PDA

View Full Version : Alias|Wavefront Ships Maya 4.5

Leonard
09-12-2002, 01:24 PM
Alias|Wavefront Ships Maya 4.5

Innovative Fluid Effects, Increased Geometry Flexibility, Substantial Enhancements for Gamers and Version Parity with Mac OS X Top the List of Outstanding Developments in New Release

Toronto, Canada – September 12, 2002 - Alias|Wavefront™, an SGI (NYSE: SGI) company, announced today that the highly anticipated Maya® 4.5 3D software for Windows®, IRIX® and Linux® operating systems is now shipping. Maya Complete™ 4.5 for Mac® OS X operating system will ship on September 23rd. Maya 4.5 boasts a number of major technological developments such as Maya Fluid Effects™ and modeling improvements, the largest collection of API enhancements since version 1 and version parity with Maya Complete 4.5 for Mac OS X.

“We are proud to be shipping Maya 4.5 on time and for all platforms, as promised to our extensive user community,” says Bob Bennett, General Manager of Product Development, Alias|Wavefront. “In addition to the stunning Fluid Effects technology developed for Maya Unlimited™, we have answered the need of the Mac community to provide version parity with Maya Complete 4.5 for Mac OS X. Our beta sites have been raving about the new features of Maya 4.5 and you’ll soon see the results in upcoming major motion pictures, commercials and video games.”

Maya 4.5 Highlights; Maya Fluid Effects Technology

Conceived by Alias|Wavefront’s renowned research department, Maya Fluid Effects will allow users to create: atmospheric effects (billowing clouds and cigarette smoke); thick, viscous liquids (mud, lava); pyrotechnics (fire, explosions, nuclear blasts); and space effects (comets, nebulae and meteors). The addition of a new Ocean Shader allows users to create realistic oceans through a displacement and shading technique; the ability to create buoyant objects that react to the simulated water movement makes the Ocean Shader one of the software’s most anticipated features. An extensive library of examples and presets is included in the software, with additional updates accessible from the Alias® web site. For more information on Maya Fluid Effects, visit http://www.aliaswavefront.com/fluids.

Powerful Modeling Tools in Maya Complete

Maya users have stated that they want greater modeling flexibility, and now the full range of advanced NURBS and subdivision surface tools is available in Maya Complete; this includes the innovative ability to convert from subdivision surfaces or polygons to NURBS. Smooth Proxy tools have also been added, allowing rapid building of high-resolution geometry with a low-resolution polygon proxy cage.

API Enhancements

Game developers, large production facilities and Maya's extensive third-party plug-in development community will benefit from the most extensive API release ever, with enhancements to the Polygon and Rendering APIs and the introduction of extensions to file referencing allowing additional API access.

Version Parity with Maya 4.5 for Mac OS X

For the first time Maya Complete 4.5 is presented on all supported hardware, allowing users running on different supported platforms to exchange files. Mac OS X users will have access to all the new features from Maya Complete 4.0 and Maya Complete 4.5, in one package.

For more details on the features and functionalities of Maya 4.5 please refer to the Alias|Wavefront Announces Maya 4.5, press release at http://www.aliaswavefront.com/press.

Pricing and Availability

Maya Complete, available for the Windows XP, Windows 2000 Professional, IRIX, Linux and Mac OS X operating systems, is priced at $1,999* (US) and includes Advanced Modeling, rendering, animation, dynamics, Maya Artisan™, Maya Paint Effects™ and Maya Embedded Language™ (MEL), an open interface for programming and scripting. Maya Unlimited is priced at $6,999* (US) and includes Maya Fluid Effects™, Maya Fur™, Maya Cloth™, and Maya Live™. Maya is available through the Alias|Wavefront network of authorized resellers or may be purchased online at: http://www.aliaswavefront.com. Version upgrades are priced at $699* (US) for Maya Complete, and $999* (US) for Maya Unlimited.

