PDA

View Full Version : AutoCAD to Maya

Mila
02-04-2005, 08:25 PM
Can somebody please explain to me step by step how I can import autoCad dwg files to Maya? What is it that I need to do and where to get the plug in?

Thank you so very much.

Mila:bounce:

Dret
02-08-2005, 01:11 PM
Tick the box for dwg imp. in the PlugIn manager.
I think its the right name, Im not in front of Maya right now,
so Im not sure.

Nalle

HowardB
04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
Ive done it, but its a painful process. But still using AutoCAD to model some things is always worth it.

Now Im no expert at this but Ill do my best. Usually for most things that are box like, nothing smoothed, Ill just export out as .3ds and using bonus tools .3ds import plugin to bring it into Maya. Then Id use the script called clearEdges.mel, for can find it at highend3d.com to get rid of all the nasty triangles. Oh and most of the time the normals get turned inside out to you gotta fix them as well.

Maya 6.5 has a .dwg import plugin but Im not having much luck getting it to work. First of all it imports a model and brakes down the mesh into faces 1-per-object! That bad enough as it is if you object is complex but then it will also invert all you PLINE curves too!

So I try and just import/export it as a .3ds and if any smooth extruded objects arent looking good, Ill use the .dwg importer to import just the plines in 2d and rebuild them over in maya.

Hope that helps If you or anyone else knows a better way PLEASE TELL ME! I would love to here it.

CGTalk Moderation
04-04-2005, 08:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.