PDA

View Full Version : Help on texturing and rendering a syringe

zepfan
02-09-2005, 11:16 AM
Hi all ive modelled a syringe but i dont know how to texture and light it so it looks realistic :) i do need help on this as im happy with the model ive made but im unhappy with that fact that i dont know how to texture and light it. If anyone wishes to see what my model looks like so it may aid them in answering this question then send me a PM with your e-mail details and i can e-mail it to u :)

So please can anyone help ? :(

Undead Fred
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
Is it polygons or SUBD's? You can use projected textures on different parts of the model under Edit Polygons > Texture and using an appropriate projection shape based on what you're placing it on. Then you'll need to go into the UV editor and move the UV's around so that the texture lays evenly on the surface. I'm assuming you were going to use file textures instead of plain old shader groups with nothing mapped to it. You can use a checkerboard procedural texture for your starter texture to make sure you don't have any warping on the surface.

As for lighting, you'll probably want to use a three-point lighting system (three spotlights will do just fine). Your main light to simulate your light source, a fill to fill in the shadow area on the opposite side (which should not be more intense than your main/ key light), and a rim light to accent the edge of the object from the back. You'll also want to soften the edge of the light source by adjusting the penumbra angle a little and adding a bit of dropoff can't hurt. Your cone angle will make the light source cover a larger area. If you have shadows turned on, depth map shadows will render a bit faster and you can adjust your depth map filter size to smooth out pixelation. Don't really mess with the bias.

There are all kinds of tips and tricks for lighting and texturing, but hopefully that'll get the ball rolling.

Dr. Ira Kane
02-09-2005, 02:48 PM
Not much to texture there m8, a cylindrical mapping will be just fine, I suggest to focus on shaders, and lighting :)

zepfan
02-09-2005, 04:08 PM
The image u attached is exactly what id like to make but how do i make it look as real as that?

:(

Dr. Ira Kane
02-09-2005, 05:51 PM
That's a photo from google :) I just want to show you how much texturing you actually have there m8. I think shaders are the key here. Lighting don't have to be complex. Searching this board will help you a lot, and it's very important to know the basics.

lazzhar
02-09-2005, 08:13 PM
lol Dr. Ira Kane you're making me smiling :) especialy when started using Bill muray avatar.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.