PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Accessories and clothes that conform to the body

doppelganger
02-08-2005, 08:25 AM
Hello all,

I did some searches in the archive and didnt come up with much. Can someone reccomend a link to some info or share some techniques for modeling armor, clothes, and accessories using curves on surface, lofted geometry, NURBS surfaces, etc. I use Maya but most cross platform information works too. I am worknig from a polygon base mesh and I want to generate accessories that conform to the shape of the body.

Thanks in advance,

Scott Spencer

doppelganger
02-08-2005, 09:33 PM
any suggestions or techniques would be great : )

Scott

BiGMaCHiNe
02-08-2005, 10:52 PM
my technique is to build the very basic parts of the clothes and then bloat it outside of the body as if you were going to use a cloth modifier to tighten it around the body. If your not familliar with this proceedure, then there is tonnes of reference in the maya help. Once you've got this basic shape i start adding in edges and gradually pulling it closer to the mesh. Then i take a snapshot from various angles, whip it into photoshop and start planning where the folds should crease in the cloth ( using lots of reference ofcourse ). Then using the split polygonal tool i make cuts along where the folds of cloth would be. Then using byrons poly tools i either bevel/chamfer the edge and push out along the normal to make the fold, or make an adjacent cut ( with split poly ) and use that as the buffer.

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.