PDA

View Full Version : HD 1080i compositing

AlexK
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
Hey guys,

I have to do some HD compositing soon and I wanted to do a bit of research for it. Can you point me in the right direction?

The job consists of two 15 sec shots. One is a combination of CG and real footage, the other is just real footage. The main work will be color correction, comping the footage together and maybe doing a matte painting of the one scene's sky.

The camera used is a Sony 900 (sorry don't know the exact model yet). The software used would be Digital Fusion.

Any tips on this software and HD material? A place to look for LUT's? Do I get them from Sony or can the camera maybe export an LUT?

Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: I just discovered the Digital Fusion specific forum and posted my question there too, so any answer should go over there I think. http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=209349

AlexK
02-11-2005, 06:36 PM
Come on anyone? There has to be at least one person out there that has worked with HDTV, right?

dg
02-12-2005, 04:37 AM
If you're working with HD 1080 material it's very likely that it will be in Linear space, this means that you don't have to use or care about LUTs.

Cheers,
dg

AlexK
02-12-2005, 07:20 AM
Woopy someone answered. Thanks man! :bounce:
Ok, I see, but the material is nevertheless supposed to be 10/12 bit isn't it? Cause the company that does the framegrabbing told me it isn't possible to get 10/12bit, because the data is on tape and it is 8 bit. :wip:

p.hoehsl
02-12-2005, 10:07 PM
If it's HD comming of tape it is 8bit lin - so I would treat it like SD video. What concerns me is that you want to do colour correction on a copmositing system. Unless you have some form of live output, a calibrated HD monitor, and a device to measure your video levels you'll be doing this pretty blindly.

Regards, Peter

AlexK
02-15-2005, 08:47 AM
If it's HD comming of tape it is 8bit lin - so I would treat it like SD video. What concerns me is that you want to do colour correction on a copmositing system. Unless you have some form of live output, a calibrated HD monitor, and a device to measure your video levels you'll be doing this pretty blindly.

Regards, Peter
The situation has changed anyway. The CC is done in Final Cut afterwards, so none of my concern anymore. :twisted:
But just out of interest, given there would be CC. I already thought I'd put a normal HD-TV besides my monitor to have at least an idea of what the final picture will look like. That is the case I originally asked for some LUT's. Don't they help a bit in this case?

p.hoehsl
02-15-2005, 09:11 AM
If you use a calibrated component monitor for grading (which is highly recomended in your case) you won't need any LUTs. A good idea here is to get a waveform monitor and a vectorscope because they show you things you don't allways see, such as illegal levels which will cause some TV stations to reject your work.
LUTs only come into play when you 'simulate' one medium on another one with a different colour space, eg. grading 10bit Log material on a computer monitor, which has a 8bit Lin colour space, and having your endresult shown on film. The problem with a LUT is that it will need to be customised to your system - taking into consideration factors like your monitor calibration (which you will need to do with a probe), type of graphics card, environment lighting, film stock, projector type, etc. Just using any generic LUT is not really going to help you a lot here.

Peter

AlexK
02-15-2005, 10:14 AM
I see. Thanks.

beaker
02-15-2005, 06:56 PM
It might be too late but if possible I would try to get them to use a Viper or other camera that captures directly to a hard drive as 4:4:4 rather than tape. HD is a great medium but HDCAM tape format blows chunks. It is only 3:1:1 and compresses the crap out of it like dv. Another option if you have to use that camera is to capture directly to a computer from the camera and bypass the tape altogether by using the sdi connector on the camera.

Keying HDCAM 3:1:1 sucks but keying 4:4:4 direct from the camera is great.

AlexK
02-16-2005, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info beaker. I'll look into it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.