PDA

View Full Version : OS X maya 6.5 mental ray satellite setup

fanmap81
02-09-2005, 01:22 AM
Can somebody please telll me how to get going with using this mental ray satellite? I dont understand how to set it up and have been looking through documentation for the last few hours with no luck. Ive installed mental ray using the default installer on both my G5 as well as my powerbook G4, and i want to start rendering my scenes on the G5 while im using maya but do not know how to tie the power of both machines together after installation. What else do i have to do after installing mental ray on both macs am i to do so i can start getting much faster Maya renders out of my G5? Im hoping that whatever it is, isnt too complicated and the layman can understand it. Any and all help is appreciated, Thanks alot.

Jozvex
02-09-2005, 03:44 AM
Well I don't know if it's much different on Macs than it is on Windows, but the setup for Windows goes:

1. Install Maya 6.5 on the machine you're actually going to use Maya on.
2. Install the separate 'Mental Ray for Maya Satellite' application onto all the other computers you want to help with rendering (keeping in mind the 2 cpu limit for Complete and the 8 cpu limit for Unlimited).
3. Make sure both the computers can access each other via your network configuration. Just do a ping test or something, I'm sure you know that already.
4. Create the file maya.rayhosts in a text editor and add 1 line per slave computer describing the computers name (or IP address) followed by the port number you want to work through.

EXAMPLE:

Say you want the computer named 'CrazySam' to support your rendering, you would add the line:

CrazySam:7103

The port number 7103 (I think that's it) is the default port number for Satellite. You can change it but that involves more complicated stuff (for another post if you need help doing that).

Instead of writing the computer's name (CrazySam) you could instead use the IP address, like:

192.168.1.103:7103

Just go through and add another line for each computer using the same port each time.

5. Save that maya.rayhosts file into your user prefs folder, on Windows XP for me that is:

C:\Documents and Settings\Jared\My Documents\maya\6.5\prefs

Absolutely make sure that you remove the .txt (or whatever) extension from the file name!!! It doesn't show the extension by default in XP and I kept wondering why Satellite wasn't working. It was because it was saved as maya.rayhosts.txt! Pretty obvious but I somehow missed it.

6. Provided that you aren't using any custom MR shaders, and that the raysatserver service is running on your slave computers, everything should work! Just render using Mental Ray and it should say that the other computers are helping.

If you are using custom MR shaders like I am, you need to copy them over into the similar folders on your slave computers (except in the Satellite directory, not Maya), and add them to the .rayrc file there too.

:thumbsup:

jooki
02-09-2005, 09:30 PM
hey there.
On mac, xinetd does not refresh automatically after installing satellite.
You can restart mac after installing satellite, or use the following command to refresh xinetd.

% sudo kill -QUIT `cat /var/run/xinetd.pid`
% sudo xinetd -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid

or
% sudo /System/Library/StartupItems/IPServices/IPServices restart

Jooki

MasonDoran
03-16-2005, 02:46 PM
Jozvex...

perhaps you can post an example of the .rayrc file to show how to append custom shaders?

I can get satellite working without the custome shaders...but not WITH them because i keep getting a synatax error....

bgawboy
03-16-2005, 09:48 PM
Keep in mind that they only need to go in the maya.rayrc file on the master.

For example, if you put them in the same places as the mayabase mi and so files, copy
the statements that begin with mi and link, and replace mayabase with your custom filenames:
link "{MAYABASE}/lib/yourcustomname.{DSO}"
mi "{MAYABASE}/include/yourcustomname.mi"

They should be in the same block of statements defining the MRMAYA_START registry.

The rayrc files on the satellites only need the register variables. The default installation should handle that.

scotthik
03-16-2005, 10:15 PM
On a mac here. I've gotten the rayhosts file part going. But I get a "connection refused" error. Have restarted all macs. Any other Mac folks getting this?

bgawboy
03-16-2005, 11:04 PM
By the way, here is a similar thread which may or may not help.

Mental Ray / OS X / Satellite Problems
(http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?t=215234)
Make sure you are pointing to your satellite port, 7103 by default.

And it appears, there may be an extra step to setup the network service to run on the Mac.

Nathan03
03-18-2005, 03:12 PM
Yeah, as Bgaw says, there seems to be a work-around that doens't exactly make sense, but it seems to work. The specific post in the aforementioned thread is here (http://www.cgtalk.com/showpost.php?p=2052555&postcount=24).

Good luck,
- Nathan

Exalix
04-25-2005, 11:04 AM
" 2. Install the separate 'Mental Ray for Maya Satellite' application "

Where do I find it!?

joie
05-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Where do I find it!?

Itīs in the second installation CD.

Please, I installed it but my service is not running, If I start rayserver it wonīt run and give me an error, but it doesnīt say anything about the reason, Why?

Thankīs in advance.

joie
05-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Well, I guess Mental Images didnīt test it in Windows XP 64 becouse itīs not working for me in that platform..., but it work great in Windows 2000 and Windows XP professional both in 32 bits.

Thankīs to all anyway.

vand
12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
many many thanx

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 07:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.