable is it?

I would be VERY leary of installing anything on my computer without more info.

lovisx
02-13-2005, 04:57 PM
I have just sent an email, here are some links to my work

http://www.threedy.com/site/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21222&highlight=lovisx

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=206255&page=4&pp=15

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=183588

Totyo
02-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Since it's a -new- software, we cannot show anything about it. Perhaps we will show some screenshots when it will be close to the end. (yes, I know, it's a little bit frustrating (not sur of this word ;p)

But you can grab some information about Eovia's softwares on www.eovia.com (http://www.eovia.com/). I think some of you know Amapi, which is also a modeler, but now, more a Design/CAD modeler (polygons and NURBS). That's why, yes, we have some skills in polygons :)
You can also watch one of my work in video, with Amapi here : http://downloads.amapi.net/videos/fairy_totyo.mov

Hazdaz
02-13-2005, 10:13 PM
If your trying to say that this new software is semi-CAD like, then I would possibly be very interested seeing as how my many job involves CAD with 3D DCC mixed in.

I'll send ya an email tonight.

Totyo
02-13-2005, 11:03 PM
No, not CAD.. it's Amapi, our -other- modeler which is more CAD, even if you can make organic (as the video I post)

rendermania
02-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Totyo, this better be a tool that allows for topology-free freeform modeling, rather than YASM (Yet Another SubD Modeler). Honestly, people have poly and subd modelers coming out of their ears these days. All do exactly the same thing. All have exactly the same tools. Please, please, please develop something that allows for more natural modeling/sculpting if you haven't already done so and lets you worry about topology after you've dealt with hammering out the overall form of the object being modeled. Best of luck with your product.

Blazer
02-14-2005, 01:41 AM
rendermania, like zbrush? :)

DanSilverman
02-14-2005, 08:21 AM
Rendermania,

While I agree that there are a lot of Sub-D modelers out there, I certainly do not agree that they all have the same tools. And, even if they did, they do not all function in the same manner.

Totyo,

It is really difficult to want to get involved in beta testing software that the company is not willing to tell people anything about it. As a professional, I don't have all that much time to dedicate to a program that I know nothing about.

ThomasMahler
02-14-2005, 10:22 AM
Just one information : most of the modeling will be able to be done with one tool :)

That's the quote that got me interested in your tool!

Sounds VERY good to me! We don't need another poly/SubD Modeler that features 150 tools that you'll never really need (*cough*Modo!*cough*!) - One single, solid, nice app that gets updated often and features a handful of really good tools would be a blessing.

DanSilverman
02-14-2005, 11:36 AM
Sounds VERY good to me! We don't need another poly/SubD Modeler that features 150 tools that you'll never really need (*cough*Modo!*cough*!)

Why was that necessary? Do you even own Modo? Maybe you do and maybe you don't. But Modo does not have 150 tools and the ones that are there are very usable. It was totally uncalled for to slam another 3D application in this thread.

ThomasMahler
02-14-2005, 11:40 AM
Why was that necessary? Do you even own Modo? Maybe you do and maybe you don't. But Modo does not have 150 tools and the ones that are there are very usable. It was totally uncalled for to slam another 3D application in this thread.

Chill down, buddy.

Modo is another Modeler that has 20 tools to do one thing (e.g.: Extrude: Extrude Face, Extrude Edge, Extrude Vertex, etc. a lotta tools, a lotta unnecessary hotkeys, it's just against speed and workflow) - and that's not what should be aimed for.

Totyo
02-14-2005, 01:04 PM
Please, no war in this topic ;) It's completly off topic.. I think you can discuss about it in the Modo forum, no ? :p

chadtheartist
02-14-2005, 01:27 PM
Being able to model everything with one tool sounds amazing, and limiting at the same time. I'm intrigued at what you guys have planned. One tool? Interesting.

