PDA

View Full Version : Turtle problem

Miguelin
02-09-2005, 06:29 AM
Hello, im having problems with the turtle renderer, as you can see the final image had a faceted look that i cant solve. I have use liquid and standard photons and supersampling but the faceted look still appear.

Thanks a lot.

http://www.meligrana.net/donj/envio1.jpg

Miguelin
02-09-2005, 07:05 AM
This is a render of one room of the videogame we are making so all the geomtry is 2sided.
I think that the problem could be the 2-sided because the objects that dont have 2sided have a good look (the wooden object and the 3 boxes in the floor). Can I specify in the turtle renderer that uses the backface culling?

cybermats
02-09-2005, 09:13 AM
I guess your are using GI without FG, and especially GI with liquid light photon mapping. Liquid light photon mapping have this behaviour.

It is much faster than standard photon mapping but not correct in every aspect and the idea is to use it with FG since it will produce those faceted things.

The solution should be to either switch to standard photon mapping, or use final gather to smooth out the gi solution.

It should have nothing to do with the objects being 2-sided.

Nice image by the way! :)

Miguelin
02-09-2005, 10:25 AM
Yes, now it render perfectly.

Thanks a lot.

Miguelin
02-10-2005, 07:33 AM
Hello, im still having problems with the render. The light seems to pass through the walls but all the vertices are solded and all the geometry is uniform.

http://www.meligrana.net/donj/Miguel/envio2.jpg

cybermats
02-10-2005, 03:39 PM
I quick guess would be that the walls and the roof have no thickness. Photon mapping works by sending "photons" into the scene and then gather the light from them. The photons have a size (specified in the "photon radius" setting) in which it will be valid and affect gathering rays or primary rays. This leads to that if you have a too thin object (or infinitelly thin as I guess in your case) the light will shine through. Try to add some thickness to the walls and to the roof, make it as thick as "normal" walls usually are, and then set the photon radius to something smaller than this value.

If you just want to experiment, try to increase the photon radius a lot and see how the light shines through all kind of object..

Just as a sidenote, try to send the illuminate labs support an email for quicker respons.. Their email address is support@illuminatelabs.com.

Miguelin
02-10-2005, 03:49 PM
Ok. Thanks for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.