About Alias|Wavefront

As the world’s leading innovator of 3D graphics technology, Alias|Wavefront develops software for the film and video, games, web, interactive media, industrial design, and visualization markets. Entertainment and games customers include: Acclaim Entertainment, Inc., CNN, Core Design Limited, Digital Domain, Disney, Electronic Arts, Industrial Light & Magic, Factor 5 LLC, Midway Games, Nintendo, Pacific Data Images (PDI), Pixar, Sega, Sony Pictures Imageworks, Square Co., Ltd., Warner Feature Animation and Weta Ltd.

Alias|Wavefront is a wholly owned, independent software company of SGI® with headquarters in Toronto and custom development center in Santa Barbara. Please visit the Alias|Wavefront web site at http://www.aliaswavefront.com or call 1-800-447-2542 in North America. International contact numbers include: Northern Europe, Middle East and Africa, +44 (0) 1494 441273; Germany, East & Southeast Europe, 0049 89 31 70 20; France, Spain and Portugal, +33 1 44 92 81 60; Japan, 0120 764 088; other parts of Asia Pacific, 81 3 3470 8282 and Latin America, 770 393 1881.

* Prices are list prices for node-locked licenses; floating licenses for Maya Unlimited are available at an additional fee. All prices quoted are in U.S. dollars. International pricing may vary.

Myzery
09-12-2002, 02:39 PM
Ooooooh my FREAKING god.. This is the moment we've all been waiting for!

Yes yes yes... *order one copy*

GG & HF

Revilo
09-12-2002, 03:46 PM
Someone wanna buy me a copy :wavey:

Slim
09-12-2002, 04:37 PM
maya is overrated. :shame:

Pyro2301
09-12-2002, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Slim
maya is overrated. :shame:

HAHAHA you posted exactly what I was thinking! The fluid effects stuff looks cool but after seeing some movies of it (that weren't from Alias|Wavefront) I'm begining to wonder how useful it'll actually be in production. :shrug:

SheepFactory
09-12-2002, 04:51 PM
I wonder if I can upgrade my version 3 (which I bought for $7000 grrrr ) to maya 4.5 for $699?

fleetwood64
09-12-2002, 04:56 PM
i did'nt know maya was still around

DrAdamDinosaur
09-12-2002, 04:58 PM
Frankly yes, this release seems like it has a lot of gimmicks, and a lot of "cool" features in it. But lets face it, now is a good time to get maya. Who knows what will happen in the future.

fleetwood64: where did you think maya had gone?

jRocket
09-12-2002, 05:42 PM
Of course it's not a major release. Thats why it's called Maya 4.5, as opposed to 5.0.

Revilo
09-12-2002, 05:43 PM
So no one's gonna buy me a copy :surprised

gabe28
09-12-2002, 05:50 PM
Am I to understand that even though this is a point release, it's not free? Can anyone who uses Maya confirm that? If so, that seems strange to charge for a point release. Most point releases are free while full version upgrades cost something. Am I missing something here?

show
09-12-2002, 06:42 PM
Ahhh sweetness, i've been hoping they would release it or give more info on it soon.

Check this page Sheep Factory http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/products/maya/unlimited/pricing.shtml

Should answer your question

Node-Locked Licenses
Maya Unlimited 4.0 to 4.5 US$999
Maya Unlimited 3.0 to 4.5 US$1,499
Floating Licenses
Maya Unlimited 4.0 to 4.5 US$1,199
Maya Unlimited 3.0 to 4.5 US$1,799

SheepFactory
09-12-2002, 06:49 PM
thanks for the link Show! :beer:

gabe28
09-12-2002, 09:07 PM
Holly cashcow Batman!!! $1000 for a point release!?!?! Absurd!! All those goodies they threw in better be worth it and not just gimmicks. Then again, I don't know what the hell I'm complaining about since I don't even use Maya... but, maybe the price has a lot to do with that. At any rate, I wonder how many they'll sell at those prices. I bet a lot of people just wait for the next full version update.

