PDA

View Full Version : How would you make a bike?

Naisa Evoli
02-08-2005, 02:47 AM
Hi, Iím currently in a modeling class that deals completely with Maya using NURBS (I am not allowed to use pollys or sub d's at all). And for our final project we have to make a model of a non organic item. So I decided I wanted to try and model a bike (a motor bike, croch rocket, like a Yamaha r6) because I have heard from alot of people how hard it is and I would rather fail at a challenge than just turn in the same old thing they have seen over and over (like cell phones, and sunglasses). However, Iím a little confused (since Iím new) on how I should tackle this. So I figure I would ask you all out there for some NURBS modeling advise. Would you like profile curve the whole thing then add curves and sculpt it out like that and make the overall surface and add detail? Or would you sculpt it piece by piece then kind of assemble it sort of. Any advise would be awesome. I donít need a full tutorial or anything because I definitely need to do the project myself, but just kind of need a good stepping stone on how to approach it. Thank you very much in advance^^.

cpan
02-08-2005, 09:52 AM
for a bike i'd create the main steel bars position them ant the intersect&trim&fillet the surfaces to get a nice flow between them.

cheers

azazel
02-08-2005, 10:29 AM
main problem about modelling the bike is it's complexity - do you have enough time to do it ?

Naisa Evoli
02-08-2005, 07:53 PM
well..i have about 2 weeks to make it from today. But, I think I might do something a little easier for the project, to make sure I finish it and donít get an incomplete, but I still want to try making the bike just as practice, Iím still learning some of the tools, so I really cant start modeling till next week. Which would leave me about a week to make it, week an a half maybe while still attending classes and studying for tests and stuff. So, pretty much I have no timeframe on the bike since il be doing it in my extra time just to practice and experiment.

azazel
02-08-2005, 09:33 PM
That seems to be the best idea, do something 'doable in time' for the assignment, and do the bike for yourself ;) - especially if you are still learning the tools.

billrobertson42
02-12-2005, 11:23 PM
I suggest doing it piece by piece. Sketch out what you want it to look like and then try to make that.

I would also model each piece on it's own. For example, start with a frame. Then make an engine. etc...

Ibah
02-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Since this is your first try, and you have 2 weeks, i wouldnt go and try nurbs, they could be handy but mostly they are just a pain .

its better to go with poly modelling, get some reference pictures, side top and front view, and model it part by part, get some blue print etc.
its good to start from from the bottom up, it helps in placing things later, make basic frame etc. that is, if you have a blueprint of the bike, if you dont, than i would start with the tank.. than the seat, and go from there.. to the front fork, and the back etc. wheels and so on. poly modelling is probably the best way to go, also it helps you getting prepared for good organic modelling. also you could use spline modelling for some parts, a frame for instance.

just looks up some tutorials. and dont forget the help files that go with your aplication. very usefull also

Samo
02-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Since most of the bike parts are like cilinder elements, if I were you I would place axis in fist place. In many bike magazines you can find blueprints with general measurements. A good photo will help you to model the rest. Poly modeling of course.

Naisa Evoli
02-14-2005, 05:51 PM
ty for the advise everyone :). I aprciate it^^. Helped me alot just desiding where to start. Good luck to everyone. (ps, desided to not do it for my project, but am still doing it as a personal challenge).

CGTalk Moderation
02-14-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.