PDA

View Full Version : Gigapxl Project (4 gigapixel images - single shot; film

betelgeuse
02-08-2005, 07:06 PM
This guy and his team are crossing the country (US) shooting gigantic panoramic photos with his custom-made camera "from bits and pieces of decomissioned Cold War hardware".

Digital cameras have a way to go to match this level of detail, particularly with a single shot.

Check out the image gallery there.
http://www.gigapxl.org/

itsallgoode9
02-08-2005, 08:21 PM
I had seen that a few months ago, but forgot abou it...it's so freakin' cool! There's a link somewhere to an image like this which is of a city panorama. Really cool because you can actually read liscense plate numbers on cars that are a few miles away.

betelgeuse
02-08-2005, 08:54 PM
I believe you're thinking of a different thing. Roberto Ortiz posted a link to a site where someone had created a 2.5 gigapixel digital photo that was stitched together from many separate photos. The gigapxl.org images are almost twice as big and they're captured in a single shot. The images are captured on film.

mopelie
02-08-2005, 09:10 PM
either being the 2.5 gigapixel or the 4 gigapixel, they are both very impressive. Not many people understand why but we all know it. Gonna take Satellite spying to a whole new lvl in the coming years.

betelgeuse
02-08-2005, 09:37 PM
Well, the neat thing here is that this guy is using so-called "old school" technology to get superior results - that and the fact that these shots don't suffer from the time lag inherent in the other method of stitching a bunch of separate photos. In the 2.5 gigapixel image, if you look at certain areas, you'll see half a car or disembodied legs. This is just because it takes time to snap that many photos.

Gentle Fury
02-09-2005, 02:15 AM
holy crap, that's amazing! I wonder if they shot a macro style close up of something if it would pick up microscopic details.

itsallgoode9
02-09-2005, 07:10 AM
yeah that's what I was thinking of, and knew it was made a little differently, sorry I didn't state that! :)

gregdowning
02-15-2005, 11:43 PM
The 2.5 stitched image is at http://www.tpd.tno.nl/smartsite966.html.

What is cool about the Delft image is that they actually posted the image on the web and you can zoom into it. I wish the Gigapxl Project would do this. I have been waiting for a chance for one of thier photo shows to show someplace where I could actually check out the images.

CGTalk Moderation
02-16-2006, 12:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.