PDA

View Full Version : People Texture Troubles

Tiziano
02-06-2005, 10:43 PM
I'm putting still photos of people into my arch viz scene and have problems with the edges. I shot the talent against a black background and then, in Photoshop, drew around them with the polygon selection tool. Inversed the selection and deleted the background (leaving it as an alpha). I can then paste them into another Photoshop file with no problem but when I place them on a plane in C4d I get a white/grey outline (see pix below). I place them into both the color and alpha channels. I'm also adding moving textures (Quicktime movies) as well and I get a similar problem. These, I roto'ed with Curious gFx. The only common denominator is C4d, therefore I must be doing something wrong here? Help :banghead:

MJV
02-07-2005, 03:45 AM
Make sure you're not blurring your alpha and textures with mip mapping. You may also find you need to choke the alpha some. Also make sure the color around the edges of your color maps aren't white or black. That is use a background color that won't show up too much there is some bleed.

Tiziano
02-07-2005, 04:10 AM
No blurring (I think). I've put the color and alpha channel screen shots below.

I tried taking the image (cut and paste) straight from the Photoshop file and then pasting it into another Photoshop file. No white edges there.

Tiziano
02-07-2005, 04:14 AM
Just went back to the roto from gFx.
No white edges on that one in C4d. Now I'm really lost.

I do notice that, on the channel window of the gFx import, the little display of the import has the background blacked out where as on the Photoshop import, it's transparent.

gFx import below:

MJV
02-07-2005, 04:16 AM
Change sampling to none. SAT blurs the texture.

Tiziano
02-07-2005, 04:35 AM
Fantastic, thanks.

I still get somewhat of a white edge, not as bad as before but not nearly as 'clear' as the video roto.

Incarnadine
02-07-2005, 03:57 PM
sounds like anti-aliasing from the original image, try cropping slightly inside the image area to trim out most of the original image AA. Perhaps try no texture AA (geometry only) on the plane in C4D.

Tiziano
02-07-2005, 04:10 PM
That's a good idea. It seems to me that I had the AA button for the selection tool in Photoshop clicked when I did the cut out (I've always left it on by default).

Perhaps I should do the cut out again as well? I'll be doing about 15 of these so it's better to figure it out early on :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
02-07-2006, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.