PDA

View Full Version : Help simulating crowd at a football match

torbjorn
02-10-2005, 04:15 PM
hey there, i have a question, and one question only. i use max, after effects, and premiere. i thought of making a scene where i've used real football players against a bluescreen for example, and then i want to add a 3d scene of a stadium, where i have a lot of people/audience sitting and standing on the barge...

question: how would you do to create an effects of thousands of people cheering a football game...think crazy liverpool supporters (excuse me folks from U.K ;)

beaker
02-11-2005, 06:16 AM
Film a bunch of small groups of people in front of green screens pretending to be at a game. Then put them on 2d cards as texture maps and mix and match them.

torbjorn
02-11-2005, 08:32 AM
Sounds like the way to do it!! ;) Thanks! I guess i have to film each row by itself, and depending on the rows of seats i just add enough imageplanes...would it work with stillimages? and if so, where to find a still with many people cheering on a game, taken from the front... (i've tried google)

Wizdoc
02-13-2005, 02:46 PM
One possibility is to make several low-res characters with some basic animation and then just instance them to make an entire audience. It's like making grass, birds or other parameter controlled bunch of invidual "flocking" objects. There's plenty of good examples in the Max help files and some tutorials on the net. Search for "instancing" and "crowd simulation".

Advantage to this over the greenscreen photography is that you don't have to match perspective beforehand. Of course, the CGI audience doesn't hold up for a close scrutiny, but for wider shots, you have a bit more freedom and don't have to reshoot any live plates if you decide to change the setup later.

If simple painted cotton swabs worked for a film-resolution of Episode I, I don't think there's any need to model or photograph each individual audience member, for wide master shots at least.

ktamiola
02-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Hi...

Other option is to use XSI Behavior 2.0 . It is a very powerfull tool however You need XSI 4.2 Advanced to prepare whole simulation.

Good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
02-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.