PDA

View Full Version : And the "OMG" award goes to...

JeroenDStout
02-08-2005, 12:56 PM
http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=697493db-7e1b-4dce-a87b-13148433ec4a

Oh. My. Gods.

This is quite amazing.

LONDON - A microchip so powerful it could turn mobile phones into pocket-sized desktop computers was unveiled yesterday by Sony, Toshiba and IBM. Ten times faster than its rivals, the new Cell microprocessor is being billed as the first "super computer on a chip."

A single Cell processor packs such a powerful punch that only three years ago it would have been rated as one of the top 500 super computers in the world.

brisck1
02-08-2005, 01:20 PM
So does this mean I can run paint brush and calculator at the same time?

andrewley
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
So these are going to be used in the PS3? I wonder if Microsoft and Nintendo have comparable technology, or will they have to go and ask Intel and Sony if they can have some?

Fahrija
02-08-2005, 01:52 PM
Sounds interesting but we´ll see how fast the chip will be within the todays
current computer-architecture.

btw - If somebody is interested in new technologies then have a look at this :)
that´s very interesting!
http://www.biochem.mpg.de/mnphys/

+ http://www.biochem.mpg.de/mnphys/publications/02fro3/02fro3.pdf

best regards
fahrija

Solothores
02-08-2005, 02:02 PM
Bah, another Thread! ;D

Well MS' XBoxII processor is customized by IBM while the gpu is provided by ATI. I guess, performance-wise it will pretty much get near what the cell proc. does for the PS3. About Nintendo, well they claimed that their Revolution will introduce a new "Paradigm" to gaming. So lets wait and see... especially since I am one of the content-not-technology matters supporter.

Bottomline:
Let them fight, only we can win! :thumbsup:

Cheers
Solo

Lomax
02-08-2005, 02:34 PM
If I remember correctly, Sony made claims that the PS2's processor could handle the effects of Star Wars Ep.1 in realtime...
Who wants some grains of salt? :D

leach
02-08-2005, 03:01 PM
I hate this kind of PR crap ...

"...it will bridge the gap between the cinema and video games, allowing graphics and special effects designed for the cinema to be inserted directly into computer games."

Any article with a statment like that loses all credibilty, instantly.

chadtheartist
02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
I wonder if Microsoft and Nintendo have comparable technology, or will they have to go and ask Intel and Sony if they can have some?

Intel isn't involved with the Cell development. IBM, Sony, and Toshiba are the ones who are developing this processor.

Well MS' XBoxII processor is customized by IBM while the gpu is provided by ATI. I guess, performance-wise it will pretty much get near what the cell proc. does for the PS3. About Nintendo, well they claimed that their Revolution will introduce a new "Paradigm" to gaming. So lets wait and see... especially since I am one of the content-not-technology matters supporter.

IBM is developing the main processors for Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft. So for all we know all three systems will have similar "specs". The cell processor isn't just Sony's after all. Let's just hope the games are good. :D

agreenster
02-08-2005, 05:35 PM
Two words:

Marketing Hype.

El-Rodente
02-08-2005, 05:39 PM
So these are going to be used in the PS3? I wonder if Microsoft and Nintendo have comparable technology, or will they have to go and ask Intel and Sony if they can have some?

last thing i heard, they were all using the same IBM chip, but if sony developed this... ooer :(

it'll be expensive though...

chadtheartist
02-08-2005, 05:43 PM
Where did you hear that?

El-Rodente
02-08-2005, 05:48 PM
Where did you hear that?

uh i heard it ages ago, from a magazine. and i meant IBM, not intel

chadtheartist
02-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Ahhh... makes a lot more sense now. HAHA.

pthomas72
02-08-2005, 05:57 PM
its really not easy for developers to work on the Playstation 2, and talking with carmack its going to be even harder to work on the cell processor. yes it blazing fast but its going to take a few years for us all to figure it out. (with little or no help from sony.)

Microsoft on the other hand... will have similar tech but not as fast (apples to oranges) on the other hand they bend over backwards twice to insure hardware support (xna ect.)

so, nothing is going to change. ha ha ha.
dont expect to see high end graphics for another 1-2 years though.

kiaran
02-08-2005, 06:45 PM
From Znet:
The first product to use the Cell will be a workstation PC jointly developed by Sony and IBM and set to go on sale in 2005. That's machine is intended mainly for creating computer animation and enabling other demanding graphics tasks.

