PDA

View Full Version : New Captain Scarlet starts in the UK on Sat 12th!

Aegis Prime
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
Gerry Anderson's New Captain Scarlet begins screening in the UK on Saturday 12th February as part of ITV's "Ministry of Mayhem" programming - the show starts at 9:30am so set your alarm clocks :D :D :D

The official New Captain Scarlet website (http://www.captainscarlet.com)

Fanderson's article on the UK launch (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/news.html#NCS%20Premiere)

Fanderson's episode guide (http://www.fanderson.org.uk/epguides/ncseg1.html)

AndyH
02-09-2005, 10:06 PM
Excellent!
Ive been looking forward to this for a while now - but 9:30 on a saturday??
Top spot as far as ratings and exposure goes, but not so good for us aeging, hungover fools...
*Grumble Grumble.....

I know 4 or 5 people who work at cappy scarlet, so it should be intresting to see the fruits of their (and everyone elses) labour.

Best of luck with the project.

Must remember to watch!
Must remember to watch!
Must remember to watch!
Must remember to watch!
:banghead:

andrewley
02-09-2005, 10:19 PM
I hope this is good. We could use a successful production in the UK. The animation in the trailer looked a little rough in places so I hope that won't be an issue.

Aegis Prime
02-09-2005, 10:37 PM
Here's a few pics from the official website that you may not have seen yet...

Pilchard
02-09-2005, 10:48 PM
I hope this is good. We could use a successful production in the UK. The animation in the trailer looked a little rough in places so I hope that won't be an issue.

I was told they were going to re-visit the 1st episode and up it to the quality of the later episodes. That was back in August when I did some Work experience there. Will check it out.

;)

mattmos
02-10-2005, 10:50 AM
Nice work on the stills, the lighting in particular seems very cinematic, a definite improvement on the trailer. Hope to see some more :)

playmesumch00ns
02-10-2005, 11:42 AM
Looking forward to this! Have to remember to set the video as I'll most likely be at work :(

Pilchard
02-10-2005, 02:07 PM
Hey Andy BTW, don't know if ya remember me It's Rich The tall guy from ravensbourne who just loved to beaver (cough). How did the episode turn out?

AndyH
02-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Hey Andy BTW, don't know if ya remember me It's Rich The tall guy from ravensbourne who just loved to beaver (cough). How did the episode turn out?

Umm... doesnt ring a bell, and I didnt work on cappy scarlet.
Have you got the wrong Andy? Im ex- synthetic dimensions/ 3d Films Andy....

Pilchard
02-10-2005, 03:25 PM
Umm... doesnt ring a bell, and I didnt work on cappy scarlet.
Have you got the wrong Andy? Im ex- synthetic dimensions/ 3d Films Andy....

Hey dude! I meant Aegis Prime (member.php?u=66381), his name's Andy too! :)

woodyradica
02-10-2005, 04:02 PM
I cant wait to see how this has all turned out....... Guess an early morning Alarm on saterday.. :-)

Pilchard
02-11-2005, 12:23 AM
I cant wait to see how this has all turned out....... Guess an early morning Alarm on saterday.. :-)

That's what Sky+ if for :)

Bliz
02-11-2005, 09:47 AM
Ministery Of Mayhem starts at 9:30am but I've been told that the show itself starts about 10:30am.

So that's an extra hour in bed for those lucky enough to have a hangover.

But it's probably best to set your vid. for 9:30 incase they play with the running order.

ok - just heard it'll be 10:25am

(...)
02-12-2005, 10:46 AM
I'm watching it right now. I like it, but I hate this "Ministry of Mayhem" show that they built around it.

The modelling is very well done (especially the backgrounds), the quality of animation varies from shot to shot, but someone needs to look at the lighting.

All in all, in terms of CG cartoons, it's better than Max Steel, worse than Starship Troopers.

halo
02-12-2005, 11:05 AM
MoM has always been there, they just buy stuff like this in.