SheepFactory
09-12-2002, 09:13 PM
most of the "new" stuff that comes with maya complete , were avaible as free MEL scripts from highend3d.com :annoyed:

beaker
09-12-2002, 09:15 PM
gabe: that upgrade price is for unlimited which costs 7k(was 16k 6 months ago). It includes the fluid system, so it is a fairly substantial update for a point release. .5 updates are usually pretty substantial(1.5 and 2.5 for example). The complete upgrade cost is only $699. Also, most people are on support contracts, so they get the upgrades with that and dont have to pay the additional upgrade price.

beaker
09-12-2002, 09:18 PM
>>most of the "new" stuff that comes with maya complete , were avaible as free MEL scripts from highend3d.com

Only the new modeling tools are(cut, poke). The new poly proxy is not the same thing as dirk's cps.

Array
09-12-2002, 09:57 PM
in all honesty, i would have rather have GOOD built in RIB or MI2 export like houdini has.....i would pick up maya in a sec if that ever became a reality.

bbennett
09-12-2002, 10:05 PM
Hold on - it is $699 to upgrade to Maya Complete -- which is what most people have.

beaker
09-12-2002, 10:15 PM
>>in all honesty, i would have rather have GOOD built in RIB or MI2 export like houdini has.....i would pick up maya in a sec if that ever became a reality.

Yes, but the version of houdini that has the rib and MI2 exporter is $17,000. A/w cannot exactly add those features without significantly raising the price. A single license of MR or RAT costs more than maya complete. That is why those are available allready as separate purchases. You can buy the Maya to MR or Mayaman or RAT for alot less then Houdini Master.

Array
09-12-2002, 10:22 PM
well....they dont necessarily have to raise the price...they just need to set their priorities straight. how many studios would actually prefer to have fluids over good renderman support out of the box?

maya claims to be a fully production ready product....but people still need to invest in MTOR or MayaMan, AS WELL AS a renderman compliant renderer to get production quality rendering.

as it stands now, wings3d even has better renderman support than maya does out of the box. shame on alias. kudos to the wings3d team.

beaker
09-12-2002, 10:28 PM
Anyone that can afford to pay 5k per processor can afford to pay for RAT or Mayaman. Why should a/w waste resources developing something that is only going to be used by the film crowd when there are allready plenty of other options. I would rather they work on their own renderer and add other tools then bother with a translator that probably won't be used by many people because everyone else allready uses a set of custom tools and RAT.

Array
09-12-2002, 10:59 PM
$5k per processor is only in terms of PRMan. Entropy WAS a good and inexpensive solution, at about 1,250$. Also, dont you think that having such an influential app like maya include renderman support encourage developers to code their renderers to be compatible with the standard?

Everyone would benefit if there was universal support for renderman. Companies like Splutterfish could make their producst renderman compliant, and have them run on softimage3d, xsi, lightwave, 3dsmax, and Maya at launch. Wouldnt that be great? That's just me ranting.....

I DO agree with you though that, as it stands, renderman renderers occupy a very niche market......it's a shame too.

facial
09-13-2002, 12:49 AM
I love CG, I love Maya.:bounce: :bounce:

MCronin
09-13-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Array
$5k per processor is only in terms of PRMan. Entropy WAS a good and inexpensive solution, at about 1,250$. Also, dont you think that having such an influential app like maya include renderman support encourage developers to code their renderers to be compatible with the standard?

Everyone would benefit if there was universal support for renderman. Companies like Splutterfish could make their producst renderman compliant, and have them run on softimage3d, xsi, lightwave, 3dsmax, and Maya at launch. Wouldnt that be great? That's just me ranting.....

I DO agree with you though that, as it stands, renderman renderers occupy a very niche market......it's a shame too.

There is nothing stopping anyone developer from making their software Renderman compliant as it is. It doesn't cost anything, all they have to do is adhere to the interface standard, and support a minimal set of functionality. Take Splutterfish for example. Rather than going with the Renderman standard, they've decided to develop a new shading language called Orchid. Why? If they just go with Renderman they have a higher probability of studios being able to incorporate their renderer into existing pipelines, and third parties integrating support for Brazil into their software.

say-g
09-13-2002, 01:13 AM
that picture down the bottom... with the face and the planes on it... what is it demostrating...