I wonder if this PC will support X86 OS? It's not much use to me if the Cell can't work with Windows.

rendermania
02-09-2005, 01:49 AM
This sounds pretty cool..

ARMONK, NY and TOKYO, November 29, 2004 - IBM, Sony Corporation (Sony) and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCEI) announced today that they have powered-on the first Cell* processor-based workstation.
The prototype workstation is the first computing application planned for the highly-anticipated Cell processor.
The companies expect that a one rack Cell processor-based workstation will reach a performance of 16 teraflops or trillions of floating point calculations per second.
While an individual Cell processor is capable of parallel processing, a cluster of Cell processors can also act as a huge parallel processing unit, being able to handle massive data required for complex physics simulation and control of digital characters in digital content creation, or can be divided into smaller groups, each carrying out different tasks.
"Cell processor-based workstation will totally change the digital content creation environment," said Masayuki Chatani, corporate executive and CTO, Sony computer Entertainment Inc. "Its overwhelming power will be demonstrated at every aspect in the development of all kinds of digital entertainment content, from movies, broadcast programs to next generation PlayStation games."
The Cell workstation is designed to deliver tremendous computational power, helping digital entertainment content creators generate higher quality content with richer and more dynamic scenes, much faster than current development systems.
"Our collaboration with Sony is leading to a new era of innovation in the semiconductor and computing industries," said Colin Parris, vice president of product management, IBM Systems & Technology Group. "The supercomputer-like processing and performance of the Cell processor-based workstation is just the beginning of what we expect will be a wide-range of powerful next-generation solutions resulting from our joint development efforts."
Cell is a multicore chip comprising a 64-bit Power processor core and multiple synergistic processor cores capable of massive floating point processing, optimized for compute-intensive workloads and broadband rich media applications, including computer entertainment, movies and other forms of digital content.
Sony, SCEI and IBM aim to offer technology that will accelerate the paradigm shift in digital entertainment.

cha0t1c1
02-09-2005, 04:09 AM
plz provide link to article...

jdsb
02-09-2005, 04:24 AM
pretty cool,i need a blueprint of that chip :D

Solothores
02-09-2005, 06:12 AM
plz provide link to article...

http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200411/04-1129BE/

Stormy151
02-09-2005, 06:50 AM
I hate this kind of PR crap ...

"...it will bridge the gap between the cinema and video games, allowing graphics and special effects designed for the cinema to be inserted directly into computer games."

Any article with a statment like that loses all credibilty, instantly.

I know! How many times have we heard something like that?

JeroenDStout
02-09-2005, 09:49 AM
pretty cool,i need a blueprint of that chip :D
Wouldn't fit into your house...

Geta-Ve
02-09-2005, 12:20 PM
maybe hes got a big house?

cha0t1c1
02-09-2005, 03:45 PM
thank you, very much :)
very helpful.
but the article is still vague.

Phynix
02-09-2005, 06:59 PM
wow
thats cool
rendering goes 90% over the processort doesnt it?
that will be cool
"CELL SHIPS FOR ALL!"

balistic
02-09-2005, 08:00 PM
Haha, I can't believe you guys are eating up this PR like it's anything other than hype.

Remember when Sony said the PS2 and its revolutionary architecture would be able to do Toy Story in realtime?

Inform yo'self (http://www.gizmodo.com/gadgets/home-entertainment/playstation/index.php#7-myths-of-the-new-cell-processor-032535)

Tirjasdyn
02-09-2005, 08:33 PM
A single Cell processor packs such a powerful punch that only three years ago it would have been rated as one of the top 500 super computers in the world. (http://www.canada.com/technology/story.html?id=697493db-7e1b-4dce-a87b-13148433ec4a)

Didn't anyone read this part...3 years ago...that means it has been surppassed already right?

Phynix
02-09-2005, 08:47 PM
no
i think it means that three years ago, one chip was as good as the best 500 computers with joined chips and harddrives and (i have no clue of computer technik so please complete that sentece if you have ;) )
thats seems to be a pretty good chip ;)

slaughters
02-09-2005, 09:39 PM
its really not easy for developers to work on the Playstation 2, and talking with carmack its going to be even harder to work on the cell processor.D@mn.

so, nothing is going to change. ha ha ha.
dont expect to see high end graphics for another 1-2 years though.Double D@mn.

orion119net
02-09-2005, 10:03 PM
oo, this will make "The Next Starfighter" look baaad! http://cgtalk.com/images/smilies/drool.gif

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.