Pretty good me thinks, the animation being the weakest point.

RoryWoodford
02-12-2005, 01:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wait for episodes 3 and 4, originally designated eps' 5 and 10 (Swarm and Rat Trap). These episodes were created when the studio had gotten into the stride of things, and they are two of our best episodes. The comping is better and more film like, the animation is much improved, and the lighting is far superior, we started incorperating the "spinny light" technique for a more radiosity feel.

Surprised at today's screening of episode 1, there was a cool fight in the hanger bay were blue is chasing scarlet, just before scarlet ejects out of skybase. The fight had great martial art, motion captured, round houses and the sort. That and they cut our credits out. :(

Other than that it looked great on TV :)

Steve Green
02-12-2005, 02:05 PM
I'll be interested to see how the show looks a couple of episodes in - one thing that did strike me in the pilot was that the compositing was pretty straightforward, there wasn't much in the way of bright areas bleeding around the foreground elements. (E.g. The guy waiting for the limo with the headlights behind him)

It's a shame programmes get treated so poorly these days, e.g. breaking them up into chunks, cutting credits, logos or tickers over the top of them, you have to wait for DVD these days to see them at their best...

But maybe that's just the old fart in me talking...

- Steve

commanderdanger
02-12-2005, 03:49 PM
You must be aware that the first two episodes were created on an older setup

adboy
02-12-2005, 09:39 PM
These episodes were created when the studio had gotten into the stride of things

we have a stride??!! i thought i was just an insane panicing sprint :)

but your right, the difference between the first 2 and the next are like night and day
not sure i like this waking up early to watch them tho?!

kromekat
02-13-2005, 12:15 AM
Well guys, I was impressed!

Sure the animation was variable, and I am not entirely sure of the face of the lead Angel, but otherwise, very impressive I think - some great camera work, and the landscaping and look of that car chase was pretty hot! :)

MoM is PITA - can't bear it! - I will try to keep watching out for the next episodes though, and I think I am in for a DVD :)

Just wish you guys used other packages (Cinema 4D etc) or I'd have applied for one of those modeling/texturing jobs at Pinewood! ;)

leigh
02-13-2005, 02:57 AM
Hey Guys,

Just wait for episodes 3 and 4, originally designated eps' 5 and 10 (Swarm and Rat Trap). These episodes were created when the studio had gotten into the stride of things, and they are two of our best episodes. The comping is better and more film like, the animation is much improved, and the lighting is far superior, we started incorperating the "spinny light" technique for a more radiosity feel.

Surprised at today's screening of episode 1, there was a cool fight in the hanger bay were blue is chasing scarlet, just before scarlet ejects out of skybase. The fight had great martial art, motion captured, round houses and the sort. That and they cut our credits out. :(

Other than that it looked great on TV :)

Rory! Hey man, long time no hear! :D I didn't know you were on this show... drop me a line sometime and say howzit!!

HowardM
02-14-2005, 08:39 PM
:bounce:
Just watch, each episode gets better and better!

weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
:p

Mahlon
02-15-2005, 02:26 AM
Awwww, man. When will we get it Stateside?

Mahlon

Aegis Prime
02-15-2005, 07:58 AM
Sony have the international rights, so soon hopefully :thumbsup:

halo
02-15-2005, 09:11 AM
it would good to get an article done on this...so often we're treated to the cine side of things, a production like this must offer some different insights in comparison.

commanderdanger
02-15-2005, 11:19 AM
If you are unhappy about the fact that Captain Scarlet is being shown on MoM or that they have cut the show in half you can email these guys: dutyoffice@itv.com (dutyoffice@itv.com)

I did, I think its rediculous that something as fresh as this show is being treated in such a bad way.

adboy
02-15-2005, 02:28 PM
what kinda stuff do u want to know?

andrewley
02-15-2005, 03:12 PM
I really enjoyed it. A few minor animation problems but considering the large number of action shots, characters, vehicles, props and environments I think you guys put together a fantastic first episode.

