PDA

View Full Version : EA Looking to Increase Stake in UbiSoft

RobertoOrtiz
02-10-2005, 07:42 PM
Quote:
" the world's largest video game maker, may add to its almost 20 percent stake in France's Ubisoft and seek representation on its board, the U.S. company reiterated on Wednesday."

>>Link<< (http://www.reuters.com/financeNewsArticle.jhtml;JMNTFDDLQGNJQCRBAEZSFEY?type=mergersNews&storyID=7583228&section=investing)

-R

alexyork
02-10-2005, 09:51 PM
ooh they pulled the article...

cloak and daggers, anyone? :deal:

jackburton
02-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Article's still there. EA seems to have forgotten they're a game company. Hopefully EA will eventually become so large and unweildy that it'll just eat itself.

(...)
02-11-2005, 12:07 PM
Hopefully EA will eventually become so large and unweildy that it'll just eat itself

...and put all those CG artists out of the job? Whose side are you on?

M.E.L.
02-11-2005, 12:48 PM
Article's still there. EA seems to have forgotten they're a game company. Hopefully EA will eventually become so large and unweildy that it'll just eat itself.

Please try to understand the fact that EA still maintains its situated position as a games studio. The moves made by EA are exactly what any other competitive company WOULD BE DOING given the same resources and situations. Call it lowballing, call it corporate takeover, call it a monopoly all you want, at the end of the day it's smart business. How far do you want to see the next generation of games go?

I'm no EA fanboy or anything, but c'mon...enough with the whole EA bashing already.

MndWrp
02-11-2005, 03:07 PM
...enough with the whole EA bashing already

having worked for EA.. and subsequently quit because of how they treat people .. i say keep on bashing ! EA is the MCdonalds of the video game industry and should be treated as such

just my 2 cents

M.E.L.
02-11-2005, 03:16 PM
I take it you worked at the Montreal facility? Which tentatively I have never heard much good things about really...

If there is personal reasoning behind the distaste then so be it, but EA is not so much a "whole" as you have to witness each separate studio to understand the differences that they actually do have. Also, what is the true purposefulness of bashing a company like EA on such boards, does it help people get through their day?

This whole "fight the power" attitude is getting really old :rolleyes:

kwshipman
02-11-2005, 03:34 PM
This whole "fight the power" attitude is getting really old :rolleyes:

you're right, we should just not say anything and look the other way when a company misstreats it's employees, creates a monopoly that forces other companies out of business, and forcefully takes over other companies when it wants.

All praise be to EA!

M.E.L.
02-11-2005, 03:46 PM
you're right, we should just not say anything and look the other way when a company misstreats it's employees, creates a monopoly that forces other companies out of business, and forcefully takes over other companies when it wants.

All praise be to EA!

My question to you is, have you worked at EA or have you ever been to one of their facilities for extended stay?

How is EA forcing other companies out of business? Blackbox was purchased and their employees were brought in, Renderware was purchased as well and their employees were welcomed into EA as well.

I am more than open to hearing your response on the matter and seeing proven points on your accusations :)

Welcome to the world of business, people gotta eat and the first one to the troff will reap the benefits.

jackburton
02-11-2005, 06:13 PM
It's not that I'd hope people lose thier jobs. I'm saying EA is becoming a bloated and massive corporation with all the waste and buracracy that entails. Now EA is attempting to undermine the second largest company in the field by throwing money around instead of throwing that money at, say, game development or wages. That may prove a poor decision in the long run, creating an unweildy corporate monopoly that can't adapt in the marketplace. The games industry as a whole will see many changes over the next few years, if EA can't adapt it will sink under that weight. I'm sure smart buissness will win out over creativity and innovation, but that's gone on for a long time. People will still buy Madden, but at what cost to the artists and people at the bottom who create the product. If EA is the sole purveyor of games that would affect a lot more artists than EA eating itself. Just to compete other publishers have to close development studios, a process that's already underway. The problem isn't just EA either, it's the even worse managment of other publishers that contributes to the situation. It'll be interesting to see how this complex situation shakes out but, unfortunately, it looks like the people who'll lose out in this case will be the ones who actually care about the quality of games.

CGTalk Moderation
02-11-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.