PDA

View Full Version : newbies-smooth bind info

roberte
02-08-2005, 05:56 PM
At the risk of this info being in error I want to share a discovery I just made.
I have been using maya 6 for 4 months and, just a few days ago, began attempting to create a skeleton for a hand. Although I still do not understand the process I got as far as to attempt to smooth bind the skin. I have struggled for 2 days too accomplish this, following, carefully, the tutorials I had available, with no success. I was beginning with my hand skin as an object, as all the tutorials said was to select it and the skeleton and smooth bind. Finally, in sheer frustration, I changed to vertex mode and lo and behold. when I selected the skeleton and the hand vertices and did a smooth bind that is what I got!
Now, this might be totally in error and, if so, I would definitely appreciate input but it is very similar to many manuals and tuts. We are expected to know these things.
I, (as a newbie), feel completely overwhelmed and often stupified by the data it is necessery to know and I hope tut writers will take this into consideration. Some newbies (like me) know and understand nothing! We are like babies who have yet to learn to crawl.
I hope this helps someone.

john_homer
02-09-2005, 04:20 AM
I'm sorry, but your post makes no sence to me..

it sounds like you are saying you have to select all the verts/CV's to do a smooth bind.

this is not true.
just select the surface in the viewport, and some joints and then smoothBind.

you can select the verts if you want, but only if you eant to limit the membership...

sorry if I misunderstood...

.j

roberte
02-09-2005, 09:11 AM
When you say select the surface, just how do you mean that. How, otherwise do you select it?

when originally I attempted to bind I did select the surface (in object mode so as to select the entire surface.) Then I selected the hand bone/joints and attempted a smooth bind. When I then rotated the joints they moved but the skin did not. The only way I accomplished making the skin move when I rotated the joints was to select all the verts, then the bones/joints and smooth bind.

I'm sure there are many more ways to accomplish this but I don't have a clue what they are and would appreciate any clerification as I don't understand your statement, although I'm sure it makes perfect sense to those who are more knowledgable than I am.

john_homer
02-09-2005, 06:06 PM
When you say select the surface, just how do you mean that. How, otherwise do you select it?

juist click on it, in the viewport or the outliner.

ok... run the following (just paste it into the bottom of the script editor and hit ENTER)
it will make some joints and a shpere and just select them.
then just choose "smooth Bind" fromthe menu...

select -cl; // clear the selection
string $j1 = `joint -p -1 0 0`;
string $j2 = `joint -p 0 0 0` ; // make some joints
string $j3 = `joint -p 1 0 0` ;
string $aSphere[] = `sphere -ssw 0 -esw 360 -r 1 -d 3 -ut 0 -s 8 -nsp 4`; // make a sphere
select $j1 $j2 $j3 $aSphere; // select the joints and the sphere (or you can just shift select them yourself)

roberte
02-10-2005, 09:05 AM
Initially that's exactly what i did (clicked on it) in object mode. Then I clicked on thebone/joint of the hand/arm and went "smoothbind. When i attempted to move the finger joint the skin did not follow. It was only when I changed to vertex mode and selected the object (all the vertices), then the bone/joint unit, then smooth binded, that the skin followed when I moved the joint.

Am I missing something obvious here?

kevinstiles
02-26-2005, 09:16 PM
I feel your pain! I have been working with Maya for a long time now and still have stupid stuff happen to me. Maya just seem to stop carring at times. This may be what your problem is. But I'll tell you the process just in case you don't understand. First make caps lock is not on. select your mesh (skin, poly, what ever...) You'll know it's selected if the wireframe turns green. If you cannot select the entire object by clicking on it hold the cursor over the mesh and right click. This causes a menu to appear (you have to actually hold the right mouse button to make the menu appear) while still holding the right button scroll down to select. Then Shift + click on the root joint to select your root joint, your first joint the beginning of your skeleton. If you cannot select you root joint after selecting the mesh odds are you are in the wrong mode. If this is the case press f8 then select the mesh and shift select the root joint. Finally select smooth bind. I know your new and trying to learn as much as you can, but try to avoid smooth binding, most people disagree, but rigid binding is better. I think people don't like it because they don't know how to work with it even though it is easier to work with than smooth binding. Good Luck!

ajk48n
02-26-2005, 10:17 PM
You may also want to check the options for smoth bind. It's the little box next to the Smooth Bind in the menu. Make sure that the drop down box is set to Complete Skeleton, and not Selected Joints, and try again.

CGTalk Moderation
02-26-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.