I think it was better than Max Steel, Dan Dare and Troopers which, I think, are the only comparable productions.

Congrats guys!

crazy3dman
02-15-2005, 03:22 PM
That looks pretty cool. Hope we get it in the U.S. sometime.

OzzieJ
02-18-2005, 05:08 AM
Hoping we get it down in Oz sometime soon too... was surprised when I got an email about UK airdates as it was originally slated for September - Hi Rory, Andy, Adrian and Bliz - things still manic I trust?
Josh (ex Scarlet Slave/Slavedriver)

tazy7
02-18-2005, 10:05 AM
Thank you for creating an excellant 3d version of one of my all time fav programs, the work to go into something on this scale must be imense.

Couple of questions, where are the other Angels? why is lieutenant green female now is just P.C reasons? and finally

WHEN IS JOE90 GONNA BE DONE 3d ??

that show i think is even better then captain scarlet!!:bounce:

Bliz
02-18-2005, 10:36 AM
Fairly manic Josh, fairly manic :)

How's it going with you?

Clanger
02-18-2005, 11:26 AM
WHEN IS JOE90 GONNA BE DONE 3d ??

Hell yeah! I loved Joe 90, got a soft spot for Fireball XL5 as well.
Now if only they brought back 'Muffin the mule' but I think that's illegal now.

Mahlon
02-18-2005, 09:56 PM
yep, joe 90 fairly rocks.

andrewley
02-19-2005, 11:37 AM
Just saw the second episode - again - good stuff. The vehicle designs are really cool.

Aegis Prime
02-19-2005, 08:28 PM
And MoM have cut out that awful 15 minute competition break in the middle of the show - Scarlet gets a pretty uninterrupted run now with only one ad break... :thumbsup:

specialbrew
02-19-2005, 11:54 PM
I was really wary of this - treasured childhood memories n' all - but I thought most of the vehicle design was absolutely spot on and a worthy nod to the original's design aesethtic. There was one sequence in particular, a sort of 'golden hour' shot of the SPV transport taking off from a rooftop of some kind, which I thought was absolutely breathtaking: Spectrum is Green!!!

Steve Green
02-19-2005, 11:59 PM
It certainly makes it easier to catch now that's in more of a continuous block, It's just a shame that they run those scrolling competition banners etc. over the top of the show.

No credits is a bit of a slap in the face of those who worked on it as well.

- Steve

Aegis Prime
02-20-2005, 09:18 AM
No credits is a bit of a slap in the face of those who worked on it as well.

Don't get me started... :sad:

adboy
02-20-2005, 11:23 AM
the shows only get better

make sure u watch next week

something from ozziej's team and its quality

jackal2513
02-20-2005, 11:30 AM
"and they are two of our best episodes"

*chokes on Rich Tea*

:rolleyes:

jackal2513
02-20-2005, 11:39 AM
oh, and on a more serious note, just to add that although portions of episode2 (the end Tank sequence and the truck/rhino/canyon section) hinted at where we are at now:

1) the animation/lipsynch in ep2 was still dreadful
2) none of the shots in ep1&2 were actually properly composited and treated for a more stylistic and cinematic feel ... we did not have a concrete comping pipeline then.
3) the hair and character models were still very much old legacy pipeline material

So as far as i'm concerned, the transmission of Capt Scarlet starts next saturday... viewers will notice a BIG jump. And then of course a big leap again in the second series come the Autumn.

Aegis Prime
02-20-2005, 11:48 AM
And then of course a big leap again in the second series come the Autumn.

...assuming we can get our TD's to stop hanging out on CGTalk and actually finish it... :D :D :D :D

colkai
02-20-2005, 09:54 PM
...assuming we can get our TD's to stop hanging out on CGTalk and actually finish it...

