PDA

View Full Version : maya 5 rendered hdr sphere lush, maya6 wont!?

anthonymcgrath
02-07-2005, 09:40 AM
I have a car I've been modelling in maya5:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v90/anthonymcgrath/car_inprogress16.jpg

the reflections on the car body are created using a sphere with a free hdri map from hdrishop.com and it created some fantastic results (or at least I think so heh!). I'm not using image based lighting or final gather either - this is straight mental ray with lights but thats never made a difference from what I could see.

I've now switched to maya6 and the same scene wont render out the nice hdri reflections in this image - its like its not raytracing or something. Is there something I'm missing here - I had a look through the manual on hdr stuff but there aint a great deal explaining the differences in maya5 and 6 mental ray :/

please help guys I'm at me wits end

edit: I have got the hdri map to now reflect in maya6 but I've had to boost the hdr maps colour gain from a value of 1 to 32 which floods the reflections in everything else (headlamps and carbon wing plastic coating).
I'm open to any suggestions - I'll post a pic of the maya6 render up tonight but I just dont get why it would render out the car paint without the reflections (other than boosting it massively!) differently from maya5

cheers guys
ant
newcastle
uk

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 10:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.