PDA

View Full Version : Local Computer Shops...

JDex
02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Well, today I finally diagnosed a major problem I have been having with my Workstation... it turns out my AGP slot has fritzed on me (if any one knows some voodoo magic I can use to re-incarnate please share)... so before going online and placing my order for a replacement, I figured I would stop by a few shops to see, on a wing and a prayer, if they happened to have a replacement mobo on the shelves (Tyan Tiger MPX, Dual MP).

I knew it was a real longshot, but I figured it would be mutually advantageous if I found one, as they are not likely to sell it, and I will save the shipping and the wait (and perhaps a few dollars).

So the first few were a no go, I decided as I was driving by to stop at CompUSA... the kid at the tech-service desk said "What's a dual processor?"... I literally lost all control over social graces and pointed and laughed... Anywho, I left checked a few more stores and as expected had no luck... the last one was one that I figured I had a 50/50 chance on... in the past they have had dual P3 Xeon boards (long ago, but hey worth a shot)...

I get there and the guy is guiding some newb through boot XP from the disc for a re-install... I browsed his displays waiting patiently and eventually he got off the phone... I asked him about the mobo and he said "You're in luck!" Apparently some guy had purchased one new and returned it a few hours later un-opened because his wife had had a fit... at least this was the story... then the guy said as he came back up front with it that because he wasn't likely to sell it, and since he'd already gotten a 15% restocking fee he'd cut me a deal... I was like "How much?"... he said $450.00... I said "American?"

This guy was out of his bloody mind. I mean the one I am replacing was only $235 and this was when it was still current and in steady demand... what the hell was this guy thinking... I mean I am certainly not some stoner with my first computer. I can't imagine the gaul and arrogance that goes into the decision to charge someone a 100%+ markup on something that you have a 1% chance of getting rid of in the first place... I think I'm just going to forget that these little shops even exist...

Anywho, just thought I would share.

YankyBJeans
02-09-2005, 11:23 PM
situations like that are why i buy just about everything that i can online. things are usually cheaper and i find that often i get better service, without having dealt with a single real person on my end. maybe im just tired of retards and their lack of ability to deal with real life situations.

good luck finding the board you need.

yanky

JDex
02-09-2005, 11:27 PM
$179 at Monarch... LOL

Maven
02-10-2005, 12:56 AM
You will find alot of missinformed people working at CompUSA. I hate that store...but I always find my self in it for some reason...strange.:shrug:

pgp_protector
02-10-2005, 01:08 AM
You will find alot of missinformed people working at CompUSA. I hate that store...but I always find my self in it for some reason...strange.:shrug:

CompUSA, Fry's Electronics, and others of there Ilk are great if you know what you want.

And at times you can get a GREAT deal from em (Got my 20Gig MP3 player for $35 Bucks), but if you want there help for anything above the basics, Great luck in that, Yes there are a few working in there stores that know there stuff, but it appears like most of the time, it's just someone with there first job :)

FYI more than once I've had to help a mis-directed customer, and one time I even had a que of people wating for my help :D

lots
02-10-2005, 06:01 AM
The amusing thing about Monarch is they're usually the most expencive online retailer i look at :)

Though i do get free overnight shipping from them :) Helps to live just 4 hrs away :P

jscott
02-10-2005, 06:23 AM
That sucks JDex some people are so freaking greedy and assume everyone else is too stupid to know any better.

I luckily have a good local shop I can call if need something. I called one day on a Friday around 2:45pm. Asked him about an Athlon XP 3200+ so I could upgrade my 2500+. He gave me a price that was about $50 more than I could order it from Newegg for before shipping. He tells me hold on a min, the place I order from can have it on Monday if I get the order in by 3:00pm. I say go ahead. Sure enough Monday he calls me at like 12:00pm. "I got your processor" come on over and I'll install it for you (no charge). Then to boot he buys my old processor off me for $50 bucks saving me the aggrivation of unloading it myself.

Did he make money off this deal. Yes.
Did I get service for my money. Yes.