SheepFactory
09-13-2002, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by beaker
>>most of the "new" stuff that comes with maya complete , were avaible as free MEL scripts from highend3d.com

Only the new modeling tools are(cut, poke). The new poly proxy is not the same thing as dirk's cps.

Hmm I didnt know that. Thanks for the heads-up.

Edit: Just watched the smooth proxy video at the alias website , It looks very similar to CPS.

Beaker can you tell me what is the difference between the two , or can you point me to a resource about this.

MaDSheeP
09-13-2002, 04:53 AM
well, i'm buying it simply for the SubD support =)

also, Aparently they are Revamping Maya for 5.0, a major release and a major interface change.. just a rumor.. but by definition, that is what a 4.0 to 5.0 change is supposed to symbolize :)

Dmitry
09-13-2002, 07:42 AM
modeling tools are great in maya already...they'd better improve the rendering, perhaps build in GI....max5 has it...
Mental Ray is just sooo slowww...

angelman
09-13-2002, 11:08 AM
shame they dont fix and improve whats already there rather than continually adding new flash gimmicks that nobody uses.

They should just abanadon their attempts at writing a renderer it just isnt happening really.
Having seen xsi running with mental ray doing global illumination, it makes maya renderer look like a bad joke...

They need to improve the boring nitty gritty, the stuff people curse every day. Such as why the heck can I not manipulate the pivot points better. I am not talking about pivot tool box here either.

There are some fundamental issues quite low level which arent flash but would save a huge amount of grief in production.

castelis
09-13-2002, 12:02 PM
I think Maya Renderer is not bad. Of course some "TOP" features are missing and sometimes it looks little bit slow in comparison to Rman compliant Renderers. (for example when you are using displacement). But in day to day commercial production it seems perfect to me. You have only to establish intimate relationship with Hypreshade. Our main 3d app is XSI and when it comes to building shadernetworks results from Maya are often quicker and better looking. But I hope that Alias is going to look after it and think will be even better.

Ibanezhead
09-13-2002, 05:31 PM
Just got my copy this morning!!! That was fast...

Vic :bounce:

derelict
09-13-2002, 05:55 PM
I had a dream.... and the content says the lil' software called truespace could churn out RIB files. Am i really dreaming or is it all true?:buttrock:

madmanmagic
09-13-2002, 07:46 PM
Who is Leonard? And why did he attach that picture?

From Press release:
Leonard has attached this image:

What does the image at the end of the press release mean to illustrate?

Dan

Pixelmaestro
09-13-2002, 09:49 PM
I can save 900 US bux off a brand new Unlimited License.........

Whoopee

My apologies on the late reply-there have been a number of changes around
here and we're in a transitional stage. Thanks for your patience.
The price of Maya Complete nodelocked 3.0 to 4.5 is $1099.00, and the cost to
go from Complete to Unlimited is $4999.00. The total cost for both would be
$6098.00
The 5 pack service call option is $449.00 USD. FOr more information on this,
please check out our website at
http://www.aliaswavefront.com/en/Tmpl/Maya/html/index.jhtml;$sessionid$1SUVIC
IAAJU2ZQCLCVBRT4Q?page=/en/Community/Support/support_programs/single_incident
_pack_m.html

Also, your local reseller, Snader and Associates, phone # (415) 257-8480 will
be able to assist you with any other questions you may have.

ilasolomon
09-13-2002, 10:53 PM
even if maya costs for $100 or less, it's a PRO software usable
for BIG production companies, not for individual/freelancer artists,(most of them)
i like the way it works, but not suitable for me as a freelancer that
doing everything by myself! ;) if you are gonna find a job in
WETA or ILM you should learn it but no need to know everything,
coz in big houses they work very modular. & almost you have
some TDs beside that write some usefull MEL scripts or shaders that
you need badly! (& probably you can't handle it by yourself)

playmesumch00ns
09-16-2002, 12:10 PM
But I like doing it all myself!