-JT-
02-14-2005, 01:37 PM
It does sound interesting, after all Amapi has a unique approach, and the company looks solid.
I'm a huge fan of Silo because of its simplicity so I hope this one will be simple as well.
I send a mail a few days ago but didn't receive any answer, when are you going to decide on your testers ?

lovisx
02-14-2005, 02:59 PM
I don't find there is a flood of sub-d modelers. If find they all do the same damn thing, and would be happy to find new inovative tools. They're all focused on selecting edge loops, when who needs that any way. We need to be able to find new ways of sub dividing the mesh, new ways of cutting it to it to make booleons and complicated edge loops easier. I agree that to have all your tools in one place like wings, is very useful.

lovisx
02-14-2005, 03:00 PM
I'd like to test too, please send me an email

louis.vot@gmail.com or
louisvottero@hotmail.com

Als
02-14-2005, 04:15 PM
I really like Carrara (I own version 3)
I'd really like better modeling tools.
( I use it only for hoby still)
So this is great move in right direction.
Yes, there are other packages, but then why not one more?:shrug:
My main issue is the user interface.
While I think Carrara is great, I never used amapi. :sad:
I do have a license and all, but I'm really puzzled by user interface.
I hope something can be done there. I also like what some other company
have done, and that's that if you want - you just switch to your usual tool
interface (camera, zoom, etc.) and off you are going and using it.
It's really really usefull and it makes you feel you are familiar with the package
straight away.
I'd like to see this in carrara and amapi too.

Thanks for listening and good luck! :thumbsup:

Als

No, not CAD.. it's Amapi, our -other- modeler which is more CAD, even if you can make organic (as the video I post)

Totyo
02-14-2005, 06:36 PM
I'm actually answering the emails (and 'll finish tomorrow).. but I have a lot of emails to answers ! I forgot anybody ! :)

xtrudeh
02-15-2005, 07:23 AM
Sounds cool so far... more, more... :D

maxrelics
02-15-2005, 08:18 AM
After watching the video, all I can say is WOW! If this program is anything like what I saw in the video, it looks really awesome to do some serious modeling! I'd really like to be a beta tester. I'll send in my stuff tomorrow.

ChrisDNT
02-15-2005, 09:48 AM
The first thing I look in a new modeler is how easy and fast it is to put images as background as modeling references.

ChrisDNT
02-15-2005, 09:53 AM
May I add that in my opinion it's also a good option to add "noobs" in a beta team, because things that may seem obvious for experts are often cryptic for the average users.

As an example, just think of the user's notice of the magnetoscop, written by engineers and understood only by engineers ;)

JA-forreal
02-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I'm actually answering the emails (and 'll finish tomorrow).. but I have a lot of emails to answers ! I forgot anybody ! :)

When is the time limit up on the beta test? I got started modeling on the Ray Dream Mesh Modeler which was the parent of Carrara. I don't have a demo reel but I can send up some images of a few of my character models that made it into a current project. I'm in if you will take me. My main 3d modeler now is Blender.

Have fun!

Totyo
02-15-2005, 11:41 AM
We still looking for beta testers ! beginners and killers of polygons !
All we need is strong motivation and good feedback ;)

If you want to apply, please, read my original post and give us as much informations as possible (I have a lot of email to read and it took me a lot if time, and I don't have a lot of time :)
-Name, surname, nickname
-Your postal address
-Your email address (if it is different that the one you used)
-Phone number and/or Fax (optional)
-Your website (if you have one, we always love to see what you do)
-Your hardware configuration: OS, Graphic card, Processor, Ram
-This list of 3D software you master or use frequently
(these information will be used only for the betatest nothing commercial)
-Some of your work (I saw good CV without any picture ;)

maxrelics : this video was made with Amapi, or other modeler (more CAD now). In our new software, it will be a lot more faster !

Thomas

lovisx
02-15-2005, 03:31 PM
what benefits are there for beta testsers. If none, why should someone be a beta tester and help you better your product if there is no compensation.

xtrudeh
02-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Why, for the high of it all, of course... :D

Totyo
02-17-2005, 02:53 PM
hehe ;)

lovisx : it's something I answer to the beta tester who send back their NDA... :)

DanSilverman
02-17-2005, 03:25 PM
How long does it take to get an email response? Its been a few days sinse I sent in mine.

