PDA

View Full Version : What's next: a Ph.D. in video gaming?

mikepolizos
02-09-2005, 06:00 PM
....."A leader in the game industry for more than 20 years, Bing once again is making history as the inaugural holder of the first-ever endowed chair at a university for the study of electronic gaming and interactive entertainment," USC Dean Elizabeth Daley said in the statement.....

http://money.cnn.com/2005/02/08/technology/ea_chair/index.htm?cnn=yes

Preston
02-09-2005, 06:23 PM
What's next: a Ph.D. in video gaming?

Why not, they have MA in game design Id expect to see loads more of this type of high level qualification offered by academic institutions in the future.

Stonepilot
02-09-2005, 06:42 PM
Surprise,surprise EA is involved with it.

FlyByNight
02-09-2005, 07:09 PM
mikepol: love that signature

rocketbo
02-09-2005, 07:40 PM
now.. what about a Master's degree in competitive computer gaming? (http://www.donau-uni.ac.at/de/studium/fachabteilungen/tim/zentren/zbm/studienangebot/es/index.php)

mummey
02-09-2005, 08:23 PM
Its nice to see that EA understands the need to be taken seriously. What comes from this I don't not know however.

Bonedaddy
02-09-2005, 11:32 PM
This is actually pretty old hat, if you've been following the progress of video game-related degrees. EA's done a lot w/USC in the past, including giving them around $10 million, I believe, to start a new track in their Interactive Media MFA.

Say what you will about EA, but it's a large company, and not 100% purebred Satan, as some would have you believe. The industry, as it's set up, does not have much room for R&D, or innovative game design. I think that's what they're trying to do here. Whether they're successful or not is another matter.

Disclaimer: I'm a recent USC graduate.

AirbORn
02-10-2005, 04:06 AM
It's a good thing I think.

I am not sure how it is outside of Canada, but York University in Toronto is going to offer the first MA in Graphic Design. :) And since I go to York, for Design, the transition should be painless.

Also, with higher academic levels it shows the world how serious and specialized these professions are and will continue to be.

KolbyJukes
02-10-2005, 04:12 AM
When I was at VFS there was some serious talk about offering an MA in 3d...in conjunction with some university.

Para
02-10-2005, 07:13 AM
Umm, if I remember correctly I read an article about a certain Finn who wrote his Ph.D study about games and the social part of 'em...this was last year. I have to dig that article to see if I remember correctly.

mikepolizos
02-10-2005, 08:19 AM
Surprise,surprise EA is involved with it.

ha ha ha , who else my friend, who else.....

<<FlyByNight>> ;) thanks man

I imagine in the future they are going to teach us how to shoot the aliens in half life 2

teacher: "You are always aim fot the head, because....." :) :)

FlyByNight
02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
eisai kypraios re??? that link u provided for the greek forums dusnt work?:hmm: anyway, yiasou re!!:wavey:

AirbORn
02-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Umm, if I remember correctly I read an article about a certain Finn who wrote his Ph.D study about games and the social part of 'em...this was last year. I have to dig that article to see if I remember correctly.

I am not sure who that was, but even though the topic was on games, the Ph.D could be from an area of study like, communication, social studies, etc.....

mikepolizos
02-11-2005, 07:32 AM
eisai kypraios re??? that link u provided for the greek forums dusnt work?:hmm: anyway, yiasou re!!:wavey:

Geia soy kai sena! Oxi Ellinas eimai apo athina!
Eisai sigoyros gia to link, doyleyei

http://www.vfxartist.gr/forum/

FlyByNight
02-14-2005, 11:53 AM
eisai sosta re sorry, it dus work... i dont know why, but it wasnt workin b4...:shrug:

:thumbsup: yia sou re!

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 12:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.