PDA

View Full Version : Help my first digital painting... please!

Shin Tsuki
02-06-2005, 08:49 AM
http://img239.exs.cx/img239/959/andyposesketch6ez.jpg

http://img91.exs.cx/img91/6893/andyposecopy0ng.jpg

This is kinda my first attempt at a digital painting, so I'm just sort of feeling it out right now. I know a lot of people go straight to color, but I thought it might help me to lay in some rough values first. Also, since I'm just learning, I thought I'd post my progress here pretty regularly for all the help I can get.

This is going to be one of two characters in a larger piece depicting a fight between this guy and a crazy four armed centaur thing. The centaur is going to be sort of behind this character coming around to attack him from the side. I'm not sure how to explain it better than that, so I'll try to get a sketch of the overall composition posted soon. In the mean time I'd be happy to hear thoughts on the pose, anatomy, and value of this pic. And any other tips on how I should go about getting to a finished painted piece. So go ahead and let me have it.

Shin Tsuki
02-06-2005, 08:51 AM
sorry for the size of the pics, I didn't realize how huge they'd look. Next time I'll know....

Thany
02-06-2005, 09:36 AM
I think its a good rough, and it's always good to do a value study first. I love Japanese swords. The pose looks good to me, but I remember reading somewhere that they hold katanas with their hands apart on the hilt, like in this image:

http://www.kjartan.org/swordfaq/bilder/kendo/duck.gif

I still struggle with anatomy, so I wont give any critiques on that. Overall, I think it's looking good. As for tips, if you're stuck and not sure where to go from here, try checking out the many tutorials people here have on ther websites.

Shin Tsuki
02-06-2005, 03:47 PM
ah, yes, I can see what you mean with the hands. A wider grip would give him a bit more control of the sword. I'll have to see what I can do about that. Thanks for the heads up.

Rudeone
02-06-2005, 03:50 PM
It looks good, I think the hilt however shoudn't be bend this much

Ducky Ezzberg
02-06-2005, 04:01 PM
Excellent pencils, great sense of tension

~Ducky Ezzberg, the Grey Man

lulaassassina
02-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Let me guess, your doing a grayscale in order to color it by using a Multiply layer?

Shin Tsuki
02-06-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks Rudeone, I think you're right, I need to fix that.

Lula, I hadn't really thought of how I was going to do the coloring, but the multiply layer makes sense to me. I'll give it a try. Thanks a bunch for the idea.

And thanks Ducky for the compliment, but I really can't take credit myself. The origional sketch was done by my best friend. We've been doing pictures together for years and years. Generally, he'll draw and ink the picture, comic book style, and I'll go over it with marker. Since he's better with line work, and I'm better with color, it seems to work out pretty good that way...But I'll pass on the compliment.

Tace
02-07-2005, 01:04 AM
It's a little too smudgey for my tastes. Try crisping up some of the lines.

Shin Tsuki
02-07-2005, 02:19 AM
Yes Tace for sure too smudgy. I was planning on sharpening it up as I went along. It should be my next step after I lay in the color. Speaking of, here's where I've gotten with that so far.

http://img171.exs.cx/img171/549/andycolorwip7if.jpg

What do you think? Am I headed in the right direction? I'm going for a firelight look, but I'm wondering if I'm overdoing it with the orange light. Should I put more of the character's natural colors in instead of just making him all orange? For the shadow areas, I'm thinking of a slightly blue shade. Keep it coming guys, I appreciate all the criticism.

Swoop
02-07-2005, 06:19 AM
His left leg shoudl have some light hitting it also i think.. othervise he is standing at a pretty wierd situation ... one leg in bright lighting, and then other in that ones shadoe.. not saying it should be all lighted, but at least some part of it should be hit by the light .. seems natural :D

Shin Tsuki
02-07-2005, 08:43 AM
I decided to tone down the orange quite a bit, and I'm happier with it this way. Here's the update. Any suggestions?

http://img206.exs.cx/img206/1424/andycolorwip21bb.jpg

Thanks swoop for the input. I wasn't sure how much light would spill over onto the back leg, but you tipped the scale towards lighter, so the next one won't be completely in shadow. It'll be next on my to do list for this pic.

Shin Tsuki
02-07-2005, 10:53 PM
no more crits huh? Well guess I'll just keep working then. I failed to mention that all I have to work with right now is Photoshop 5.0. I don't even have a stylus. *sigh. It makes things a little slow going and sometimes frustrating, but hopefully I'll be getting CS pretty soon. And then maybe (I can dream) a stylus too...

Shin Tsuki
02-08-2005, 03:26 AM
Here's the next one. I messed with the skin a whole bunch, but I'm still not satisfied with it. Any suggestions? I also workied in a bit more color and lightened up the far leg a bit as per Swoop's suggestion. Is it light enough do you think, or should it be more so?

http://img206.exs.cx/img206/8854/andycolorwip34tr.jpg

I'm about ready to start cleaning it up and adding some detail so it doesn't look so smudgy now. Oh, one more thing. Can anyone tell me how to get a cleaner image up on my posts. I'm looking at mine and they're not very clear at all. I've been saving copies of the pic as jpegs at 300dpi and about 2 inches tall. Should I be using a different format?

Shin Tsuki
02-09-2005, 08:00 AM
Still no more comments huh? Oh well. Guess I'll just keep working on it and put it back up with the other chracter later when It's much more complete. Guess it'll be easier to critique that way anyway.

jamesonq
02-09-2005, 09:04 AM
The early stages of the coloring seem to be going good, nice work ;P

I'm very new to digital painting, but as a traditional artist one peice of advice i could give you would be to layer the skin with a red undertone however possible, it doesn't seem like you are doing that.

Shin Tsuki
02-09-2005, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the compliment Jamesonq, and the advice. You're right, I don't have too much red in there. For a short time, though, The character was really pink looking, with a lot of magenta in the skin tone. I figured that since he was supposed to be in a pretty dark environment I should add a lot more green and blue, but I guess maybe I overdid it. I'll try warming his skin color up a bit more and see if I can fix it.

CGTalk Moderation
02-09-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.