PDA

View Full Version : Need help with tomCat Toonshader!!

unapimper
02-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Hey guys, I am new to this forum, and most of all, very new to TomCat toonshader and still kind of beginner/moderate'ish in Maya. I want to try out the toonshader really badly. The toonshade.com site is down now, and I need to know how to even start usi ng the plugin. I just installed it, so where and how do I even begin using it in Maya?

Keep in mind I am still new, so a step by step would help:P Treat me like an idiot!

BTW, I have a few models ready to apply toonshader to, so I can't wait!

Thanks all in advance!!

anthonymcgrath
02-07-2005, 11:23 AM
if I remember rightly the tomcat cartoon shader came with some pretty good tutorials for getting started on it. I think it has to be loaded up with the plugin manager firstly, then you can link up a toonshader to your shading network in the hypershade. This node then lets you select a paintfx brush as a line-art renderer so you can use all the presets in maya :)

I'm probably way off the mark there and I'm sorry the explanations is lame and not very detailed but I'll have a snout about for some tootorials for you :)

its a bloody good plugin from what I remember!

*edit*

found some stuff on 3dluvr.com - they say you simply create a new cartoonshader in the hypershade, attach a brush to it and hit render (maya software not MR)
heres the url:
http://www.3dluvr.com/content/news/269

unapimper
02-08-2005, 06:32 PM
Thanks guy! I can get it to work!! What I want most out of this plugin is to get a nice cel-shading look, like Akira, Futurama or any cel-animations out there... there are sooo many settings that needs to be tuned and I have no idea what a lot of those weird words in the settings mean.

Do you or anyone else know of a setting that gives a nice cel-look? Like what value for which setting and which boxes to check, etc...

Thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
02-08-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.