PDA

View Full Version : MR Area Lights

ajsfuxor
02-10-2005, 06:42 AM
Hi y'all

I was wondering what attribute controls the softness of the shadows in a MR area light when you are using raytraced shadows? I want to cast hard edges shadows that generally occur outdoors on a sunny day.

Thanks

Stahlberg
02-10-2005, 06:45 AM
The bigger the light, the softer the shadows. For completely hard shadows I'd recommend a directional light, added bonus the light rays are parallell just like sunlight.

ajsfuxor
02-10-2005, 06:47 AM
hmmm....i was afraid of that....

I like the softer look of area lights better than directional though.

I spose my render times would decrease massively if i used a directional ;)

twistedpoly
02-10-2005, 07:35 AM
i was wondering the same thing.always when i'm rendering with MR area light and FG i get really smooth shadows. These shadows are mostly too smooth for me.

So the sharpnes of the shadows is really controlled by the physhical size of mr areal light in maya??because that sounds a bit strange, at least for me.

cpan
02-10-2005, 07:45 AM
yeap, resize the light shape to get softer shadows. Oh and to save render time set the MR Area Light settings properly (see the help)

Stahlberg
02-10-2005, 08:42 AM
So the sharpnes of the shadows is really controlled by the physhical size of mr areal light in maya??because that sounds a bit strange, at least for me.

Same thing with the old Maya area light, just like what would happen in real life with a light emitting rectangle. Scale it, and the green wireframe shows the actual size and direction of the light, how can it be more clear, interactive and easy? :)

twistedpoly
02-10-2005, 09:15 AM
ok thanks:)

slipknot66
02-10-2005, 09:58 AM
But what i think you need its not the effect of the area light, you could achieve the effect of softedges, changing the lightradius and lightrays under the raytraced shadows attributes.So you dont need to convert your light to a MR area light, you can use a spotlight or even a directional light.:)

joie
02-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Why not use an "only shadow" light?, use your MR light but without shadows, and then put another spot light with only shadows and not light contribution, thatīs it, simple.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.