PDA

View Full Version : Animal Painting

dvz
02-10-2005, 03:08 PM
Hello all !
I am new into this forum , and this here is one of my first paintings. For now it doesnīt looks real good , but i hope someone can please give me some feedback , or some tips to make it look better / realistic.

Many thanks !

http://dfs.interruption.de/dvz_dog.jpg

Espen
02-10-2005, 05:14 PM
Hi dvz,
good that you decided to post your work! Well, there is a lot to do and a long way to go. But this is why u posted I guess. First let's find out what you mean by "realistic". Do you mean that u want to paint a realistic looking dog from a specific dog breed or a fantasy / cartoony type of dog, that is just shaded in a realistic manner with materials/surfaces appearing to be real?

If you want to paint the first type of dog, you have to start over completely. At the moment it looks more like a mixture between polar bear and panther than a dog. The head is much to big and the legs have no realistic angles and bone arrangement at all. Look at Animal anatomy drawings and study the proportions and the specific anatomy needed. This would be the first step: think about proportions and volumes in 3D space...

If you go for the second approach, it's easier and more difficult at the same time. You can do what u want. What counts is the interesting and maybe funny picture only. If you want to draw a dog that is a mixture between bear and panther do so. But then the design should be kind of interesting, funny, strange - well something...

Keep on going!
Greetingz
ESPEN

btw: have a look at my Thread Mr.Fat Cat! (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=204859) There I painted a Cat that looks a bit like a sqirrel. :)

dvz
02-10-2005, 06:29 PM
At the moment it looks more like a mixture between polar bear and panther than a dog
;) yeah i donīt know exactly what kind of animal it is .. my start idea originally was a panther .. but after a while it looked more and more like a weird dog.

As next I will try to "fix" the legs and the face, because they donīt really look good.

Many thanks for your reply Espen ! :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.