PDA

View Full Version : COMING SOON: FUNDAMENTALS Week!

RobertoOrtiz
02-09-2005, 03:38 AM
Next week I want to do an experiement.

Lets do a Fundamentals week here in the daily sketch forum.

Lets post topics aimed to improve our skills as artists.

For example:

FUNDAMENTALS: Color Theory
FUNDAMENTALS: Perspective

Post your ideas in this thread:
Daily Sketch Forum Topic Suggestions (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=145003)

-R

erilaz
02-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Yay! Fundamentals are great! :D

matman
02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
Great Idea!!

I propose FUNDAMENTALS: VOLUME!! Some many things to improve for me, but i really need to make things pop up the screen/paper.

Her0d
02-09-2005, 09:01 AM
I dont really think it should be a 'just one week' topic, but rather sticky, parallel to the normal topics thread... The topics should be rather in specific order, more oriented to giving advice to newbies, not the classic showing off with the 'out-of-the-box' thinking :-)

CodeNothing
02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
woot! perspective! :)

yea im a perspective nerd.

daadaa
02-09-2005, 10:20 AM
would reflections be included.... ??

RobertoOrtiz
02-09-2005, 01:30 PM
would reflections be included.... ??

If it is not on the first round it will be eventually added.

the idea came to me because i know that all artists have blind spots.
And we could use some practice. For example mine happens to be perspective.

I am thinking of making this a regular feature, maybe on Sundays, when we usually have less traffic.

-R

droolingleper
02-09-2005, 03:17 PM
Hello all. Here is my first post although I've been lurking for a while now and have tried some of the matte challanges, but never posted them as I'm a bit slow in completing them. I do have a question about color theory. Can you explain to me what it is? Please excuse my newbness, but I've really gotten to enjoy the daily sketch group and everything piece that has been posted. So I would like to improve and be able to put the wacom that I bought for Christmas to good use.

robinayles
02-09-2005, 07:38 PM
Roberto - this is a fantastic idea! We can all benefit from going back to the basics.

droolingleper - Welcome. Color theory refers to terms like: complimentary colors, contiguous colors, hue, saturation, etc.
It refers to how you use color for a more impactful image.
I'm sure someone else can add to this simplistic explanation.

erilaz
02-10-2005, 06:03 AM
Roberto - this is a fantastic idea! We can all benefit from going back to the basics.

droolingleper - Welcome. Color theory refers to terms like: complimentary colors, contiguous colors, hue, saturation, etc.
It refers to how you use color for a more impactful image.
I'm sure someone else can add to this simplistic explanation.

Colour theory is a pain for me because I'm red-green colour blind. Dang it.:sad:

KOryH
02-10-2005, 06:23 PM
Color blind heh?
Me too. And I have even worked as a color stylist and do color design for films.
I rely more on value than anything else. It's tough some times, and some of my co-workers question my choices every so often, but it all works out ok.
luckily for us color is only part of the equation.

I am curious how these fundemental exersises will be structured.
Any tutorials or info available or associated with them?
or will we just be on our own.
like go paint a color wheel GO GO.
and then someone posting "I like it, it's really round"

I would like to hear some suggestions on how we can make these fun and educational.
and how a bout some re4cources and links to the subject matter berfore the session so we are all on the same page.

elmasfeo
02-10-2005, 08:11 PM
and then someone posting "I like it, it's really round"

LOL:scream:

ok, I was also wondering how was this going to be, because when we have topics like "wet and tired" or something like that, I can get in my head some ideas that I would like to turn into images, but if the topic was "color" or "volume"...what do I draw? a sphere?:shrug:I wouldn't know where to start from.... maybe it's just me...
I think that, as Koryh said, maybe each topic could be associated with some tutorials that we could try to apply to our own ideas (so that we don't have 20 pictures looking the same), or maybe...well, I've never been to any class art-related, but what about trying out some exercises that they would do in one of those classes? ...or maybe adding limitations to the drawings, like "paint whatever with only 3 colors", or B&W, or... I don't know, well, it's a thought...
Anyway, great idea Roberto, I think we can all learn a lot this way :thumbsup: :thumbsup: I hope I find more time to continue posting here...

CGTalk Moderation
02-10-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.