Beechdbum
02-17-2005, 09:44 PM
yeh i havent gotten a responce back in a couple days either, so im guessing there just busy. im sure we will hear from them soon enough.

lovisx
02-17-2005, 10:50 PM
well I'm officially on board, thanks for keeping my attention, for the looks of what I'm seeing I would have missed out

Rezonance
02-20-2005, 04:45 PM
Just sent you and email and Pm. Hope I get on board!:p

Ollarin
02-21-2005, 02:02 AM
I sent in my app last week too. Still haven't got a reply. :/

Totyo
02-21-2005, 06:36 AM
as I said, I'll answer too all the emails, but please, concider I have a lot of email to answer.. and sometimes, I don't work the week end ;)

xtrudeh
02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Well, I certainly hope you all do a good job...

and... that Eovia is open to any and all suggestions, and that all is not cast in stone so to speak... :)

I use Carrara Studio 2 for much of my rendering... terrific renders... but...

when it comes to modeling, let's just say that I kinda feel that either someone walked around the Eovia office and bonked everybody with a huge logic stick, or....

we are simply looking at yet another app, put out by yet another group, who in the end, will defend their position on this that and the other thing.... come hell or high water...

the funny thing about these "modeling" apps... that a) there are modeling tools left out of a "modeling app", and/or b) almost as funny, the emphisis is placed so highly on a UI, when it is end user define that truly matters, and that clicking redundancy is taken right out of the picture through such definitions... yea yea, there are noob market's, but comeon, what's that got to do with carrying things all the way out so as the rest of us don't have to suffer with same noob UI ...

I kinda like Carrara's/Amapi's new extrusion tools, mouse movement/jesturing is the way to go, so long as hotkeys are easily user definable for axis constraining... so yea, extrude, move,scale all while just dragging and using mouse jesturing, a very quick way to model...

it's just the continual redundancy of the usual UI that really get's in the way of modeling with most products, Eovia being no different here, well that, and as well, the usual few tools missing, and just plain dumb lack of full end user define...

There's my opinion on this subject, let's see if things truly are written in stone, or not... :D

Good luck you guys, here's hoping you all end up with what it is you are looking for... that being one kick butt modeling app...

We await your results :)

Xevious
02-21-2005, 05:11 PM
I am an owner of Eovia's products (Amapi and Carrara). I think it would be a better idea to improve the modeller in Carrara instead of creating a whole new separate product.

Carrara's rendering engine is excellent but the polygon modeller is the pits. Its like having a really fast car with crappy tires.

ThomasMahler
02-21-2005, 08:44 PM
I am an owner of Eovia's products (Amapi and Carrara). I think it would be a better idea to improve the modeller in Carrara instead of creating a whole new separate product.

Carrara's rendering engine is excellent but the polygon modeller is the pits. Its like having a really fast car with crappy tires.

Haven't used Carrara or Amapi or something like that yet, but I could imagine that the base of the application maybe isn't layed out for modeling.

You know, I like having a seperate modeler. A modeler should be fast, it should have a nice, clean UI, tools that just let me flow inside of the modeler - It just should be a shear pleasure to work inside of a modeler.

Xevious
02-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Haven't used Carrara or Amapi or something like that yet, but I could imagine that the base of the application maybe isn't layed out for modeling.

You know, I like having a seperate modeler. A modeler should be fast, it should have a nice, clean UI, tools that just let me flow inside of the modeler - It just should be a shear pleasure to work inside of a modeler.

Actually Amapi is strictly a modeller. Its one of the strangest modellers on the market. You can make certain things on the fly (like tables, chairs, etc) but I prefer other programs for other things. Its worth a look.

Hazdaz
02-21-2005, 11:36 PM
I just recieved an email from TOTYO (or someone else from the company). It says to FAX over the completed form - however I am in the US, they are in France. Can I just email it back? - I rather not pay the overseas phone rates unless I really have to.

louisvottero
02-22-2005, 12:09 AM
you can scan your application and send it

gurubvin
02-22-2005, 01:20 AM
says u can scan and email in his email. tak a look again to be sure. but that's what i'm doin

Ollarin
02-22-2005, 02:56 AM
Yup, i just got the form too.