Yeah, like that's gonna happen ;) :p

tazy7
02-20-2005, 11:26 PM
episode 2 was great, u gotta love how evil cap black is and the little joke in the first episode "being given black doesnt mean u have to be evil" ;)

a second series i cant wait especially if the quality is getting better and better

btw my dad the person who introduced me to the wonders of cap scarlet stingray joe 90 and thunderbirds thinks captain scarlet is brilliant which is a compliment from a purist :)

AndyH
02-21-2005, 12:03 AM
I thought ep2 was really good.
The vehicle designs are excellent - my fave thing about it - chunky and practical while still cool looking and true to gerry andersons style. The whole scene with the angels shooting down those vampire planes was well done and capn black is a good character - def the most intresting and best looking one there. Some of the other characters faces look a bit creepy (the angels in particular), and their phoneme shapes are a bit plain and subdued, but hey - its by far the best looking CG series on tv right now, so well done on an excellent job!

Hope it does well - i dunno what kind of exposure or ratings its getting, what with being sandwiched into a saturday morning show. Have you had any feedback off reviewers, broadcasters or even the target audience?

Aegis Prime
02-21-2005, 08:13 AM
Have you had any feedback off reviewers, broadcasters or even the target audience?

You can check out the forums on www.spectrum-headquarters.com to see some feedback and comments from die-hard fans of the original show :thumbsup:

RoryWoodford
02-21-2005, 11:10 AM
You're right Rich "Heist" looks absoloutly fantastic and is another of Scarlet's best looking episodes. I can't remember the screening date of that one though.

You guys have a lot to look forward to, trust me :)

(...)
02-26-2005, 11:39 AM
Just saw episode 3. The show jumped hugely in quality since episode 2. The models look great (fixing Destiny's hair was a big win), but I reckon Scarlet looked better in episode 2 and Colonel White looked better in episode 1. The quality of the lighting ranges from great to outstanding. If any of the production team are still lurking on this forum, a tutorial on the technique would be greatly appreciated! :D :D

The only thing that lets it down is the animation. There's a big dichotomy between the quality of the mocap stuff and the keyframing, and there seems to be no secondary motion in the facial expressions (characters seem to emote through their eyes and lips only).

As for the story, I've seen about a dozen Stargate episodes that did that plot, but this show did it better! :)

AndyH
02-26-2005, 11:43 AM
DAMMIT! i completely forgot about it!
Woke up at 11 (was out drinkin last night) and it totally slipped my mind!
Bah!

What happened in it anyway?

kromekat
02-26-2005, 12:13 PM
Yep - episode 3 was the most impressive so far! - quite a step up on several fronts! - Destiny looks much better.

Liking it! ;)

andrewley
02-26-2005, 12:43 PM
Another great episode. The lighting was much better, as was the camera work. The lip sync is still a little off - was it automated? I agree that White looked better in the first episode.

Great work guys - Looking forward to the next one.

woodyradica
02-28-2005, 09:31 AM
I must admit that the third episode (swarm) did seem like quite a leap forward over the first two episodes.

The episode seemed a lot more polished. Two areas I think improved the most were lighting and sound. (There just seemed to be more backround and folly sound this week which really helped.)

Overall great stuff...

Saying that loved the design of the Tank in episode 2 (Got to see more of them....) :-)

carnera
02-28-2005, 08:22 PM
great to hear that you guys liked the "swarm" episode. :) ...it was a real fight with all
the bugs..damn..
but wait until the next one ...."rat trap"...man.....you will love it::))))))

AndyH
03-05-2005, 11:28 AM
Great work on rat trap!
Destiny and scarlet's faces look much better, and the lighting quality has improved a lot. The modeling, design, texturing and animation on the RAT's were excellent and the whole episode was entertaining!
My only real complaint is that the character morph targets, in particular the phonemes are quite subdued and not very well defined. The shapes like Ff and Oo are almost none existent, and make the characters look like theyre mumbling a lot of the time. Great work overall though - looking forward to next weeks ep.

