PDA

View Full Version : Manage displacement

Nicool
02-07-2005, 09:35 PM
Hi !

I'm wondering for long time now how do you manage your displaments in Maya. How you manage its size? I mean, how to tell maya (through a shader) white values of my map is 3 units and black ones are -1 for instance? (And what is useful in shapes displacement attribute tab?)

(sorry I didn't find any tutorial or decent info in the doc)

Thx thumbs up :thumbsup:

floze
02-07-2005, 10:15 PM
Total Black (rgba 0/0/0/0) is always zero displacement and total white (rgba 1/1/1/1) is always full displacement. One unit of displacement (total black to total white) seems to be 1cm. You may scale the displacement by scaling the alpha value of your texture, since the displacement node uses it's alpha channel as input.

For instance: You want white values to be 3 units high and black values (-1) units deep, so you set the alpha gain to 4 and the alpha offset to (-1).

Cant tell much on the 'Displacement Map' tab, I usually use mentalray's displacement approximation.

Nicool
02-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Ho thanks... It was just it. If I knew :D (I though it was required to had particular nodes to outputs certain values...)

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 11:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.