After signing it, does that mean i'm on the beta team? O_o

Geta-Ve
02-22-2005, 03:03 AM
bah i would go for this, but nda's are gay, i vow never to sign one, or make anyone sign one, and the fact i know nothing of this program..

screenie me man

ambient-whisper
02-22-2005, 06:43 AM
bah i would go for this, but nda's are gay, i vow never to sign one, or make anyone sign one, and the fact i know nothing of this program..

screenie me man

thats too bad. every job ive had, and every single beta program ive been in so far has required an nda. it sucks, but its not too hard to live with, because you often can share images, ideas with co-workers/users.

Totyo
02-22-2005, 07:05 AM
I also said that you can scan and email the NDA... not everybody have a fax ;)

For the NDA, it's an obligation, confidentiality is a really important thing on beta programs... and it's like the same in any job !

Totyo
02-22-2005, 07:06 AM
Hazdaz : humpf.. I may do a mistake if I sent you an email with a 'totyo' email avvount.. sorry ;)

DanSilverman
02-22-2005, 08:13 AM

If I remember correctly, Eovia did not create either Amapai or Carrara. At least not originally. As a result, Eovia may have been simply building upon the technology they aquired. Now they may want their own 3D application ... one that does not inherit the problems of the others that they had aquired.

Geta-Ve
02-22-2005, 10:09 AM
looks like im alone on the nda stance eh.... :p

ah well.. at the very least i vow never to make anyone sign one, ill make them sign a STAYD (share this and your dead) ^_^ simple rules, share "this" (this being the thing in question) and your "dead" (dead being really hurt, not living, painfully aware, etc)

soo whos first?

alright alright, so lets say i want to try this out? (we can pretend right?) And I sign this nda, (not that i know what nda's contain, other than limiting you to who you can show...) and lets say i want to quit in a few months? can i? well actually im not really asking, because if I want to I really will :p but how does that sort of thing sit with you?

like say i dont feel the program is really making any progress.. or im not happy with the direction its taking. you know.

also can I sign with a wacom? like if i dont have scanner/printer/digital camera/webcam/money for an internet cafe/money for a 10 cent fax/dont live in a house that is snail mail compatible...

Anyways what Im trying to say is sure if you want me Ill give it a go.

(i know im a retard)

ThomasMahler
02-22-2005, 07:34 PM
alright alright, so lets say i want to try this out? (we can pretend right?) And I sign this nda, (not that i know what nda's contain, other than limiting you to who you can show...) and lets say i want to quit in a few months? can i? well actually im not really asking, because if I want to I really will :p but how does that sort of thing sit with you?

Oh man, you really make up something here. You're not hired, you don't get payed or something. If the program totaly works against your idea of modeling, then you can still give suggestions or whatever to try making the program better than it currently is. There's already a lotta jazz going on in the Beta forums, very lively discussions - Beta testers should be there to tell the developers what THEY wanna see in a program, giving real world examples and try to give the developers a clear picture of how they'd love to work.

Alright, something different now:

Hey Martin, I hope you also signed for Beta-testing! I'm sure your thoughts would be a hell lot of inspiration for the developers. Since you're also a "I'm looking for the coolest tool I wanna work with, and if it takes the rest of my life" kinda person, I'd really love to read some of your thoughts in the forums! Take a heart and give it a go, man! :)

Geta-Ve
02-22-2005, 08:20 PM
ya man.. i was talking alot of... crap :p

anyways.. just curious you know .. not that i will get accepted anymore haha, ah well.

xtrudeh
02-22-2005, 08:37 PM
yes, I agree... Martin would be a very good for this... :)

Totyo
02-22-2005, 09:32 PM
Hey Martin, I hope you also signed for Beta-testing! I'm sure your thoughts would be a hell lot of inspiration for the developers.
I'm waiting his NDA Thomas ! You will be able to talk with him on the forum ;)

ThomasMahler
02-22-2005, 09:46 PM
That's great news for you guys! :)

Let's behead some bottles of champagne - Martin's always a great source of inspiration for me. Man, I love this dude, hehehe :)

xtrudeh
02-22-2005, 09:54 PM
ah, he's alright I guess ;) ;) :D

Geta-Ve
02-22-2005, 10:34 PM
ah, he's alright I guess ;) ;) :D

blasphemer!

lol hes great :thumbsup:

Renderman_XSI
02-23-2005, 12:31 AM
im interested...can we get some more info, beside what has been already mention?

