PDA

View Full Version : Steamboy at the Egyptian/LA

chromiumjade
02-08-2005, 09:26 AM
Just got back a couple of hours ago from the "Steamboy" Director's Cut (subtitled - yeah!) preview at the Egyptian Theatre in Los Angeles. The director, Katsuhiro Ôtomo, has been affiliated with some of my personal favorites: "Akira", "Perfect Blue", and "Metropolis".

For me, I liked the Victorian-era/cyberpunkish feel, but I was also a fan of the Baroque Cycle which I guess means "take my opinion with a grain of salt"! I found the plot wanting, it was a half hour too long, and preached too hard on the danger of technology. I felt the last third quite exhausting because of the many false endings --chase sequence after chase sequence. I got so tired that my eyes shut down -- which annoyed me because I didn't want to stop seeing it. However, the initial chase sequences were thrilling because I still cared for the characters. And it was lovely, as to be expected.

I'm curious about what CGTalkers who made the showing thought of it. I'm sad because I really wanted to like it.

p.s. Cool thing? They were giving out "War of the Worlds" schwag. I got a black baseball cap with W.O.W. stitched on the front! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.