Does anyone know exactly what the API enhancements are? If my uni upgrades to 4.5 maybe I'll write my render plugin for Maya after all and not go the RenderMan route!

Seriously tho, I think it is a little gimmicky, this Fluid Effects thing. While Alias boast that it does all those different things, how good will it be really? I agree that maybe a bit better RIB support out of the box would have been more worthwhile, but then Maya's just so beautiful, how do you make it better?

I hope they're saving the huge renderer upgrade for version 5.0!

I LOVE MAYA!

Ckerr812
09-16-2002, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by ila_solomon
even if maya costs for $100 or less, it's a PRO software usable
for BIG production companies, not for individual/freelancer artists,(most of them)
i like the way it works, but not suitable for me as a freelancer that
doing everything by myself! ;) if you are gonna find a job in
WETA or ILM you should learn it but no need to know everything,
coz in big houses they work very modular. & almost you have
some TDs beside that write some usefull MEL scripts or shaders that
you need badly! (& probably you can't handle it by yourself)

Hey yea..that's true. I like to think of maya as a team package. Not liike other point and click programs, were you can tell what program it was made right away by the animation or modelling.

It's use is for production studios with a talented team that can script and mold maya into EXACTLY what they want. The little flash things like paint effects and Fluid Dynamics are really a starting point, this technoldy is just writen and condensed from Big studios to a commercial mass distributed package. And gives the programmers a basis to elaborate. (IE: even Mr. Cortina says that the hair dynamics from Square is based on the maya fur system). Sometimes it's not perfect when released, but if you have enough skilled people behind you, it makes for amazing visuals :)

It just amazes me how all the custom rigs in maya I have seen are so amazing, that some of the smaller companies will switch to an easier set up just because they don't have the time or brain power to customize Maya the way they want. And instead of hiring Technical directors and Programmers they will hire 50 animators instead to make up for production pipeline problems, when if they had their pipline down perfect, they could easly do the work with 10 animators.

Sorry bout the long winded post, just something I had to say. :)

Mauritius
09-17-2002, 09:39 PM
as it stands now, wings3d even has better renderman support than maya does out of the box. shame on alias. kudos to the wings3d team.

Short answer: No, Wings' export is not in the least way better than what comes with Maya.

I posted a longer answer in the wings forum -- http://pub33.ezboard.com/fnendowingsmiraifrm1.showMessage?topicID=1202.topic
Both exporters lack and I really like to hear how Maya's lacks more than Wings'

Besides, I'm currently improving Wings' RMan exporter. So you statement may become true in the near future.

Cheers,

.mm

Array
09-18-2002, 03:03 AM
maya's rib output only writes polygons to RIB. Wings3d can at least do subD and lights....

beaker
09-18-2002, 07:18 AM
I probably mentioned this before, but Larry Gritz wrote the rib exporter that is included with maya. Just an interesting fact.

red_oddity
09-18-2002, 09:02 AM
I'm sorry, who?:shrug:

Mauritius
09-18-2002, 11:52 AM
Maya's RIB exporter also writes out NURBS. When Maya 1.0 was released, there where no SDS -- neither did any RMan renderer support them, nor did Maya. The fact that the exporter hasn't been updated since is sad and a shame though.

Wings' RMan export lacks in the same way as Maya's: no support for custom shaders (the bread & butter of RMan!) and this includes lightsource shaders, of course, no support for shadow- or environment map generation, no support for basic options like PixelFilter etc., no support for RIB archives, no support for LOD etc., etc.
A good RMan exporter must do far more than plain exporting geometry. That task is the one which is most easily archived from a coder's pov.

Larry Gritz is the author of BMRT and lead coder of Entropy, the most advanced RMan compliant renderer there was until now. He worked at Pixar and later founded Exluna, a company that recently was sued out-of business by Pixar.
The Maya RIB exporter is linked against a RIB-client library Larry once wrote for Alias, in the old PowerAnimator days, when he needed some money. Larry has absoluetely no credit (good or bad one) in Maya's RIB exporter.