Xevious
02-23-2005, 02:35 AM
If I remember correctly, Eovia did not create either Amapai or Carrara. At least not originally. As a result, Eovia may have been simply building upon the technology they aquired. Now they may want their own 3D application ... one that does not inherit the problems of the others that they had aquired.

Well, you are half-right. Eovia bought Carrara from Metacreations. Afterwards, Eovia was bought out by TGS - who are the creators of Amapi.

Also, one of the original founders of Eovia, used to create plugins for the Metacreations version of Carrara.

So thats the short story.

Hazdaz
02-23-2005, 03:14 AM
Hazdaz : humpf.. I may do a mistake if I sent you an email with a 'totyo' email avvount.. sorry ;)

I actually think the previous email was with that account - but the NDA was sent with a eovia.fr account - I just sent back the signed NDA.

Renderman_XSI
02-23-2005, 02:29 PM
How long does it take Thomas to reply ;P. Hope this new app was made with box modeling in mind,..no poly by poly modeling for me thank you!

Totyo
02-23-2005, 02:50 PM
I try to answer when I can :) And I already answer you :p
I have to answer all the request and continue my daily job, not always easy !!

Rezonance
02-24-2005, 01:31 AM
Mabey it would be a good idea to post a bit more about the contract terms and some of the other things I asked you about in the mail I sent you (I am waiting for the reply to my other mail :sad: hehe) . I think people feel a bit intimidated about signing a contract with a big company when they dont know quite what is going on.

From what I have seen (from emailing Totyo) it seems quite fair so far, you can get out any time you want to and there is other stuff which seems cool but I dont want to post anything about what he said because I am not sure if what he said in the mail is meant for the public (I am already loving being secretive, kind makes me feel like part of the CG secret service:)!hehe) . Once Totyo mails me back and if things are cool, I think I will more then likely sign up.

Ollarin
02-24-2005, 05:32 AM
I just sent in the signed NDA.

Can't wait to try it out! :D

Renderman_XSI
02-24-2005, 06:10 AM
I just sent in the signed NDA.

Can't wait to try it out! :D

me too, i just email the scanned NDA ,signed and all. I'd to test it with some projects.

;P you wont be "trying" it, your gonna test it to the extreme..

Rezonance
02-24-2005, 11:23 AM
Cool, got a reply from Thomas!:thumbsup:

Ollarin
02-25-2005, 04:59 AM
;P you wont be "trying" it, your gonna test it to the extreme..
Err...Yes. That's what i meant. :p

I still haven't got a reply. Then again, i shouldn't complain, Thomas is probably getting a million emails a day. :p

Renderman_XSI
02-25-2005, 06:14 AM
Yup his pretty busy, from what i gather. Im waiting for him to activate my beta forum account ;)

Thomas, i think i sent my e-mail to this addy: thomas@eovia.com

sorry for the confusion.

Totyo
02-25-2005, 07:04 AM
I'll answer to all the request.. but I stop this morning.

now, all the new requests I'll receive, I'll answer only if I have a little time or if I think they are really interesting. (actually, it took me too much time and we already have all the betatesters needed...)
And thanks a lot for all of yours who apply !

Ollarin
02-25-2005, 07:24 AM
now, all the new requests I'll receive, I'll answer only if I have a little time or if I think they are really interesting. (actually, it took me too much time and we already have all the betatesters needed...)
And thanks a lot for all of yours who apply !
Does this mean the NDA i signed and sent in was rejected?

Meh. I was looking forward to beta testing. :/

Totyo
02-25-2005, 07:34 AM
no, it means that I will answer to your email, but not the new ones ;)

Rezonance
02-25-2005, 08:58 AM
Hope I get a reply! Sent all the needed info last night. :bounce:

Ollarin
02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
no, it means that I will answer to your email, but not the new ones
Wooohoo! *Does dance*

Thanks Thomas! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-25-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.