PDA

View Full Version : Power book G4, or goboxx?

BlueSamurai
02-04-2005, 10:58 PM
Hello,

I am looking to purchase a laptop, but I stuck between a goboxx and a powerbook. Could someone with expirience in both systems let me know which you found better and/or more reliable? I am not sure about a powerbook, as I have never used a mac before. I am just trying to figure out which one will give me the best performance. If someone could give the pros and cons of each it would be most helpful.

Thanks,
Grant :buttrock:

Saurus
02-04-2005, 11:56 PM
Depend what software you want to use? Being a CG forum, I guess you going to be doing CG stuff. Let’s say money to buy CG software is no object and you just want to know which machine will fill your CG needs. Both machines have their strong point and weak point. Boxx has definitely faster processor and a video card that will handle heavier cg work. The only issue with Boxx is its’ size and is power hog. G4 having lower processor speed won’t have the same power need as Boxx and will give you maybe an hour or so battery power. It’s also lighter unless you go for the bigger 17 inch which 7 pounds, but still lighter to Boxx’s 11 pounds. Lots of software are available for both laptop. Boxx, being Window base offers more software, like 3D Max and XSI, but if you are an editor and Final Cut is your cup of tea, then G4 is your only solution. If you are not 100 percent sold on Boxx, a lot of the laptop shortcoming, describe above, can fixed by going for other laptops that offers mobile chip base processor.

Shogmaster
02-05-2005, 12:36 AM
I'm sorry, but unless you cannot live without OSX, buying a powerbook with the now ancient G4 proc is just rediculous for any serious CG work, especially for 3D.

Ed Caracappa
02-05-2005, 12:43 AM
If you decide on a GoBOXX call me! I'd be happy to help you out.

Ed

zeroice013
02-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Ed,

So what kind of price should we expect on the new GoBoxx? My bank account shows my tax return as "pending" so I should have my money next week. Right now I'm waiting for 2 things: 1) to see if Sager is going to offer the Quadro Fx Go1400 on the 9860, and 2) the price on the GoBoxx 2200 with the Quadro 1400. If the price is right on the Boxx, you've got me.

Ed Caracappa
02-05-2005, 03:34 AM
call or write to me on Monday. we'll figure out the configuration you need and I'll get you the best price I can provide.

Ed

Wintermute
02-05-2005, 07:10 AM
Powerbooks are nice machines
OSX is a wonderful system no virii, adware, spyware etc to give you headaches

Shogmaster is right about the G4 processor though. It is getting to be too old. The plus sides to them are lower power requirements and a bit less heat than a P4. Not to mention a 15" powerbook weighs in at 5.6 pounds.

Considering the fact that you've never used a mac before, I would suggest finding the closest apple store or authorized retailer and messing around with a mac for a while. You may or may not like the transition from windows to mac.

The latest updates to the line drew very little attention and has had almost no marketing push from apple, to lots of the rumors guys, this means that a G5 powerbook is on the way. (I'm hoping for an announcement at the World Wide Developers Conference this summer, if not there, Macworld Boston)

From what I've read elsewhere on this forum about GoBoxxes, you've narrowed your selection down to the best 2 vendors you're going to find. -anywhere-

Yes I'm a mac guy. I own 3-at home, and use one at work every day (graphic designer)
That's just my 2¢ on your choices and what's available

:beer:

greyface
02-05-2005, 03:34 PM
I'd go for the GoBoxx. I own a powerbook and powermac, they are good machines, but not for 3D work.

BlueSamurai
02-06-2005, 01:38 AM
thanks for the input guys, i appreciate it. I will shoot you an email ed, if I decide to go with boxx :)

hopalongmedia
02-06-2005, 02:44 AM
I too am interested in the Goboxx. Or Sager 9860 which has the nice price from PCtorque. What is the difference between the go6800 and the new nvidia card? is the Quadrafx better for 3d? I'm going to be doing 3d, and video production. What about the ATI x8oo?

Thanks for anycomments.

Dave

CGTalk Moderation
02-06-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.