PDA

View Full Version : Animation: Gorilla

Giant
02-10-2005, 03:30 PM
Hey all,

Some of you might have seen a Gorilla I was working on in the WIP section of cgTalk. Here is the animation completed. Let me know what you think, and what I could do better for the future.

http://www.cgcraft.com/JobsintheUS/jobsinvt_sm.mov

thank you,

Giant

marc_lauper
02-15-2005, 09:02 AM
Hey Giant
Nice one! I really like the furniture and the background after the wall is broken. :)

And I have some crits, as well ;):
What I don't like is the floor and the wall... their colors don't fit the scheme of the furniture and the background. Cooler tones would be better... at least I think so. And I guess I would use much less ambient/fill light in that shot. So you would really focus on the char and the furniture wheras the room would recede into the background (the cooler color also would help with that).

cheers
marc

and a little question: why did you bought orinatrix and not hairFX?

HenningK
02-17-2005, 12:43 AM
Cool character.
Fix up the camera motion, its really terrible... quick moves, smooth in and out, and keep it static most of the time so we can see the animation of the character (which is nice).
-henning

Pinet
02-17-2005, 05:03 AM
hehe i like the dance move,
I guess you praticed a bit to do it :D
When he step back after he smashed the chair off the wall, i think its quick for that big dude!
and when hes right arm is about to touch the floor, its moves back quick too!
I would have liked to see it more heavy looking :)

Neil
02-17-2005, 05:17 AM
The animation is pretty good, the lighting makes the video overall look really poor. It looks like a single spot light with little falloff. I also agree that he jumps up into a "pose" too quickly.
Last but not least, the camera zoom is annoying espeically when the audio kicks in before he even listens to the phone.
But his dance moves are stylin and his foot work is pretty smooth ;)

Giant
02-17-2005, 02:14 PM
Marc Lauper: It seems my lighting is a bit off on the entire piece. I know that is a severe week point in my cg work. So to get feedback is great. There are two fill lights coming in from the on the gorilla's left-side. There are also some omni lights in front of the gorilla, lower to the floor...come to think of it. Was simulating light bouncing off the wood floor.

I went with Ornatrix because I had used Shag: Hair several years back and remember being very frustrated with it. Go to the Ornatrix site and download a demo, and you will see why. It is in Beta right now, and Marsel helped me a ton in working out some issues that we found out along the way. Overall, Ephere and Ornatrix is the team to be with right now.

HenningK: Terrible? yeah...I agree. The more I look at it the more I feel like there is too much going on in a 10 second clip. Here is a problem that I have. I storyboarded and had the client approve all of the shots that you see now. A distance shot needs to take place with a camera truck in, when that phone rings. The reason the camera pans right a bit while he is dancing is that I need to frame up the logo to get ready to zoom into it for the final shot. The reason we did this is so that we did not have to fade in a logo, hold it for 3 seconds, and then perhaps fade out. The bookend commerical just did not have that much time. What would you suggest, at what parts in order to make this smoother. You think just work with the curves from each major position? Let me know and I will work on that for sure.

Pinet: Thanx for the dance compliments. I thought the animation was going to be my biggest bottleneck. Seems not! I am glad to have grown a bit in animating this character. I still have a long way to go. Weighting is something that I need to work with, and this is really a great character to do it with, because of his size. I agree with the stepback now that I look at it. The motion is correct, but it happens too quickly. Let me see what I can do. All in all, how would you make him appear more heavy?

Neil: You are about correct on the lighting. One key coming in on his right side, two fills from the left, some omni lights in front of him closer to the ground. When the wall breaks a volumetric spot comes in from outside. Then there is the billboard lighting and the outdoor lights. "makes the video look really poor". Ouch..ok, what do you suggest that I do, in order to make this better. I think to the client it looks great, but my biggest respect and learning comes from you guys helping me understand what I have done wrong. As stated above, lighting is something I know makes or breaks a piece, and perhaps I have broken this. So please help me get this right. I respect all of your professional opinions!

So you do not like the upright bass playing before he jumps into pose. You think once he lands on the ground that is when the audio should come in?

keep em coming, this is good...

Giant

Giant
02-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Last but not least...the commercial is already due to run on TV in a week or so in several New England states. I will get permission from the client at this point to alter the project with the suggestions noted above, as this is part of the contract, since the project has been considered "delivered". If I am allowed, I can resend revised commercials to the stations...

Neil
02-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Ouch..ok, what do you suggest that I do, in order to make this better.

I just suggest you pull the light out a ways that way more of the room is lite. Instead of just a little spot light on him. Not too complicated of a fix. Your fill lights could even be increased a little in brightness.

Pinet
02-21-2005, 08:19 PM
well for the weight, you could make him recover longer from his movements, or just be more affected by gravity. if he moves fast, like if he pull his arm to the back quick, just imagine that his arm is so heavy that it slowly tries to continue going with the speed, and going a bit down because of gravity. Also applies when his arms balance

Sorry if this is incomprehensive, its hard to explain! :P
http://www.yeahthemovie.de/html/index_nur_html.htm
Dunno if this can be good for you but anyways..
Im not a good teacher! animation master neither.. :_(

LonTree
02-22-2005, 09:27 AM
hey pal, as said before, nice character
think about some eye animation, that brings a lot of life
also, when he picks up the phone, his smile stays. maybe animate the mouth a little more?
luck!

CGTalk Moderation
02-22-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.