PDA

View Full Version : How to get my 3d into the real world?

Vagab0nd
02-07-2005, 02:39 AM
I am wondering if anyone has any experience getting 3d stuff into regular film. I am thinking to make a spoof of aliens landing in the near buy city, I got the idea riding the greyhound bus from Hamilton to toronto, the highway lights look like a flying saucer that may have been in hollywoods 1980's fx tool box.
I want to make it non chalant, you think you are looking up at an out of place light, and then you Zoom in on it to see it "break from position" and zoom off, some eye witness acounting of the event later on and that s a wrap.

Problem is that I am not sure what to do to join them seamlessly. I'm using Vegas 5 for this, as well I am using 3d studio max 6. Making the nodel is not so bad, it is the problem of gettign it into the movie...

I can build the ship, and I can make teh film, I jsut cant connect the dots....
grrr

michaeljr
02-08-2005, 02:55 AM
well there are a few steps. here is a quick run down, but by no means detailed how to.

1. capture the footage, edit it down to what you want to add.
2. track the footage, MAX 6 does have tracking software, but it's not very good, you will need something like PFHoe http://www.thepixelfarm.co.uk/contentfull.aspx?content=pfhoe.htm
3. after you track, you import the camera data into MAX
4. animate your model to match the scene, using the camera track date to recreate the camera movements.
5. light your 3d scene to match the real footage
6. render it out
7. composite it together which depending on the complexity will determine what will need to be done. you will most likely, on the basic comp, need to atleast color correct footage and soften the 3d renderings to match DV compressed footage.

if you do some searches around CG talk and other forums, you will find a lot of information on this probably.

mJR
www.mjrworld.com (http://www.mjrworld.com)

Vagab0nd
02-08-2005, 07:04 PM
Hey thank you for your help, I had posted a bigger thanx but it failed to render here, oh well

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 08:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.