PDA

View Full Version : ZBrush 1.5 Review

lildragon
09-13-2002, 10:52 AM
Great little review of the new features in ZBrush 1.5

http://www.creative-3d.net/ZBrush15.cfm

Lucid1313
09-13-2002, 11:05 AM
Zbrush looks amazing!! That peice of software has come a long way and it looks like it is going to go far. I can't wait to see more art created from it. I might have to pick it up for myself. It looks fun AND intuitive.:D

SheepFactory
09-13-2002, 04:49 PM
:love:

markdc
09-14-2002, 08:18 AM
They need to release a demo of the current version.

Phrenzy84
09-14-2002, 09:33 AM
I dont know if any of u guys know but 3D BuZZ (http://www.3dbuzz.com) is sponsored by Zbrush. They recently done a tutorial for it on there Siggraph CD and that package looks quite powerful.

kpalazov
09-14-2002, 10:48 AM
Firstly thankyou for the link.

Secondly I wanted to ask maybe users of the package or maybe users who have a deeper insight in to its potentional and capabilities what this app is really useful for.

I have tried the new version and yes I agree there are some exellent tools but nothing that interms of modelling that I can't perform easier and better in maya artisen.

My understanding of the package was that it served as an alternative modelling tool , intuative fluid modelling. But really I have not seen any proff of this.

By this time your probably thinking this guys is bagging the software, which I'm not.

I trying to find out if it really able to integrated well with other packages and do something different and or make a task easier or of higher quality.

thanks for you time

take care

Kiril

lildragon
09-14-2002, 10:52 AM
hi kpalazov, nope not bagging, actually it's a very valid question... take a look thru this thread.. the last page especially http://www.pixolator.com/zbc-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=1&t=007969

This might answer some of your questions :)

gidgit
09-14-2002, 08:15 PM
Good link Tito... :)

Brian... the good folks at pixologic have suggested a demo of 1.51 is presently in the worx and should be ready for release within a few weeks... of course it will come with some limitations...

Demo document size is limited to 640x480.
Saving tools is disabled.
Disabled Import/Export of 3D-objects.
Disabled Import/Export of textures.
Disabled Import/Export of Alphas.
Custom materials cannot be saved.
ZMovie recording is disabled.
ZScripts recording is disabled.

other than that, have at er... create ZSphere mania... ;)

kpalazov
09-15-2002, 05:43 AM
Thanks lildragon,
Was interesting actually to see some work done but in the end the verdict for higher quality modelling was still to export to another package and add the finshing touches. Not to say I am not impressed in its capabitites for its price range.
Another question is still to be aswered is how these modeles handle in an animation?
I think its a fabulous package but I don't belive that it can be used directly as a modeler. After some testing I found that it is useful in the way of conceptual modeling. Just like modeling in with clay, except now there is no scanning. Just take it in to something like Cyclise and we have a model ready for animation and texturing.
I think in that repect it is an exellent package as it really does enable much freedom and fluidity.

THanks for your reply

take care

Kiril

facial
09-16-2002, 01:06 AM
Realy cool, realy, realy . :beer: :beer:

impending
09-16-2002, 05:46 AM
kpalazov - you ask, "Another question is still to be answered is how these models handle in an animation?" As you can see in the link posted by lildragon, models created in ZBrush are very clean in their distribution of polygons. However, if you are going to do fine animation such as a head you will tweak your edge loops in an app such as Maya before rigging to achieve the precise deformations when animating. While you can work at the vertex level in ZBrush - the level of control you would want would be best found in a different app.

That said, ZBrush allows for very rapid model creation - a primary strength of ZBrush. This speed will allow you to explore more variations in your model then you may otherwise have the time to create. Perhaps you have a scene containing a primary character with many other organic objects or props in the scene. ZBrush may excel in cutting your hours on the project by the rapid creation of these organic props.

just some ideas . . . .

jd

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.