Cheers,

Moritz

red_oddity
09-18-2002, 12:35 PM
Ah him..too bad about Entropy though (i really hate this development that's going on in the media industry (every one is sueing every one..), btw, if i sell pencils and brushes, will they sue me for creating a tool that remotely looks like someone elses?)

But people like him will eventually land on their feet again (long enough anyway before someone else f***s him or kicks him down again)

Array
09-18-2002, 08:01 PM
Actually...Larry Gritz and the rest of the Exluna team all have VERY cozy jobs at Nvidia now.

ambient-whisper
09-18-2002, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Dmitry
modeling tools are great in maya already

your joking right? because thats one area i feel that needs a major revamp. forget rendering. with proper care you can get amazing renders out of it without GI.

levius
09-19-2002, 07:18 AM
Looks great, anyway I ve bought Maya 3 for 8200 USD so I am going to wait till they will cut the price to 1/4 again :p

googlo
09-23-2002, 07:31 AM
Anyone that can afford to pay 5k per processor can afford to pay for RAT or Mayaman. Why should a/w waste resources developing something that is only going to be used by the film crowd when there are allready plenty of other options.

Because AlW said the that the whole point they were making Maya available at such lower prices was to make it more available to artists everywhere, not big companies.. They were doing that aready beforehand.

beaker
09-23-2002, 10:27 AM
>>Because AlW said the that the whole point they were making Maya available at such lower prices was to make it more available to artists everywhere, not big companies.. They were doing that aready beforehand.

I don't understand your point and I think you were missing my point.

If a/w is trying to make the software more available for artists everywhere, then why would they spend a bunch of resources on a plugin that works with a product (prman) that is allready out of the price range of all those artists everywhere(5k per processor)? It's like them giving away the Maya to MR plugin but then saying, oh, btw, you need to pay another $2500 per processor for MR to actually use the plugin we made for you. You have a steering wheel and a drivers seat, but no car to put it in.

marko-p
09-23-2002, 12:03 PM
I was just wandering about manuals..... Does anyone know whether there will be manuals shipped with Maya 4.5 i've heard that they will now be on disc.......BOOOO!

I would be really dissapointed if they come on disc because i like to look at the manual whilst working on the screen.....

small gripe but does anyone know?

googlo
09-23-2002, 01:59 PM
[QUOTE]If a/w is trying to make the software more available for artists everywhere, then why would they spend a bunch of resources on a plugin that works with a product (prman) that is allready out of the price range of all those artists everywhere(5k per processor)? It's like them giving away the Maya to MR plugin but then saying, oh, btw, you need to pay another $2500 per processor for MR to actually use the plugin we made for you. You have a steering wheel and a drivers seat, but no car to put it in.QUOTE]

Exactly, why would they say something like that and do what you are talking about unless..
..... that 'nice' statement they made was a bunch of BS to make people more easy about why they were dropping the price of their product by thousands of dollars. I'm not trying to prey on AlW alone, it's just that in light of stuff you are talking about and they way they were representing themselves several months ago, just comes off as being very patronizing. The statement I made was more a rhetorical one about it. :) Just trying to wipe away their veneer of "We have YOUR interests at heart, not ours!" *baby deer seen bouncing across the dew laiden field as the first sun breaks; announcing the new morning*

Ibanezhead
09-23-2002, 05:39 PM
Mine came with :

How to Install
What's New in Maya 4.5
and Release Notes,
I think...

Instant Maya, and everything else were on the CD...

Vic

SheepFactory
09-23-2002, 05:46 PM
yeah the Maya packaging is getting smaller by each new release.

soon it'll come as a single cd-rw in a plastic bag.

beaker
09-23-2002, 06:14 PM
A/W never sends full docs for .5 releases. I got the same thing for 1.5 and 2.5.

ambient-whisper
09-23-2002, 06:22 PM
you would think that they would atleast put in a full manual for fluids though since its a whole new area in maya no ?