BTW I hate installing Athlon processors that's mostly why I let him get it for me. The damn clip on that heatsink drives me nuts. I almost ruined my MB installing the origional 2500+. On a side note on the same Friday I ordered a 512 MB module from Newegg to upgrade my memory. I payed for 2nd day air and the damn thing didn't arrive until Thursday I think.

later,

-jscott

trask
02-15-2005, 09:02 PM
BTW I hate installing Athlon processors that's mostly why I let him get it for me. The damn clip on that heatsink drives me nuts.

LOL. oh god, i hear that. I almost put a screwdriver through my motherboard jacking with that damn thing. Seriously, What were they thinking when they designed that?

lots
02-15-2005, 09:26 PM
I find installing those heatsinks while the mobo is outside of the case is the easiest way to do it. Due to the nice, flat surface a workbench would provide ;) Also, I buy motherboards where the clip on the heatsink is on the edge of the board where no damage can be done ;)

As for the newegg shipping by air: I find ground to be the best way to ship. Its cheap and fast. I find I recieve stuff from newegg in about 3 to 4 days (depending on when I place the order) with the standard ground.

rswanson
02-15-2005, 09:41 PM
JDex,

The reason for the mark up is pretty simple. YankyBJeans's comment pretty much sums it up: Everyone buys online. Retail shops have max out profit on the few sales they do make just to stay in business. Their prices often border on, or venture into, price gouging. Its the same scenario as mom-and-pop shops versus big-box stores like WalMart and BestBuy.

Why anyone would try to open a specialty retail store is beyond me. I worked on the retail/trade end of a specialty market (gaming) for a major manufacturer for a long time, so i've seen this in just about every iteration imaginable. Retail is a brutal place to make your bread.

DDS
02-16-2005, 07:45 PM
I surely prefer online shops than others, mainly because of the price, also you can always find the last products.

But when it comes to computer, where Newegg is very good, i find that this one only ships in US, and much others too. Any GOOD online shop that ships in Europe? (I'm really asking for something good like newegg where I can invest money, time and confidence on them)

thanks!

kex
02-17-2005, 12:24 AM
i have watched some one destroy a mobo with those dam athlon heatsinks the screw driver just went straight to the mobos heart.

the old gal never did boot again http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/sad.gif

allenlikewo
02-17-2005, 04:54 PM
Typically I do not buy from local stores. But they do have their advantages. For example, I would never buy a $10 NIC online or a spindle of CDRWs. For the most part when I do buy locally it is from Fry’s because they have just about everything, no shipping, they price match, and they are very awesome about returns/exchanges.

But just about anywhere else sucks, especially CompUSA. Small mom & pop spots will pretty much always overcharge you. My guess is that half of them purchase their “special orders” form the same websites that we use.

JDex
02-17-2005, 05:37 PM
Well that may be... but the reality of economics would dictate that if you own a shop... have an item in stock that the odds of ever selling are almost non-existant, you would be happy to take the sale at any price at or above your costs. If I had already made a 15% restocking fee (on lets say a $250 sale)... and the purchase cost was $200... For the chance not to take a loss I would certainly be happy to take $200 with $37.50 room for negotiation. If he had offered the board at $215 I would have happily taken it. I would have gotten the board immediately and he would have made a few dollars (far better than the reality of him being out $200 total and being the proud owner of a obselete board).

I have worked retail, in management... I also have family members who own shops and they certainly would not have tried the shit this shop tried.

alexyork
02-17-2005, 11:46 PM
I just gave up buying stuff from shops years ago. I don't even buy clothes from shops unless it's something expensive where I need to try it on first.

The only computer gear I ever buy from a shop is wires and other small gadgetry. Hardware, software, media etc - no thanks. Only problem with that is shipping. I usually get around that problem by waiting until I have several things to buy. Eg. If I need a new optical drive, I'll wait until I need some DVD-Rs, a new USB key and a screen wipe or something, then order the lot, making the shipping less painful.

I just can't stand being talked at by some 4-foot-nothing social-studies kid in a suit that doesn't fit him, trying to convince me that I need a new joystick to go with my laptop, cos they r0xx0r!

Get me a damn professional!

CGTalk Moderation
02-18-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.