Cameo
03-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Managed to catch an episode this morning. Looked impressive for sure. I kind of agree a little bit about the lip sync, but I wasnt sure if this was intentional as a kind of 'nod' to the original. Anyone know what sort of budget per episode these were made on?

commanderdanger
03-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Its about 1 million pounds per episode.

I love Rat Trap, the crash scene works brilliantly and its just a really well polished ep.

RoryWoodford
03-05-2005, 12:47 PM
It's my favourite too, biased ofcourse since I worked on it.

But our same team is working on an ep for series 2 right now and it's also on mars. We're taking what we learned on Rat Trap and adding to the look. :)

Glad you guys liked it. :)

Pilchard
03-05-2005, 01:16 PM
Hey chaps, does anyone know when "chiller" gets on air, wanna see if my name wormed its way in the credits, (doubt it though, hehe)!

Rich ;)

JoeBananas
03-05-2005, 01:57 PM
Great stuff! just watched the latest episode. The quality does seem to vary from shot to shot, but the overall level of work is fantastic. My main crit is the vacant expressions some of the charatcers suffer from, seems like everyones gone botox happy in the future! The important thing is though, so far the stories have been great, nice amounts of suspence, and at least one thing exploding per episode!

I liked starship troopers, but most of the enviroments in that show were basic geometry, covered in obvious prodcedual textures. You can tell that there's a lot more work gone into captain scarlet. The enviroments, and the shaders have had a lot of thought put into them.

I'll definitely be getting this on DVD when it comes out.

FYX
03-08-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi, I'm from FRANCE and I don't know if Captain Scarlet will be shown in France...
I'm afraid it will be like the first serie with puppets. Gerry Anderson : save us !...
By the way, what is the name of the company which is making the new Captain Scarlet ?
Where could I find other movie from this new show ?
Thanks a lot.
FYX

Bliz
03-09-2005, 12:11 AM
The company behind it is 'The Indestructible Production Company' based at Pinewood Studios.

PaulAdams
03-12-2005, 11:21 AM
First time I got to see it was this morning, so I don't know what episode it was but looks like homage was paid to Star Wars and Lightsabers. ;p

Certainly a cut above other weekly CG shows, I'll try to catch more.

woodyradica
03-29-2005, 10:36 AM
Does anyone know when the DVD for this will be realeased?

AndyH
03-29-2005, 10:38 AM
Great job on saturdays ep - one of the best plots in a scarlet ep, and the airshow sequence was very good.

Bliz
03-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Does anyone know when the DVD for this will be realeased?

Last I heard was some time in October.

stupido
03-29-2005, 01:19 PM
i caught an episode and a bit the other week. Plenty of positives (modeling, lighting) and sadly for me, outweighed by hefty negatives (animation, acting, story, story, story, editing, layout, story, voice acting, voice acting, etc.)

To me, seems like the tech guys have got a lot of talent in 3D but the 'old fashioned' craft of making a damn good tv show & telling a 'ripping yarn'...its a long way off.

Shame.

For me, its not a patch on the originals.

commanderdanger
03-29-2005, 02:12 PM
The airshow is a brilliant piece of work, but the episode as a whole is very solid. The cavern is a nice scene with some good textures and great lighting. The DVD is slotted for October last thing I heard, but it could change.

AndyH
04-04-2005, 11:22 AM
What happened to scarlet this saturday?
I cant believe they took MoM and scarlet off the air because of sodding grand prix qualifying!

colkai
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
Well, make a change from mucking up programming for bl**dy football I suppose.
Still, shouldn't they rename F1 to Scalectrix? - 2 hours of "follow me leader" - now Superbikes - that's a real motorsport! ;)
There was me as well, giving the wife grief for failing to get the VCR going on time - guess I owe her some chocolates. :p

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2005, 12:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.