PDA

View Full Version : LW character animation CD

proton
09-12-2002, 08:56 PM
http://www.lostpencil.com/ja.html

Looks very promising....This guy knows his stuff when it comes to character animation....and it looks like a great price too!

NanoGator
09-12-2002, 09:49 PM
ooOOooo temptin...

I just bought a book today called 'The Human Figure in Motion' for $30. It has stills of people walking. And they're NAKED! Heh.

Looking forward to trying some animation experiments. (And before you ask, no I'm not going to perform boning experiments.) :wip:

Nonproductive
09-12-2002, 10:02 PM
I own Paul's "Animator's Gym" DVD and it was worth every penny of the price. Top quality materials and he explains things while he is working so that you understand the why, not just the how. There is nothing better (for me at least) then being able sit over a virtual shoulder while someone works.

As soon as I saw this message I rushed over to order the new CD. Considering what you would pay for a computer book or a "commercial" training video today - $20 is a steal for 2 hours of video tutorial.

Mangled Poly
09-12-2002, 10:43 PM
Really sad this guy only sells through paypal.. i know paypal is free blah blah blah but they didnt seem to accept my bank account even though its in perfect order... but non the less this guy needs to get a little more professional about marketing it and sign it up with a publishing company or learn how to intergrade a credit card transaction through a company over the net.

DigitalDeuce
09-12-2002, 10:44 PM
Absolutely -- looks like a fabulous value.

$20? How can you go wrong??

I also know him from the 'net -- he knows his stuff.

proton
09-12-2002, 10:48 PM
Mangled Poly-

I would have to totally disagree...I think Paypal is great..it allows a single individual to produce his own product and sell it himself....I've only had great experiences with Pay Pal and I ordered my copy today without a single problem...

As far as him being professional...the site is beautiful...he did his hoemwrok on the formats and lays down all the info you need to know about what you are buying.....

It sounds like your issue is with PayPal and not th eproduct or Author.....

DigitalDeuce
09-12-2002, 10:49 PM
Mangled -- good points, BUT

that's expensive. I know. When I was selling my Sasquatch tape, it was expensive to setup for credit cards, etc.

Paypal, even if it has issues, is a way for someone to 'get out there' and market a product, then, with that one going, update and spend a little extra money.

Cut him a little slack, he's out there trying!

NanoGator
09-12-2002, 10:53 PM
Can one make a decent return on a instructional vid like that?

Note: Im not asking if one can make big $$$, but rather gain some extra hardware upgrade cash?

proton
09-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Nano-

If you have great content ..it will sell itself....looks like Paul has created something that will sell itself....I can't wait to get my copy!

Now if I could only bribe th epostal service to do a speedy a delivery :)

Nonproductive
09-12-2002, 11:04 PM
Just another 2 cents.

For your $20 you are also getting the fully rigged/textured character shown on the page, which is a nice "study guide" for those of you looking to do rigging.

I don't want to beat a dead horse here - I'm just very happy to see Lightwave specific materials from Paul.

lostpencil
09-12-2002, 11:13 PM
Hi Guys!

Thanks for the interest regarding the CD!

Hey, Mangled Poly... sorry you're having problems with Paypal. I haven't encountered any yet, but you never know. Anywhere computers and people are involved, you're bound to get some trouble! ;)

Anyway, in regard to using or not using Paypal. It really boils down to costs. You wouldn't believe what a merchant account for international sales costs per month. Not just to set up, but to maintain. If I get to the point where I have multiple CD's and more revenue coming in from the sales then it will be a smart business decision to get an account. It's getting there, but not yet. By the way, Paypal isn't free for me. It takes a bite out of each sale.

Also, I have another option for sales on the site (check or money order). So you can still get the product - albeit a little slower because it has to clear at my bank. If you decide to use a check or money order, just mention this discussion and I'll even spend a little more on shipping to reduce your wait time.

Nanogator: As for making a return on tutorials and training material. As long as people enjoy learning from my material and I can cover my costs for making it, then I figure it's worth making.

Thanks guys for the kind words, encouragement and support! Happy animating!

NanoGator
09-12-2002, 11:48 PM
LostPencil,

I very much appreciate the reply, but I don't think I conveyed my question too well.

I'm not asking about 'reward', I'm just asking if it's possible to make a lil extra pocket change.

Right now, I spend quite a bit of time privately tutoring people over the web. I don't get anything out of it really, nor do I desire to. I would like to grow my library of software, though.

I can't afford to get Sasquatch right now. But if doing a tut CD earned me enough $$$ to get it, then I could purchase it, then make a tut about Sasquatch. That'd get me more $$$, then I could get Impact. And the cycle continues.

That make sense? In other words, the work I put into teaching other people provides an avenue for me to continue my own education.

proton
09-12-2002, 11:58 PM
I'm sure that you could make enuff to purchace plug-ins and other apps.....just give us some good content and we will give you cash!:thumbsup:

lostpencil
09-13-2002, 12:06 AM
Hey NanoGator!

Ok, I understand, but don't forget a little bit of cash is still a reward!

It's like Proton said, if you have something people want then you can make some money. The question then becomes how much will I make? Well, it depends on your product and overhead. If you have a good product and no overhead (or very little overhead like an upgrade, Sasquatch, Impact or...), then Sasquatch is yours in no time!

So when I said, "as long as I can cover my costs", it means that if it took me a month to create a training DVD, full time, then sales need to cover my costs for that month. If it does this, then as far as I'm concerned it is a successful project. I've created a second CD. That means something ;)

Will you make enough to pay for Sasquatch or Impact? Depends on the product, pricing, and marketing. The short answer... you won't know until you try!

Does that help?

NanoGator
09-13-2002, 12:45 AM
Yep! Thank ya! :)

Mangled Poly
09-13-2002, 05:10 AM
Im in no way saying he doesnt know his stuff... im sorry im negative against paypal however i followed the steps and i got the small deposits however they still disabled my account. Maybe not CC but you can accept cashiers check via snail mail or some method...

lostpencil
09-13-2002, 05:15 AM
Hey Mangled Poly, I feel for you. Here is the direct link to purchasing the "Just Animate - Walk Cycle" using check or money order:

http://www.lostpencil.com/orderja.html

Hope it helps!

Mangled Poly
09-13-2002, 05:45 AM
Thnx for the quik reply lost pencil look for my order shortly! (probly next few days!)

minus
09-13-2002, 01:36 PM
w00t! back from vacation. :)
I saw this post and went straight away to order the CD. - Actually didn't even think about it first really. --- 20.00 bucks is a no-brainer to pay for 2 hours of video tutorials.

I hope this deal works out well for you lost pencil as I think the price is right and if it's quality work you should definately get paid..... and encouraged to make more. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.