Array
09-23-2002, 06:53 PM
the whole benefit of having packages like maya come with renderman support out of the box, is that you wouldnt see package dependant rendering systems anymore. If Max, Softimage, Maya, LightWave and friends all came with renderman support, im pretty sure that companies like Cebas and Splutterfish would have made their renderers renderman compliant.

An attitude like "so what if you all have a renderman plugin, you still have to pay $5000 per CPU for prman" is EXACTLY what is keeping the renderman standard from becoming what it was originally intended for.

googlo
09-23-2002, 08:48 PM
array,

But wouldn't doing something like that make sort of like an evolutionary bottleneck in the progress?

Array
09-23-2002, 08:56 PM
what do you mean? the whole purpose of the renderman standard was that so rendering technology could evolve independantly of modelling/animation software.

googlo
09-23-2002, 09:06 PM
Oh so renderman is just like a communication protocal between a cgi program and a renderer, kind like like how midi is a standard communication protocol between various kinds of equipment that do different things?

Array
09-23-2002, 09:14 PM
exactly :beer:

mind
09-25-2002, 05:47 AM
Guys, for those of you who think the new fluid effects fx feature in Maya 4.5 is just a toy...well...think again. It's Amazing!!!
The little videos you see at the AW site are a Joke compared with what you can actually accomplish with it.
Of course if you go around pushing buttons and seeing what happens will never give you decent production results, the little buttons and the interface itself are just a starting point, a very good one though that you actually need to grasp in order to get good results. Nothing good comes outta pushing a couple of buttons. Fluid Effects when combined with Mel scripts, Particle expressions and the Shading Networks is amazing, you can create virtually anything you want to behave as a fluid, at some point, depending on your knowledge of Mel, it gives uncomparable results comparing to Arete plugins, also considering it's level of integration. As a Maya particles/dynamics TD, I think that this is a welcome new addition which opens new creative possibilities towards something which, has been quite difficult to achieve successfully in a production environment within Maya alone.

Try to remember Maya is kinda like an operating system, it's a bit like linux, it's open...and gives you freedom.
Practice and knowledge mean power. If you got'em, use'em and you'll see that nothing is like it seems.
It's simple but some people often forget it.

Ckerr812: Your comments are very constructive and very informative.

kamil_w
09-25-2002, 08:20 AM
Could you show us some of your work done in Maya Fluid Effects?

derelict
09-25-2002, 08:53 AM
I'll take your word for it Mind.;)

Oh, did i tell you i'm a max user? No, seriously. I'm planning to jump towards Maya... but it doesn't mean i'll chuck Max in a corner. I just got hold of Maya personal learning kit. Well, i donno if fluid is inside though.

Simply having another tool handy thats all.

mind
09-26-2002, 06:57 PM
Kamil_W: I can't show you anything here since it's not my project and I'm not allowed. Even when the project is finished I would still have to ask permision to get it as part of my portfolio/reel!.

I would love to share it with you guys but the last time I showed something here, I got the most positive comments and everybody was thrilled, but I almost got in trouble,...so nowadays I'm more careful but know that I would very much like to share it with you guys. All I can do for now is just share knowledge, techniques and work that doesn't belong to others. I'm working in a personal project for a long time now involving particles and dynamics and when I finish I will post some of it here at Cgtalk.

Derelict: hehehe, I started with 3dstudio for DOS and then jumped onto a software that used to run on SGI called Dynamation...I used 3dsmax a lot in the beginning and I still use it whenever necessary, don't drop it, it's one of the most powerful tools around and now with the support from discreet,..even more! Although my main tool is Maya, that's due to learning issues, it takes a long time to grasp and know such complicated pieces of software like 3dsmax, XSI and Maya, but I always use everything in hand in order to complete a project or portrait a vision or idea...so software packages are just that, all you do is just choose one that you feel comfortable with or that your company is using.
The endless phrase: it's just a tool and all the blah blah you problably already know.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.