PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Achievement list from Academy posted (Maya, mental ray, Houdini ..)

bbennett
09-12-2002, 10:50 PM
Click on the link below to see a list of the eighteen technologies being considered for Scientific Achievement awards at the 75th Academy Awards early next year.

http://www.oscars.org/press/pressreleases/2002/02.09.12.a.html

Array
09-12-2002, 11:13 PM
what? no xsi? hmmmmm......

ggg
09-13-2002, 01:38 AM
does it have any new and original or well implemented features that meet the requirements? or has it advanced the industry to the extent of some others mentioned? perhaps not yet...

Houdini vex, and Deep Canvas are amazing advancements in our industry as are others listed.

I have been using xsi almost exclusively for a year and ususally appreciate it. Only the animation mixer seems mostly their own creation that others are replicating, although channel mixing, even far superior mixing can be set up in another app that has been around much longer, but admitedly with less ease of use. Their GUI and features are still mostly Softimage on an architecture with hopefully far more potential for more complete proceduralism that will be implemented in the future.

imho

Array
09-13-2002, 01:50 AM
what exactly has maya done to deserve this though? dont say fluids......theyve been implemented before.

ggg
09-13-2002, 02:25 AM
I am not sure, perhaps as a general advancement and standardization of the 3d cgi industry bu that's not what the award is for, is it? I'm not sure what part they are refering to, liquid phenomena? ;)

Houdini Vex and Deep canvas are definitely deserving :) as I'm sure others listed are that I am not familiar with.

icedeyes
09-13-2002, 09:10 AM
I think the only one that i will agree to is the houdini vex.... Purelly programmable and definable to the point of insanity... And think that i have been using houdini for only about a week... I love softimage xsi (it is my primary 3d package of choice) but it really isn't worth getting in the list because it lacks in simulation... Maya isn't worth it either.... Lightwave has a pretty cool animation mixer too... I hope the next release of xsi to be inovative so that it gets in this list... Wanna test the crowd sim in the new version....

ggg
09-13-2002, 10:47 AM
hopefully it will be really innovative in areas other than just character anim soon, after using xsi for modeling a sailboat for the last week I'm ready to go back to houdini where proceduralism is not just a history stack :annoyed:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.